Rick 3 30-Oct-18
nijimasu 01-Nov-18
Rick 3 01-Nov-18
AwHunt73 02-Nov-18
Rick 3 02-Nov-18
REALWARRIOR 22-Nov-18
Rick 3 26-Nov-18
30-Oct-18
Hi Everyone, I just found out that I will be able to put in for / hunt Elk and/or Deer in Idaho next year. Unfortunately I have no idea about where would be good places to put in for and what would be available if I don't Draw.

I have Archery and Rifle hunted Elk and Deer in New Mexico for the last 15 years and had good luck, but Idaho's Website is not all that great for explaining what is available.

Could anyone help me with information on where would be a good place to start unit wise and what to expect?

Thanks, Semper Fi! Rick

01-Nov-18

nijimasu's Link
Check out this website at Fish and Game- You'll find links that give you drawing odds, success odds, etc. You can look by species and region. In a nutshell, good hunting everywhere. Mule deer in the south, White tails in the north, elk everywhere.

01-Nov-18
Thanks Nijimasu! I have seen the draw odds and success rates, but the tag process is killing me. I am not sure how to apply and how the units work.

Take care!

02-Nov-18
Rick, Welcome to or soon to be welcome to Idaho. I am in the panhandle and strictly use OTC tags here. Where are you looking to relocate to? That will probably give people in an area to possibly assist.

02-Nov-18
Hi AwHunt,

I am not relocating, but I will be traveling up to hunt from NM. I am a disabled vet and I am gonna be traveling up to hunt. I am hoping that once I get my wife up there she will love it and I get to move, but it will be a while.

For Hunting I am looking at elk and deer in the south central part of the state.

Good hunting!

22-Nov-18
I'm doing the same thing next fall. Ive been buying my Idaho license ever since they recognized the contributions of non resident DAV's, but have yet to hunt there. I'm leaning towards unit 43 because of the combined success rates on Bow Elk & Mule Deer. Most of the info Ive gathered was from F&G site. The mapping program will be important if some of your disabilities are physically limiting based on terrain.

26-Nov-18
Realwarrior,

I have been checking out the site alot and I am trying to find a good unit to hunt both deer and elk. 43 has been 1 that I found also. I was hoping to hear from residents or others that have hunted in Idaho sonI would know what I am in for.

Where I hunt elk in NM is aroubd 10k and luckily I can still hike and walk well.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to draw a tag in NM so I started looking elsewhere and lucked in to reading about Idaho and its vet program. It is awesome.

Where are you located? I am always looking for good people to hunt with.

Take care!

• Sitka Gear