Sheldon 13-Nov-18
Grub 13-Nov-18
MF 16-Nov-18
Inmyelement 16-Nov-18
MF 16-Nov-18
Inmyelement 16-Nov-18
South Farm 16-Nov-18
09-Nov-18
The older I get the less I want to climb. I still have my favorite stands but find myself hunting from the ground more and more. The perspective is very different and in the right spot I can see so much more activity. I took a nice 8ptr a couple years ago while sitting in the middle of some blowdowns and got hooked. The problem is I've been busted a few times by bucks seeing me move (I have a bad back) and sometimes deer will come in at the same time from different directions. My pop ups are for turkey hunting and gun deer hunting and not very conducive to bowhunting. I still shoot my 2002 Mathews Legacy and plan to stay with the compound for as long as I can. What are some good bowhunting popups?

09-Nov-18

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo

Drop Tine's Link
I have hunted 3 seasons now out of my Double Bull Blinds. They are the best and worth the money.

No Velcro or zippers. Don’t flap in the wind and can withstand a decent snow load. But I take those extendable paint roller poles and put them under the center hub for extra support when I’m not hunting.

09-Nov-18
Brush them in. Leave them there long before season starts, so they get used to them. Get a good, solid, quiet, comfortable chair. In my personal observations, I've learned that deer avoid them. I just bought some 2x4 wire fencing at 72 inch height. I have made many duck blinds in my day, using 2x2 wood framed blinds, with that fencing stapled to a decent frame. They are unbelievably invisible once you weave natural grasses through the wire fencing. It is something I'm going to create this winter. I collected a lot of wild grasses, and natural vegetation and I'm going to make two blinds that I can leave in a couple spots, that will work both as a turkey, and deer blind. I was thinking a frame that is 6x6 feet square, and 8 foot tall, offering an open slot that is where I can shoot my bow through that slot, at the optimum height in my chair. I figured each blind will cost roughly 60 bucks, but will blow away any of my pop ups that I have. Again, I've made them for duck hunting and they work phenomenal. I will only need to apply them to deer, and their equally keen eyes. I'm hoping to post a few pictures this winter as I complete them. The only thing to do, is get these framed pieces to the perfect destination, and assemble them on site. I've carried a 12 ft (length) x 6ft (wide) x7 ft (tall) duck blind including roof to my duck hunting spots in one haul in a 16 foot jon boat. 8 pieces. I assemble them using wing nuts and pre-drilled screw holes. The assembly takes a few minutes, and pretty lightweight. I figure a smaller deer blind could be hauled on a game cart with a bit of pre-planning and some work. I'm actually pretty excited, because there is a certain comfort and warmth to hunting from the ground. Long winded I know, but making these woven forts is extremely rewarding, hard work indeed, but awesome knowing you created something that fooled the wary eyes of your intended game.

With all that said, I have created some excellent on the fly makeshift "nests" from natural dead fall that are pretty perfect. Killed quite a few deer and turkey from the ground, in a tall comfortable chair, due to a back and right leg that has nagging sciatica.

Good luck!

09-Nov-18
I've never used a pop up but I agree with the OP on getting away from climbing with age (66).

I've not checked into any yet, but...I shoot a longbow...do any have that kind of space? I have taken a few from the ground, which is a blast, but using natural conditions in so doing. An old friend has taken to hunting pop ups and raves about being out of the wind and staying dry.

09-Nov-18
Good stuff DT and PP. Interesting concept Pete. I'd like to see pics when your finished building. I guess there is no reason it needs to be a pop-up and I have several spots so maybe one or more could be the assembled version. I also like the idea of customizing to my fit (and no velcro or zippers like DT mentioned). thanks

10-Nov-18
I am also finding myself hunting from the ground more and more. I have 4 primos Double Bull blinds set up for this ML and late archery season, I would recommend the 180 "for better scent concealment". I also installed center poles so the snow doesn't collapse the blind. Also for the ML season I bought a roll of snow fencing and garden burlap, I made 3 circler blinds out of that fence, using lots of zip ties I wrapped the burlap around the outside and then brushed it in, they look awesome. After the season they can be rolled up and are easy to remove or move to a different spot. I mentioned this before in another thread, if your concerned about leaving your good blind out a month or so before the season or when you plan to hunt, so deer get used to one of your blind set ups use a cheaper blind early ( $50 at Menards) in the season, then replace it with your good one when you hunt.

10-Nov-18
I bought a popup this season. It is ok for sitting in on windy and cold days but the deer sure know it is there. Wish I would have done a better job brushing it in. These aren't the best for archery.

10-Nov-18
I have pinned the 3D Die Cut type material to my blinds & also bought some of the Army material that is used to park under. That is much heavier & I just drape it over the blind & cut holes where my windows are. I do have issues with my low light vision & it is even worse in a blind. There are a couple Companies that make decent blinds now with reinforced material on the corners but the Double Bulls are still my favorite. I have had poor luck with the Wisconsin made Baronett (sp)? but they make a higher one that might work for the Trad bows. Not sure if the windows would be the right height. You would think someone would jump on making a Trad blind as it is very popular.

10-Nov-18
I checked several months back and ASAT still makes theirs. It's the traditional cotton/poly material like the older Double Bulls. I also like their window system and you can pretty much make it 360 degrees shooting and visibility.

10-Nov-18
All good stuff, thanks guys! You have inspired me to be a little more creative. I spent all but an hour and a half of daylight on 2 different stands today. It was a cold one this morning with 13mph wind in my face. I made it until 10:15 when the warm truck called me. Saw 8-10 deer on each sit but no horns except a spike fawn. Lots of orphans by us.

11-Nov-18

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
Primos Blind "Surround View"

11-Nov-18

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
The home made one using wooden snow fencing.

11-Nov-18
I have a 12yr old Ameristep Brickhouse. Don't use it much but it is nice when the rain falls or the temps are low. Before a wind storm broke 1 of the poles last year I had trail cam pics of deer the day after I set it up. Brushing it in makes a world of difference.

12-Nov-18
Rallison-

There are blinds made by BigMike that have the roof height to shoot a longbow out of, I have one with a center height of around 6' 7". I love being able to stand up straight in the blind.

I don't brush my blinds in, I just set them near the edge of the woods and deer don't seem very bothered by them. I put one out a few days before the youth hunt this year, went to check on it the next evening and had 3 deer within 30 yards of it. A couple of years ago I put a blind out in the middle of a snow covered picked corn field after dark, sat in it the next morning and had a 140+" buck walk by at 50 yards...caught me completely off guard and I blew the shot when he was about 90 yards away.

12-Nov-18
Fivers, I have to check those out. If I sit on the ground I generally make one from surrounding or if I'm lucky I find a blowdown where I want to sit. Honestly though, I've been busted about every time on the ground when they are close -10 yards.

12-Nov-18
I have a couple but honestly I would much rather be outside in a stand or climber. Only benefit is to be able to put a heater in them when its really cold. I just like being outside and a decent view. I feel to confined in them. jmo.

12-Nov-18
This year I hunted more out of some permanent ground blinds. I could have shot some deer also. I did have issues with deer getting by me. Two times I had bucks chasing by me and didn’t see them. I was looking right and they went left. I have issues inside telling the directions the deer are coming. Last Friday afternoon my dad said a shooter came behind me in the ditch chasing does. I heard the buck grunting and deer running. I never saw them. Anyone else have this and any tips. I don’t like many windows open but I’m missing deer go by so maybe I need to open up more windows but that concerns me

12-Nov-18
I have had the same problem Doug. Too many windows open and deer can see in to easy. I guess for gun hunting they would work for me but not for bow. I guess if it is a permenent blind some brushing in would help that out.

12-Nov-18

JD's Link
BARRONETT BIG MIKE 2.0 BACKWOODS

12-Nov-18
I hunt a ground blind in my back yard. Put it up over a month ago. It's sandwiched between a giant oak, pine bushes, and an apple tree. I did not brush it in. Deer don't care.

I have trail cam pics of multiple bucks within 20 yards of this blind. Tracks in the snow right past it. Seen two bucks this weekend 25 yards in front of me, both chasing does, so unfortunately no shot opportunity. Had five different does all within 25 yards as well. Could have shot any of the five. I wear a black stocking cap/facemask in the blind to blend with the inside of the blind. I use the minimum openings as possible.

All of that said...I prefer being in a tree at the other spots I hunt.

For those worried about being elevated as we get older...I'd recommend a 2-man ladder stand. Easy to get in & out, and larger platform/chair. My Dad hunted from one of these well into his 70's...and he had double knee replacement at 57.

12-Nov-18
Any recommendations for a blind that folds up into a small, lightweight package? Have a buddy from Africa coming to visit and he is interested in purchasing and taking back a few with him.

13-Nov-18

lame crowndip's Link
Has anyone made/built a case for their blinds? I used some plastic pipe that is used for HVAC venting and it works really well (I used the 10 inch size).. Cut a section to a length you like and make some wooden (or other) plugs for both ends. One plug gets fastened into the pipe (I used screws) and the other gets a handle to help inserting and removing the plug. This has kept mice and other vermin from the blinds and I think has helped control the scent thing. Just a thought. Please do not ask for pictures as I won't be home until March-fishing in the Gulf. I'm not real sure where the link thingy came from....there's no link.

13-Nov-18
I had a barronet blind for a couple of years. It worked well for Turkey, but I put it out early last fall for deer and the wind destroyed it. I won’t buy another cheap pop up.

My kids are small but will hopefully be tagging along with Dad soon hunting. I’m considering buying another pop-up, maybe the primos surround view. I’m so used to hunting from a stand and having a good view, but with cold windy days would be nice to tuck in to a blind also.

13-Nov-18
We have used commercial blinds in my gun crew with mixed results. Some of struggle with the limited views and difficulty hearing deer, plus deer really focus on them if they ware not well brushed in. Others have no trouble and have deer totally ignore them. Go figure?

13-Nov-18
I have 2 barronett 350 grounders. I'm real happy with them. I'm a pretty big guy so I can't stand up in them I only open 2 sides and sit the blind like a diamond in the direction I want. Let's me hide in back a little more and gives more room to draw the bow. Biggest problem for me is finding a good swivel chair.

16-Nov-18

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
Just thought I would share. Once again I am finding myself setting up more ground blinds this year than ever before. Once things started to freeze up the inside of the blind it was extremely noisy, I placed a thin wool blanket (ones you can buy at fleet farm (military) but it stunk so bad I took it out. I came up with a great solution for the inside of ground blinds that will be left out in the field for weeks at a time, it is silent and natural which makes a awesome cover scent. I picked up a bail of Pine Shavings for bedding and spread it in the inside of my blinds. Anyone else have any secrets to share on ground blinds?

16-Nov-18
Bought one earlier this week to put behind the house. Boy, does it ever have a strong smell.

16-Nov-18
That scent will dissipate soon to a certain point...deer will get used to it.

16-Nov-18
I expected it to have some odor but was surprised how strong it was. I set it up in the living room so the kids could "hunt" out of it with their nerf guns. Had to take it outside after a few minutes to start airing it out. It is in a field 100 yards off the wood line so I'm not too worried, there is no way I would have out it in the woods this soon after purchase. The kids are excited just to go out with dad, so it's already served its purpose.

16-Nov-18
Sat in a blind on an outfitted Ontario hunt once. NEVER AGAIN!!! I couldn't stand it. Everything that fell on the roof made it sound like you were sitting inside a drum, and the blind spots drove me nuts...your mind plays tricks on you and makes you imagine there's a deer behind you, but of course you can't see it and if you open the noisy window it'll just run away anyway...and if you leave all the windows open what's the point, may as well just sit on a stool in natural cover. Count me out..

• Sitka Gear