Babysaph 02-Nov-18
Babysaph 02-Nov-18
Babysaph 02-Nov-18
Jim Casto Jr 02-Nov-18
Babysaph 02-Nov-18
Jim Casto Jr 02-Nov-18
Babysaph 02-Nov-18
27-Oct-18
There's quite a bit of coal and land company property in my area that is open for hunting. As far as I know, they dont require or grant written permission. Our law requires written permission for Sunday hunting. Does that include company land?

27-Oct-18
Company land is private land. There's no exception written in the law.

27-Oct-18
That's how I see it too. I guarantee there will be people hog hunting boone and Logan counties without written permission tomorrow. There's a lot of private, company land in wyoming county. I wonder how people hunt there on sundays without getting in trouble? I might call a local CO and ask if they enforce it.

27-Oct-18
Well if they don't give written permission I guess they don't want people hunting it. How do you know you can hunt it if they don't hive permission. And yes you need that if you don't want to get arrested

27-Oct-18
It's been the practice for years that if it isn't posted, it's okay to hunt. Almost all of the land in boone county is company, but only a few areas are posted, mostly around active mines. There's thousands of acres in wyoming county that aren't posted and people hunt it. Unless the law has changed, written permission isn't required by law 6 days a week unless the land is posted.

I just looked at the regs It is illegal to. shoot, hunt or trap upon the fenced, enclosed, purple paint marked or posted lands of another person without having in possession written permission from the landowner.

28-Oct-18
The law has changed I believe. I thought you needed written permission but down your way maybe it is different. So are you saying if the land isn't posted I can hunt on if?!

28-Oct-18
It's not just "down my way" . The regs say it's illegal to hunt on posted or fenced lands without written permission. The way I understand it, if it's not posted, fenced or within 500 ft of a school, church, or dwelling you can hunt there. You just can't hunt there on Sunday. I'm not sure why anyone would post their land if they didn't have to. That's why I post mine.

28-Oct-18
I'm going to have to look that up.,

28-Oct-18
You have to have written permission to hunt any private land that you do not own.....Period. Thats for everyday of the week including Sundays... Even if its not posted, you have to have written permission, and this year, you can paint the boundaries purple, same as a posted sign. The old way of if its not posted we can hunt it, is no longer like that, i cant honestly remember it ever being like that.

28-Oct-18
I was just going by what's written in the regulations. That's why I post my land. I guess if written permission is required, we can all save a lot of time and money and quit posting our land.

28-Oct-18
The whole paint thing....I am for it in a way , for the landowners, makes it easier and more cost effective for them............But in that way, more land now will probably be posted, due to a 1 time painting or every 5-10 years versus putting up signs that either blow off or are taken down...

Kinda a tough call

28-Oct-18
I dont see any need to post it period if you've gotta have written permission regardless. We've had trouble in my area with people posting land they don't own or have leased. I'll call the field office tomorrow since there's nothing in the regs saying you have to get written permission.

28-Oct-18
I could have sworn it was in the regs that you needed written permission to hunt on someone else's land.

28-Oct-18

woodstick's embedded Photo
woodstick's embedded Photo

28-Oct-18
I stand corrected. That opens up a whole new world.

02-Nov-18
Trust me when I say this , just becaus it says something / or does not say something in the regulations does not mean it is so. Read farther ,research , and research some more. These regulations are just a guide not a complete law especially when you are talking trespassing.

02-Nov-18
Trust me when I say this , just becaus it says something / or does not say something in the regulations does not mean it is so.

02-Nov-18
Trust me when I say this , just becaus it says something / or does not say something in the regulations does not mean it is so.

02-Nov-18
I know what you mean. I think it's even listed as a summary of the rules. Definitely not the written law. I look it up in the state code when I have a question. The other thing is, it doesn't matter what every body else does if it's not legal.

02-Nov-18

02-Nov-18
Written permission must be in the possession of anyone who will shoot, hunt, fish, or trap upon the fenced, enclosed or posted grounds or lands of another person. Written permission is also required to peel trees or timber, build fires or do any other act or thing thereon in connection with or auxiliary to shooting, hunting, fishing or trapping. Hunters who kill or injure any domestic animal or fowl, destroy or damage any bars, gates, or fence, or leave open any bars or gates resulting in damage to the owner, can be held criminally liable as well as liable to the landowner. The landowner may personally arrest any such person found violating this law and take the hunter before a justice of the peace for trial. In such instances, the landowner is vested with all the powers and rights of a game warden. BTW, this makes it look like if the land is not posted you can hunt on it. WV is one of 22 counties that require writttten permission to hunt. Also a land owner can arrest the hunter himself and take him before the magistrate. In this instance he has the same authority as a game warden. Now this is what I read. Whether it's true or not who knows. Now will you guys excuse me I have to go make some arrests. Lol. One of 22 states. Not counties. Sorry. Thanks Jimmy

02-Nov-18

02-Nov-18
Edit button?

02-Nov-18
Btw jimmy the edit button for me as you can see just adds to the previous post. The above post was edited into one big list.,

02-Nov-18
Good. You're catching on. btw... I'm going to hang on like a tick. :^)

02-Nov-18
You are:)

• Sitka Gear