SevOne 12-Nov-18
Will 12-Nov-18
Tekoa 12-Nov-18
hickstick 13-Nov-18
peterk1234 13-Nov-18
07-Nov-18

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
There was a thread a while back about what deer eat. I'd mentioned winter green and keep forgetting to post a pic. This is it.

07-Nov-18
Will, if I'm in the woods near Wintergreen I'm usually chewing on the stuff, I can see why the deer like it. Try it in the spring when the new leaves are sprouting, it'll be at it's best. It also makes a great pain relieving tea at the end of a hard day.

07-Nov-18
Their is a plate almost the same but has a white line down the leaf not good to eat

07-Nov-18
Its called Teaberry! I love em!

07-Nov-18
Winter berry

07-Nov-18
Sev - Have you ever tried making tea? Seriously? I've chewed them and stuff, but I have heard some folks actually boil them into a tea - similar to making dandelion tea. Curious if you have tried it?

08-Nov-18
Will, I know this question was posed at Sev, but I will attest to the deliciousness and benefits of Wintergreen tea. Very clean, mild minty flavor, plus similarties to Advil from what I've read. Placebo? Maybe, but it's helped with my pain. If I make it at home I use a mortel and pestel to break up the plant to make extraction easier, if in the woods just smash with hands as best you can. Also, if you can, just pour very hot water over the leaves. I forget the temp, but there is a point at which the beneficial compounds are lost.

08-Nov-18

Dan6310's embedded Photo
Dan6310's embedded Photo
Will, I’m not sure your picture is of the wintergreen, tea berry plant. I’ve seen that plant many time but the pic I posted is tea-berry as I pick it every October to add to mead or beer I make. The tea berry use to be the original wintergreen flavoring in foods until the FDA discovered it has a compound found in aspirin and banned the use of it in favor of synthetic wintergreen.

11-Nov-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
Found some yesterday doing a midday walkabout.

11-Nov-18

Does anyone know what this is? It's all over as well

11-Nov-18
That looks like checker berrys

12-Nov-18
those leaves almost look waxlike... Different than what i was thinking.

12-Nov-18
Will,

I just pick em and chew them like candy! Never tried tea. I use it as my outdoor breath mints

12-Nov-18
Cool Sev! Thanks for the info overall guys. Hick, i've seen that one you showed, but I'm not sure the name.

12-Nov-18
Seems like we have some serious foragers on the forum. I see another good good thread for Spring and Summer while we are waiting for the next deer season.

Tekoa

13-Nov-18
Will...my google machine search says its called 'Spotted Wintergreen' (which is funny cause its striped, not spotted), although it doesn't really say if its edible or not.

13-Nov-18
I'm with Tekoa. The mushroom forum got me thinking about edible plants in the woods. I started reading about it a bit. Wild onions, garlic, dandelions, etc.

Ya, I'm going full prepper here :)

• Sitka Gear