Thornton 28-Dec-18
Thornton 28-Dec-18
Quinn @work 21-Jan-19
Slate 21-Jan-19
Thornton 22-Jan-19
08-Nov-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
I like to walk in with a bit of gray light and this morning was no exception. As soon as I parked and got out, a spike that made the scrapes where I park was snorting at me. As I walked, he would run ahead, stop, turn sideways and snort some more. This went on for a quarter mile until I got to the middle beanfield and walked up on a young 8 pointer that didn't seem to care I was only 60 yards away

08-Nov-18

A minute later, a smaller 8 point joined the stare down. I took some photos and kept walking towards them. They ran back in the woods and I headed to the creek crossing. As I jumped across the water, a ten point bedded with a doe jumped up and ran out of the creek only 45 yards from me.

08-Nov-18

This is the famous hedge row that will be in the Kansas Fence Law books someday
This is the famous hedge row that will be in the Kansas Fence Law books someday
I climbed into a stand that I moved to an old hedge tree yesterday. As soon as I was situated, I blew my grunt call and was immediately startled by a loud snort behind me. Another spike had walked into range in the 2 minutes I was in the tree.

08-Nov-18

The grass field the tall 8 pointer ran across
The grass field the tall 8 pointer ran across
A short time later, two does squirted out of the creek bottom and came up the hill. As I suspected, a buck followed about 5 minutes later. He was a heavy, brown antlered 8 point that was tall and narrow. Definitely had some of the same genes of a buck I passed out here a few years ago. Due to all the limbs, I couldn't get my camera to focus with him moving. 6 bucks before 7:30 AM and my buddy just shot one in Harvey County!

08-Nov-18

I was headed out to glass some open country when the big flakes started. Maybe this evening I'll do some stalking in the woods

08-Nov-18

Did some stalking through a cedar thicket this afternoon. First buck I saw was a young 8 pt

08-Nov-18

Snow geese flying in the snow

08-Nov-18

My friend's buck he shot this morning. The Rage expandable almost did the meat carving for him

08-Nov-18
Wow I love them RAGE. Congrats to him. In the snow pretty dam cool

08-Nov-18
Surely he sent a better pic?

08-Nov-18
He surely did but he is media shy. He has no Facebook and dislikes the jabbing on Bowsite so I have to respect that.

08-Nov-18
Pretty easy to crop out a "face", point is you can't even tell what he is...no matter, congrats to the hunter and now he can chase other stuff!

08-Nov-18

08-Nov-18
Right on, congrats again...now get you one!

08-Nov-18
I'm working on it. I had a big one at 36 yards tonight but a forkhorn walked up to ten yards, looked me in the eye, and ruined everything

09-Nov-18
You should not have been giving that forky the eye. I kid, I kid.

Hope you get another chance at the big one.

09-Nov-18
Yes it's a whole different ballgame when you're standing on the ground with them.

09-Nov-18

Scouted some public duck hunting spots this afternoon. Saw lots of ducks on big water but we will probably hunt a river in the morning due to my friend's boys not having chest waders.

09-Nov-18

Ducks on the mouth of the river about half a mile away
Ducks on the mouth of the river about half a mile away

09-Nov-18

Got to the farm and decided to hunt the woods. A short time later a coyote skirted me and I couldn't get him to turn around with mouth squeaks. He stopped then went on his way. Figured my wind was wrong so I climbed down and headed across the field to my "scent free" blind. Ten minutes later a young 7 pt came out with a young fawn.

09-Nov-18

Something on the neighbor spooked them and they headed to the timber. 5 minutes later, several does came out

09-Nov-18

The three hens that live on the farm came by a few feet away. Not sure if something was stalking them because I heard steps in the creek behind my tent after they went by

09-Nov-18

Not long after, the buck with a paddle for an antler I've seen two other times in person, herded the mature does back in the woods. It was over in a minute and I couldn't get him on camera.

09-Nov-18

A minute after I took this picture, I spotted a coyote a few yards off the road skylining himself with the red sunset behind him. It would have been a great photo but he didn't stay long before slipping into the dark hillside

10-Nov-18

I took this photo yesterday afternoon while scouting duck spots. It was iced solid this morning. Luckily the river was open a few yards away and we had some good pass shooting on wood ducks and a few mallards for half an hour.

10-Nov-18

10-Nov-18

Rascal was ready to go back to his sleeping bag. We were going to kick around for some quail or pheasants but the milo already had plenty of hunters walking it.

10-Nov-18
Did you get my PM Jason?

10-Nov-18
I got parts of it Chief and I replied with a PM

10-Nov-18
Well sorry about that. You know where I'm talking about! You can wade up stream quite a ways (flat rock bottom) with rubber boots, set the decoys and hardly get above ankles wet. Shoot from the west bank. Use to be my favorite spot during high school, for duck hunting. Or maybe there is some rules against duck hunting there now, I don't know. Was a good spot back then.

10-Nov-18
Did you wait until the ponds froze? I have seen some ducks in that area when I dove hunt. I lost a 30 lb+ flathead on rod and reel when I almost had him to shore about a mile around the bend where the island is.

10-Nov-18
No, on the pond freeze, not that I remember anyway. Mostly on school break for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Great for still hunting on a wet days, alot of area if you go slow like you should, it takes all afternoon, then sit for the evening hunt in the big timber at the North end. Yeah, I set that island on fire about 45 years ago when wife's and my family were camping and fishing on the 4th of July. fireworks!

11-Nov-18
Any upland reports? Heading that way tmro with my father

11-Nov-18
Scattered success as has been the pattern for the last few years. That's why we went duck hunting

11-Nov-18

Here you go Chief. 40 acres with a cabin north of the lake. Pretty cheap by today's prices -$80k.

11-Nov-18
What lake is that? Is it for sale?

11-Nov-18
Fall River - Go buy it! I would but I'm trying to get my next farm closer to home.

12-Nov-18
Thornton, The 2 sections east and south of that property used to belong to Frank Bills trucking in Severy and has a super draw right down the middle of it. He passed and I have no Idea who owns it now, I was lucky enough that let me hunt anything he had and he owned half of southern greenwood county (cattle operation). But then the dollars showed up and the rest is history. Got stuck up on top, on the lane coming in from the north spent a cold night there, until one of his cattle feeder guy's showed up next morning and pulled me out. Way before cell phones. Last time I owned a two wheel drive pickup. Don't know much about the property for sale. Close to a lot of department of tourism land though.

12-Nov-18

Headed to the Cimarron River!

15-Nov-18

I was on standby for this hunt and found out the owner's rifle hunters were all indeed coming. We found a new spot not too far away, albeit smaller. The weather was cold and there were scattered areas of up to 4" of snow with drifts. We had no stands so finding cedars was the way to go. I only saw 2 bucks on this trip.

15-Nov-18
Keep the reports coming, Jason. Living vicariously since I don’t travel like I used to...

15-Nov-18
It's funny I was setting on my couch four hours ago after reading sitos post I fired up my truck and went north now I'm in ks. I know what you mean Writer but sometimes you just gotta go. I'm 61 and can't do what I use to but these post give me a fourty year old fever

15-Nov-18
Great pic jason

15-Nov-18
61? That’s not old.

20-Nov-18

Went out this evening to the hills and glassed. Ended up walking about 3 miles and saw a lot of deer including 10 different bucks and at least 15 does. I've hunted this area since I was 15 and never seen this kind of activity. 4 of the bucks were over 140"

20-Nov-18

20-Nov-18

I've been having problems with my phone and memory. I was able to get a few pics this evening before it locked up again. The real excitement came after I photographed this doe and hiked over the bowl to the next draw. I encountered 4 bucks following 3 does. 2 bucks were old and 2 were young. The biggest was a huge buck I estimated to be 6 years old. I got to within 80 yards and followed him andbtge doe for half a mile. He was so high on hormones the only reason I couldn't get in range was because his foe kept getting up and running. She would run 200 yds and lay back down.

21-Nov-18
"I've hunted this area since I was 15 and never seen this kind of activity. 4 of the bucks were over 140""

Does this mean that the hunting has gotten better in your area even though you claim the NR's have ruined the hunting in KS?

Don't stress we're only a week away from you being able to take out the long range rifle so you can actually fill your KS buck tag from 1/4 mile away. Anxiously awaiting the picture of your rifle killed KS buck which we all knew would be the final outcome of this thread when you started it.

Surprised we didn't see a rifle killed CO muley buck during the rut this year? Did I miss it? Good luck on the rest of your season.

21-Nov-18
Don't worry QuinntheQueer, I got a nice one spot and stalk with a bow in Oklahoma last week. My phone crashed And I'm still waiting on the land owner to email me my photos. I only dislike NR that are mouthy or hypocritical like yourself. A guy that badmouths rifle hunters but teaches his own son how to rifle hunt.

21-Nov-18
Bodyman:

I agree with Writer 61 isn't old.

21-Nov-18
Two bad knees and a bad back sure makes it feel bad Lee

21-Nov-18
Does your face hurt Frank?

22-Nov-18

My Dad's knees are shot now but he's 86. I don't think he'd survive a surgery but 61 is pretty young Frank. If you don't want knee replacements get you one of those jacked up golf carts with a lift and mud tires. They are real quiet. I took dad antelope hunting in New Mexico last August and we were able to get within 250 yards of a herd in the bottom of a draw using a 4 wheeler. He got off and used a camera tripod to take the shot.

22-Nov-18

I returned to the same area this afternoon. I parked, hiked about a quarter mile and glassed a draw I saw a ten point bedded in last Thanksgiving. I had to blink because there was a much bigger buck bedded in the same spot. As big ones do, he had his back to the wind while he faced downwind. I immediately backtracked and tried to come over the ridge behind him and at an angle he wouldn't smell me. It didn't work, and he was headed around the hill.

22-Nov-18

He was bedded in the exact spot this buck was almost a year ago to the day. The buck today was much bigger and the running photo above doesn't do him justice. I guessed he was 160" and he has a 8" brow tine. I followed him around the hill and watched him check a thicket of willows and walk over the hill.

23-Nov-18

Didn't see much today. 2 bucks on the property and two on the way out. One was a big one chasing a doe. There was a little buck following up the rear.

23-Nov-18

23-Nov-18

Ran into this little coon fishing in a creek for crawdads I'm guessing. He acted like he'd never seen a person.

23-Nov-18

All the creeks out here are crystal clear.

23-Nov-18
That’s a cool picture

23-Nov-18

Thanks. The poor guy was scared to death

23-Nov-18
You might make a good "coon dog" ;)

24-Nov-18
Thornton,

That's an awesome pic of your Dad with that nice goat! Glad he could still get out there and enjoy the hunt and a great buck to boot.

As far as the coon picture I'm just wondering which one in the photo was the coon.

Pretty sure most guys on this site when they were 12 rifle hunted. Unlike you who claims to be a 35+ or whatever bowhunter on a bowsite that really can only kill a deer win KS with a gun. Only 4 more days till your season starts. Hope to see your hero shot on Wednesday November 28.

24-Nov-18

Circa early 2000's?
Circa early 2000's?

24-Nov-18

24-Nov-18

11-14-18 Oklahoma Territory. Spot and stalk in a winter storm.
11-14-18 Oklahoma Territory. Spot and stalk in a winter storm.

26-Nov-18

The neighbor up the river had a rifle hunter kill this buck. It supposedly went 170"

26-Nov-18

I went scouting tonight and saw some nice bucks moving.

27-Nov-18
170 pounds maybe. Looks way closer to 150”, IMO.

27-Nov-18
I was thinking 160". The deer down there are the same size as Kansas. He's only a mile or two from the border.

27-Nov-18

First quail of the season 5 minutes from the house.

27-Nov-18

Lots of deer moving this evening. Saw almost 30 along the roads on our short bird hunt.

28-Nov-18

I took a good friend hunting today and we saw bucks chasing does everywhere. Saw one on "lockdown" and another run a doe hard for at least two miles. He passed on this 9 pt at sunrise.

28-Nov-18

This young 6 point didn't seem very alarmed

28-Nov-18

No giardia in this creek.

29-Nov-18
Good looking lab.Curious about the shotgun.Care to share any info on it?

29-Nov-18
Old Springfield sxs 16 gauge. Some guy on gun forum had some guns for sale last summer and mailed it to me. Neat old gun and I'll probably re-finish the stock.

29-Nov-18

Does anyone know the trick to opening memory on a smart phone? I've tried deleting everything and it still will only let me take a few photos before I get this message. I've tried my burner travel phone but it takes grainy pictures. I'm about ready to take a work phone home.

29-Nov-18
Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Delete Stuff

29-Nov-18
I had the same issue a couple months ago. I also went and deleted pictures, emails and texts like crazy but didn't help. Can't remember where I found it but every picture you have sent is saved and you have to delete those. Also the last software update on the iphone the storage on the pictures is in the cloud I believe. My photo storage data dropped to next to nothing after the update and shutting the phone off and rebooting it.

29-Nov-18
I’ve never turned iCloud on but I do remember an update that I never allowed so I’ll try that. Thanks again!

29-Nov-18
Hope it works out for you. I was videoing 2 bucks sparring under my tree when I ran out of storage. Had 4 bucks under 25 yards for over 20 minutes and I got just about 3 minutes before it shut off on me. So sad as it was really cool to watch them all open and work the same scrape and grunting at each other.

29-Nov-18
That’s where I’m at. I’ve been hunting almost everyday and I have seen a lot of stuff I couldn’t photograph.

30-Nov-18
Let me ask my 11 year old daughter....

07-Dec-18

Saw 5 bucks tonight on the neighbor's. Some were half heartedly pushing does around. 3 does came out and fed while my farmer combed the beans.

07-Dec-18

Found this young buck in the back pasture yesterday. The neighbor mentioned it may be the one his young boy crippled with a crossbow last year. First he said it was a high 170"s, then he said it was probably a 155", now he says maybe this is it. Who knows ...

07-Dec-18
Getting into crunch time. You making plans to sneak over into your neighbors and kill one with the longe range rifle yet?

07-Dec-18

07-Dec-18
You're that idiot that sent his buddy out to hunt my fenceline without orange

07-Dec-18
Nope. Sticks and Stones.............

07-Dec-18

Here he is, last day of rifle with no orange hunting my fence and acting like an idiot.

08-Dec-18
No worries, I appreciate the permission and I’ll be out there the next two days. Let me see him and I’ll see to it that it’s handled. You know what I do for a living.

08-Dec-18

21-Dec-18

This evening we found a covey I encountered while trying a stalk on that big one during bow season. Only ten birds so I only shot one.

21-Dec-18

Beautiful Flint Hills Moon rise. I'm looking forward to some future coyote hunts out here

22-Dec-18
When are you going to kill a buck in KS with your bow? no one cares about the covey of quail you found.

22-Dec-18
When are you going to stop being a queer? Better yet, when will you actually make a meaningful contribution to this site or show us your face? I suspect neither will happen.

22-Dec-18
Well, this is going nicely, isn’t it?

25-Dec-18

Happy Christmas!

25-Dec-18

25-Dec-18

26-Dec-18
Beautiful pic Jason! I took a short walk about with the lab yesterday and got into a huge covey of ~30 birds. Only shot one, I’ll visit them later.

26-Dec-18
Thank you! I do the same. I probably won't shoot more than two more birds off my place this year. I like to let coveys stay a decent size in case we have an ice storm or really cold weather.

28-Dec-18

Took the longbow stalking. The only doe I had in range had twins so she got a pass. The arrow is pointing at her

28-Dec-18

Hunted traffic violators this evening

21-Jan-19
Thornton,

I love your semi-live hunts every year on the BOWSITE. They are so predictable as they always end up ending with a rifle killed buck, a couple quail, an OK buck or a picture of a car pulled over with you cuckold in the passenger seat of a "presumed" cop car. You have to be the coolest rifle hunter on this site.

My question still stands......when are you going to kill a deer in KS with your BOW instead of degrading every non-resident that comes to KS and enjoys their deer hunt? You are pathetic.

21-Jan-19
You’re a dick to Chad so get off of Jason’s. You talk a lot of BS. Still haven’t seen any bowkills from you. I know I know you only shoot bucks bigger then 170.

22-Jan-19

Happy hunting if you're able Quinn

• Sitka Gear