sitO 10-Nov-18
KC 13-Nov-18
gamechangerop 15-Nov-18
gamechangerop 15-Nov-18
Kansan 16-Nov-18
doubledrop 16-Nov-18
gamechangerop 17-Nov-18
02-Nov-18
Guys I have decided to bring you all along on this years hunt again. My cell reception is spotty in most of my stands so it won't be a live hunt. I will mainly be hunting 2 farms again this year. The west farm and the south farm. The south farm gets most of my attention because it holds more deer. However, I have trail cam pics of a bruiser on the west farm. Also on the west farm the trashy 9 has made and appearance, I was really excited to see what he would be this year. I must say I am disappointed because he has really declined and age is not doing him well. He is skinny and appears he didn't develop his left main beam.

On the south farm I have 3 shooters. Only have pictures of 2 of them. 2 are really big 10 points that almost look identical. The only difference being one of them has no tail. The other is a narrow but tall 8. The tall 8 may get a pass if he shows up early.

I have hunted a couple times already and seen the big 10 that has a tail. I have also managed to kill one coyote from the treestand. I will be hitting it as hard as I can for the next week while maintaining my work schedule. I will be taking vacation from work the week of the 12th. Stay tuned.

02-Nov-18

gamechangerop's embedded Photo
trashy nine that is no longer a nine
trashy nine that is no longer a nine
Trashy 9 showing his age
Trashy 9 showing his age
West farm bucks

02-Nov-18

big 10
big 10
tall 8
tall 8
Tall 8
Tall 8
South farm bucks

02-Nov-18
Looking forward to tagging along on your hunt. Keep us posted. Those are some great bucks!

02-Nov-18
Good luck...

02-Nov-18
Good luck! We have a buck we've chased for years that has gone down hill the last two years, still a great trophy, but it's kinda sad to see the old king's decline.

02-Nov-18
Good luck Cord, I'll be following...looks like you have some great prospects!

02-Nov-18
Good luck, some very nice options. Getrdone

02-Nov-18
Pretty slow evening tonight. 2 does and 2 small bucks. At least the does didn't have fawns behind them. Does were extremely skittish when the small bucks came out of the timber.

03-Nov-18
Hopefully one of those guys shows up for you in the daylight. Thanks for bringing us along.

03-Nov-18

No hunting tonight. Managing/helping the deer another way.

03-Nov-18
What is it?

03-Nov-18
Dirt hole set to trap coyotes.

03-Nov-18
Ah ha, couldn't see it on my phone, get'm!

04-Nov-18

6:54 am. Nothing moving yet but a few turkeys. Feels like a good morning. Have a friend and took the neighbor boy hunting this morning so we have 3 of the 4 stands covered on the property.

04-Nov-18

718 am. Spencer just missed this buck. I was at full draw but he just isn't what I am looking for this early.

04-Nov-18

a trail cam pic of the buck that spencer missed this morning. I hope i am not kicking myself in a couple weeks for not shooting this buck.

04-Nov-18
That looks like a very nice buck couldn't have passed on him

04-Nov-18
he's sure got the mass doesn't he ? with all the other great bucks there, good call on passing

04-Nov-18

4:14 pm hunting south farm tonight. First visitor of the evening.

04-Nov-18

4:28 a couple turkeys have made an appearance.

04-Nov-18
Got out of the tree about an hour ago. Ended the evening seeing 3 doe/fawn pairs. Not quite happening in my neck of the woods yet.

05-Nov-18

One less fawn killer!

05-Nov-18
Excellent on the yote, despise them!

05-Nov-18
Good job!

06-Nov-18

9:45 am. Sitting in my work truck waiting for a customer. This little guy comes walking by.

06-Nov-18
Just got in the stand hunting the south farm tonight. Rain just stopped. Should be a busy evening.

06-Nov-18

506. One of my up and comer bucks hasn't had a good start to the rut.

07-Nov-18
Not hunting this morning. Checked traps before work and caught me another coyote. Makes 3 for the year for me so far.

08-Nov-18
Wasnt going to hunt tonight but just drove by the south farm. Big ten is bedded in northwest corner of property with a doe. Wind in my favor and the stalk is on!

08-Nov-18
Go get him.

08-Nov-18
Blood has been drawn

08-Nov-18
Nice! Hope all goes well, looking forward to pics!

08-Nov-18

08-Nov-18
Nice buck. Congratulations

08-Nov-18
That's a cool buck bud, bet it was an easy bloodtrail in that white stuff!

Congrats!

08-Nov-18
Well done! Is he one of those bucks from earlier trail camera pics?

08-Nov-18
Congrats!

08-Nov-18
Yes this is the Big 10 in one of the first pictures. Story to come tomorrow. Sito the blood was very easy to trail and he only made it about 80 yards.

08-Nov-18
Awesome! I had a feeling someone would stick something in this snow.

08-Nov-18
Congrats!

08-Nov-18
Great buck looking forward to the story

09-Nov-18
Nice buck. Patiently waiting for the story.

09-Nov-18

09-Nov-18
Light Blue - I originally see the Big 10 with his doe at the light blue "X".

Light Grey - My path to take to get down wind and circle in on them. My plan is to get within 50 yards and do a snort wheeze. Figuring he will want to keep other bucks away from his doe. Where the light blue ends is my last sighting of the doe and buck. They are working their way south.

Yellow - I change my direction and have to circle way down wind and around. Once I get in the timber I immediately know this is going to be even harder than I thought. Snow is sticking to everything and everything is white. The snow is very crunchy so walking isn't an option. I have to slightly pick up my feet and shuffle them forward. This is very slow going.

Purple Dot - "Here they come!" I thought to myself. Movement ahead of me in the Trees. At 20 yards a doe crosses the trail like she is being followed. I get set and get ready. Then ahead and through the brush to my left I see more movement. "This has to be him" at 10 yards about to come out from behind brush, all I can see is legs. I draw back.

Out steps the one thing I NEVER hesitate to shoot - COYOTE. Yet this time I didn't even think about it. Had him dead to rights but I had a bigger goal. The coyote moves off and I continue working slowly back north.

Dark blue - Where are these deer???? How could I have missed them. I was starting to get frustrated. I decide to head back up to where I saw them from the road. Maybe they circled and went back? Maybe the coyote scared them?

Dark Blue dot - Movement.... 20 yards and closing...its a buck...its a shooter...its not the BIG 10 though. A big buck 145-150" deer with 5 on his left and palmated 3 on his right was at 10 yards and coming down the same trail I was on. At ten feet I am getting a little nervous. How could he not see me right in front of him. At about seven feet I start to draw in case he wants to get aggressive being that close. He saw my movement and stopped. He was trying to figure out what I was but couldn't. He slowly turned and went back to the north. He was a very hard deer to pass but I knew the one I wanted was around somewhere. I give him about 5 minutes and then continue north.

Brown - Where are they??? I am beyond frustrated at this point and really contemplating on whether I just made a big mistake not shooting that buck. I decide to circle around and try to cut their tracks where I saw the deer earlier. The only downfall with this is I lose my wind advantage. I pick up there tracks pretty easily and follow them for about 50 yards nice and slow. Looking ahead I see movement and then a rack come out behind a cedar tree. I stop frozen in my tracks. Its HIM! ITs the BIG 10. at 35 yards. He is facing west towards the creek. I see the doe about 10 yards ahead of him bedded and looking south. I adjust my HHA to 35 yards and wait. He starts to move towards her and clears the cedar tree. I draw in one smooth motion and get to my anchor point. This is it. This is what I have worked towards all summer and fall. I go to put my pin in the sweet spot and what do I see???

Nothing...white...

My peep is full of snow...............I go into panic mode. As careful as I can I move my head over and blow out the snow, or enough of it anyways.....

How didn't he hear me? OR see me? Now he is looking right at me. I am calm and collected. Not shaking and remembering my shooting form. I release and the arrow hits the deer. It looks a little high, good penetration though. One he disappears I go to sight of impact and immediately see blood. I look the directions he went and it looks like the Kool-aide man went walking drunkenly through the forest. I call dad and wait. He is there within a half hour. The deer made it 80 yards. What a season!!! Now to help the neighbor kid gabe try to get his first archery deer. Thanks everyone for tagging along on my hunt and I will keep posting on Gabe's hunt. Hope everyone has a good of bow season as I had!!!

09-Nov-18
Very cool story! Thanks for sharing.

09-Nov-18
Thanks for the story and good luck on getting Gabe a deer.

09-Nov-18
This is why we hunt! Cool stuff, and yes good luck with the youngster...and thanks for passing it on!

09-Nov-18
Congratulations nice buck,its always sweeter if we stalk them and make it happen... Now go get that kid a deer Good luck

09-Nov-18
Good hunt!

Good results!

Excitingly Satisfying!

Good description, felt like I was there, almost.

09-Nov-18
End of red line is where the buck was when you shot and red “X” is where he piled up....or did I miss description of Red Color?

Thx for taking us along. My first hunt of the season starts tomorrow evening....can’t wait!

09-Nov-18
Yes Jason you are correct. Sorry I left that out.

10-Nov-18

Got in the stand at 245. Didnt have time to even post an update. 2 does with a buck following were headed straight at us. Got the whole thing on film and gabe made a great shot on this magnificent 7 point.

10-Nov-18
Excellent! Can’t beat that!

10-Nov-18
Right on Gabe, congrats!

13-Nov-18
congrats on both deer

15-Nov-18

The hunt for deer is over. Time to get to work on predators. Last few calling stands have been good!

15-Nov-18

16-Nov-18
Good looking shags, what sounds have you been having the most success with? I’ll start getting after them here pretty quick.

16-Nov-18
Congratulations on a great season! Love catching up on all of these. Great bucks!

17-Nov-18
Cottontail distress mainly. The coyote after the bobcat came in on pup distress. It was the first one I have ever called in after shooting.

• Sitka Gear