Racks & Ridges 07-Dec-18
Johnny Mac 10-Dec-18
Ap1881 10-Dec-18
Sandman20 11-Dec-18
awh302 12-Dec-18
Dusktildawn 12-Dec-18
Ap1881 12-Dec-18
29-Oct-18
Any rutting activity being seen yet or bucks cruising in southern Illinois yet? Have Nov 1st-10th off and thought they may start a little early this year with the full moon on oct 24th and the cold weather the last few weeks. Hows the movement looking?

29-Oct-18
Interested in this as well. Heading up for a week on Satruday.

29-Oct-18
Seeing bucks with does and rattled in a decent one tonight. It's starting up

30-Oct-18
Depends where you are I have seen seeking but no chasing yet. Grunting and rattling is definitely in its prime right now as scrapes and rubs are popping up all over. All my shooters are still doing more night activity but have had one slip up just before dark on the trail camera the other day so it's about that time to start your game planning. By the 1st I'd be in a tree as much as possible especially after this big Halloween rain they're predicting down here.

30-Oct-18
Not my thread, but thanks for the info. The weather looks to be a little cooler next week. Hopefully it will get them moving.

31-Oct-18

Dusktildawn's embedded Photo
Watched this decent 8 wind check a nearby bedding area but no chasing yet.

01-Nov-18
Has anyone seen any rutting activity in Northern Illinois yet ? Seems like I have seen more deer in early to mid October than I have seen the last 4-5 days . Just curious

01-Nov-18
I'll say the bucks I was seeing in October have disappeared and now there are new bucks showing up on the camera. There are still a couple of does around but the bucks are moving and according to my camera mostly at night. Today I did see a decent 8 pointer cutting through the woods. This is in Northern Illinois.

02-Nov-18

live2hunt88's embedded Photo
live2hunt88's embedded Photo
My buddy rattled this buck in at 5pm the other night. He came in puffed up, checked a scrape and worked it. Walked right in front of him at 20 yards.

East Central Illinois.

03-Nov-18
Sitting since 5:55 am . I have only seen 3 does . Has anyone else noticed a slow down in deer activity ? I'm hunting northern Illinois .

03-Nov-18
Yea I’ve went from seeing doe after doe and several different bucks to nothing in the last 4 days here in southern Illinois. They have definitely just shut down in my area.

03-Nov-18
One small buck this morning. Had a small buck wind check a bedding area on Friday morning. Lots of night time cam activity still.

03-Nov-18
Been seeing alot of daylight activity, young bucks are pushing and big ones are scent checking bedding areas just around the shooting hours but still mainly at night. It's still not in full swing but it's getting very close in southern Illinois. Find the does and play the winds cause I have 2 buddies come down and I couldn't go out this morning but I had a stud 8 walk through the front yard and stop right where they went in and he turned around immediately. Just goes to show scent control and wind is a big factor on mature bucks. Good luck to all and stay safe!

03-Nov-18

buxandbass's embedded Photo
buxandbass's embedded Photo
hunted Randolph county in southern Illinois noon to dark today....perfect weather and wind. had 3 does come out last 20 minutes. Saw no bucks but checked cams and to my joy saw a 6 year old buck who I've been watching for 4 years moving mid day. He's getting sloppy as the calendar turns to November. I will be hunting him hard for the next week. Good luck to all.

04-Nov-18
Hunted central Illinois from sun up to sunset yesterday. Saw 7 does zero bucks. Watched 3 does feed in cut beanfield for 3 hrs without any bucks coming out for a look. Been hunting this large area for last 6 yrs and this is the latest that any rutting activity has begun. We sure could use a real cold snap and 3-4 fays without rain and wind. Will be at it 12hrs a day from 11/10-11/17. Shoot straight and be safe!

04-Nov-18

04-Nov-18
Had a giant chasing a doe behind the house in an alfalfa field today

04-Nov-18
What couty?

04-Nov-18
Saw a lot of deer the past 3 days. I’d say half the does had bucks with them. Nothing too big yet but activity was good. I’m done till gun season. Stupid work!

04-Nov-18
Dusktildawn, we are in Edgar County

04-Nov-18
Rain all day , I didn't sit today at all . Did anyone make it out and have any luck ?

05-Nov-18
I sat yesterday in the sidways rain. Saw a couple of does looking for an arc. Hopefully better today.

05-Nov-18
I saw very good buck activity last night, finally! They were on the feet looking hard.

Starting Wednesday, the forecast for the next week is all 10-15° below average. High Temps will be lower then the average low temps & not much rain predicted either.

If that doesn't kick the rut into full gear, nothing will.

Glad I am on vacation for next 2 weeks.....8^)

05-Nov-18
Lynn any luck out West? Never saw uou post any pictures. I agree this cold snap sure better amp things uo. Good Luck

05-Nov-18
Sat in a steady rain for 3 hours this afternoon hoping it would let up but no luck. Finally gave up at 3pm . Rest of week looks promising in southern Illinois and a cold snap this weekend will be just fine.

06-Nov-18
Anyone hangin' in these winds today?

06-Nov-18
I'm sitting right now . Windy as can be , but who knows ... a big buck might pop up . It's Been raining the past two days , the deer have to get up and move sooner or later.

06-Nov-18

DAVE EWERT's embedded Photo
Just to get your hearts pumping. These 3 bucks were killed yesterday 11-5 on the same farm. Northern Illinois. I would say the rut has kicked in.

06-Nov-18
Very nice deer Dave. congrats!

06-Nov-18
Beautiful deer, congrats.

07-Nov-18
Awesome Bucks Congrats!

07-Nov-18
Very nice!!!! Congrats

07-Nov-18

Sandman20's embedded Photo
Sandman20's embedded Photo
Just saw a nice 145 inch 10 point chasing a doe in a wide open field while I was driving

07-Nov-18
I sat tonight and it was windy . I saw nothing . My buddy sat at same farm on the other end of property and saw 3 different bucks an 4 sets of does ! And 2 coyotes ( which he missed one ) . This is northern Illinois . Small 6 point chasing a couple does . I guess the ruts on . I'll be back out Friday . How has everyone else doing ?

08-Nov-18
Yesterday and today saw absolutely nothing here in northern Illinois. Maybe tomorrow will better. Last weekend, Nov. 3-5, hunted western Illinois in Hancock and McDonough counties and only saw small bucks and a few does still with their fawns.

09-Nov-18
Heading down to Central Ill for 7 day bowhunt tomorrow. I will report how things are going. With temperatures expected to drop into the lower 20's things should be amped up. Going to have all day sits for 7 days before the Orange Army shows up! Good luck all and be safe.

10-Nov-18

VB's embedded Photo
VB's embedded Photo
Great day in the woods today . Saw seven different bucks in 3 hours. I called 4 of them in with grunts . The shooter just didn't come in the kill zone . He walked 40-50 yards in , but small trees in the way . He must had winded me since the way he came was where the wind was blowing. The bucks are definitely rutting / cruising .

10-Nov-18
VB what part of the state are you in?

10-Nov-18
Northern Illinois

10-Nov-18
Thanks. Good luck!!!

10-Nov-18
Sitting since 1:30 and nothing . No wind , way too quiet . What a difference a day makes ! How is everyone else doing ?

12-Nov-18
Hunting in North central Illinois here; have hunted from 11/2-11/12 and i cant recall such a slow start to november in regards to rut activity. I have seen a lot of cruising and was able to kill my target buck on 11/6 but i have seen very very little chasing compared to previous years; not sure why because the weather seems conclusive for daylight activity.

12-Nov-18
Blaze I agree 100%. 2 of us hunting Jasper Coutnty and have seen over 20 does but inly 1 buck. Zero chasing. Also have noticed frwest number of rubs and scrapes in last 6 yrs. Decent weathet, not sure what is causing this. Will be in stand all day next 4 days see what happens.

13-Nov-18
Dusk, Good luck down there in Jasper Co., I have shot many deer around Yale. Let us know how it goes the rest of the way.

13-Nov-18
I agree less chasing this year. With my experience Nov1-15 is the best but I think maybe Nov10-20 will be best this year in West Central. Seems to be behind schedule this year. Gun hunters will be lucky this year.

13-Nov-18
I agree less chasing this year. With my experience Nov1-15 is the best but I think maybe Nov10-20 will be best this year in West Central. Seems to be behind schedule this year. Gun hunters will be lucky this year.

13-Nov-18
Big Dave things changed for the better today. Saw 8 bucks and 3 does. 5 bucks were dogging does. Most action was before 9am near bedding area north of corn field. Bitch was all deer were within 50 yds at some point but never presented a shot. Tomorrow should produce some shots. Going to another favorite funnel between large bedding areas. Hope to have pictures tomorrow. Best of luck!

13-Nov-18
Been hunting Greene County the past 10 days. The first 6 days we saw plenty of young bucks cruising & bumping does. Since the cold snap & snow the buck sightings have diminished. Although Sunday November 11th I saw my first quality buck in 8 days of hunting. He was a 160-165 mainframe 5x5 on the move at 16:00 Sunday afternoon by himself. Got him within 47 yards but couldn’t pull him in for a shot. Monday was very slow but this morning I saw 4 young bucks cruising by themselves all before 09:30. I haven’t seen a buck with a doe in the past 4 days of hunting & I've been in my stands 9.5-10 hours every day. Good luck the last few days before the slug guns hit the woods.

14-Nov-18
I'm heading to Hancock County this weekend. The hunting is always good during 1st season, so I hope that's still the case. Are most fields already harvested? I live in northern Illinois and there are still a few corn and bean fields yet to be harvested. Anyone have any good Hancock County buck pictures?

14-Nov-18
Dusk..thanks for the updates, keep at it & good things will happen ! Good Luck .

14-Nov-18
I watched three young bucks aggressively chasing a doe for 10 minutes this morning around 08:30. I also picked up two more shooter bucks on trail cams between 01:30 & 03:30. Just cant seem to catch the big boys on their feet during daylight hours.

14-Nov-18
I watched three young bucks aggressively chasing a doe for 10 minutes this morning around 08:30. I also picked up two more shooter bucks on trail cams between 01:30 & 03:30. Just cant seem to catch the big boys on their feet during daylight hours.

14-Nov-18

15-Nov-18
In Union county, today my cousin saw a 6point following a doe in the morning around 8:30. In the evening they seem to be moving by 15:00; I saw two 2.5-3yr olds chasing does. The big guy didn't come out until after shooting hours.

15-Nov-18
Decided to smack 2 does for the freezer before the orange army enters the woods. 1st one walked intobedding area 8:15am & 2nd was feeding around 3pm on way to agg fields. Did let a 7pt walk at 30yds broadside 4:45pm and I watched a young lady put a great shot on him from 100yds away. I watched her walk in earlier and aet up. Whistled twice to let her know I was there, but she never looked up 30' in tree I was in. Fun watching her smoke him. He crashed about 150yds from where she let it fly! Congrats whoever you were.

24-Nov-18

VB's embedded Photo
Saw these walking in
VB's embedded Photo
Saw these walking in
I sat last night for a few hours and saw only two deer . A mature buck with a narly rack . Narrow , real tall and heavy horns . He was with a doe . The two never came within bow range and disappeared in the woods behind me . They were right in front of a second stand I have up . Made the wrong choice where to sit last night . Is anyone still seeing any rutting activity still ?

It was real windy too last night as well , but hey ... it was 50 degrees and there won't be many days like that left .

What's everyone seeing ??? I saw these two walking into stand . These are made after the Wednesday before gun season .

24-Nov-18

VB's embedded Photo
Second one , within ten feet of each other
VB's embedded Photo
Second one , within ten feet of each other

24-Nov-18

Ap1881's embedded Photo
Ap1881's embedded Photo
This guy I shot last night and he was chasing a doe.

24-Nov-18

Ap1881's embedded Photo
Ap1881's embedded Photo
Ap1881's embedded Photo
Ap1881's embedded Photo
Sorry for the blurry picture it won’t let post the good ones for some reason

24-Nov-18
VB....I'd stay after that Buck for sure. We are only seeing does no Buck activity. Nice deer AP congrats. What time did you shoot him?

24-Nov-18
Disktilldawn he walked in around 4:45 pm

24-Nov-18

24-Nov-18

24-Nov-18
Good Deal!

25-Nov-18

Was out this morning. Saw a nice 8pt trailing a doe early then 5hrs of nothing. Found some fresh rubs and fresh sign. Will find em soon.

25-Nov-18

25-Nov-18

Racks & Ridges's embedded Photo
I shot my 9 at 430pm on Thanksgiving. He was bedded with a doe and I didn't know it. I rattled after I got settled in, after 15 seconds I see him stand up and start heading my direction. He was only 70yds from the stand. He didn't see any visual so he went back to lay down. About an hour goes by and the doe I had no idea was their stood up. She took him right in my 20yd lane and it was over after that. He went to the taxidermist this morning definitely a buck I'll never forget!

25-Nov-18

25-Nov-18
Nice 9ptr !!

Good job getting in you stand u detected. Now you have a good story to go with that good buck !

25-Nov-18
R & R Congrats on a nice Buck well done!

25-Nov-18
I hope this snow helps get them moving . Unfortunately I won't be out till next Saturday .

25-Nov-18
Thanks guys, definitely pays off when you get to win the game of inches! Lock down phase in southern Illinois. Might be done for the season but you just never know with me. Good luck to everyone trying to fill a tag!

01-Dec-18
Well ? How has everyone been doing this second gun season ? My buddies who are by Decatur have not seen much . My other buddies in Galena sat from noon till dark and saw nothing . This rain has to s***. Hope you guys out there are doing better than they are !

01-Dec-18
Been skunked for three straight days now.

01-Dec-18
hunted Friday shotgun season in Randolph county. perfect conditions for sitting, 42 degrees no wind, cloudy, no other hunters, prime area......saw nothing. almost hit 5 deer driving out of area. hardly any shots heard in the area. could have heard a pin drop it was so quiet. seems like mostly nocturnal action.

01-Dec-18
I hunted Thursday AM (heard 8 shots in six hours) and Friday AM (heard 4 shots in 5 hours). A buck and 5 does were feeding in corn stalks at noon as I left. Other hunters I've talked to said they have not seen much movement. Rain, wind, and high temps caused me to just stay home today.

03-Dec-18
I finally got to get back out yesterday morning...I hunting 6 am until 11...saw a total of 11 deer, and I could have killed at least 2 different does and a button buck. The 1 yr old 6 pt I saw looked like he was smelling for does, but he headed off through some thick stuff. I haven't been able to hunt as much as I'd like this year, but I've seen deer and had several encounters each time I sat....just nothing older than a 2 yr old buck.

03-Dec-18
I finally got to get back out yesterday morning...I hunting 6 am until 11...saw a total of 11 deer, and I could have killed at least 2 different does and a button buck. The 1 yr old 6 pt I saw looked like he was smelling for does, but he headed off through some thick stuff. I haven't been able to hunt as much as I'd like this year, but I've seen deer and had several encounters each time I sat....just nothing older than a 2 yr old buck.

03-Dec-18
Lots of little bucks on my cameras the last 3 nights, no one over 6 pts and 2 were sparring yesterday. I didn't gun hunt but my neighbors did and they saw very little activity for daylight. Last good buck was a 12 pointer I had on camera at 3 am and that was Thursday morning. Post rut time for sure find the food sources!

03-Dec-18
3rd RUT will be starting soon .......... yearlings and fawn doe will be 'chased' ......

05-Dec-18
What happened to the second rut

05-Dec-18
Going to sit Saturday morning . I hope I catch one going to the bedding area. Is there a 3rd rut ? Something I don't know about . I think the big ones are back to being nocturnal . What do ya think ?? Good luck

06-Dec-18
I hunt 100 miles west of Chicago. At 4:25 had 5 does with a nice 10pter trailing They were making their way into the food plot but a few of the does got downwind and caught my scent. Couldn’t get him in bow range. 1st time of seen this buck on our property - trail cams or sits.

06-Dec-18
I hunt 100 miles west of Chicago. At 4:25 had 5 does with a nice 10pter trailing They were making their way into the food plot but a few of the does got downwind and caught my scent. Couldn’t get him in bow range. 1st time of seen this buck on our property - trail cams or sits.

07-Dec-18
Putting another bowhunting tag in my pocket. Scouted this afternoon just to see if it's worth the hiking again. I should of brought the gear (rookie move) couple big boys prancing around a doe in a swamp thicket. They're in some nasty stuff no way I'm getting a stand close but bet your a** I'll be waiting by an exit route the rest of the weekend.............the addiction is real!!

10-Dec-18
Anyone see much action this weekend seemed pretty dead in west central Illinois

10-Dec-18

Ap1881's embedded Photo
Ap1881's embedded Photo
I was able to get this guy Sunday morning but it was the first deer I had seen in over a week.

11-Dec-18
Congrats ap1881. Sat tonight from 2:30- dark. Saw 12 deer total. 10 were at 400 yds. Just gotta find the right spot in the right field. Hitting aga fields heavy right now. I actually like the warmer days better

12-Dec-18
AP, congrats on the nice buck! I'm actually looking for the cold and snow. A couple of my spots will pick up a bit when that weather hits. Here in northern Illinois it looks like its still a few weeks from that.

12-Dec-18
Nice one AP. Was that with the smokepole sunday? AWH I am also looking forward to uch colder weather, even though I work outside. Looks like we may have to wait til after the New Year for a real cold snap. I will be out and ready when that happens. Going to sit all day saturday and see what is moving out there.

12-Dec-18
Dusk til dawn yea muzzleloader Sunday morning. He ran about 150 yards through a bunch of under growth. It was so thick it took me 3 hours to track him.

• Sitka Gear