UrbanHunter 10-Nov-18
Dthfrmabove 10-Nov-18
xi 11-Nov-18
Dthfrmabove 11-Nov-18
drslyr 11-Nov-18
29-Oct-18

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
I've literally been terrorized by a pack of 5 coyotes for the last week. Killed everyone of my chickens in broad daylight, of course when I wasn't home. Kids have come running in that the coyotes are in the yard when they're out playing, a real PIA. Well 2 showed up this am when I was getting ready for work. 30 lb female shot with a .17 at 70 yards.

29-Oct-18
Way to go xi. -1=4

29-Oct-18
What do you guys do with coyotes after killing them? I assume they aren't good eating?

29-Oct-18
Nice !!! Sorry to hear about the chickens though. Had that happen to us before. Never a good sight to come home to

29-Oct-18
Nice work. When I was in school there was a guy down the road that would give us 15 bucks per coyote if it was a headshot didn’t have to do anything other then drop it off at his fur shed some late nights and early mornings but I made some money and the local farmers really liked it to

29-Oct-18
Nice one Xi!

29-Oct-18
Fawn killers, take 'em out! We lost a lot of chickens over the years between them, raccoons and hawks. Finally gave up on the chickens, and I don't mind that there isn't chicken poop all over the deck anymore.

29-Oct-18
Love when they look like that!

29-Oct-18
I thought it was interesting state of Maine found that fishers target and eat lynx. They radio collared lynx in the snow and when they stopped moving investigated. Found lots of blood and fisher tracks.

29-Oct-18
https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/animals/2018/09/Weasel-like-fishers-prey-on-Canada-Lynx-in-Maine-news

29-Oct-18
nice ! i got a piece of one 2 weeks ago with the bow.

29-Oct-18
Fisher cats are crazy critters kind of taz main em f spellcheck. I’ve only witnessed a few and every time it was kind of crazy. Had one challenge me from a tree on a trail. without a weapon I walked way around back to the truck. Watched one chase a squirrel up the only tiny tree in the backyard , it jumped up about 5ft and grabbed the squirrel going up the tree, it eat it up at the base of the tree. First one I ever seen was the first time hunting alone with the shotgun. Almost to the top of the ridge I setup before daylight. 2 mins in I hear the frozen leave footsteps and something coming over the ridge right to me. Fisher 10 yards in front of me atop the hill we were eye level and it freaked out very badger like. I was young didn’t know what the thing was It was still too dark to shoot. I was extremely scared and was ready to shoot just in case. It ran past me and from that moment I was intrigued. Took me a bit to figure out what the thing was . I didn’t have the hunting resources then i told a bunch of people and thet all didn’t believe me etc.. It was an instant respect thing... as a teenager I feared little . fisher cats yup!

30-Oct-18
I wish he would hunt somewhere else.

30-Oct-18

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo

31-Oct-18
That's wild on the fisher's! I haven't seen one in several years in my Z9 haunts. In the Z6 areas I hunt, when I was putting in more time out there, I'd see several per year. The coolest was one I saw, then mouth squeaked into the tree. He literally came to the base of my stand tree and had his paws on the trunk looking up at me. Really cool! They make me think of a bigger than otter sized mink - that same sort of irritable and spastic energy, persistence and curiosity.

Amazing how much cool stuff lives in the woods that you would never see if you were not in the woods doing something like hunting - where you are trying to make the woods think you are NOT there!

31-Oct-18
I used to have chickens in z10 and had several encounters with fishers over the years. I was hanging around the base of a large pine tree when I noticed a few fisher kits playing near the base of the tree. Wasn't long before mama came to collect them. Another time I was slowly going down a tributary of the upper Charles in my canoe when I saw a big male on the shore. I ducked way low basically lying on the floor of the canoe and was able to slowly drift behind it as it swam down the brook to cross into a stand of pines on the other side.

I used to have ferrets so there's something about weasels that I find endearing I probably wasn't as scared as I should have been, especially around that mama. The only thing in the woods around here that really terrifies me are mountain lions. But they're rare enough I don't think much about them.

Nice shot on the coyote!

31-Oct-18

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo
wish i was in the tree when he showed up.

31-Oct-18
Matt - Mt lions are so rare you have better odds of winning the lotto friday night than seeing one here. Not impossible, but insanely low odds.

Bears bug me a bit. 1.) They have eaten people as close to here as new jersey; 2.) they are growing in numbers; 3.) some of them are frigging huge and you would stand basically no chance, at all, if you were attacked. Having touched a dead 398# bear and seeing pic's of a guy with a 500# bear from one of the Z6 areas I hunt... It's insane how big those animals are, dwarfing large adult deer.

Coyotes I figure you could fight off if you had to, though it would suck. But you are not fighting off a bear that decides you are lunch.

31-Oct-18
Reminder,

Bear season re-opens Monday.

Tekoa

31-Oct-18

xi's embedded Photo
Predator Pile !
xi's embedded Photo
Predator Pile !
So the stage is set, you want a piece of meat, here it is. 75 yards to the site. Pick on my chickens !

31-Oct-18
Have fun Xi!

Thanks for the reminder Tekoa... I was thinking it was not until SG season.

31-Oct-18
Boys were in a Plymouth neighborhood trick or treating, lady at the house says " Go straight home the same way you came! Showed a pic of a Coy-wolf taken 3 doors up a few mins before...... they shagged ass back to the house. Wish I had a shot at another one like the one that was in the back yard 2 years ago. Huge Dogs.

01-Nov-18

xi's embedded Photo
Female fox
xi's embedded Photo
Female fox
Haha, didn't take long tonight. Son sat with me, little Sister was curled up on the couch. Female red snuck in at a hint of darkness.

01-Nov-18
Xi, that’s awesome...

10-Nov-18
Just had one go by real quick

10-Nov-18
For you western folks with big predators. Consider carrying a civil war sword. I had one and it was insanely dangerous. Nothing would get in without sustaining life taking injury.

10-Nov-18

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
On the track

10-Nov-18
Dthfrmabove doe or buck ?

What zone I’m out and it’s quiet so if you need help let me know

10-Nov-18
I’m in the area if you need a hand

10-Nov-18
1SG, since this is in the predator thread I was assuming it was a note. Could be wrong though. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

10-Nov-18
*yote

I hate autocorrect

10-Nov-18

10-Nov-18
Short track job didn’t see any deer this morning and I think this could be why. Pair came in together

10-Nov-18
Maybe the deer will thank you by coming by next time you're out.

10-Nov-18
Thanks Bruce didn’t even notice thread title lol

10-Nov-18
Nice looking yote Shawn. Going to mount it or have the hide done?

10-Nov-18
that's a nice one! congrats.... he is smiling for the pix!

10-Nov-18
Going to get a howling mount of it. Maybe. Have to talk to the taxidermist first. Ripped a huge hole in the abdomen when I shot him. If he can fix it then he is as good as mounted

11-Nov-18
Good job Dth, not many people can pull off a draw on a coyote in a tree.

11-Nov-18
Thanks Xi. Def a challenge from a tree with a bow. Small fast moving target only the third one ever from a tree all during the month of November.

11-Nov-18

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Stay rover...... play dead

• Sitka Gear