fishnride 14-Feb-19
Treeline 15-Feb-19
Jaquomo 15-Feb-19
Fauntleroy 15-Feb-19
yooper89 15-Feb-19
02-Nov-18

Fauntleroy's embedded Photo
I've been a little on the busy side, but it's been a good type of busy. I wanted to start a thread regarding my bowhunt here on the plains this year. I also wanted to show a little of the success we've been having this year. These first couple pictures are gonna be rifle and muzzleloader kills so bear with me, or if you'd rather skip the rifle hunts scroll to the first picture of a mule deer. First up was my muzzeloader antelope out east. I only had a day to get it done and this was the best one I could find.

Drove around all day as I've got 14,000 acres in that unit and got back to him at last light. He had about 15 does with him and they had me pegged at 92 yards. The sun was setting fast and the buck was bedded behind them. I thought it wasn't gonna happen until he stood up to see what the commotion was. That got the does to scatter and in the chaos he jumbled in with them, and I almost stood up cause I knew for sure that they were gonna take off already thinking of how I could come back with work. Then the does took off and he just stood there to make sure that I wasn't gonna chase them down. Alright, I'll take that... BOOM! Not my biggest, but certainly not my smallest and I'm on the board.

02-Nov-18

Next up was Truckie and his wife on their muzzleloader hunts. He was able to get a tag east of Fort Collins using the app and was really struggling with the lack of geographical features so he went and got himself a decoy. First morning out and when this buck swung in to see what the new comer was doing in his turf and Truckie let him have it.

02-Nov-18

We thought that since the decoy worked so great for him, we figured his wife's (who happens to also be just a little on the pregnant side) hunt for a doe would be cakewalk. Not so much. While the herd buck charged into 5 yards to check us out, the does wanted nothing to do with the decoy. While we almost had it done at 60 yards, she just didn't have enough time to get everything lined up. Better luck next year.

02-Nov-18

I've had a bunch of subscribers reach out to me to let me know that they got tags using the app and it's made all the hard work totally worth it. One of the subscribers that reached out to me early on was Austin from California and had never been antelope hunting before getting a tag that took 4 points using the app. In conversations I figured I had an evening before the rifle hunt, and opening day that I could help him out on and he was gracious enough to accept me inviting myself as I've always wanted to poke my nose around that unit.

He ended up getting in the unit the Tuesday before the hunt started and scouted his butt off. Throughout the week he'd send me photos of bucks he thought were interesting and his excitement was palpable. I got there Friday afternoon and drove around a little with him looking a various goats before deciding I wanted to see what he thought was the biggest goat he could find. He kept telling me he wasn't sure if it was big enough cause he knew the buck was a little on the short side. Can you imagine my excitement when he showed me this freak?

Anyways, opening morning found us watching another hunter driving OUT of the field this tank was living in right at legal shooting light. With all the other hunters driving around we had kind of figured that we were looking for a dead animal. At around 9 the buck showed up after what we assumed was a raucous night of chasing ladies. He strutted his stuff out to the does in his field and Austin was able to seal the deal with one well placed shot. The buck ended up green grossing 81"+.

If that wasn't good enough, he ended up picking up one of the 1st rifle 61 bull tags that hit the list using the app the next week, and while I couldn't be there he took a good bull on short notice. Lucky dog!

02-Nov-18

The next day I was able to get out with my buddy Lionel that I joined the Marine Corps with. While I had a cake walk enlistment that involved tours around the Phillippines, South Korea, Thailand, Guam, Japan, and Australia (basically anywhere beautiful and tropical). He got deployed to Falujah in '07 with EOD manning a ma' duece on top of a Humvee. To say that he's struggled with severe PTSD is an understatement and I'm happy to report that he's slowly but surely getting back to be the man he deserves to be.

While I dearly love him, we haven't gotten to hunt with one another in a looong time if for nothing else I'm a bowhunter and he's a rifle hunter (along with the fact that life just kinda gets in the way, which is a horribly poor excuse). However he was able to pick up a tag using the app here in our home unit and we took the Sunday of opening weekend and found this buck all alone. After a stalk that we kinda figured would end up working he put a well placed shot on his personal best buck and we still had time to go watch the Rockies lose.

02-Nov-18

Last rifle hunt I swear... My other buddy Jeremy has been hunting Kansas for a few years looking to put his hands on a good whitetail buck. I told him to throw a unit that my wife and I have killed some good ones here in Colorado onto his app and sure enough he picked one up and we were whitetail hunters this past Monday night.

At about 4 we spotted a herd of 7 does step out of some corn and I legitimately wanted to move on from them cause we had Tuesday and Wednesday scheduled. My line of thought was that our first night would be just checking fields we had permission on, looking at where the corn was still up, and plan accordingly for Tuesday. However we had our one legged buddy Clint with us and he very unceremoniously kicked us out to see if anything stepped out of the corn that night with the does.

Glad he did too, this buck walked out right in the last minutes of shooting light and Jeremy was able to get the job done. Only problem now is deciding how he wants him mounted, pedestal, on the wall, or euro?

02-Nov-18

So my bow hunt....

It really started the night that Lionel killed his antelope. When we got back to his place there was a killer buck on his property that really got me fired up. Up to that point I hadn't done a whole of thinking about my tag since I got it using the app. Sure I'd shot my bow, but the thought of hunting seemed so remote that I hadn't even contacted any of my landowners till that point. Hell, I didn't even have my bow in the truck and had to run home to get it just to even have the opportunity at him.

This unit can produce some absolute giant deer and I knew that the only way to kill one, was to not kill a really good deer. So I called my buddy Clint, my personal muley guru mentor, and had him meet me at the property. After a long discussion, we just couldn't put the buck over 180" and with it being opening weekend I just couldn't bring myself to punching my tag given that I basically have till December 31 with a few splits thrown in there for the rifle hunters. Really cool buck though. And before you get on me about how he's definitely over 180, I promise this picture makes him look much bigger than what he really is.

02-Nov-18

After that I got a little more focused. I knew that if I wanted to pass on bucks like that for giants, I better start getting back in contact with some of my landowners. So I spent a day driving around, feeding cows, replacing breakers in electrical panels and generally re-establishing contact with everyone. They're always pretty generous and some even offered to call me if they saw a big one since they know I live close enough. One even made that phone call one morning to tell me about the biggest buck she's ever seen. I sped the 30 minutes out there to find a giant bodied, old, gnarly forked horn buck and politely passed on taking him much to her chagrin. I showed her a picture of the last buck and I think she has a better understanding now of what I'm looking for. She's got her eyes peeled.

I spent a Sunday the other week on one of my all time favorite pieces of property in Colorado. If you know where this picture was taken than you know that elk, antelope, whitetail, and mule deer can all be found on this 700 acres and some of them get rather large. There were only does on the property that day, but I know it's only a matter of time before some old monster is gonna crawl out of a hole out there on the prairie and start chasing those girls around eventually. However, this day also played a huge role in the days to come...

02-Nov-18

The very next day I got off work and got to the gym as I've been slacking off with hunting season under way. It was still middle of October and I still hadn't really seen anything huge. Most of the bucks were still in bachelor herds and none of the big boys had really popped up yet. On the way home from the gym I passed a field that I've been watching 4 bucks in all summer. Super visible and it's always the same 4 bucks. Until that night...

For some reason there was a 5th buck with them and that got my attention just enough to pull over and throw the glass on them. WHOA!!!! No brainer, any hunt in Colorado, closest thing to sniffing 200" I've seen in a long time type of buck. The landowner used to let my wife hunt out there and this wasn't the first time I'd seen a giant in his field. Back story...

The first time I saw a giant there my wife had the archery tag a few years ago. We pulled in and she got permission cause she's cute. The buck was in a non-approachable spot that night so we just sat there on the side of the road and admired him. Another guy pulled up and we started chit chatting and like a bonehead I let out that the landowner had given us permission. Well, we pulled in the next night and the landowner told us that the same guy I had spilled the beans to had gotten permission directly after speaking with us and had arrowed the big buck that morning. To say that she was a little on the perturbed side with me is an understatement.

Anyways, back to the night in question. I pulled in and got permission again. He told me that he had a guy rifle hunting the first rifle season, but that I was more than welcome to go after the buck before then. He even asked if he could watch me do the deed. I told him, "Sir, you can be the first one to put your hands on him if you'd like". So off we went and it looked like a slam dunk. While he wasn't alone there was a ditch just perfect for the wind that would put me less than 30 yards from them that I could casually stroll down. I parked the truck with the old man in the passenger seat. Grabbed my bow out of the case. Got my rangefinder hooked to my belt loop. Snagged my quiver and got that snapped into place. Then, horror struck. Guess what I had forgotten to take out of my hunting pants from the day before taking beautiful sunrise pictures? This property is CURSED!!!

02-Nov-18

While I wasn't able to get a photo of him here's a buck that looks eerily similar to him that a buddy got a photo of a few miles away. Definitely not the same buck, but a solid representation of what I had pulled a rookie mistake on.

02-Nov-18

Heartbroken. Kicking myself. Hating myself. How often do you get the chance at a buck like that with myself. Same spot next morning and I found his 4 buddies without him headed into the creek across the county road. That evening I sat where I had seen them the night before with no luck. Came back the next day with no sightings and started to get paranoid with the rifle season opening that weekend. Got permission in the creek where his buddies had spent all summer bedding in.

Spent a morning sitting in wait only to have the 4 amigos saunter by without him. Took a photo of them at 20 yards.

02-Nov-18

And that ended the first split of the archery season. I went back to Kansas to see my wife who's enrolled into her Doctorate program for Veterinary Medicine at KSU the very next day after taking that photo of his buddies. Had a great time with my wife as we only get to see eachother once every 3-4 weeks. I spent the whole time agonizing over whether the big boy got taken by a rifle hunter. Called my Dad to have him swing by the property and he couldn't spot him. Had Clint swing by. Kicking myself for not putting my release back where it belongs after that Sunday hunt. Still kicking myself. I've swung by the property a few times without any sightings since being home... Until this morning. Really wish I had the spotting scope with me so I could have gotten photos, but I got to spend 30 minutes of watching that glorious Jolly Green Giant do his thing right where I need him to be. He wasn't on the property where the rifle hunter is, but his neck is SWOLLEN. While he's running with the 4 amigos I'm really scared of two things;

1) He still needs to make it through this weekend. I'm not sure if the rifle hunter has tagged out or not, and I guess it doesn't really matter other than I hope he stays safe until next Wednesday when my season opens back up again.

2) His neck is swollen and we all know what that means. We've had just enough snow and it's been just cold enough that I'm afraid he's gonna start wandering for does. The weather forecast this weekend is just more snow. I've been begging for the white stuff for the last few weeks to get everything moving, but now I'm begging for him to stay put just a few days longer.

That brings you up to speed on the season. It's been great so far with some incredible animals and the best is yet to come, I hope. I'll try to post more photos and updates as the season progresses, but like I said I've got till December 31 to get it done. The old man got the rifle tag for the December 1-15 hunt and already told me that if I don't get it done before then he's gonna have to see the job through. Either way I just wanna put my hands on him. Thanks for following along!

03-Nov-18
Hope you get him after the gun season!

04-Nov-18
Great thread! Thanks for the effort to post it.

06-Nov-18

I've been out every day, morning and evening, since last Friday. No sightings. The county road follows the creek and I've glassed a couple miles in both directions with no luck. CPW officer says that he's seen him 7 times in the last 3 years and all the sightings were where I have permission. I'm starting to think that he does one of two things;

1) He does a loop that's almost scheduled and I have no idea where the loop takes him. This year the sightings have been relatively evenly spread apart in 5-8 day increments with 3 reported sightings. He wasn't there this morning which makes me happy that he's not visible on the last day of rifle season. My archery season opens back up tomorrow and you can bet your bottom dollar where I'll be at first light.

2) I almost think he doesn't go anywhere. The piece that I always see him on has about 6 acres of cattails in the creek bottom. Last Friday morning I watched as he buried himself in there and disappeared. He always shows up with the same 4 bucks and you can almost count on seeing them in the adjacent hay field at least every other day if not every day. Maybe he gets shy? The only contradiction to this theory is that when I do see him it's in the full daylight hours. Sometimes as late as 8:45 and as early as 4:30. Shy bucks don't tend to show themselves anywhere outside of 5 minutes on either side of daylight.

Either way the season opens tomorrow and the boss lady knows that I'll be coming in a little late and leaving a little early every day from tomorrow on out. My only scheduling conflict is that the wife has the week of Thanksgiving off and can't come home because of surgery rotations. Which means that at the very latest I have to be on the road to Kansas the Monday before Thanksgiving. I hope he doesn't make me wait that long.

06-Nov-18
Forgot to mention, the bucks are still in bachelor herds. Most of them have giant rutted out necks so it's only a matter of days before everything starts to pop off. The closest doe groups are 1/2-1/4 mile in both directions on the creek. I don't think I can get permission on the north side of the creek and I know a friend of the landowner on the south if it comes down to it. In years past I have seen the does filter into the piece where I have permission with a buck or two in tow. At this point I think it's just a matter of days before a doe goes into estrus and busts everything up.

Outside of this buck, the reason I got the tag was because one of my landowners has been watching a solid 180+ type buck on his land for the last three years. He only shows up for a few days in late November, but it's almost like clockwork with that buck. If he shows up before the Jolly Green Giant makes an appearance I'm going to be hard pressed not to make an attempt at a 180+.

06-Nov-18

I love my subscribers. Sitting there after turning in my ballot doing a mid day lunch glass today and a guy pulled up to talk. He saw the sticker in my rear window and asked if I was the fellow that ran the Leftover Watch. He made it clear his appreciation of the app and asked if I was looking for the "Mega Deer" in the lot I was glassing. I confirmed that I was indeed looking for the Jolly Green Giant and he proceeded to tell me that he heads into the houses adjacent to the property during the summer and showed me a bunch of photos of the buck in the creek that I have permission on. Apparently he's been living in those damn cattails and pops out every now and then.

It is on in the morning!

08-Nov-18
Get him! Great buck for sure! Love those big mule deer and he’s Awesome!

12-Nov-18

Hard to get an angle that shows everything going on with this buck.
Hard to get an angle that shows everything going on with this buck.
Thanks Treeline & Jaquomo. Lost him for about 5 days and finally turned him up a mile away... right where I can't hunt. Working on permission now in the surrounding area and hoping he comes back to my creek bottom. He's running does and is completely random at this point. Thank god for good buddies that keep your mind on track right? Here's some photos we took last night in the snow. Look at that neck!

12-Nov-18
Great pictures! Beautiful buck! Hope you get a crack at him, Justin! Good luck!

12-Nov-18
Good luck, keep us posted.

13-Nov-18
Hes lacking nothing.

13-Nov-18
Good luck and thanks for sharing. He’s a stud...

13-Nov-18
Well, he's pretty consistent now. He's living in some 5-10 acre lots that are surrounded by 30-200 acre stuff that I have sporadic permission. I haven't done this hunt in years just for this reason as the landowners are kind of hit or miss about letting you hunt. That's even after offering just about any amount of free electrical work in trade. But the tag popped on my app and with how busy I am this year it's nice to hunt here around the house for a couple hours a day. He was 200 yards from one of my properties last night and this morning so I'm hoping that he makes the jump shortly.

I am headed out to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commissioners meeting on Friday morning in Burlington and will probably head back to see the wife thereafter. She has next week off but can't come back home due to surgery rounds so I'm gonna take the week of Thanksgiving and work from Kansas... And take the dogs bird hunting... And if one of my spies happens to call me I'm not above driving 6.5 hours to come back and put a stalk on this buck. As much as I'd like to get this done before I go I don't see him leaving those does, but I will be here for the last 5 days of November before the season splits again for the rifle hunters. And I still have a few days this week.

On a separate note I was contacted by a fairly well known outfitter that guides for Governor's tag holders yearly about a finders fee that I respectfully declined. It's not very often that I find deer like this even out here and feel like it's only a matter of time before something happens. While the money would definitely help with the wifes out of state tuition, putting my hands on this buck would be that much sweeter. I'll pay that tuition off one way or the other, but I'm not sure how many opportunities like this I'll ever find. Plus, while he's definitely big, I don't think he's as big as the photos let on. Not that the score matters anyways as I'll be beyond thrilled if I'm able to use my tag on him.

13-Nov-18
Like Jaquomo said on the other thread, a lot of us just lurk. Been watching this thread since the beginning. Good luck, I hope you tag the big boy!

13-Nov-18
That’s such a great deer, I’m getting the nervous jitters worrying you won’t get back in time. Can’t imagine what you’re going through!

13-Nov-18
Good luck! Sounds exciting

13-Nov-18
Adding traction, good luck!

14-Nov-18
Hoot- It's traffic, not traction... Get it right!

Almost had it done last night. Found him following 5 does with another smaller buck. Scrambled like a mad man to get permission where I felt like they were going and the old man told me, "Hell yeah! Shoot that big ol' sumb*&^$." Alrighty then, game on.

Sure enough 4 of the does crossed the county road about 10 minutes before legal shooting light ended with the smaller buck in tow. I was perfect behind a tree at 42 yards when they moved across the old man's pasture thinking, "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God... THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN!!!" Wouldn't you know it, the hot doe procrastinated until a car stopped to look at them and scared her back with Jolly in tow.

F@$^$@$%&%@^#&!!!!

Found him this morning about a mile in the wrong direction. He's moving so much right now that I have no doubt he'll make a mistake. The wife might end up waiting without me this weekend... Anybody in Manhattan, Ks willing to take her out on the town? She's cute, she's smart, and she probably shoots a bow better than any of us...

14-Nov-18
AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! The lady I started working on for permission last Saturday just called and told me I'm good to go. Guess where he was last night!!!!

14-Nov-18

Well, right at last light and I don't think I'm gonna sleep tonight.

14-Nov-18
Taking lessons from Pat? :-D Was it Jolly Green Giant? Looking forward to the rest of the story!

14-Nov-18
Hoo boy! Good luck in the morning!

14-Nov-18
Woohoo! Good luck tracking him down in the morning.

14-Nov-18
Hmmm...

14-Nov-18
Good luck finding him! You will get about 1/2 hour of sleep. What a hog. I'm pulling for ya

14-Nov-18
If it was a good hit why leave him overnight? Lots of coyotes out east! With lows around 40 it might be an issue.

14-Nov-18
39 yards, quartering away (20 degree quarter), 2nd to last rib, angled towards off shoulder, ulmer edge, I could see the last little bit of fletching so no pass thru. Last I saw he was stumbling 140 yards after the hit where we don't have permission still in his feet in the 5-10 acre lots. CPW officer is gonna help in the morning.

14-Nov-18
Wow! Hoping it all comes together for you tomorrow.

14-Nov-18
Good luck!!

14-Nov-18
Good luck in the morning!

14-Nov-18
Good luck! Not sure where Justin is but I'm on the plains now and it's 32 degrees and dropping, so if the yotes hold off, the meat will be fine.

15-Nov-18
Good luck! I drove by your truck (window sticker gave it away) the other day and assumed you were looking for or hunting this guy. I am down that way for work once a week or so.

15-Nov-18
Good luck! I'm patiently awaiting pictures. Good luck to you too, Jaq!

15-Nov-18
Looks like good blood.... good luck with the accessing the property. That has always been my biggest source of frustration hunting the fields. the first buck I shot with a bow, a 29" 4x4 died on private and the owner refused my access. Fish and game picked it up so I was able to hold it, but not keep the antlers.

I hope it works out for you.

15-Nov-18

Got permission to track through the neighboring properties and found where a dog had chased him across the county road back to where I was originally hunting. Not the worst thing in the world although it's a mile away.

Abondoned the blood thinking he'd go back to where he feels safe. Sure enough there's blood crisscrossing through the creek. I can follow it into that damn 5 acres of cattails and lose it due to how deep the creek is along with how thick things are.

Circled those cattails for about 3 hours and can NOT find anything coming out of them. I have 2 feelings;

1) He's dead in those cattails and I'm just gonna have to be the man and do this the hard way.

2) The blood trail did start to thin as he got to the creek. I'm worried that it's a non fatal single lung hit and he got back on his feet. The birds aren't indicating that something is in those cattails, but who knows what that means.

Didn't sleep at all last night. Back at the house now for a power nap and to grab muck Boots.

15-Nov-18
Good luck! I'm following this closely.

"Not the worst thing in the world although it's a mile away" Am I understanding he has went over a mile? or am I reading that wrong?

15-Nov-18
Dont know how far into the track that fence was, but to jump and clear it, he doesnt seem super weak.... If he is dead, he’s in them cattails. If he’s not dead, he’s in them cattails, so hopefully u get another crack at him if he aint already stiff.

15-Nov-18
I'd think the smart money is on him being dead in the cattails. Good luck- I hope you find him in there! It'd be nice if you could get several of you in there to get in a line very close together and grid search it together. Cattails can be tough- very easy to walk three yards from a dead deer and miss it! The more people you can get to help, the better.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know... Good luck, we're cheering for you!!!

15-Nov-18
I’ve got a tracking dog. He is a little out of practice but he’s been able to find a couple tough ones in the past. Shoot me a PM.

15-Nov-18
I’d want to stay on blood and have an arrow ready. One guy tracking and one guy looking ahead. If that fails, bring in the army of friends.

15-Nov-18
If I lived closer I'd love to help you out. Good luck. Hell of a deer

15-Nov-18
Cattails aren’t a bad thing as long as he’s bleeding. Way better than trying to track on open Sandhills / sage.

Good luck hopefully positive results!

15-Nov-18

15-Nov-18
Good luck man! I was in this same spot last Thursday Friday Saturday! But I had no cattail slough to give me hope!! Really hope he just plopped down and died there for you.

15-Nov-18
any luck finding the arrow?

15-Nov-18
Ambush has the right approach. Follow up the guy tracking with an arrow nocked and ready. He’s gotta be in those cattails.

15-Nov-18
Man not what I was hoping for you. I hope you find him in those cattails. Also make sure to have your bow with you in case you get another shot

15-Nov-18
Dang doesn’t sound good! Hopefully he died and you can find him!

15-Nov-18

He bedded facing to the right as the photo is oriented.
He bedded facing to the right as the photo is oriented.
Well we found his last bed and it isn't good. Just not enough blood to make me confident it's even a remotely fatal hit. I feel absolutely sick. This is the second time I've posted a semi live (including my Tendoy sheep hunt) with the same results. As far as I'm concerned this is a filled tag and I've got till December 31 to try and find my animal.

Found another fellow who's watched him for 3 years now and pointed me in the direction he thinks he saw him go today after the fiasco was all said and done. He wasn't able to put glass on him, but seems pretty confident he saw the buck this morning cruise past at 300 yards. Not getting permission there.

I'll be at the Commissioner meeting out in Burlington tomorrow and still need to pack tonight cause I'll leave for Kansas straight from there. I have a bunch of spies out there looking including a few from here. THANK YOU! The Parks and Wildlife officer and everyone else knows that if he's seen, I will make the drive home at the drop of a hat. I'll be back for the last 5 days of November and will hit it hard again. Until than, I'm gonna go stew and think about what I could have done differently. Thanks for following along and I promise this isn't the last post.

16-Nov-18
Best of luck ..

16-Nov-18
That stinks! Hopefully someone sees him again and you get a second chance.

16-Nov-18
That stinks! Hopefully someone sees him again and you get a second chance.

17-Nov-18
Good luck man!

29-Nov-18

I got my second chance. Have to work late tonight, but I'll come back tomorrow.

29-Nov-18
Great lookin buck! Congrats!

29-Nov-18
Wow great buck!!!!

29-Nov-18
Great buck!

29-Nov-18
Wow! Congrats, can't wait to hear the details!

29-Nov-18
How cool! Congratulations!

30-Nov-18
HOLEY MOLEY! Can’t wait to hear this one! Congratulations, you got him! Way to follow up!

30-Nov-18
Oh geez! Nice! Gives me the mule deer itch.

30-Nov-18

Got home from visiting the wife in Kansas for Thanksgiving and immediately started the search again. I had heard a few rumors and checked up on them morning and evening. Checked the last blood a couple times as well as where I had initially arrowed him.

Wednesday afternoon I was making a service call to replace a light switch and as I was about to step out of the truck to meet the homeowner I got a picture text from a buddy that knows what the situation is. I opened the text and was absolutely floored to see this photo.

If you look closely you can see where the original shot entered high... More on that later. Being as polite as I possibly could I informed the lady that I would have to make things quick as something just came up. As soon as I was done I called my buddy and he told me the photo was taken right before he sent it to me 1/4 mile from where I had initially arrowed him.

Drove as fast as legally possible and got eyes on him ASAP. Thank God for OnX as he was somewhere that I didn't have permission trying his best to chase does. He was in bad shape. Hard front limp, labored breathing, emciated, and when the does jumped the fence in the photo he could not follow and watched an obviously hot Doe walk away with a forky. It took me until after legal shooting light to get permission, but it was clear he wasn't going anywhere and I would be back in the morning.

The only hardship about the next morning was that I only got to sleep about 3 hours Wednesday night. It would be a gross exaggeration to say that it was anything more than a mercy kill as I was able to walk to 20 yards and put him down yesterday morning ending the nightmares.

I took field photos, got him cleaned up and started to decompress. The CPW officer that's been working with me came and took a look at him. Dad took a long lunch to fondle him. After work I was able head over to Clint's house, we caped his head and put a tape to him. I don't want to say what we came up with cause it's so much higher than we had guessed on the hoof, but he's big enough that I'm considering having him scored by an official just to see what it really comes out as.

I'm not gonna lie... I'm really struggling to enjoy this one after that first shot. The 14 days between sightings were excruciating. There was not one single night that I was able to get a full night's sleep from replaying that shot over and over and over in my head. A large part of me was hoping I'd never see him again and that he had died awhile ago. I think it's gonna take awhile to wrap my head around this to fully enjoy him. I can't even begin to express how relieved I feel to have finished him, that he's sitting next to me and the meat was 100% salvageable.

Post mortem showed the first shot clipped both lungs high and a little back. The original wound was nearly completely healed other than the puss on the inside of the rib cage. Both lungs showed the same puss forming. The bottom of the chest cavity was also holding about 4 cups of BLACK coagulated blood. The wildlife officer and I are both on the fence about whether he would have survived. I'm glad that we don't have to worry about it anymore.

And that's that. I think we're gonna mount him on a pedestal where we can slide him on a rod to spin him around. There's so much going on with him that I want to be able to show everything. We also have enough live photos to choke a horse and will probably put a collage together on the back of the mount to showcase just how amazing this animal was.

Thanks for following along on this roller coaster. Glad I was able to give a happy ending to this story. I'll come back and post whether I get him officially scored as well as what the finished mount looks like. Hope you all have an enjoyable and safe rest of the season. Now I can bird hunt in peace.

30-Nov-18
C'mon man, give us the details! :D

30-Nov-18
C'mon fauntleroy, you didn't even post the grip and grin pic!!

Congrats on a stud buck!!

30-Nov-18
Great that you were able to get closure on this great buck. And please do let us know what he scored, whether you officially do it or not. And you should get him scored by a P&Y scorer and enter him in the records program. What a fantastic deer!

30-Nov-18

30-Nov-18

30-Nov-18

I don't take grip and grin photos as I try to make it about the animal as much as possible. But for the sake of putting a size reference to him here's one that Clint took late last night while we were taking it all in together.

30-Nov-18
Amazing buck and great job sticking to it and following up to the end. I echo Lou regarding the score and entering him in the records. This buck and the pursuit of him is certainly worthy. Congratulations!

01-Dec-18
Outstanding buck, and congrats on getting the job finished.

01-Dec-18
Not sure how well the pic shows it, but the mass looks incredible. What a hunt, congratulations!

01-Dec-18
Wow, what an epic hunt, glad it had a good ending! Amazing buck!

01-Dec-18
What a buck and although it didn’t play out like you had hoped, sometimes crap happens. The best part of the story is how you continued to search and hold out hope. Congratulations!

01-Dec-18
An amazing, amazing buck and what a will to survive and pass on their genes they have! Congratulations on a true trophy proportion animal.

Do you think he was in the cattatil patch the whole time you searched it?

01-Dec-18
"I can't even begin to express how relieved I feel to have finished him, that he's sitting next to me and the meat was 100% salvageable."

I think this is the best possible ending you could have asked for considering the direction things went a couple weeks ago!

01-Dec-18
Incredible buck and your perseverance paid off. Maybe not exactly how you wanted but much, much better that it might have ended for sure. Buck of several lifetimes!

01-Dec-18
Definitely a much better ending to what it could have been. Sounds like you definitely did everything in your power to come to a successful conclusion. Congrats to you for that, and on an incredible buck as well!

What are the laws in Colorado as far as being able to track wounded game onto property in which you do not have permission? I’m assuming that if you are unable gain permission, that you are SOL.?

01-Dec-18
be proud, helluva story - hunting isn't always perfect

01-Dec-18
I can’t wait 60 days!?! But if you say how many inches you came up with, that should ease the pain!

01-Dec-18
Inshart- When people put their hands on him that's the very first thing everyone comments on is his mass. It really is unbelievable and I think it's why we were guessing low.

Ambush- Not sure if he was in those cattails. He very well could have been that first day of tracking the blood, but he ended up nearly exactly where I had originally arrowed him so it's hard to say. In fact on Wednesday night he was trying to chase the same doe group.

T-roy- It's illegal to search property that you don't have permission on. Thankfully the CPW officer here is one of the best guys to have in your corner and I had him on speed dial ready to call when I walked up to knock on doors, and if push came to shove he would have made things happen one way or the other. Thankfully the landowners understood the situation and allowed me to finish my job.

As far as getting him measured I think I'm gonna reach out to Sandbrew at the January RMBS meeting when I bring them another check. I've always just thrown a stout string on them and figured that was close enough for my satisfaction, but not with this one. What I will say is that his main frame is ridiculous, he's 32.5" at the kickers, and that our guesses of 203-206 on the hoof we're embarrassingly low. But again, I'm nowhere near official so those guesses could be spot on and I just don't know how to measure properly. So in order to not embarrass myself completely I'll wait to post anything so you all can't laugh at me later on.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The last two nights of solid sleep have probably felt almost as good as actually putting my hands on him... Almost. In other news the lady who's land I initially arrowed him on is a realtor and she's getting $5k worth of electrical labor in trade for permission. Every second spent in her houses will be time well spent!

01-Dec-18
That's an outstanding ending, Justin! Beautiful buck! Your storytelling is ahead of the game too. Well done, man!

01-Dec-18
The mass and forks are just super!! Good thing your wife is in Kansas so there's room for it in the bed. She may not like sleeping on the floor.

01-Dec-18

01-Dec-18
Any pics of you with the buck?

01-Dec-18
Congrats on a super buck

01-Dec-18
Great job sticking with him until you could finally kill him. Great buck. Congrats! I know how hard it can be gaining permission in that area.

Love the recliner pic that has to be bowsite first? No field pics of you and the deer or were you by yourself without your phone?

02-Dec-18
I'm not really into posing with the animal in the field. I did have a guy there with me helping, but always felt like anything with me in it would have detracted from what he really is. Feel kinda weird posting the recliner photo, but it does give an idea of scale. I'll see if I can take a more tasteful one sometime tomorrow.

We're doing the rifle hunts for my Dad and Lionel now. Lionel's hunting that first big Muley that I posted with his handgun and had him 250 yards today. Needs to be under 50 for it to happen, but it's a long season and he's committed. Dad on the other hand is gonna shoot the first legal buck that makes a mistake.

02-Dec-18
Incredible story of following through to the very end on a more than incredible buck. Congrats!

02-Dec-18
Great buck. Glad you got some closure

02-Dec-18
Great buck. Thanks for posting!

03-Dec-18
Awesome! Was following while way. Congrats!

03-Dec-18

Here's one of my buddy. For reference he's 6'2" 235.

04-Dec-18
That's a good photo. Shows how big the rack really is cause he's not straight arming it at all. Congrats again!

05-Dec-18
Great deer, congrats! I am curious, not that score matters, but what does 203-206” was embarrassingly low mean? He’s certainly not a 230” deer? I wouldn’t be too embarrassed about guessing a little bit low!

06-Dec-18

Hoot- I am a score guy, if for the only reason that so much of our communication as a hunting community is digital nowadays. We're fortunate enough to live in an age where we can interact with strangers from all over the country and share our success via text or online. Since it would be impossible for me to put my hands on everyone's animals the way that I'd like to, a score gives us a baseline to understand just how big an animal is. It's really hard to truly appreciate the mass of a mid 70" pronghorn through a picture, or the length of a 150" whitetail, or the overall magnitude of a 320" bull elk without putting your hands on them. For me, the score is a way for us to communicate that "feeling" we can't get on this medium.

I guess I say it's "embarrassing" because there were 4 of us that saw him on the hoof and took guesses at him. We all consider ourselves "muley guys" and I'm the only one in the group that doesn't have a 200"+ on the wall yet. If you read the comment that I made the first time I saw him I thought he was "sniffing 200". Prior to this buck we all would have told you we could guess to within a couple inches given how much time we had with him and the photos we took. He's certainly not 230", but that guess of "sniffing 200" was not just a couple inches off. Humbling to say the least.

In other news I met a guy that had been watching him for a few years that had quite a few photos of the buck. I thought it was incredibly generous of him to share these with me and I think this is what I'll put on the back of the pedestal mount along with a few photos that we took of him on the hoof. They don't make them like this very often and I'm very fortunate to have been apart of his life.

06-Dec-18
I’m a score guy too for the same reason, I meant score doesn’t matter in that if he was 196” or 203” or 209” (my guess gross) he would still be a no question shooter buck to be proud of...

Can’t wait to see how he looks mounted and what his score sheet looks like, thanks for sharing!

07-Dec-18
Great deer congratulations.But maybe more important is a man with bills turned down a finders fee.Speaks loudly of you as a person and a hunter.You lost no meat, he is on your wall, sounds like a win win to me....well done

14-Feb-19

We were surprised at how close we're were with final measurements. Even more surprised it was just a hair bigger. Thanks Sandbrew for taking the time today. His place is pretty freaking cool.

14-Feb-19
220+, Dang! Is the mount gonna make the CBA banquet?

15-Feb-19
Spectacular buck! Congratulations again!

15-Feb-19
Outstanding! Welcome to the 200 club!

15-Feb-19
Thanks fellas. Glad it all worked out in the end.

15-Feb-19
Congrats my man. Hell of a deer. Hell of a story.

• Sitka Gear