Jeff in MN 06-Nov-18
skookumjt 06-Nov-18
Pronegrot 07-Nov-20
oldhunter 07-Nov-20
MjF 07-Nov-20
jkirkus 11-Nov-20
skookumjt 11-Nov-20
05-Nov-18
Legendary Whitetails is running a promotion called "Hunt on Us". If you submit a photo of your big game hunting license, you get a small gift card for LegendaryWhitetails.com. Sounds like a pretty cool deal for hunters. I submitted a screenshot of my license, but blacked out the state Customer ID. My request for the promotion was denied stating they needed the ID number for verification purposes (despite having my name, address, etc).

Perhaps I've had my credit card numbers hacked one too many times and I'm just a bit sour on giving up my DNR Customer ID info to a retailer. No, big deal, I'll lose out on the promotion, but, I just can't see a reason why a retailer would need that type of info, and it rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm curious what experiences others have had with this local (WI based) company?

05-Nov-18
I wouldn't do it...

05-Nov-18
Update - the response from Legendary Whitetails:

"We understand & appreciate your concern for sharing your personal information. The reason your customer ID is necessary is because this allows us to avoid duplicate submissions from multiple people using different names/emails to be entered into the promotion. We want to ensure everyone gets a fair chance to receive a gift card and further spread our awareness on the importance of conservation in the US."

I think the Name/Address combo that is listed on the state issued license you submit as proof should be sufficient to avoid duplicate awards. This just doesn't seem well thought out.

05-Nov-18
I participated in this. Took 3 submissions before they were happy as I also blacked out different bits of info with each submission. Once accepted, they did send the $25 voucher right away. I ended up getting one of their headlamps and a hunting public t-shirt. As anticipated, I’ve been getting daily promotional emails from then since submitting.

05-Nov-18
So you want something from them. But you are unwilling to give what they need to get it?

For what it's worth, it is legit and they are a great company.

05-Nov-18
Worked for me, I bought a jacket. Still had to pay $50 but I was going to buy it anyway.

05-Nov-18
Seems kind of iffy to me. Not that I don't trust the company, I don't trust hackers. The DNR has that info linked to our entire life. Customer ID, Name, Address, SS number, somehow they got my Drivers license number, everything you ever applied for or harvested, tags you draw so someone could easily figure out when you are gone. Everything they would need to steal your identity or have ecoterrorists send death threats. Credit card number also even though it sends you to a different site. It may not matter but just one more way to get hacked. I looked at it when it was posted earlier & decided not to. Haven't heard of any problems though.

06-Nov-18
RutnStrut, I have no problem giving my name, email, and address to them in return for the coupon/gift card, and would fully expect to be inundated with promotional material. Ain’t nothing for free in this world.

Just questioning the methods of why they need that ID number. They can prevent duplicate awards through name/address. There is so much info tied to that ID which can be vulnerable to hackers. Just seems like an unnecessary risk.

06-Nov-18
I wouldn't send ID numbers of any kind to anyone I don't know and trust. Maybe not even then depending what they are asking for. Don't do it.

06-Nov-18
Nope. Not getting my DNR ID number unless you are a warden. It's tied to too much other information.

06-Nov-18
You guys assume that the DNR doesn't sell your info. How do you think all those outdoor magazine offers get sent to you. I am very paranoid about ID theft. We have been nailed 3 times in the last 5 years and are still working through some of it. But I'm not so paranoid to not trust a well established company.

06-Nov-18
Hopefully the DNR does not share your DNR number with the information about you that they are selling .

06-Nov-18
They don't share your information unless you agree to it.

07-Nov-20
I really like this company as I have read about them and their story is really inspiring. I would like to try this promotion for my rushmyessay comapany and hope that it works well for me.

07-Nov-20
Your DNR customer ID # is really no different then your Social Security #. There is a lot of info tied to it, and I would not give it out to anyone. With todays technology, there is plenty of ways to monitor entries for fraud. Is there really any guarantees what this company would do with there info, or if they could easily be hacked? I have no knowledge of this company, but this sounds like a fishy deal.

07-Nov-20
I put my Customer ID number on all my trail cameras and stands on all public lands, all be damned if I'm putting my name and address on there.

11-Nov-20
Lots of private companies and even states sell information from their databases, it’s a huge revenue earner for them and it's legal if you read the print about third parties. States don’t need your permission. Each piece they sell adds to the cost; your name and address might be 1.00, add age 2.00, income and or occupation, 3.00. From this information, along with where they purchased it from, they know exactly what to market to you. Given how much companies pay for this, they are very good and know exactly what data they want and knowing they felt this from DNR means your data will be sold to all kinds of outdoor, automotive, lawn and garden shops, etc... considering your data is likely sold 100s of times a year, the numbers are huge. John

11-Nov-20
All those data points are different than your ID number. Your ID number is tied to your SSN and other confidential information that they would never sell and we should never give out.

• Sitka Gear