Dusktildawn 26-Oct-18
Dusktildawn 26-Oct-18
Tooth 26-Oct-18
Woods Walker 28-Oct-18
Franklin 29-Oct-18
Tody 30-Oct-18
Dave B 03-Nov-18
26-Oct-18
Is it legal to enter private land from a forest preserve (that is no hunting)? Land I hunt is surrounded by forest preserve on all sides but one. I heard this is legal if you zip tie your cams. Anyone know?

26-Oct-18
I would contact local Game Warden for that info. Hate to get in a legal battle even though you are trying to be legal. Or oly enter where u have permission. Sure it's a longer haul but may save you some troubles.

26-Oct-18
Been trying to get connected with the right person for weeks, no one knows the answer. Figured I would post something in here. Thanks for the input dusktildawn.

26-Oct-18
I hunt next to a forest preserve as well and I would never take a chance walking through with a bow. I'm not sure what the law is but the forest preserve does not mess around.

26-Oct-18
I'm not sure, but I would try to get info. from a Warden or the owner of the preserve. Even if legal, it may boil down to your word vs. the Warden. I'm not sure why the cams would be zip tied, as having an arrow knocked is what constitutes hunting with a bow.

26-Oct-18
Franzen some federal lands require bow to be disabled not just bo arrow knocked. Zip tied cams qualifies as does bow in carry sling that is buckled. Suppose when you are in charge of law and order and witness some of the lowlife cheats among us, you become tuff on all hunters. Guess being safe is better than being sorry! I know one thing DiceBuck, under NO circumstances would I ever drag a legally shot deer on private land through the park! Will be backnoit tomorrow. Best of luck all and be safe.

26-Oct-18
Franzen some federal lands require bow to be disabled not just bo arrow knocked. Zip tied cams qualifies as does bow in carry sling that is buckled. Suppose when you are in charge of law and order and witness some of the lowlife cheats among us, you become tuff on all hunters. Guess being safe is better than being sorry! I know one thing DiceBuck, under NO circumstances would I ever drag a legally shot deer on private land through the park! Will be backnoit tomorrow. Best of luck all and be safe.

26-Oct-18
Which county forest preserve would really matter and their specific regs. If cook, lake, or dupage, hell no! Will or mchenry, maybe but again specific regs need to be checked. Kane, not sure. Some rural counties a lot more likely.

If we're talking IL local game warden will be less than helpful. I'd talk to someone who knows what theyre talking about at the fp. Ive done a ton of work on fps near Chicago, they definitely dont mess around.

28-Oct-18
I would imagine that you may be required to have your bow in a case? I used to know of some guys who hunted ducks along the Fox River north of St. Charles and they accessed their blind via Forest Preserve with cased weapons, but that was a long time ago. I'll ask some people who may know.

29-Oct-18
Your biggest problem will be if someone sees you... they WILL call . When looking for this kind of delicate information DO NOT rely on what a Warden tells you. Go as high up the chain as you can and then have them send you the information they are reading or going by. Get names of who you spoke with and where they are out of.

30-Oct-18
This might be an option. Get a takedown recurve, place in backpack and start walking. Get to your private land, assemble bow, get up in previously placed stand and hunt. I would be very selective of my shots, don't want to end up dragging one on FP property. Other thing to check is if you are in an incorporated municipality there is probably a law against discharging a weapon (a bow might fall into that category, check you ordinance). Why not just walk in on the one side that is not FP.

03-Nov-18
Many of the preserves near me are open sun up to sun down which would give them a reason to ticket you for trespassing unless you sandbag it those mornings. I like the take down recurve idea.

• Sitka Gear