Thornton 18-Nov-18
Sweetshot 18-Nov-18
1boonr 18-Nov-18
N2BUX 18-Nov-18
1boonr 18-Nov-18
N2BUX 18-Nov-18
stealthycat 19-Nov-18
12-Nov-18
Yesterday morning I shot a buck from a stand about 30 yards out I ended up sticking him a little high and back! From my eyes I thought for sure I prob hit liver and back lung I waited over an hr before starting to look, found no blood no arrow! I saw him run straight for about 60 yards and then lost him. Looked for about 4 hrs yesterday mid day then went back at night and looked finding nothing! I never heard him run back off if I jumped him so I feel he’s dead somewhere and still can’t find him! It also is snowing now so if there is blood anywhere it’s prob covered or washed away! Any suggestions! I plan on looking one more time this afternoon, I thought maybe he veered right so that’s mainly the area I checked but could of possibly kept going straight and me not see!:(

12-Nov-18
No blood, fat, hair or meat on your arrow or Broadhead?

Sorry I re-read it:)

12-Nov-18
I never found the arrow the whole time I had my eyes on him before I lost him the arrow was stuck in him and never came out

12-Nov-18
I haven't experienced that before, but everything I've read would say to check in thick bedding areas nearby for a liver hit or maybe near water for a gut shot.

12-Nov-18
Yea it’s all pretty thick in there I looked for a while yesterday but it’s been over 24 hrs now I feel if he’s dead the coyotes prob got to him

12-Nov-18

Sweetshot's embedded Photo
Sweetshot's embedded Photo
I shot him at the stand and watched him run south about 60 yards before losing him

12-Nov-18
See the thread on "blood dog" for links to those with tracking dogs...might be an option?

12-Nov-18
Thought I made a perfect shot last year. Lots of blood heard a crash. Went to get someone to help load the deer. He was not there.. Took me till the next day. All I saw was a tuft of hair exposed in a pool of water. His blood trail led to a creek in which he stayed in and never came out... Go to water... That is the first place I would look.

12-Nov-18
Yea most are about an hour and a half away and the weather is bad today and idk if it would be worth being I never found blood or the arrow and it’s snowing now:(

12-Nov-18
Idk if there’s a water hole on that side of the property besides the lake being across the street but I don’t think he went that far! But again I only know where he last went from where I last saw him and it’s snowing now so prob won’t find blood if there is any or hair!:( I feel all I can do now is just look around but it’s been over 24 hours i shot him 9am yesterday morning

13-Nov-18
I should have said I found the deer in a water hole and all I could see was a tuft of hair at the surface of the water... I don't know how far away that lake is but if it is a liver shot it will definitely look for water.

14-Nov-18
Searched for two days couldn’t find him might have been farther back then I thought and he touched it out!:(

14-Nov-18
Sorry to say but it sounds like the neutral zone to me . Hopefully I’m wrong and you find him . Good luck . Best part is that I’ve seen several deer recover from it . Wouldn’t surprise me that you see him again or on camera , just with a triangular patch of hair missing . Good luck

15-Nov-18
Ya I think I pulled it more than I thought prob tougher it out haven’t seen crows or vultures anywhere either

15-Nov-18
“Neutral zone?”

16-Nov-18
Must have been ! I did everything to find him so he prob still kickin! Been seeing some other nice shooters so hopefully I can get another shot

16-Nov-18
There is no such thing as a "neutral zone" inside a body cavity. It certainly makes a difference in what was hit as to how quickly it can be lethal. But inside a body cavity stuff gets hit.

17-Nov-18
Neutral zone and void are two words used to describe a bad hit to make the hunter feel good that the deer will survive. Since there is no such thing the deer hit in such a mythical place will die

17-Nov-18
No idea on this specific case but there ARE deer that survive certain body cavity hits.Seen it a number of times over 60 plus years of bowhunting.

17-Nov-18
Thank you lefty - and i didn't say it was in the body cavity. I'm assuming your referring to the body cavity as the vitals and organs within the rib cage. I'm stating that there is such an area on a deer that what I call is the "neutral zone". It lies just below the spine and top of rib cage . That area is void or neutral as far as being lethal . Worse if your hunting from the ground. Good luck hunting to all.

17-Nov-18
You are correct shot a deer in that part of the body a few years ago and he survived till the next year. My aim was better the next year. LOL. I even saw how my arrow went through and made scare tissue. Was kind of neat how mother nature took care of him.

17-Nov-18
Down in the brisket is in the same way. It’s amazing what these critters can survive.

17-Nov-18
I’m guessing he survived didn’t find any blood or arrow or him after two days searching

18-Nov-18
Start using Rage broadheads. They seem to kill like a bullet

18-Nov-18
That’s what my buddy uses also might have to get some! Yesterday and this morning stunk wasn’t seeing any movement but during this past week they were all over the place

18-Nov-18
Smack there is no such neutral zone and if you look next time you kill one you will see that the lungs actually go higher than the aortic artery. There is no way to put an arrow through a deer just under the spine in the chest cavity and not hit lung. You could possibly hit that big thumb sized artery also.

18-Nov-18
1boonr, you can argue all you want but it doesn't change the fact that deer get hit high and survive. Deer get a lung clipped and survive. We've seen it play out on this forum with trail cam pictures and everything. When you come on here and spout absolutes you lose all credibility.

18-Nov-18
N2bux I didn’t say deer don’t get hit high and survive. I said there is no neutral zone. There is absolutely no space between spine and the lungs in the chest cavity. Anybody that thinks otherwise has never really taken the time to examine the deer they kill.

18-Nov-18
We all knew what he meant. Except you. He talking about a high hit that doesn't hit anything "VITAL" resulting in death.

19-Nov-18
"There is absolutely no space between spine and the lungs in the chest cavity. Anybody that thinks otherwise has never really taken the time to examine the deer they kill. "

This is true ..... you can hit the spine column "fin" which is above the spinal column itsself ....... and you can one lung a deer without getting both lungs ....

But there is no void which is above lungs and below spine

• Sitka Gear