Grunter 13-Nov-18
Crusader dad 14-Nov-18
Crusader dad 14-Nov-18
Tweed 14-Nov-18
MrBones 14-Nov-18
albino 15-Nov-18
Chris S 18-Nov-18
12-Nov-18
My father in law and his brother own roughly 1000 acres of farmland in central wi. Five years ago I painted all the barns and the main farmhouse. Total bill, $11,500. I reduced the bill to $5,500 and lifetime control of hunting rights. I’ve personally hung over 15 stands that I bought myself. I built a badass tree fort that can be heated for the kids. I personally scouted and mapped the entire property.

I made this deal so that myself and my brothers in law would have a place for ourselves and our kids. I’ve never asked my bros to help or purchase anything. They’ve never contributed but have hunted out there from time to time. They don’t utilize it like I hoped they would. Their favorite thing to do is sit in trucks in the cut fields, get drunk and shoot at anything that might run through the open, then they do deer drives in the standing corn which I’ve said time and time again is not allowed. I want that corn to be sanctuaries. Every year they complain about trespassing, lack of deer sightings and blah blah blah.

This year I made a deal with someone that gives up all rights to hunting for four years. It’s that guys hunting land now. Along with full permission to use and even relocate any of my stands however he sees fit. I’m perfectly fine with my deal and happy to be forced to actually learn how to hunt public land.

My bro in-laws are pissed. They feel like I screwed them. They feel like I should have talked to them before I made the deal. They feel like I shouldn’t have the right to make the trade I did. They know about the deal I made years ago and I think they always assumed I was just bullshiting them. Now they have to have their annual drunken gun hunt on public land where they can’t get away with sitting in trucks while the gun is outside and I think that’s what makes them the most mad.

Should I have talked to them beforehand? Should the fact that they are family supersede the work I put in and the deals I made? Am I just a selfish asshole?

12-Nov-18
I don't think you are a selfish a-hole but it might have been nice to have explained everything before you actually did it. Then, since you have control, go ahead and do what you need to do as you see fit. if they do not like the situation they should have amended their ways before hand and gotten involved in a positive manner sometime ago. Kinda sounds to me as if they needed a good wake up & needed to learn a lesson. Perhaps in the end (after four years) this will become a positive learning experience. Hope so for the sake of all.

12-Nov-18
No I think you did the right thing except if it were me the gamewarden would have gotten an anynomus tip about the drunken hunting business (easy for me to say because I wasn't there) in either case I would say no your not an asshole some people just don't appreciate the hard work of others

12-Nov-18
I guess it comes down to what is in writing. Did the land owner think that family would still be able to hunt even though you had full control? Lifetime access to 1000 acres for $6000 is a hell of a deal. Hope you didn't burn any bridges. Even more so, I hope you have it in writing.

12-Nov-18
Maybe not an asshole but I would have given the relatives a heads up. Even though you had the right to do it and they were being assholes for not helping and their behaviors, they are still family. Creating that kind of rift can shatter family relationships beyond repair.

12-Nov-18
No, you're not an asshole, but it just goes to show that people who are serious about their hunting need to make the sacrifice required to buy their own land. Problem solved.

12-Nov-18
How can you give the rights to hunt the land to someone else if it isn't your land?

12-Nov-18
Due to another recent, contentious interaction with my father and siblings, I may be a little less sympathetic to the plight of your BILs.

Seems to me that you put in the time, effort and materials to acquire those hunting rights. Doesn't sound like they put any skin into the game or contributed in any way. And you gave them the gift of access with a few simple rules or requests for courtesy.

Then, they repeatedly disregarded your rules or wishes as far as hunting goes.

And they hunted illegally from their trucks while drinking... putting who at risk?

I don't think that you're the azzhole.

I think that the guys with no respect, who contributed nothing, were given access and then ran roughshod across the property while drinking and hunting illegally need to do a little introspection... family or not.

Unfortunately, some family members don't seem to ascribe to the theory that family is supposed to treat each other better than they do strangers. I would never blow off the wishes of someone who gave me access. I'd find a way to make a positive impact. And if it was family, I'd find some way of making a greater contribution.

12-Nov-18
Dick move

12-Nov-18
All of this is moot if your original agreement with the inlaws is not in writing giving you the power to sub lease. If so and all this was understood amongst all involved parties. What you did was inconsiderate, but far from a-holish.

If none of it is in writing, it doesn't really matter as you don't own the land and aren't really leasing it. I'm not being a dick here. I have found out similar things the hard way in years past. Some of the best hunting advice I ever got was. If you don't own the land you are now hunting on. Chances are you will someday lose it.

12-Nov-18
Whether you are a jerk or not, did you not think ahead as to how they would react? Seems predictable. I doubt the in laws are going to forget about this anytime soon.

12-Nov-18
Whether or not you're an "a-hole" isn't the question. A different way to look at it is when the day comes that you're laying on your deathbed will having forsaken your brothers (and their unscrupulous hunting methods) over a stupid deer and hunting land have been worth it? Only YOU can answer that. I know that in my case, with two younger brothers who routinely piss me off, every time I've ever let something come between me and them I've regretted it down the road...those are the boys that would have my back in a bar fight, and chances are they'll be the ones to carry me out. Never seen a deer carry a coffin yet..

12-Nov-18
You would pay $6000 for only 1 year for 1000 acres anywhere else in Wisconsin. Your "lifetime rights" was a charitable act from a family member. That right extends to YOU....not to your buddy. It`s not your property and as a in-law you have even less say. As many can tell you, can change in an instant. Bringing up what your brother in-laws do on THEIR family property is immaterial. Sorry but you screwed up and are craphouse lucky you and your buddy both don`t get the boot. Because if it was my family`s farm you would!!!

12-Nov-18
You're friends you can choose. You're family you're stuck with. And, that's how they probably feel about you now too. What would the harm have been to talk with them about this ? Whatever deal they have with you is one thing. But, it's still their land.

12-Nov-18
Geez Crusader not your land and you made a deal? Ouch that's not good. Yeah I'd be furious as well. If I was your in-laws I would tell the guy to get the hell off my land as you had no right to make a deal. It's not your land. You will be lucky to get your rights back to hunt it. Yes I would be super pissed

12-Nov-18
If there wasn’t a written agreement signed by you and the land owners that gave you the authority to sublease, you crossed a boundary you shouldn’t have. A mistake was made from the start by both you and your in-laws if nothing was in writing. Messes are inevitable if things are assumed and not communicated and details layed out.

Rut- that’s a good quote, probably a lot of truth to it too.

12-Nov-18
All I know is if I had 1000 acres to hunt I would definetly put some sweat equity into it. I don't know the situation with the inlaws so I wont comment on the azz part.

12-Nov-18
It just shows the importance of getting everything in writing. Their also always has to be rules so everyone understands. If your not the landowner, sooner or later you get the boot.

12-Nov-18
Ok, great responses so far. The lifetime hunting control IS in writing. (Even though it’s in writing if my mother or father in law said it was done there’s really nothing I could or would do about it.) I did that so my bro in laws would have private land to hunt with their kids. They rarely use the land except for gun season and that’s when they drunk hunt. Along with their buddies. They’re family so I’m not going to call the warden.

I spoke with my mother and father in law and explained the deal I wanted to make for the next four years. They both were ok with it. Said it was fine and I should go ahead and finalize the trade. The land is in the name of my father in laws brother. He’s the one I made the lifetime deal with. I spoke with him and he said he was fine with that and that I should go ahead and make the trade. All responsible parties were informed and approved before I finalized the trade.

That side of my family is unique in that I tend to be the peacemaker. I tend to be the one they all turn to for mediating disagreements between each other. We are not the kind of family that this situation will wreck relationships. We may get pissed at one another from time to time but we’re a strong family and this will blow over by Christmas. I’m not concerned about long term anger over this.

I have every right to do what I did and I had the proper permission ahead of time. If they actually used the land on a regular basis I never would have traded my rights to it. They complain and disregard the few small requests I asked of them. They are my brothers and I love them but they can be selfish pricks sometimes. Hopefully they will realize what they are missing and appreciate it more when they get it back.

Honestly I think the drunk hunting is the biggest reason they’re mad. Of course they won’t admit that but that’s what makes sense to me.

12-Nov-18
I would have traded with you. lol That is a tough one. One thing about having idiots hunting there is they probably didn't hurt the deer herd but are an accident waiting to happen. If they did it more than one year I would have turned them in. Even family is not above the law.

12-Nov-18
What was the trade for? I might have missed that part.

And just to clarify these are all BIL and not your brothers, right?

It sounds like it is bad luck, but without owning the land it's just a tough break I guess. Right or wrong if in the BIL shoes I'd probably be upset that my dad and uncle gave my sister's husband the run of the land. As you said you have some good opportunities to learn about some public land in the area now -- best of luck!

12-Nov-18
Bil#1 is my wife’s little brother. Bil#2 is my wife’s little sisters husband. Father in law is a third marriage for my wife’s mom and no relation to any of us. We were already adults when she married him. Bil#2 came into the picture the same year I made the lifetime agreement. I’ve been a part if mom in laws family since I met my wife as a teenager. (Over 20 years). Father in law has no children of his own.

The trade was for 1,100 sq ft of reclaimed barnwood flooring retail price of 10k. I actually met the guy here on Bowsite. If the flooring retails for 10k that means he’s paying $2,500 to lease 1k acres per year. What the wood actually cost him is none of my business and he has delivered on his end of the deal. I too am delivering on my end of the deal by taking permission away from both bros in law and staying off the land myself. In my opinion it is a fair deal for both of us. He has a signed permission slip for the next four years. The land is essentially his for that time.

The drunk hunting is done now because even though both bros are idiots they’re not dumb enough to do that on public land. I will never turn them in for it even if they choose to do it again when the land is returned to my control. I think it’s stupid but not necessarily a huge deal on private land in my opinion.

Since the original deal I have put a new steel roof on the farmhouse free labor. I have helped clear tree lines with the dozer and cut many many truckloads of firewood. I’ve also remodeled the in-laws kitchen all free labor and everytime just made sure they know how much I love that land and appreciate having it. I’ve continued to earn my lifetime permission through hard work whenever needed. The bros have done absolutely nothing out there. It is what it is and both the deal and my trade are set in stone.

In hindsight, yes I’m an asshole for not warning the bros ahead of time and no I’m not an asshole because it is my control to trade or give away as I see fit.

12-Nov-18
Oh! I thought you were talking about your brothers...I missed the part where they were your BIL's. In that case screw 'em! LMAO!

12-Nov-18
And with it being private land, if there were to be an accident with them hunting drunk, it'd most likely be a family member that gets shot.

I think that's a problem.

12-Nov-18
No matter what, if someone thinks it was a dick move, it was a dick move. The fact that it is family, only escalates the situation. It is nothing I would have done, but it is not my scenario, nor my problem.

12-Nov-18
Drinking while hunting is definitely a problem especially while handling a loaded gun. No way would that fly with our hunting party. We have a few no doubt, AFTER the hunt and in our cabin.

12-Nov-18
Not that i am a lawyer but you get the wood then your mother in law or the actual land owner calls your deal off, expect the new leasee to be as unhappy as the BILs. Check back in 4vyears to let us mo how well this worked out. Sooner if it does not.

12-Nov-18
Cant get past the drinking and hunting part. I wouldn't show an ounce of respect to anyone that boozes it while hunting. You mentioned it being a place to take the kids hunting. Family or not, shit would hit the fan in a heart beat. If they lose their place to hunt over this, I would consider that a good thing. You might just be saving someone from getting hurt or killed....

12-Nov-18
Glunker, my father in law is a man of his word and will not go back on the deal. The guy is for sure good to go for the next four years. My mother in law (although crazy) is also a woman of conviction and would never think of cutting that deal. When I said that about if they cut my deal it was a hypothetical and will never actually happen. The hunting rights to that land will be under my control until it’s sold. Part of how I am so confident about that is because my father in law wants someone he fully trusts to be in charge of these things and as much as I can also be an idiot he knows I’m trustworthy and I honor what I say even if it makes someone else unhappy. So I get to be the bad guy instead of him. That gets him what he wants and keeps his wife off his back. He doesn’t like my bro in laws out there and hates that they drink and hunt. He’s very happy with this deal.

I originally made the deal so this could be private family hunting land. My bro in laws have taken one kid out there one time. They never bow hunt out there. They use it as a party place during gun season and no kids are allowed. They pull a camper into a cut bean field and basically only “hunt” a couple hours opening day. They hunt again for an hour or so on opening morning and then do deer drives through the cornfields. The deer are really in no danger but they push them all off the land.

I use the land for bowhunting. I don’t go up there for gun season anymore. They just started doing the drunk hunting after I stopped going up there and I only found out about it because my father in law told me. When I asked them about it they admitted that that’s what they do. How they live their lives and the choices they make are not my problem. They ask me to come and join them every year but I’m not interested in that kind of deer camp and now that I am sober I don’t want to be part of that anyway. I actually like a drinking boisterous deer camp atmosphere but not how they do it. I think the drinking should wait till after hunting is over.

Believe me, my father in law is very happy with this deal and very happy he doesn’t have to be the bad guy and kick them off himself. He’s very straight laced but doesn’t stand up to his wife. So I’ll be the asshole and he gets exactly what he wants.

The bros will get over it and hopefully be a little more mature by the time they are allowed back.

12-Nov-18
Yup, plenty of other times and places to drink. Not safe, not a good example and not legal.

12-Nov-18
Good, sounds like you are covered. Hope in 4 years you get it back as huntable as before.

12-Nov-18
The problem isn't the drinking. Not that it's ok, but the issue is, it's their land, not yours. You knew they were (are) drunks. You should of figured this could of happened. Now it did...too late.

12-Nov-18
Yes you are an Asshole.

12-Nov-18
"Not that it's ok, but the issue is, it's their land, not yours." I'm guessing you did not read all his posts?

12-Nov-18
I think it is a jerk move to utilize a benefit from a family member (in law) to your advantage. I.E. they gave you a sweat hart of a deal for 6k discount for lifetime hunting rights and you went and bartered that. That is a d-bag move imo even if you did clear it first with all the parties. As for the BIL's, not so much since it sounds like they are d-bags anyway. But, I think it is slimy to make that deal regardless if the BILs were not in the picture.

12-Nov-18
I feel your frustration, but the issue I see is with the public sharing of family business. While it makes for a great read, IMHO...Family business is like Team business (Locker Room), and what happens in the family room or locker room should stay there. Wish you all the best.

13-Nov-18
Who got this incredibly overpriced reclaimed wood flooring....and where is is installed. Your house or the parents home?

13-Nov-18
The average price for reclaimed flooring is $8.18-10.43 sq ft. Just found out via google search. 10k seems right on par with that. Regardless of what it’s worth a fair deal is one that makes both parties happy and that’s the case here. The flooring is going in my house this spring. The same can be said about the hunting control deal I made to begin with. The farmer was happy with the deal and I’ve continued and will continue to provide free labor. Again, I continually earn the rights of hunting control.

Zonks, I feel like this is the kind of family business that is acceptable to share here. I’m not sharing family secrets and was looking for outside opinions on this particular subject. Who better to ask than the hunting community that I respect?

I do think it was a bit of a self serving dick move. Not enough that I wouldn’t make the same deal again. I would warn them ahead of time though. If the rest of my family used the land and enjoyed the land as I intended I would not have made this deal. I have been increasingly frustrated with all the complaining my bils do about the land and their lack of work out there. Not even just on the hunting land but more so work for my in-laws. They’re not young and could use some strong arms once in a while. The bros absolutely refuse to help in any way. Not even unloading firewood. I do some kind of work for them or my dad in-laws brother everytime I go up there. I guess subconsciously the reason I didn’t warn the bros ahead of time was to possibly teach them a lesson and punish them for their lack of appreciation and sense of entitlement.

It’s not like they can’t gun hunt. They have 3,500 acres of public surrounding their homes. Plus multiple thousands of acres within a short drive. Again, I think the only reason they’re upset is that they can’t have their annual gun hunt. I’m ok with them being mad about that. In the end, we are a strong family and this will simply be a blip on the radar within a month or so.

Thank you all for your honest opinions. I will take the negative feedback and use it to try and improve personally. I will sit down and talk to the bros letting them know exactly how I feel and why I did what I did. I don’t think I owe them any explanation or fair warning since they have no skin in the game but it would have been the right thing to do. Being willing to accept negative comments and trying to be open minded while not getting defensive is what helps us grow and I appreciate that.

Btw, the flooring is beautiful and going to look amazing when finished.

13-Nov-18
Hunting is not worth this much turmoil.

13-Nov-18
Sounds like something for Judge Judy or Jerry Springer....

13-Nov-18
Judge Mattis would be better. Judy gets on my nerves.

13-Nov-18
So you painted your in laws houses and barns and charged them $5 grand....said the value of the job was $11 grand.....used the supposed discount of $6000 to get $10,000 worth of flooring to put in YOUR home by giving land right to property you don`t own....meanwhile going around your wife`s brothers. Meanwhile using this "drunk hunting" to convince yourself and others you did the right thing

Sorry to say Crusader you appear to be one shifty dude that has lost a lot of credibility with this crazy post. I wouldn`t trust you as far as I could throw you.

13-Nov-18
Yes.

13-Nov-18
Sounds like a bunch of deals that everyone was happy with and felt like winners except foe the bil' who didn't have much of a stake. Not really shiftiness. Maybe better and more open communication.

13-Nov-18
First off you said you never asked your bros for anything... maybe that's the problem, next time tell them what you expect. But secondly that sounds like a really cheap lease. Like way to cheap unless deer numbers are poor. I've never leased hunting land but I always thought it was more like 10to 30 bucks an acre per year depending on ratio of ag to woods and general area rates of course

13-Nov-18
Don't know why everyone is concerned with the "price" of the "lease".

His father in law said he could have the hunting rights to it, doesn't matter if it cost him $6 or $6,000,000.

Is the family landowner upset about this? Doesn't seem so. Just seems other family members are. Families usually suck at communicating

13-Nov-18
Spot on Franklin. Trying to justify the deal after it has been done only tells me that he knows it wasn't right. If drunk hunting is the issue...call the law...issue resolved. Working a deal to benefit YOU and YOU alone is wrong when other family is involved. I too have had issues with family regarding our property, at the end of the day it is just a deer. Just like released arrow, a pulled trigger, or a stone cast a decision made that sold your BIL's out cannot be undone. Your choice benefited ONE person. The ONE that looks back at you in the mirror. Coming on line and asking for justification and using excuses of free labor (do we need to be paid to the right thing for our in laws?) and drunken hunting (which could be eliminated with a sit down with the BIL's or call to the law) doesn't justify YOU receiving 10K of flooring and the others out on the street without consultation. Sorry for the rant....If I were a BIL I know what side of the room I would be sitting on at Christmas. Enjoy your flooring.

13-Nov-18
I see nothing wrong at all with the deal(except maybe a heads up to BIL). If both parties are happy and land owner is ok with it, who cares. I personally would'nt call the law on any family member .But if safety of others besides the two knuckleheads are involved then the issue needs to be addressed. There re always some family member or members that are a love/ hate situation no matter what, but still family. Like you said...maybe when the get it back in 4 yrs they will have a better attitude about it.

13-Nov-18
Cd I see your reasons for doing what you did, I find no fault in it. Sounds like you made a decent horse trade. HOWEVER, I do not understand this statement....

"The drunk hunting is done now because even though both bros are idiots they’re not dumb enough to do that on public land. I will never turn them in for it even if they choose to do it again when the land is returned to my control. I think it’s stupid but not necessarily a huge deal on private land in my opinion. "

The last sentence I totally disagree with. I can not understand how ANYONE can allow alcohol and fire arms to mix. Imagine how you would feel if one of those drunkin BIL or one of their buddies shoots someone. I'd be putting my foot down or a foot up their ass if it continued. Best of luck to you...

13-Nov-18
The fact that your asking if it was an asshole move? Proves that it is in fact a asshole move. If I was the land owner or the bil’s. I would have been pretty FN pissed to find out you came out on top of the deal. Sounds like your breaking this life long contract too? Receiving payment on land you don’t pay taxes on.

The other half of me thinks that you have kept up with your bargain and continued on helping out. I would have worked out a deal to keep my BIL’s on the property for their gun season. In the end. If the owner is okay with it and your okay with it. Then our opinions don’t matter.

13-Nov-18
I might not turn my family into the law but I sure as heck would establish my own law, as the one in charge of the property, that does not allow any drinking and firearms.

13-Nov-18
I wouldn't say your an asshole, but this whole situation got ugly quickly. Hindsight is 20/20, but I'd like to say you owed a little more grace to this situation.

Its pretty awesome of you to put in the time, effort, and work to support your extended family and contribute to their projects. For that, the original agreement for hunting rights was great (and certainly balanced in your favor).

With that much acreage, there is no reason two responsible parties can't co-exist during hunting season. However, I fully agree that if your BILs don't contribute either financially or in maintenance of the land, OR are being grossly unsafe, there really should be no expectation of continued usage. If they have a problem with that, their beef should be with the landowner who signed rights to you.

I do not condone their drunk hunting. As family (even extended), I think its courteous to warn them to stop that behavior before involving the law, but if they are unresponsive to that, the moment their behavior becomes a danger to people other than themselves - you gotta do what you gotta do. There is no excuse for that type of dangerous jackassery.

The only thing that I think you "TECHNICALLY" did wrong was to not give them more of a heads up about the sub-letter. If your BILs have had a historic expectation to hunt there, you should be giving them a heads up as soon as the deal is inked. While their drunk hunting behavior is ridiculous, its common courtesy (family or not) to notify people in a timely manner so they can plan ahead. Holding onto that info for a period of time is just jerking them around.

Although you cleared the sub-letter with the appropriate parties, I disagree with your decision to do so. Your original agreement was for hunting rights and access to the land. I think using your equity for material/financial gain goes against the spirit of the original agreement. The landowner gave his permission, but are you certain he is really OK with it? Just seems like he deserves a cut of the deal, or some other consideration. But perhaps he already gets his benefit with how much you help out around the place. Either way, just sounds like some horse-trading I wouldn't want to partake in.

13-Nov-18
If you ask me, the whole thing is a little odd. Your wife's mom is married to a guy and that guy's brother actually owns the land (his name is on it you said).

I'm confused as to why he gave his Brother's SIL (no blood) full run of the property. That is what confuses me the most.

All the more reason in my mind to own land by myself.

13-Nov-18
Maybe for posting that word on a public forum for youngsters to read? Maybe for airing out dirty (family) laundry on a public forum?

I am not one to judge and realize that every story has three versions, minimal. Sounds like a good ol' family mess to me. Good luck with the upcoming holidays!

13-Nov-18
1000 acres is a heck of a lot of land. Perhaps bargaining your rights to half of it while leaving the other half for you and your BILs might have been more prudent. You might have had to pony up a click for the flooring or accepted less but everyone would still have plenty of land to hunt on. I wish you well Shane and hope the peace is kept with the holiday season coming.

13-Nov-18
I can not pass judgement but it sounds like it could cut both ways. The flip side is that we had to basically kick everyone off the family farm as it just got too out of control. Kids had kids and they have buddies etc. It was meant to end the conflicts but now no one really speaks anymore. It's not that hunting kept things together it is that if they were not really fighting about hunting there was really nothing for us to talk about or reason to talk to my 3rd cousins second kid etc. The point being I am not really a fan of the lifetime right to hunt thing because it will always create bad feelings. I don't personally like the situation or their behavior. Still permission in my opinion was a benefit and has value to them, Not to you. Was yours to use, not yours to benefit from

13-Nov-18
If that word offends anyone even a kid these days then they have bigger problems.

If this seems like dirty family laundry than your fam must be damn near perfect because in my fam this is as simple as two bros being pissed at a 3rd. (Me). Definitely not some serious family business that has to remain secret. As I’ve said over and over. We are a strong family and this is really not a huge issue. I posted it because I knew I’d get feedback of all sorts and that feedback helps me grow as a person.

The bros were informed of the deal the moment it was set in stone, not before. I didn’t need their approval or permission to make the deal. I am an asshole because I should have told them about the deal while it was still in the works. Not because I took away something that never belonged to them in the first place. I didn’t tell them earlier because I knew they wouldn’t be happy and didn’t want to have an argument if the deal never came to fruition. Subconsciously I think I also kept it from them because I’m increasingly angry at how they treat the land and the in laws. Talking to them doesn’t work. I’ve tried. I shouldn’t have to ask them to help my in-laws or contribute a deer stand or two.

All responsible parties are happy with the deal. It’s a 110yr farm. My fil and his brother own it but the land is in his brothers name just to keep things easy for tax purposes. Neither brother have kids of their own. Who’s name is on the deed to the land is a moot point because I own the hunting rights. The name on the deed approved of my deal ahead of time.

I also have a really nice boat that the bros come down and use from time to time. I make sure it’s full of gas and freshly cleaned before they take it. They return it empty. The way some of you make it sound is that I should have to get their approval if I ever decide to trade the boat for something that benefits me.

I do not regret the deal itself and have no qualms about making a deal that benefits me. That’s just business. Anytime I make a deal it’s going to benefit me or I won’t make the deal. The actual deed holder will still benefit from my free labor. My father in law will still benefit from my free labor and also no longer have to worry about the drunk hunting. He’s happiest with the deal.

I don’t need to justify the deal itself and I don’t need to feel bad about kicking the bros off for a few years. In my book you have no say unless you earn your keep and they haven’t. They’ve simply benefited from my original deal and my continued hard work. Many of you would describe that as receiving welfare.

In my simple mind the only thing I did wrong was knowingly not warn the bros that a deal was in the works.

13-Nov-18
Well ..... you answered your own question.

13-Nov-18
CD, didn't your MIL flip out a few years ago and threaten to ban all of you from hunting the land? I thought I remember you having a post about that.

13-Nov-18
I registered just so I could say : Yes you are an asshole!

13-Nov-18
After getting more info CD--im glad you got the OK from the land owners. That's good. However I still feel that your bil's should have been told before the deal was made. And I think you think so too. Yes they dont respect the property and dont help. I would be more forceful with them about helping out and putting in your time. That's the reward to hunt there. Possibly made them sign something that if they dont help, THEY WONT BE HUNTING there this year. And every year will dictate if they hunt by putting in the work.

I also feel this guy got the deal of the century. 1000 acres to hunt for 4 years for 10,000. 300 acres for 4 years would have been just fine. Even if you gave him 500 acres. You and your family still has 500 acres. That i dont understand. I hope everything turns out ok for you and the family

14-Nov-18
I greatly appreciate the feedback. I’ve seen the error of my ways. I made the required phone calls and have made amends with the bros. They have forgiven me and all is well again. When my deal is over I will relinquish all authority to the bros and we will make decisions about the land as a team. Until then, we’ve decided to start a traditional gun deer camp at my bro in laws cabin. They made me promise to be a pusher in two deer drives. I’m not happy about it but I deserve the punishment and will suck it up. I’ll be hunting with the bow still. I’ve made them promise not to drunk hunt and I’ll be the designated driver to the bars after the hunt.

The truth is that we are all assholes from time to time. Part of personal growth is being willing to admit it and make a sincere apology when it’s deserved. Sometimes it takes someone else to help us realize when we are being a selfish dick because we can justify many things that are self serving in our own heads. That was my whole point of this exercise. Thank you for participating.

Even though it’s a lot of land and I absolutely love it. I didn’t feel it was worth more than that because of its close proximity to town and highways. An atv trail also runs through it. There are plenty of deer and some really big ones but I felt like the negatives are enough to not warrant a sky high price. I’m sure the floor guy will kill a few deer up there and hopefully a few big bucks. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about the bros killing whatever happens to run past their trucks. If everything works out with the flooring guy he will most likely become one of the group and end up with lifetime permission as well. It makes me feel good to have someone there that appreciates the land the same way I do.

14-Nov-18
And yes, I will continue to provide free labor to the landowners because it’s the right thing to do and I actually enjoy most of the projects they need done.

14-Nov-18
Sounds like a nice seer camp.

14-Nov-18
A lot of people will do whatever it takes to secure hunting land even if it means cutting out family. We want good hunting, big bucks, low pressure, a lot of deer. Every serious hunter wants to control their hunting land, whether that is by leasing, owning, or just signing an agreement. I've leased land knowing families were getting kicked out. Am I an a hole? I look at it as an opportunity of a lifetime. It's just how hunting has evolved through the years.

15-Nov-18
Dad, if you were given total control & the actual owner supports what you do than you should be able to do what you want. You are the one that deserves it & you are the one that earned it. There are always lazy people that want a free ride. You get to be an a hole or anything else you want to be. The drinking part is one of the many reasons I quit gun hunting. There are way too many people that are drunk or hung over so bad that their judgement is impaired. If I find an uncrowded spot that I can get into to bowhunt I do get out there but it sure is uncomfortable. You may not have done things perfectly but you made the BIL's aware of their problem & that there is consequences. Might be better than turning them in if they learn from it. You may have saved someone's life. You can't change it now so let it play out & hope for the best.

18-Nov-18
Sounds shady as hell. You trade 6k labor for hunting rights. Then traded hunting rights for 10k lumber that benefits you alone and screws your family that enjoys the land. Backpedal and make your self sound like a do gooder bc you say they were drunk hunting. That could have been taken care of many times by you and father with a family sit down and telling them if they don’t clean up they are done hunting there. Just for extra justification complain that he doesn’t gas up your boat. Again could have nipped it and said clean the boat and fill it if you want to use it. Total selfish dick move. Only thing that could make it more bs is if u sold the timber and took that cash too. Dickmove all the way around. Enjoy your barn wood

• Sitka Gear