Will 10-Nov-18
arch2112 10-Nov-18
Public land hunter 10-Nov-18
BruceP 10-Nov-18
Mako73 10-Nov-18
Mako73 10-Nov-18
Will 10-Nov-18
10-Nov-18
How can something be so frustrating but yet so addicting. I've been getting teased by this enormous 8pt now for 3 years. He's always just out of range or not a clean shot. Last year had him stopped at 20 yards but wasnt sure it was going to be a clean shot (twigs) and I was right so I let him walk. He just walked by at 30 not giving me a shot. Needless to say I wont need coffee or food to keep me in this tree today.

10-Nov-18
I have a buck I passed on for the first two years. The next two I tried to take him. Blew an easy shot last year (tree limb in the way) and he survived despite the pressure from other hunters. He’s grown into an impressive 9. Haven’t seen him yet during this bow season but I’m holding out for him. Already got a younger buck this season so I’ll wait. It would have to be something bigger to make me use my last buck tag.

Keep on him.

10-Nov-18
Mako, first of all thanks for not taking the less than ideal shot. I wish more people had that discipline. If you keep seeing him and getting him almost lined up it's only a matter of time before he teases you for the last time. Look forward to seeing the picture.

10-Nov-18
Thank you arch good luck to you also. Unfortunately I'm not passing him on purpose, I'm not that good or experienced enough for that. Just everytime I see him in range I'm not 100 percent certain its going to be a clean shot. I'd rather eat tag soup then make a poor shot and have him suffer and be coyote food. He's survived this long he is at least 4 years old to do that to him. I hope your guy shows up on your next sit for you

10-Nov-18
Ditto Bruce - eventually that restraint will be rewarded. It's really cool when you have a buck you "know" and he's making you dizzy for a few years. Exciting stuff! Enjoy the chase Mako.

10-Nov-18
Oh I've tried to kill this buck many times but he has only once given me a good shot and of course he came in behind me when he did. As I said I blew it and he survived to drive me crazy. Two weeks later (Nov 14th 2017) he got within 30 yards but there wasn't a clear shot. I watched him walk away. I've been waiting ever since. I got him on camera in May of this year. I don't know if someone else got him or he's moved onto a different place but I keep thinking about him. It's definitely on obsession. My girlfriend is jealous haha. My kids say if given the chance I should pass as he is my "friend". Only bow hunters understand.

10-Nov-18
Are you stopping him with a grunt in shooting lanes? Do you need better/more shooting lanes cleared out? Should you be higher/lower in your stand to maximize shot opportunities?

10-Nov-18
Mako, if he's in range and maybe a clean shot but maybe not then I would say that you are passing him on purpose. And you should be. What that says to me is that your hunting ethics are more important than this deer. That's the way it should be.

10-Nov-18
I have a bunch of shooting lanes opened up, I should probably be a little higher but I like the visibility I have at my height. Everytime ive stopped him or he stopped himself it just never seems right which haunts me but not as much as wounding or losing him would id imagine. Yes I have great respect for wildlife especially these damn deer haha that respect grows every year when I think out smarted them and they laugh at me. I know not every shots going to be perfect but I'm willing to wait till I'm confident that I'm taking the best shot I possibly can. Hopefully that happens soon cuz I see this buck in my dreams haha. But he didnt get to be at least 4 years old by being dumb one of his beds is 100 yards off a very busy road and 150 yard from a house.

10-Nov-18
Haha and to make things worse just checked cards on his route to me this morning he walked within 20yards of two of my other stands. I thought he didnt make it this year I haven't seen evidence of him around until today. I wish he would have made an appearance early I would have been in one of those stands. He usually bounces between two swamps for his beds, the one behind the house is small and its just him the other one is huge and does bedding close to the stand I was in today thats why I chose that one.

10-Nov-18
I"m with Bruce, loving your choices. It's hard. AWESOME hunting to me, Mako. Sounds super fun. I can understand being a little frustrated too, but overall, awesome!

• Sitka Gear