Buglmin 11-Feb-19
goelk 11-Feb-19
cnelk 11-Feb-19
Jaquomo 11-Feb-19
Longcruise 11-Feb-19
07-Nov-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Interesting dates. Five Saturdays in August of 2019. Season will start on the last Saturday in August, (as normal) ie, Aug. 31 and will continue to almost the end of Sept, ie, Sept 29th.

ML elk and deer, Sept 14 to Sept. 22. This still allows the last week for bow hunters.

Should be a good later season. Full moon Sept 14th. leaving the last 9 days with little of no moon.

07-Nov-18
I like it. Might even burn a couple of points.

08-Nov-18
As archery elk hunter's we wait 5 years for a 2019 season... smoke em if you got em

08-Nov-18
I cant wait until the CPW changes the season to Sept 1-30. That way we dont have to wait 5 years to hunt the end of Sept.

08-Nov-18
Muzzleloaders should have a great year. Mid Sept may be the best time for calling but I love being out at the end of Sept.

08-Nov-18
Like cnelk, I would love to see Sept.1-30 every year.

08-Nov-18
cnelk X 3

08-Nov-18
once every four years we catch a break...

12-Nov-18
I have Sep 25-28 2019 booked to hunt in Colorado. Very little moon visibility so i'm thankful for that. Is the end of September still very active for bugling bulls? This date was the earliest I could get and was hoping to hit peak rut or just before.

12-Nov-18
A mule deer hunters nightmare. There will be less days to chase bucks in velvet, before they change their patterns once they go hard horned.

12-Nov-18
Thinking about burning points in Wyoming in ‘19 for elk, but may be worth an OTC tag in Colorado.

Sucks for mule deer hunting.

12-Nov-18
Hancock, yes they will be actively bugling then but is there any way you can go for more than 4 days? That's a very short archery elk hunt.

12-Nov-18
Great dates Hancock but as Aspen Ghost stated more time would be great. Time afield is a big multiplier for killing an elk.

13-Nov-18
Looks like a great season schedule for next year >>------->

12-Jan-19
I am 62 year old bow hunter wanting to hunt elk for the first time. Any areas that would be kind to a rookie elk hunter?

12-Jan-19
You ought to start a new topic.

13-Jan-19
x4 on wanting to start Sept 1 every year.

13-Jan-19
I want a longer season until i filled. Lol

29-Jan-19

Zenith Level Bow 's embedded Photo
Lone Bull off my Porch Jan 28 in GMU 70
Zenith Level Bow 's embedded Photo
Lone Bull off my Porch Jan 28 in GMU 70

Zenith Level Bow 's Link
We have Lobbied CO DO w for decads for these Improved Dates and Lighted Nocks to be allowed.Now , to get the ML to have their Own Season in the 2 weeks between Bow Closing and First RIfle Oct 12 this year. ( Hunter Safety )Photo is a bull off my porch in CO GMU 70 / Jan 28

29-Jan-19
Zenith, your link doesnt work. What aspect of CV hunter safety" would be achieved by giving MLs their own season? There are plenty of reasons, but hunter safety isn't legit.

07-Feb-19
Yea the dates suck for mule deer darn it. Nice for elk but velvet mulies consume my brain

07-Feb-19
Justin, you’re just gonna have to look out of state...

Heck, there were several good bucks still in velvet the last weekend of archery where I was hunting last year which I found kind of weird.

07-Feb-19
Treeline, those were bucks that got their nuts clipped by a barbed fire fence. ;-)

07-Feb-19
Maybe...

My boy killed one with his bow last year in that area the last weekend of muzzle loader in full velvet so, maybe they are just late bloomers?

09-Feb-19
When the DOW set up season dates, they allowed the weeks between Archety and rifle do the anaimals would have a few weeks to breed uninterrupted. Like they should be allowed. Now, if you want to seperate archery and black powder, which ten days of Archery season are you going to give up? In the 80's, you had one long gun season running roughly thirty days. You also had archery deer start two weeks before archery elk, and end two weeks before archery elk. So, if wanting black powder serperated, you have to purpose giving up archery dates.

In all reality, you're playing with fire, and something may have been started that many ain't going to like. By writing letters and sending petitions, you might see archery either start earlier and end mid September, or see our seasons end the third week of September. And if you it won't happen, pay attention to what's going on in New Mexico...

10-Feb-19
My opinion is that it would be better to have ML and Archery seasons separate but its too late. The Fall is beyond full and the elk tags the CPW has added during the "quit period" are all rifle and likely will continue to be. Any change with a chance of happening now would almost certainly be a loss for bowhunters.

Side note: I was told in the late 80's that the quiet period was essential to allow the elk to rut in piece to ensure herd growth. In the 2000's when we were over population objective I was told the quiet period was essential to ensure that 1st rifle season hunters had a quality experience and rifle harvest would be high enough to meet the goals of reducing the herd. Now the answer is back to ensuring successful breeding.

Bottom line is that nothing to enhance archery or muzzleloader hunting will be a reason to move tags into the quiet period.

10-Feb-19
I read something from CPW recently stating that collared elk studies show elk definitely move back into NF from private during the "quiet period" in some areas. In North Park they may move a couple hundred yards back across the fence in some places, but the mass migration that occurs during archery/ML certainly doesn't get reversed by a couple weeks of no hunting. If anything, rifle scouters may exacerbate the problem.

CPW is about to do another big collared elk study in N. Central CO. This will be interesting because the area has large expanses of rugged NF and some nearby wilderness, but not the giant ranches until across on the WY side of the line. I know the biologist leading it and plan to keep tabs on the results.

10-Feb-19
I laugh when everyone thinks the peak of the elk rut is Sept 15-30. Rutting activity may be witnessed higher at this time, but only because that's when archery season is happening.

Go check out the elk rutting activity during the 'Quiet Time' and you'll think that mid-late Sept is probably the pre-rut

10-Feb-19
What some to forget is, during the 90's, we enjoyed a good elk season in New Mexico. Then a group of people decided the 15 days wasn't good enough, and the season got split into two seasons, the second season only a few days longer, but none over ten days.

And I remember buying otc deer tags to chase deer in January. People started complaining about crowds, and now I've yet to draw a mule deer tag for January since 2005. If it weren't for land owner vouchers, I'd never get to chase deer in January. Sometimes it's best to enjoy what you got, cause you could end up with less days.

Wanting archery and black powder seperate do sounds great on paper, but what ten days are you, as a bowhunter, willing to give up? As is now, archery hunters get roughly 30 days to chase elk and deer, bring allowed to archery hunt during the black powder season. If seperated, are you happy having 20 days to archery hunt?

It seems,matter for the longest time,mother seasons were great the way they were. Almost everyone was happy. Elk hunting became very popular, and now bowhunters want more and more, better and better. The older generation is fine the way the seasons are, just unhappy with the higher numbers of non resident hunters. But on the polls and threads done on Facebook, you get a lot of younger non resident hunters wanting longer and later seasons now for elk.

10-Feb-19
"Wanting archery and black powder seperate do sounds great on paper, but what ten days are you, as a bowhunter, willing to give up?"

None! Why should archery have to give up anything for a rifle hunt. Move ML after archery. In the past the MLs had no problem with that. Then, after whatever they decide is appropriate for a "quiet time" have the first rifle. Historically there was NO early rifle elk. When they decided to start one, it should have been for ML right from the beginning. Archers would have been happy and MLs would have been happy. And they are the two methods of take growing the fastest, especially if you also change non-resident OTC from the default hunt if they don't draw somewhere they'd rather hunt.

10-Feb-19
I could care less about ML overlapping with archery. In all the years I've hunted I've never had a bad interaction with a smokepoler in the woods. If you don't want to be in the wood with MLers then stay home during that part of the season. The CPW has made it clear that archers are lowest on the totem pole so we will get the shaft if changes are made.

10-Feb-19
Because,mid you research things, you'd see the three week overlap between the end of archery season and the first gun season is to allow elk to breed uninterrupted. That's the way the DOW wants it. They aren't going to move gun seasons to start later and end in December. The forest service isn't going yo plow roads and keep roads open to allow hunters to access areas. DOW ain't going to want that much pressure put on wintering elk.

Historically, gun season started the middle of October and ran for thirty days until the middle if November. There was no split season. Do the math, you have four seasons now totally around thirty days, ending the middle of November, just like it used yo in the 80's. There was no lengthen gun seasons, they weren't given longer seasons. Again, why do we, as bowhunters, need a full 30 days? Because we want them and deserve them? Bowhunters in New Mexico thought they needed longer seasons to...

As of how, bowhunters want the entire month of September and part of October to hunt rutting elk cause they insist the rutting period is getting later and later and they deserve to hunt elk in the rut. As for non residents and otc tags, they have to be limited. No ifs ands or buts. But the problem is, residents will end up being draw also. So, as much as you hate to admit, soon, you're going to be lucky to hunt elk every other year or every two years. Most guys that rifle hunt will apply for archery tags first and rifle as their second choice. You're not going to have just archery hunters applying for archery tags.

10-Feb-19
Here's an unpalatable scenario for Bowhunters. Archery season closes for ml and reopens after. Nine days of bowhunting are lost including two weekends.

10-Feb-19
Anthony, you state, "as of now, bowhunters want the entire month of Sept and part of Oct to hunt rutting elk cause they insist the rutting period is getting later and they deserve to hunt elk in the rut."

Are you referring to the Colorado?

Where do you see that bowhunters want to extend the archery season into Oct.?

Actually, here in Colorado, one of the leading CPW Commissioners brought up the subject and stated he would support the Sept season. The CBA is just following up on that suggestion and placed it on the BGSS agenda.

my best, Paul

10-Feb-19
The Sept season is a wash for me. I'm fine with it but we do lose weekend days which I use a lot. The trade off is getting a little later dates and a consistent calendar which I like.

Elk herds have gone up and down, below and above objectives and bow season isn't the reason for any of it.

Expanding bow season days isn't being asked for and wouldn't have chance at the moment but its actually not a bad idea. The CPW has a couple major issues it is always dealing with: revenue and how to distribute a limited amount of resource to a growing demand.

Bowhunting produces more license revenue per harvested animal and more recreation days. When you have a limited supply, maybe expanding access to a user method that is willing to pay more and take less should be considered. Bowhunting is growing steadily in Colorado. Many states would love to have that problem. We aren't the solution when a big harvest to knock down populations is needed but we are a great tool if you are trying to come up with maximum opportunity from a limited supply.

If you have one pie to sell and one group will pay $5.00 for a full slice while another group will gladly pay $5.00 for 1/2 a slice, maybe the group willing to take less should be looked at as an asset instead of a pain in the rear even if that group isn't big enough to buy all the pie.

11-Feb-19
Glunt...good point!

The CPW is revenue focused (and will continue to be for the foreseeable future) and this approach may get their attention. Of course, then we will be referred to as low revenue customers (residents) or high revenue customers (non-residents).

11-Feb-19
"Historically, gun season started the middle of October and ran for thirty days until the middle if November."

I don't think that is accurate. I may be wrong in my recollection and can't find any information on earlier seasons, but I was rifle hunting in Colorado from the mid '70s into the early '80s. What I recall is a 3 year season structure. Approximately 30 days, the first half was rifle deer, the second half was rifle elk. Nine to 14 days for each species? After one 3 year period the order was reversed to elk before deer. When they started adding rifle seasons, they didn't split existing seasons into shorter periods, they just ADDED more rifle hunts.

11-Feb-19
Paul, When the the topic came up on Facebook, several days before it was brought up here, the responses were overwhelming. And a lot of talk was all about a season all of September and part of October because many wanted to chase elk in the rut that they believed is starting later.

Ziek, when archery season started, you hunted mule deer for two weeks before elk season started. It was the same way with rifle. We gun hunted deer and then elk. We hunted elk till second week of November, I remember cause we hunted elk after my birthday in November. Gun season was a 30 day affair. Sorry you feel they added gun seasons when all they did was seperate and make four seasons from one. I've been hunting Colorado since the 80's, and did talk to the CPW over the season structure. I also know of the group of guys that again petitioned the CPW that wants a seperate traditional only season. All these different seperate groups that have their our agenda is doing nothing but hurting us. I saw what the DOW did to New Mexico, and know how hard it is yo now draw tags. They raised the non resident costs, and I see Colorado going to a draw for everyone, raising costs, and making things harder for us to draw tags,

11-Feb-19
Not to change the subject, i remember the days in Colorado if you did not fill your archery tag you could rifle hunt.

11-Feb-19
"When the the topic came up on Facebook, several days before it was brought up here, the responses were overwhelming."

Based on my experiences, Facebook isnt exactly the best informed group....

11-Feb-19
Before they split up rifle seasons into what it is now, there was a separate rifle elk, rifle deer, then a combo deer-elk hunt. If I remember correctly they alternated which came first (deer-elk) each year. Archery elk always ended the first Sunday in October. My first marriage was on October 6, 1984, and some of my friends missed it because they were still bowhunting elk. The separate rifle elk season started on the next Saturday, the 13th, when my new bride and I found ourselves marooned on a horseback rifle elk hunt (for her) honeymoon in the infamous "Blizzard of '84".

I listened to the Broncos-Packers famous "snow bowl" MNF game on my little radio in the tent, with 3' of snow on the ground outside.

11-Feb-19
"Not to change the subject, i remember the days in Colorado if you did not fill your archery tag you could rifle hunt."

Yes, and if you killed a deer in rifle season you could go to town and get another tag for $5.

I always hung onto my tags until after January because it was not uncommon for DOW to declare a post season hunt and the tags were still good for those.

That was back when Colorado had more deer than ski condos.

• Sitka Gear