Kansan 28-Nov-18
Shawn 29-Nov-18
Shawn 29-Nov-18
Shawn 29-Nov-18
Shawn 30-Nov-18
06-Nov-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Actually been here. Figured I would start a new thread. I have been hunting 4 days now. As you can see I have Jack out again. Came in late as I have not seen any movement til 5 or so!! Shawn

06-Nov-18
Wind is mostly west with a hint of south. I will say SW would be perfect but it's started. Got some cool video of a young 9pt this am if I can figure out how post it. I got on to some does and put up another stand for tomorrow morning. Good Luck everyone!! Shawn

07-Nov-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Great day so far, set up right on edge of doe bedding and the bucks are chasing!! Shawn

07-Nov-18
Good luck Shawn.

07-Nov-18
So this am was very good. Saw 3 different shooters chasing a doe, too bad they were over 400 yards away. I did have a nice 8pt come in to 23 yards. No pics of anything as I hid my pack on the ground and left my phone in it. That is until a buddy back home texted me like 8 times in a row and I forgot to turn the phone to vibrate. I had to finally get down and get it. I sat til 10 and would of stayed longer but was starving. I ran back to my room, ate and was back on stand by 12:45 and saw a grand total of one small 6pt at dark. Tomorrow is another day! Shawn

08-Nov-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Tough crowd, I am hunting in a pretty decent snow storm. Don't know if I should stick it out. Been sitting since noon and nothing. Pic of the creek crossing I am watching!! Shawn

08-Nov-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Tough crowd, I am hunting in a pretty decent snow storm. Don't know if I should stick it out. Been sitting since noon and nothing. Pic of the creek crossing I am watching!! Shawn

08-Nov-18
Really starting to accumulate in Manhattan. Wish I could be out hunting. Good luck Shawn!

08-Nov-18
If it quits, they will be on their feet soon, I'm hunting NC Ks the deer have moved the last 3 nights before now, nothing yet, but still snowing hard.

08-Nov-18
3 small bucks right at dark. One 2.5 year old nine point. That was it today and I sat over 10 hrs. I think I was wrong, I believe the big guys are paired with does and they are breeding. I would not say lock down but you better be on the does as the big guys don't seem to be out looking all over they have found them!! Shawn

08-Nov-18
I watched a big one come off his bed at the end of legal shooting light last night. He was bedded 40 yds from me. Those does go to the bucks just as much as the bucks go to them. That is why you usually don't see the big ones cruising til Thanksgiving when most of the does have been bred. But sometimes you can get lucky. Full moon around Thanksgiving so those are the times to sit all day.

09-Nov-18
Good luck Shawn. Thanks for posting your hunt.

Heading to KS in a couple hours. Can’t wait.

09-Nov-18
WKB, you got it, I watched a doe this morning acting all goofy and flicking her tail and than just darting away and coming back 5 minutes later. Took me 20 minutes to see the buck bedded right where she was making her display. He was not interested and I saw why about 5 minutes later he was bedded with another doe 10 ft from him in a little blow down. The wind was brutal this am and here where I am the windchill was 6 degrees at one point. I sat til 10:45 and could not take it any longer. Where I am the big bucks will start being out looking for left overs around the 14th or 15th. I still believe the actual breeding dates vary a bit from area to area. I know they do back home! Shawn

09-Nov-18
Another great afternoon on public. Same stand as this morning. I had a hot doe nearby and had 3 nice bucks all around me. One shooter for sure, I would say a mid 140s buck but 47 yards is pushing it for me this year. I cannot really practice due to my left shoulder so have only shot one arrow since early Oct. I do make sure I can draw the bow once on stand but thats it. I will be back in there in the am. 14 degrees with wind chills around zero or colder. Sitting a stand about 150 yards from the one today. No pics as it was brutally cold on both sits. Shawn

09-Nov-18
Pheasants for me tomorrow. Kinda of wish I would have shot the nice one I saw last week. Just don't have much interest in going through all the work on a deer that looks like the rest of the ones hanging in the garage. I have not shot an arrow since Halloween.

10-Nov-18
Pheasant and quail opens today Shawn, so pheasant hunter's are going to be "a thing", FYI.

10-Nov-18
We're always a "thing" Kyler ;?)

Good luck Shawn, keep pushin!

10-Nov-18
Not a thing where I am sitting 9 different bucks so far and not a shooter in the bunch. One pretty nice 9pt locked with a doe and he bred her at least once that I saw. He was only 110" buck tops!!! Not only the big guys get to bred the girls!! Shawn

10-Nov-18
Pheasant hunters ruining the bowhunters day. Damn "things". What is this world coming to.

10-Nov-18
I like to pheasant hunt just as much as I like to deer hunt. I could very well be the bird hunter that he runs in to. I’m just saying, that pheasant hunters are going to be in the fields now, and are something to be aware of.

10-Nov-18
I saw a nice one tonite. Northeast wind tomorrow ought to be good for me.

10-Nov-18
Like I said no pheasant hunters on the public I hunt and I also have private. I talked to a bunch of pheasant hunters at the motel and they saw more deer than birds. A couple groups limited out but hunted all day to do it. Big guys are locked down!!! Shawn

11-Nov-18
It can be tough in the early season for sure. Those standing crops seem to vacuum up a lot of the pheasants.

11-Nov-18
5 does and a dink for me so far. Its 9:34.

11-Nov-18
I did the ground and pound this morning. I had to walk well over a mile to get the wind and than set up and rattled. First try a 4pt came charging in. I sat another 15 minutes and nothing so I moved 400 yds. Again I set up in a little group of cedars and rattled and grunted. I sat 20 minutes and grunted and doe bleated every few minutes and nothing. Again moved about 400 yards and did the same this time after 20 minutes I got up and started to move and a 9pt. was coming about 80 yards out. He saw me but he came anyway. Got to 35 yards. Same buck I rattled in yesterday from a stand on this property. I waited him out and moved again. This time about 500 yards and I was close back to the truck. I rattled and grunted and within minutes in comes the same 9pt. He is anxious for sure. Pretty buck I would say 2.5 years old about 100"s. I have a pic. I will post later. On my way out to sit private and see what happens!! Shawn

11-Nov-18
Crazy slow, I have a bud hunting private in SE Kansas and in 3 days he has seen 3 does and 7pt. He said his buddy the landowner has trail cam pics of some truly big bucks and has not had a pic of any of them in about 4 days. Locked down?? I think so. Shawn

11-Nov-18
Hunted southeast for three days three little bucks one fairly nice eight and for young does. No mature deer at all. Hunting conditions SUCKED

11-Nov-18
Keep after'm fellas...this is THE week!

11-Nov-18

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Shawn, I had a big 9pt come in as well today. He came in to check out and then skirt my decoy. At one put he was just out in front of and below the platform of my stand. I gave him a pass today like I did last year when he was a big 8. If I see him again next year....he should be the right size and ain’t gettin a pass!

11-Nov-18
Saw lots of movement today, young bucks were on their all day today in SEK. Saw a 160” 10 yesterday afternoon.

11-Nov-18
Idk Shawn. Last 2 days have been my best from the stand. I know of at least one big deer going down and I have been getting pics from friends and family of big bucks cruising mid day.

13-Nov-18
Where ya at bro? You didn't try to stick your tongue to a treestand did ya?

13-Nov-18
^^^^^^^^^

19-Nov-18
Where you at, Shawn?

19-Nov-18
Hopefully he just lost his phone.

21-Nov-18
man i just started reading this thread... i thought there would have been an ending??

21-Nov-18
I’m genuinely concerned. This isn’t like him, especially during season when he has time and access from his motel. I know we’ve all piled crap on him over the years but does anyone have his number? Just odd for him to vanish like this.

21-Nov-18
I was thinking the exact same thing, Mike Pearce?

21-Nov-18
I know he’s sent me text messages several time in past years, but I didn’t keep his #, unfortunately.

21-Nov-18
He did this exact same think 2-3 years ago. Gave a couple hunt recaps then disappeared for weeks. Ended up he shot one but didn't want to show it off.

22-Nov-18
My guess based on his slow start is that he had a slow end as well. Maybe shot a small one just to fill his tag and is embarrassed to post it. He shouldn’t be embarrassed since he can shoot what he wants but some folks are that way. Based on his posts he’s pretty confident about his ability to kill a big one and I think the opposite happened. Some guys preach and preach about letting the young ones walk but then they kill a young one themselves just so they don’t go home empty handed.

22-Nov-18
Leave the guy alone, the insults are sickening. He has killed dozens with a traditional bow and drives along way with success here. Hope all is well Shawn!

22-Nov-18
I seriously hope he’s okay and back in NY for Thanksgiving. “Sickening” yeah this entire site has become that way. Guys comparing baiting deer to abortion, bait free meat poles......but it is social media and all we have to do is ignore it.

22-Nov-18
The entire site is "sickening"...really? Just because you bait lol?

22-Nov-18
Clip - X2 Rak1 X1.5

27-Nov-18
Sorry guys, I had to leave due to my wifes illness. I have been on a couple times but not posted. I was into deer early and than it got slow and as it got colder things were heating up but I had to leave. I drove 27 hrs straight to get home to be with my family. I actually lost out on about 5 days of hunting which hurt but I needed to be home. All is well for now and I did manage to kill a good 8pt here at home. 4.5 year old 115-120" eight point. I will post a pic. at some point. I want to Thank everyone for their concern and again I am sorry I was out of touch for so long. I love hunting Kansas and I will be back next year and hopefully bring my wife an my new bird dog Leroy. Time will tell!! Thanks again!! Shawn

27-Nov-18
Good to hear, but sorry about your wife Shawn...hope all is well now! Til next year!

27-Nov-18
Best wishes to you n wife Shawn. Enjoy your posts.

27-Nov-18
Glad your good, Shawn!

27-Nov-18
Glad you’re safe. Hope your wife continues to heal. Anxious to meet Leroy.

27-Nov-18
Great to hear hope your wife is good. Love the name leroy

28-Nov-18
Hope your wife is doing better. A 115"-120" NY 8 is equal to a KS 150". That's awesome. Post a pic.

28-Nov-18
Thanks for getting back to us. Until next year!

29-Nov-18
Opening day of gun season shot in a bow only area. He was chasing a hot doe and I shot him at 7yds. Thanks guys, it will be a long road with my wife but she is a tough girl and says she will be fine. I have a story about Leroy and how he got his name. Shawn

29-Nov-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
The property owners grandson killed this muley the day before I left. Nice buck I think!! Shawn

29-Nov-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
The property owners grandson killed this muley the day before I left. Nice buck I think!! Shawn

30-Nov-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Here is a NY buck shot by a friend in Western NY. The other side has "normal" mass. Shawn

• Sitka Gear