smokey 19-Nov-18
Hoot 19-Nov-18
Hoot 19-Nov-18
albino 20-Nov-18
Hoot 20-Nov-18
albino 20-Nov-18
Hoot 20-Nov-18
12-Nov-18
Gun hunting is a tradition in our family although I lose interest each year. I do enjoy being at our cabin eating chili and having a few cold ones. Luckily I shot my buck with a bow so my gun hunting will be minimal.

12-Nov-18
Yep, I'll be out there. Never miss opening morning, always seem to see plenty of deer and that alone is a thrill, even if I never press the trigger. If you go, good luck to all.

12-Nov-18
Two grand kids will be coming up for the opener. I will be out with my 11 yr old grand daughter. My son will be out with his 15 yr old boy. I haven't gun hunted in many years (except to mentor). My son will be up again for 4 days at thanksgiving so I will probobly go out with him , but carry my bow, if not tagged out by then.

12-Nov-18
Absolutely. Bowhunting is my favorite but I enjoy gun season for different reasons. Social reasons, opportunity to scout activity in areas I am interested in, etc.

I spread my Dad's ashes yesterday at the property where we hunted when I was young. I would give almost anything to have those days in (gun) deer camp with family and friends back. Hands down the happiest days of my life.

12-Nov-18
Yes, not as quiet in the woods as bowhunting but I get to spend more time with the family

12-Nov-18
I enjoy deer camp, more than the hunt. This year I'm looking forward to it a little more as I'll be taking my 6 year olds out with me, 1 at a time. Hoping I can finally get a shot with the patched round ball gun.

12-Nov-18
Yes, for the same reasons as everyone above. My two boys look forward to it every year because they get to see their cousins and maybe get a glimpse and a shot at a deer. I don't hunt as hard as I used to, but enjoy it just as much. I too will be out with the smokepole this year.

12-Nov-18
Yes, bowhunting is first on my list but I am a hunter. The chance to wander the big northwoods with a rifle is something special to me. I used to go on Death Marches as it was referred to in camp, but that has slowed down a bit now. I like to do a little exploring, hunting, and just enjoying the solitude you can get in some of the North country CNF forest areas. Plus, it's been a camp since the 40's and the only time I get to hunt with both boys.

12-Nov-18
Yes, I never miss an opportunity to chase deer no matter the season. If I ain't in the woods I ain't happy!

12-Nov-18
Right on South Farm. Although I enjoy bowhunting much more than gun, it's a tradition I cant miss. I took off all 9 days this year. Haven't shot a buck with the gun in many years, but I'm picky as hell too. Just enjoy seeing deer.

12-Nov-18
Not really but I do buy a tag and wonder around the woods.

12-Nov-18
I gun hunt, but not religiously. I've never hunted hard during gun season and have never shot a good gun buck either. All my better bucks have come bowhunting. It's a tradition now and no longer have a deer camp and everyone has either quit or gone their separate ways.

12-Nov-18
Sat, Sun , & Monday will be mentoring Grandkids & a single moms son . If I hunt it will be in the big timber after most of the cowboys are gone .

Good luck & be safe Lots of ice & snow north of hwy 64 .

12-Nov-18
Yes, opening day of gun season is my favorite day of the year.

12-Nov-18
Yup, I’ll be sitting with the grandson this weekend. I have the week off with the exception of Wednesday. So I’ll be wondering around somewhere.

12-Nov-18
Not really.

Having a trespasser shoot right past me and kill a little buck fifteen yards away soured me on gun hunting. I would rather not have a high powered rifle shot in my direction. Ever.

I love bowhunting, especially solo. Hanging out in orange and celebrating "tradition" sounds like a horrible time.

I am currently in a meat crisis (passed too many bucks) and will try to get out a day during the week to fill the freezer.

12-Nov-18
I bowhunt during gun season. I’m no longer interested in shooting a deer with a gun. Not trying to sound like an elitist. I like the traditions that come with gun season but it’s just not in me to kill one like that.

12-Nov-18
I go out but I do not gun hunt as hard as I once did. All the old-timers are gone (I am now an old timer I guess), family and friends moved or don't hunt anymore so no social aspect left. Now I sit opening morning, maybe all day. After that, I just take some walks scouting country. I do get out and enjoy the muzzleloader season more. Fewer people, deer on the move naturally. Can't wait to get back out bowhunting in the late season though.

12-Nov-18
Yes. Headed up to deer camp in Bayfield County

12-Nov-18
No, I have no traditions or family. I do bow hunt during gun season if I can. Where I lived before it was not a challenge & too many dummies out there. Good luck to all that do & be safe.

12-Nov-18
Yes I do. While it's not the passion bowhunting is, I still enjoy it. I have shot some great bucks with a bow. But I have never shot what I would consider a good buck with a gun. I get a kick out of those that say there's no challenge to gun hunting. If that's what you think, set your goals higher. That or try hunting big woods up north. I'm ok with less people hunting though. Gun season definitely brings out the slob hunters and the one day a year guys.

12-Nov-18
I do have to bring up a good guy up in the CNF that I ran into. I was coming out of a spot that I've hunted a lot through out the years and only one person can hunt it. This guy pulls up and ask's if I am hunting there during gun. I said yes, I was planning on it if no one was there opening morning. He was going to hunt it also, but said he has other spots he wants to hunt and will hunt those first as I told him I would only be there till Tuesday. He said he would hunt it Tuesday on. We agreed and off he went. There are some good hunters out there.

12-Nov-18
Yes this time of the year can be depressing for me with rut and the best time to bow hunt ending but getting together with the group helps. Also our camp seems to grow every year and I really enjoy taking out new hunters and hearing their stories.

12-Nov-18
I have not rifle hunted for years now...I enjoy the Muzzle Loader season and late season archery.

12-Nov-18
No. The drinking traditions (which turned Into adult babysitting) turned me off. When I was a youth hunter I understood my role as camp maid. The continued childish behaviors of my elder camp mates as I matured turned me away.

12-Nov-18
Only missed 2 Wisconsin gun seasons since '66'. Those were the last two years. Just tired of not seeing much I guess, plus the wolfs took their toll on the possibilities. I am going up this year, both are private land, one near Hayward and the other near Minong. Don't really car if I shoot anything, still plenty of meat in the freezer. Took a dozen roasts to the local VFW club yesterday. Was nice to give a little to those who served.

12-Nov-18
Gun season in my family is a bigger tradition than bow season. My preference has always been bow, but since '67, I've never missed a gun opener. I won't miss this one either...Hunt safe !

12-Nov-18
Yes, I gun hunt too. I am the last one in my family currently doing so. My Dad stopped hunting 2 years ago due to health reasons and my son is down south for college/baseball. After he graduates, I'm sure he'll take it up again.

Enjoy the cameraderie, stories, friday fish fry before the opener, and we usually shoot a couple deer. Fortunate to have a generous friend who shares his land for the gun season.

12-Nov-18
Yes, have not missed a gun opener since I was able to hunt, along with a few before that when I was just along to watch my dad.

12-Nov-18
I also have never missed a gun or bow season since I was 12 in 93. I did go along for 2 yrs before that also. The older I get the more wild I am about bowhunting and care less about gun season. I will be making a pot of chili and sighting in the 300 wsm though.

13-Nov-18
I've only missed one year in the last 44 years and regretted it after. Bowhunting is much more of a passion for me but it's a solo gig. Gun hunting allows me to enjoy more time with my adult son while sharing the hunt experiences. I always enjoy any time I can be in the field. Through the years I've run into a few idiots, but probably have met just as many if not more good hunters.

13-Nov-18
I do gun hunt, and will be going up for the first two days, and then back up for Thanksgiving weekend. Like many on here I don't gun hunt very hard, and its more about the camaraderie of deer camp, which like others have also stated is changing because many of the 'old timers' are now gone. We have a rather large and unique camp, and we do have several of the younger generation that do gun hunt, but they aren't as 'involved' in the on-goings of the camp, if that makes any sense. I think our camp is coming up to a crossroads/turning point and I'm interested to see how it pans out. I posted another thread that is somewhat related to this regarding heading to camp to hunt vs hunting around home.

13-Nov-18
Yes - its how I hunted growing up. I've only gotten into bow hunting the last few years, but I like both for different reasons.

Gun hunting has more memories for me, and I love the tradition. Being with family around the week of thanksgiving, shared misery of the cold days, and exchanging jokes around the butchering table. While still possible with a bow, its a bit easier gun hunting without a treestand, so its more conducive to exploring new-to-you public lands (for those of us who don't have the free time to scout as much as we'd like). Just walk until you find a spot you'd like to sit. While skilled individuals certainly have an increased chance of success, its hard to ignore that the element of luck plays a larger role during gun season for bringing one home.

Since I've started bow-hunting, I've come to really enjoy the challenge. Needing to be closer for a successful shot, trying to understand the deer and their natural patterns, heightened awareness of the impact of your presence. It feels like success is more measured by the increases to your knowledge and skill. Getting an arrow on target is a satisfying culmination of all your efforts.

13-Nov-18
Yup. Will sit Saturday for a buck and if I don't connect will take a mature doe at some point during the season.

14-Nov-18
DEFINITELY!! Any excuse to get me out to hunt whitetails!! If there was a season devoted to using a pebble to kill a deer, I'd be out there.

14-Nov-18
Same here like others. I primarily am an archery hunter and have had luck this year. I got three deer here in MN so far but no shots in WI yet. I take my father and father in law and my uncle out near siren to pull the trigger each year. Good luck to all and stay safe

14-Nov-18
Nope, gave up gun deer hunting about 5 years ago. Just doesn't interest me anymore. We lost our lease about 10-12 years ago and tried public land hunting, but the jackazzes that hunted that area were squatters and claimed every inch as theirs. Got confrontational, screw it, don't need the headache.

14-Nov-18
Yes. I enjoy it as it’s always a nice time to enjoy the woods and cabin with family and friends alike while hopefully laying the wood to a few deer.

14-Nov-18
Nope. Gave it up over 15 years ago. Tried bow hunting during gun that didn’t do it for me. I have friends and relatives hunt my land.

15-Nov-18
My dad and I will be out there with our bows. I haven’t purchased a gun license in years. This year I see myself in a heated blind because I’m going to be comfortable. I with glunker as I like seeing deer and whenever I can be out there I am going to be. The neighbors usually push some deer around so it will be interesting to see what comes by.

15-Nov-18
Skook - very nice post. The best week of the year for me. We'll be in Bayfield cnty hunting public land. We have a deer camp that started in the early 50's and should have about a dozen guys this year. Hopefully we get some good sneaking weather at some point. Good luck to all of you

15-Nov-18
For all you gun hunting, good luck, have fun, shoot straight!! I'm heading Nort.

15-Nov-18
Nope. Gun hunted Dunn county for years. Pure carnage one year and I swore I would never hunt like that again.

They were Hammering everything running into a field during a drive and isn't hunting to me. I guess it's somewhat easier shooting them when they are on two or three legs... no thanks. I'll stick and string it next year. Good hunting to you! Try and keep the shots under 200 yards! Lol oh yea... make sure your math is accurate on bullet drop ratios with scopes and remember wind can play a part at long yardage shots. Especially when they are running with everything they got.

15-Nov-18
I'll be out there with my camera. I 've been lucky with the bow last few years. I just don't need more meat. Kids are gone and the wife doesn't eat venison.

15-Nov-18
My son is 24 and kind of a late bloomer when it comes to hunting. The doe he got last year was the first time he shot at an animal. He will be in the stand on a ridge looking for a buck and I will be in my ground blind on a comfortable chair with a thermos of coffee, heater, and a tin of Copenhagen. Hope the deer bother my son and not me....

16-Nov-18
Absolutely. The wife, myself, son, and daughter will all be out. Kids are 12 and 10 and are excited. My favorite time of the year!

16-Nov-18
Haven't hunted with a firearm for at least ten years. I have not hunted at all this year but was able to provide a friend with 34 acres of good whitetail habitat. For some silly reason I lost all interest in hunting after I lost 65 % of the vision in my left eye...not sure why but the net result is I didn't bowhunt for the first time since 1977.

16-Nov-18
LC I wish you well.

16-Nov-18
LC, I hope all is going well. I get it, health issues are no fun. For me health issues suck the fun/interest out of hunting quickly.

16-Nov-18
Really sucks to lose people in camp due to health problems. My dad hasn't been able to make it to camp for several years due to health problems that always seem to pop up around gun season. My uncle will also be missing camp this year due to health problems. The mighty are falling.

16-Nov-18
Sucks to lose the old-timers to health issues. They paved the way, and one day it'll be our turn. Enjoy it while it lasts and most of all BE SAFE! Good luck, guys!

17-Nov-18
I gun hunt mainly for the family time with my brother. The private land we have been hunting the last few years was sold last December so I’m doing the public land dance this year on a parcel that only allows muzzleloader so that keeps the number of vehicles in the parking lot down a little. I went out with the bow because I don’t have a muzzleloader. Didn’t even see a squirrel until 11:00. One of the few sits I’ve had on this property this year where I didn’t see anything. My daughter got home from college this afternoon so swapping the woods for some time with her.

17-Nov-18
Bow only. I have never once gun hunted for deer.

18-Nov-18
LC, sorry to hear about your health issues. I always enjoyed your contributions to this forum.

18-Nov-18
Thanks for your concerns. I'm certainly not some doddering old codger though. Well, maybe a 66 year old codger. I have no idea why a stroke (TIA) in my left eye (my shooting eye) would take away my enthusiasm for the bowhunting thing but it has for now. I am currently sitting about 300 yards from the Gulf of Mexico planning a "deep sea" trip on Tuesday and texting my golf guys (we play just about every day) at the golf course that's just about at the end of the parking lot. Just a thought for those that keep asking "How do you find hunting places?" The guy that is hunting our place for all of the seasons is just a friend that I trust and that means a lot and the "lease" is free. Make friends with guys that own land or at least live in among landowners. It sure is fun to go fishing for fish that you're not sure whether or not you have them or they have you....Thanks again-I do look at the posts from time to time and ALL of the PM's.

18-Nov-18
"I have no idea why a stroke (TIA) in my left eye (my shooting eye) would take away my enthusiasm for the bowhunting thing but it has for now."

Simple, old dogs dont want to learn new tricks. And I say that with absolutely no disrespect. Learning to with the opposite hand does not sound like any fun. I'm 39, and I'm not sure I would make the change if I had to. I would rather mentor hunters, or like you seem to have done, find all kinds of other things that can be equally as fun. My brother comes up from Key West to deer hunt. There are times when I'm freezing may ass off in my stand that I wonder if we couldn't make the same kind of memories on his boat out in the ocean catching fish as we do chasing deer.

19-Nov-18
"Simple, old dogs dont want to learn new tricks. " Wonder what bull dropped this on the barn floor? I tried to switch to right-handed for a couple of months with a Triax that I purchased. I was able to shoot left handed by moving the pins to the inside of the riser and putting a half inch spacer in between the riser and the pins and sighting with my right eye. Problem was-I could not trust it so I decided to put it away for a while. I really wish you hadn't questioned my resolve. I was bowhunting before you were born and have taken deer (over a hundred), antelope, mule deer,caribou, moose and other assorted small game. I loved the sport with a passion and still do but cannot do what my body won't let me. Please DO NOT question my resolve. This sort of thing is why I visit this site very much any more....

19-Nov-18
I went out on opening day, a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon. It was nice to get out in the woods but now I can't find the desire. I am thinking of selling the rifle. Might go out with the muzzleloader, more fun and fewer people in the woods. Mostly though, I am looking forward to December bowhunting. My strong interest is and always has been in bowhunting. As this site is meant to be.

19-Nov-18

19-Nov-18
Really quiet around here today. Only heard one shot today and took a drive to town and no one is out hunting.

20-Nov-18
Lame, I miss your posts on here you old dog. lol I'm glad you are learning some new fishing tricks & loving it besides. I'm still fighting it but just the pain of sitting in a tree is getting tougher. The scoliosis would not let me even think about golf. Don't know how sitting in a boat would be yet. I see the Doc next week. I'm guessing he will send me to the other Doc who might send me to another Doc. Sturgeon spearing is about all that don't hurt. I sit & look down a hole for 6 hours while leaning forward against my safety harness. I don't even have to look side to side. I don't know what will happen if one swims by. lol Glad you are doing good.

20-Nov-18
Albino - I sit & look down a hole for 6 hours while leaning forward against my safety harness. At first I thought you were in an outhouse. LOL Keep me posted if you still want to come up for trapping a fisher.

20-Nov-18
Hoot, the Doc said I can't sit in an outhouse that long or my insides might drop out. lol Yes, I would like to make time for Fisher. Even that took 4 years this time. It closes Jan. 6th so I have some time yet. The Bears should be sleeping by then & won't squash the live traps this time. lol

20-Nov-18
A few bears have been seen during gun season by some friends, but they should be underground for good in a week -----I hope!

• Sitka Gear