ohiohunter 19-Nov-18
OCHO505 20-Nov-18
mrelite 20-Nov-18
ohiohunter 22-Nov-18
HDE 24-Nov-18
ohiohunter 28-Nov-18
trophyhill 02-Dec-18
31-Oct-18
I have a 8year old Tru Glo and the fiber optics are loosing their ability to stay bright in low light situations so I have started looking at picking up a new sight. I like the idea of the Black Gold Ascent Verdict adjustable sight mostly because I'd like to practice at further distances. I recently went to a 3d shoot that had lots of long shots and it was a pain in the ass holding my 60yd pin 2 feet over the target, basically all I was trying to do was hit the target and score a 5, it would be much better to hold a pin on the target. I see this sight as the best for the 3d world and for hunting but the cost of this sucker is kind of choking me up.

What do you have and why do you like it?

31-Oct-18
IQ with Retina Lock. No peep needed. Super concept; been using the Timberline No-Peep forever and then switched to the IQ when they bought Timberline and integrated the concept.

31-Oct-18
IQ makes a slider too, but IMO slider is more hassle than I need to deal with. I can get 20-80 with my 7 pin easy and I'm shooting a slow bow. If I were to change the position of the 20 pin within the housing I'm sure I could push at least another 10 maybe more . But I only hunt to 40 yards, practice farther when I can, so I don't need to reach out any farther.

Camofire had some IQ on sale.

31-Oct-18
Check out the slider sight listed on Lancaster Archery from Rocky Mountain. It's the Rocky Mountain Driver. Will do everything you want comparable to the MBG but won't break the bank.

31-Oct-18
One friend swears the EZ V Sight is the cat's meow. Very different from anything else. I haven't seen in person.

01-Nov-18
EZV is an interesting concept for sure, hope we see more evolution with it.

The more I look into a new sight the more I am tossed up with doing a 7 pin or an adjustable

01-Nov-18
Watch Levi Morgan video of recent caribou hunt. Yes he's an amazing shot, yes, he's an amazing archer. But watching him range the bou, dial his sight, re-range, re-dial etc. was downright comical. Any normal animal more wary than a caribou that probably has never seen a person before would have been LONG gone.

A hybrid fixed/adjustable sight can somewhat reduce those antics, but at the shot I don't really care if an animal is 33 or 37 yards. It's probably dead with either my 30 or 40 and definitely dead halfway in the middle.

So many things can happen leading up to a shot that dialing a pin to the gnat's rump isn't worth the amount of time and movement it takes to do so IMO.

02-Nov-18
I shoot a 5 pin Trophy Ridge fixed sight with .019 pins. I agree that having more pins gives you more range, but I think that shooting an elk or deer at 80 yards may not be that great of an idea. Shooting a target that the arrow penetration doesn't really matter on and shooting an elk / deer where it is critical are very different. I know at 70 yards my bow may be capable, but is it worth hoping that I get enough arrow penetration to kill a bull / buck and take a chance to lose that animal?

I have been able to get inside 60 yards on plenty of animals, so taking a risky shot is not for me.

Good luck!

03-Nov-18
I now have a bow with two fixed pins, 35 and 50. At 60, the bottom pin would be on its back (for an elk). Anything beyond that, I will not shoot.

Probably shouldn't shoot beyond 50 really...

04-Nov-18
LOL, I guess if you are at a 3D shoot any far shot is fair game and ethical....... all I am after is a sight that works for both the 3D and hunting world, a couple weeks ago in Cloudcroft I wasted 50 dollars worth of arrows and don't want to do that again, so it looks like my choices are 7 pin or an adjustable.

04-Nov-18
Hi mrelite,

I agree that 3d shoot distances here in NM get pretty rediculous, and that is why I said that using a 7 pin for 3d is good, but I don't recommend taking any shot pat 60 or so on an elk especially.

Alot of people always say that they have killed an elk at really long range, but ultimately they got really lucky.

Good luck!

11-Nov-18
One thing of note, when I used to do a lot of 3D shoots any moveable pin put you in the unlimited class with all the scope guys. Not a big deal if you’re just shooting for fun but if you’re not, it matters.

I’ve got CBE tek hunter xl pro on my bows but there are a couple of things I don’t like. The MBG Ascent Verdict with a dovetail mount is my next sight.

The cheaper sights are enticing but some don’t have third axis adjustment which is crucial. Some also have a lot of flex in the joint between aperture and mounting bar or just in the mounting bar itself. The long term durability and accuracy of these wouldn’t be worth the money saved.

11-Nov-18
Unless there is a flaw in the riser (as in not plumb), I have a hard time seeing how a third axis adjustment is needed. Up and down, side to side for sighting in, but rotation...?

12-Nov-18
JP, are you wanting a big ol long sight or more of a compact sight? I'm not a fan of having 7 pins, heck even 5 can give me fits.. with that said I prefer a hybrid sight.

12-Nov-18
If you don’t see how third axis is needed you don’t shoot uphill or downhill very much.

Or, maybe you do and can’t figure out why you’re punching guts or shoulders when you thought you aimed right where you should have.

Chances are, if you put your bow in a vice, and point it up or down at a 45 degree angle and then plumb the bow, your sight will not be level. Just a little off on the level can be 6 “ at 30 yards and even more the farther you go. That’s with the bow in a vice under controlled conditions. Add in the torque you induce while gripping the bow, uneven, steep or sloped terrain, a steep uphill or down hill shot and adrenaline, third axis becomes a major issue.

12-Nov-18
I'm gonna have to agree w/ HDE on this one.... I can honestly not name one person I know who shoots a 3rd axis that has been set, and just about all of them (formally including myself) are shooting from trees.

12-Nov-18
If the terrain is uneven in a way that tricks your eye into thinking you’re level and your not, it will make a difference.

15 to 20 feet in a tree, 20-25 yards or less, reasonably flat ground it will not be enough to matter.

My apologies, I didn’t know we were talking about tree stands and food plots.

12-Nov-18
Ohio, I don't really want a big ol long sight, I figured the MBG 4" dovetail is fairly adjustable for length, I want to be able to place the sight so it works for the big ol peep I have. I also need/want the 2" sight housing and yep I agree on the 7 pin cluster although I have never had an issue with the 5 pin. I like the idea of 4 or 5 pins and setting the 20 yd pin as the adjustable, so for the most part I do just like I have always done for hunting and for 3d shoots I just use my adjustable top pin, this concept is still just thoughts. I don't really care if I shoot unlimited or fixed sights at the shoots, it's just for fun.

On the 3rd axis, I really can't say I have had any issues with shooting up or down the hills, the 3d shoot at the Cloudcroft ski area had some crazy steep shots out to 60/80 yds, some of those steep uphill shots I had a hard time trying to keep good form, LOL I don't have a level on my sight, it fell off 8 to 10 years ago. I was just floating a pin 2' over the target so I couldn't tell if the 1st, 2nd or 3rd axis was messing with me. Just for the record, most of my kills fall in sight of me (mostly luck I imagine) so if 1st, 2nd or 3rd axis helps me any then that's just icing on the cake.

I can see where the Retina Lock sight that Smarba was talking about could keep a check on your form at any angle, just line it up! just not sure if I want to go that route because that would mean going to a 7 pin.

13-Nov-18
I picked up an IQ sight on sale to play around with, I prefer to hunt without a peep and used to without issue, but I'm not as good as I once was. Take a look at the Copper John line, I think they have a multi pin slider. I have a CJ single pin slider, but the design doesn't allow me to get too far out without interfering w/ my arrow. Also check out optics planet, a brand called rocky mountain driver has some interesting designs at less than rape prices.

I agree with the prices of sights, the sticker shock makes me twitch.. then I reflect on when I thought my cobra double bar pin sight was awesome.

Shaft..... based on your explanation it doesn't sound like you even know what the 3rd axis is for. If food plots tickle your pickle, have at it... but its not my cup of tea. Some guys are just too cool for their own good. Shoot straight pal.

13-Nov-18
Shaft - never ever have had the "problem" of which you describe, even before the third axis movement was a thing to be considered. Proper shooting form will correct up and downhill issues (even treestands).

Line of sight distance vs. true horizontal distance will cause more miss problems than not. Canting your bow, or rotating the riser, will cause poor shot placement (as in a front leg or gut shot) more than anything else.

A sight system with close manufactured tolernaces in the x and y axis will do more good than loose tolerances and adding a z axis adjustment.

Suppose I'll just continue to do what I do while having successful results.

14-Nov-18
When people like Randy Ulmer insist 3rd axis is critical I listen. When someone states "nobody I know uses it" I don't put much stock in the advice.

Your combination of bow/sight MIGHT be plumb and perfect w/out 3rd axis.

I agree 20 yards from a treestand 3rd axis and even horizontal/line of sight distance may not make enough difference to notice much.

But 50 yards at 45-degree downhill that 3rd axis (and horizontal distance, and bubble level) are going to be critical.

IQ makes 3-4-7 pin sights BTW.

14-Nov-18
Chuck Adams used to tell me I had to use Tinks.

14-Nov-18

smarba's Link
Chuck Adams reportedly promoting a product is different than arguably the best hunting shooter on the planet saying that attention to detail matters (nothing related to promoting a product). I personally don't care if you won't bother with 3rd axis. Like I stated your particular setup may actually be fine. Or it might not. Leaving a steep downhill shot at a trophy of a lifetime to chance "just because nobody I know checks 3rd axis" may come back to bite you or somebody else reading here.

I suggest understanding what 3rd axis adjustment is and why it is necessary. I've attached one link, a web search will turn up a plethora.

14-Nov-18
I'm fully aware and understand long before this post, but for my (and most others) needs it is unnecessary. If 3rd axis adjustments were absolutely required why are 95% of sights not equipped w/ said perimeter? Elite already expressed is lack of 3rd axis concern, further discussion of this topic merely derails this thread even more. Thanks for the link anyway, someone may find it useful.

15-Nov-18
3rd axis is made for a reason. Maybe you don't hunt where you need it but why not have it? I mean how often do you use 4x4 really in a truck? You don't but its good to have. IMO same deal.

To many people look at prices of sights before quality and features. I get people want simplicity but you don't want to cheat yourself by the same token.

No matter what you use just make sure you are proficient with it. And I don't mean practice 1 month before the season and shoot broad heads more 1 month plus before your hunt.

MBG is probably the biggest seller at the shop form 1 pin to 5pins. That said Rocky Mountain is good and Black Mountain all on the more affordable side but still good a product.

The upper end are CBE Tek Hybrid Pro 1 - pin sliders, Axcel &Spot Hogg all the same.

Currently I run a double pin. Single pin style with 2 fiber dots in the single pin allows the sight picture of a single pin but the 2nd fiber as a reference in an event that you dial to shoot and you have an animal move. I use the gap between the fibers for off yardages.

So I have a home of 30. 40 is the gap shot and 50 is the 2nd pin. If I really need 50 high is 60. Very clean sight picture for myself and as much as I shoot I am very accurate with this style. It is not for everyone but if you shoot enough you may like it more than 5 pins covering the target.

5 & 7 pin are great there can just be a lot of clutter to some, some people don't have the vision for that as well. Its really just preference. I can tell you more and more 7 pins become obsolete. Used to be everywhere but majority of manufactures don't even make them. 7 pin Spot Hogg Hogg It used to be on every bow in NM, including mine and now they don't even build them.

If anyone needs further help let me know. I shoot for some manufactures and a shop and have more sights and bows than a man deserves but I am lucky for that I guess. I can show people differences with out spending money is what I am saying.

OCHO

15-Nov-18
I was impressed by the price of the rocky mtn, OCHO can you elaborate on it a little? I like the wheel idea over the slider. Seems too good to be true compared to the mbg, $100 vs $230

17-Nov-18
Elite, I've shot the seven deadly pins pins by spot hog for quite a few years now, I've taken a muley at 65 yards and one at 88 yards. It's an awesome sight toughest on the market imo . Black gold makes a great 5 pin adjustable so does iq.

17-Nov-18
Ohio hunter, I know exactly what 3rd axis is for. Remember, I’ve actually set mine.

Thanks for the well wishes though.

18-Nov-18
"Proper shooting form will correct up and downhill issues (even treestands)."

Form won't correct a mis aligned bubble.

18-Nov-18
Misaligned bubble or sight...?

"A sight system with close manufactured tolernaces in the x and y axis will do more good than loose tolerances and adding a z axis adjustment."

If the sight is machined to a true x and y (90 and 270, 0 and 180), there is little needed for anything in between.

A bubble only matters when rotating your wrist. It has nothing to do with up and down when shooting, aka, proper form.

18-Nov-18

The bubble on a bow sight has only one purpose, to tell you when the sight bar/pin stack is vertical. If the bubble is mis aligned, front to back from the archer (looking down on the pins from above), the bubble will "run" when the sight is raised or lowered and the archer will can't the bow to correct. Flat ground it doesn't matter, uphill/downhill it matters. If the sight is made square, and the bubble is mounted square to the sight, as some mfg's claim to do, they see no reason to add a 3rd axis. That argument has merit unless you believe in the "bow torque at full draw" theory.

18-Nov-18
I suppose you're right wapiti. I guess I've just never paid attention to a bubble when aiming at an animal, up or downhill. Guess I just want to make sure the animal isn't going to suddenly move as I'm focusing on a bubble.

It didn't matter last year in Valle Vidal for the downhill shot, the year before in Utah uphill, and Utah again downhill the year before that. I expect it won't matter next time either. Once you learn bad habits you learn to cope and adjust maybe?

Misses in the past (and future I'm sure) are because I have just guessed the distance wrong.

I get it the importance of making sure your bow and sight housing are all plumb to start. After that, I really don't care...

19-Nov-18
So the Rocky Mountain is a great sight. It is ALL aluminum so keeps the bow very quiet (lots of sights will create vibe) and the sight is light weight especially for being dovetail. It also has built in drop bracket via mounting holes to the riser. There are 3 sets of holes to lower the sight to get the most travel out of the sight vertically.

The housing is nice, little bigger than I like but good size, has very very bright pins but they only come in .19 and pins are a little thick but its going to be very reliable.

The slide actually runs at slight curve as it supposed to match the shape of your eye at longer distances (never seen another sight with this).

Cons: * Some people may not like .19 * Will not get a ton of travel on it... Depending on speeds I would say most will get 80 - 100 out of the slider. * I was unable to get enough windage out of the travel so had to bolt the housing on the other side of where its meant to be (no big deal)

You can get them on AT often for like $80...

19-Nov-18
OCHO, Thank you for the info.

Quick easy check for level placement. Put your sight on a plumb board, like a door frame, tilt your sight up and down about +/-45*. The bubble will tell the tail, assuming your riser is plumb at full draw. I’ve done this with 2 different inexpensive loose sights laying around and both are fine. If you’re worried about this “issue” hang onto your receipts.

20-Nov-18
The biggest thing with anything bow related... People just don't shoot enough even supposed avid bow hunters!

Whatever you used you need to really learn it! This goes for your bow and sight. You guys would be shocked what type of people come into the archery shop and what hunts they have.... It used to be a small number of people its not 50/50.

How much to sight my bow in for me? Do all my arrows need to be the same length? Where is 16A and is it good? My broad heads don't even hit the target and I leave tomorrow can you fix it? We don't have brand X arrows. Oh? well I will take whatever is close. Can you just get my bow to hit the paper cause I can't pull it back and I will get it at camp!

One of my favorites: I was a world champion shooter and want to get back into shooting and start winning again!

Sweet! Are you right or left handed?

I don't know? Hmmm - you sure you were a world champion?!?!

Just some examples.

20-Nov-18
Darn funny stuff Ocho!

I appreciate the input from everyone, I've came to the conclusion that I won't be putting a new sight on my bow until after my Jan hunt. With all the bird hunting and holiday stuff I just don't have enough time to get it dialed in the way I would be comfortable or at least as comfortable as I am now with my current set up. When I do get a sight I will definitely set it up so the 3 axis's are covered, if a sight has the ability why not! IMO no matter what sight you have, or lack of adjustability, you are only as good as you can shoot, just go to any bow shoot and you will see dudes with all the latest equipment and guys like me with basic stuff and the scores are above and below each other, it's not so much what you have, it's how good a shooter are you! LOL there are some who can shoot lights out with their high tech stuff but I feel it is the shooter who dictates that and the gear only enhances their ability.

22-Nov-18
Optics planet has 11% of code, bfcyber, figured I’d give the RM 3pin a go.

24-Nov-18
"there are some who can shoot lights out with their high tech stuff but I feel it is the shooter who dictates that and the gear only enhances their ability."

I agree. Good form and follow through on a shot matters more than anything else. Your bow could be perfectly plumb and sight pins exactly level for a perfect 90 degree perpendicular intersection with the riser and still shoot like crap if you have terrible form and an inconsistent anchor point.

28-Nov-18
Just got my Rocky Mountain 3pin, impressed especially at its price point. Thanks again OCHO

02-Dec-18
Stay with your 5 pin site, crawl in to 20 yards and kill him! Win win. Meat in the freezer (as if that's ever been an issue) and save yourself 300 dollars. ;) Just the same though, I love these 7dp's. Although not sure if they still make it. The level acts as the 100+ pin too ;)

• Sitka Gear