BW 06-Nov-18
Bloodtrail 06-Nov-18
BW 06-Nov-18
Franklin 07-Nov-18
BW 07-Nov-18
Live2hunt 07-Nov-18
Jeff in MN 07-Nov-18
06-Nov-18
I hunt north of Wisconsin Dells, we'll be having A LOT of West winds. My hunting area really has no good hunting areas for a west wind. Honestly, the extreme majority of the land is set up for everything except West wind (which is unfortunate because that's what we get the most). So, here's the question, my best rut spot has activity to the west of it. Do I risk hunting there so I'm in the action, or just forget about it? As of this year, that spot is the only place I've consistently seen deer. Thanks!

06-Nov-18
Just go hunt. During the rut bucks pay way less attention to where people are. Their minds are on more important business. On the flip side the doe don't care much about the people either. Their effort is focused more on avoiding those crazy bucks until the time is right.

Long term, you need to find/create some west wind setups.

06-Nov-18
Hunt it. You have to go where they are in order to have a chance. Don’t get discouraged if you bust one or two out. They’ll be back.

06-Nov-18
I'm really trying, but we have so little woods and there just aren't spots for west wind setups. The wind cuts across all their traveling routes and bedding.

06-Nov-18
Sounds good, I'm sold! Should I be worried about burning out the stand?

06-Nov-18
I try to play the wind as much as I can, but let's face it during the rut a bucks going to go where it wants. So that being said I have killed bucks that have been straight down wind on days. Then there's deer that have been up wind and still get spooked. Don't over think it.

06-Nov-18
Ok, thank you...I tend to do that a lot

06-Nov-18
How about get as close to the action as possible with the wind in your favor. Then rattle/grunt them in? Just a thought. Also, I have had great luck with ozonics when I cant hunt the proper wind.

06-Nov-18
I am going to move closer, but the wind still probably won't be in my favor. I'll definitely try rattle and grunting, but haven't gotten any bites in days on that. I'll definitely try something new though.

06-Nov-18
Hunt!

06-Nov-18
I am doing that. Been on rutcation since 2 Saturdays ago

07-Nov-18
I was at the base of my stand when 2 does walk up and flat out bust me. The give a blow and run up the ridge....I see them stop at the top when I climb into my stand. 5 minutes later a small buck starts chasing them....where do they run? Right back under my stand where they just busted me standing there!!! The point is like others have said....when it`s the rut a lot of so called "must never do`s" go out the window. Get as clean as you can....where fresh clothes and go.

07-Nov-18
Very cool!

07-Nov-18
Franklin, I think the does do that on purpose thinking you will shoot the problem chasing them, LOL.

07-Nov-18
Franklin and L2H, I seen doe try to throw their 'attacker' under the buss too.

• Sitka Gear