spike78 10-Dec-18
skipmaster1 10-Dec-18
LiveOutdoors 10-Dec-18
skipmaster1 10-Dec-18
12-Nov-18

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Post em if you got em . . .

147lb 6pt. Saw 14 deer Sat and Sun including this buck and a spike.

13-Nov-18
I haven't even been out in Vermont this month. I might hunt a day or 2. Gonna go out with the muzzloader for a few days though. Congrats.

13-Nov-18
Congrats Rob! Nice looking deer.

21-Nov-18
First afternoon out. I saw a 4 pointer and 2 does. Did a little scouting in the snow and towards dark I saw a few deer across the field by where I killed my archery doe. Lots of rubs from this season. Hopefully I’ll be able to get into a decent buck this week.

23-Nov-18

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
Thursday morning I followed fresh tracks and caught up with a few does. The afternoon I caught up with a couple of bucks. One was a 5 pointer and I decided to take him for my second ever gun deer. I made a good 165 yard shot and he dropped in place.

24-Nov-18

25-Nov-18
Congrats Skip!

25-Nov-18
Thanks Rob. Congrats to you too. This was a really fun hunt for me because usually I’m hunting from a stand with a bow! I’ve killed piles with a bow but gun hunting is totally foreign to me.

27-Nov-18
Congrats Rob and Skip! Great job.

29-Nov-18
Glad to see a few fortunate guys tagged this season, this site has been quiet. Nothing for me yet, one last shot with the bow this weekend in Orange Co. Im thinking this snow might have them moving out of the green fields and into clearcuts or standing corn somewhere. Or maybe there starting to yard up, not sure what to do at this point. Happy Holidays to all!

30-Nov-18
Mboudreau- good luck out there. Most of the deer I saw were bedding high and coming into the field edges to browse on whatever was above the snow. Red osier for sure but I don’t have ag near me.

08-Dec-18

LiveOutdoors's embedded Photo
LiveOutdoors's embedded Photo
Shot this doe last night (Friday 12/7/18). At 4:30. She came in with 5 does. About two minutes after I shot her a decent 6 pt came right into the same spot. Although I watched my doe drop within 50 yards and I did have another archery tag in my pocket, i didnt even think about shooting. This was my second deer and theres no reason to shoot another one just to fill all my tags. I never understood that mentality.

On another note, three years in a row now I have filled my archery tag on the last friday evening of the late season. Kind of weird how that keeps working out!

10-Dec-18
Liveoutdoors- congrats. It’s great to fill a tag late season! I agree that there is no reason to fill all of your tags just to fill them.

10-Dec-18
Thanks skip and congrats to you too on your buck. I dont understand the mentality of having to fill all tags because I can. I think they need to get rid of the antler restrictions and go to one buck per year. It will never happen but there is no reason why vt is a two buck state. If you want to shoot that 100 lb spike on opening morning of bow season then great have at it but your done buck hunting. I think in the long run it will save alot of buck because shooting that little buck will get old for many serious hunters. It would definitely pay off down the road with larger bucks harvested and a better rut witnessed in the woods. Thats my rant!

10-Dec-18
I never understood their antler restriction isn’t a fork horn the same age as a spike?

10-Dec-18
Liveoutdoors- I’m from NY and we are also a 2 buck state but for years my county allowed up to 8 bucks. It was ridiculous. In VT, I usually hunt opening weekend of bow and then thanksgiving weekend. I limit myself to a doe and a buck. The population on the property is good but no reason to change that. Spike78- yes. In fact you are just taking out better potential bucks of the same age. Even the 5 pointer I took this year was 1.5 with good potential. I decided to shoot because I’ve killed hundreds of deer with the bow but only one with the gun. It was fun and different. Next year I’ll probably be more picky.

10-Dec-18
Skip I was not implying anything about your buck. Every kill is a trophy and should be treated that way. I am just saying that one buck a year will put more choice in the hands of the hunter. If a hunter shoots a 1 1/2 year old deer then that is their choice but they cant complain that they cant shoot another buck. If a person passes multiple small buck during a season and doesnt fill their buck tag then they cant complain either. They could have but chose not to.

I wish the f&w would see it that way. It would take alot of pressure off them.

10-Dec-18
Liveoutdoors- I didn’t think you were implying anything about my buck. I completely agree with the 1 buck rule. I like giving hunters a choice and still adding age class to the herd. I’ve been pushing for 1 buck in NY for a long time. I live in an Archery only county and 4.5 is the youngest I’ll target... and there aren’t many in or above that age class. I eat plenty of buck tag soup. Young bucks just don’t get me pumped with the bow anymore. I killed a lot of them over the years.

• Sitka Gear