Grub 16-Nov-18
Crusader dad 16-Nov-18
Bo Hunter 18-Nov-18
CaptMike 19-Nov-18
MTGoat 19-Nov-18
Bloodtrail 20-Nov-18
CaptMike 20-Nov-18
13-Nov-18
Its obvious they do not teach history in that school system,,, Yes lets pour some more money in our state school system which is a joke........

13-Nov-18
The photographer said that the kids were told to wave, hard to tell for sure from a still image, I wasn’t there, so I can’t really judge.

My question would be, did they chant anything while they were “waving”?

I can see that they weren’t clicking their heels during the “wave”, so they weren’t doing the full “salute” as accused.

In my opinion, some people are looking for things to be offended by. My kids high school teams sing the alma mater song after home games and had to change their salute to the fans to a wave as they sing the “all hail” portion, because some people thought that it resembled the Hitler salute too much. Completely different gesture and especially different intent, so completely different meaning. Some people take things out of context and want to be offended...which could be what happened with the picture, or maybe not. I wasn’t there, but seeing the picture, that isn’t at all where my mind would have ever taken me. One of the kids in the picture did an interview with CNN and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up with a couple black eyes over that. He sure sounded like he was making a few assumptions that were throwing classmates under the bus to make himself look as good as he could on a national stage.

14-Nov-18
Grow a pair people! The kids are waving, WAVING! Not saluting!

14-Nov-18
That's was my take on this also, a bunch of high school kids waving or just goofing off. The media loves to make big deals of little things and these people who live to make issues and jump on everything that anyone does or say's SHUT UP ALREADY!!! I'm so sick of it I don't watch anything on TV anymore but the Packer Games and You Tube. I could have puked seeing the protesters making a big deal out of a stupid thing. Now those kids are labeled because of idiots.

14-Nov-18
I am well aware of the horrors of the holocaust yet that was not what I thought of when I saw that picture. And, as the person who took the picture explained, the kids were simply waving their hands in the air. I give them and the photographer the benefit of any doubt.

14-Nov-18
I'm with ya Live2hunt! This is more about adults looking for a reason to be "offended" than anything else. No offense, but they're just a bunch of "dumb" kids goofing off. In our day we whipped shitties in the gravel pit and drag-raced down main. Kids don't think, and I doubt there was any ill-intent in the picture, so GET OVER IT!

14-Nov-18
Social media has contorted this way out of context. They did nothing wrong!!!

14-Nov-18
They weren't waving. And they knew exactly what gesture they were making. Quit trying to act like it's "just nothing" or the media over-reacting. And it's not just our media covering this one, it's the world.

14-Nov-18
I know the parent who took the picture said it was a wave, but it sure did not look like a wave to me. One kid did not do it and spoke against it and I'm guessing it was because it was not a wave. I don't believe the kids meant any harm by it or were being derogatory towards the true meaning. I think it is being sensationalized in today's overly PC world.

14-Nov-18
Pretty disgusting that some of you defend these kids for "waving." You think those shit eating grins on their face were from simply waving to the camera? Get real. There is a track record of racism within the district and when it goes unpunished it turns into something of a PR shit-storm like this did. Maybe social media is holding us more accountable to act like decent human beings.

14-Nov-18
Stupid kids do stupid things and need to understand stupid actions have consequences. Kids have few consequences for their stupidity today.

14-Nov-18
Ok Grub, I believe they are a bunch of Hitlers youth down there, yep we need to stomp them out, destroy there lives, that will teach them to idolize Hitler and white supremacy!!!

14-Nov-18
I'm from Baraboo. There's so much knee jerking and conclusion jumping going on as to amaze. I wasn't there, don't know any of the kids, nor the photographer. So..with no knowledge of the facts or truth, I'll niether commend nor condemn.

I've seen other photos taken at the time with the prom couples before the photographer took the shot of just the boys. This happened last year...why now? I'd heard nothing of this until this surfaced on social media...then the world exploded.

Like I said...I wasn't there...I have no evidence or proof of what it was all about. Do you? Until any investigation is concluded, I'll withhold any judgements. Jumping to conclusions can lead to a hazardous fall.

But...I'm SO happy social media and cell phones weren't around in my day of "stupid $#!+" stunts.

14-Nov-18
Legit or not.....who cares. Kids do dumb things, without thinking about how they are perceived. Who the hell cares. For all we know, there is some stupid inside joke relating to some other BS piece of media that makes the gesture comical to them. If they are saluting, is it ethical.......maybe not, but I really don't give a crap. The fricken media blows everything out of proportion because it gets them views and ratings. Everyone that causes a stink over crap like this is just supporting the media plague. Another form of wasted money, time, and resources. Welcome to America, the most f'ing butthurt country on the planet. Rant done.

14-Nov-18
Don't we have better things to do, like get rid of social media altogether... I personally wouldn't be upset with that

14-Nov-18
Waving my ass.

14-Nov-18
Well live2hunt, I never said any of that. I said they knew what they were doing. You sound like the media everyone seems so against. Putting words in where there were none to begin with. I live close to baraboo and know some of the people involved. It wasn't a wave.

14-Nov-18
"This happened last year...why now? I'd heard nothing of this until this surfaced on social media...then the world exploded. "

Well, if you heard nothing of it sounds like it was being covered up and very few people knew about it, but now since word got out people are upset so maybe that is "why now"?

How anyone can look at that picture and say that is anything other than a salute is in complete denial. Other than the few that aren't waving at all or waving normally, the rest are idiots. The parents of the ones smart enough not to be an idiot should be proud of their kids.

14-Nov-18
Unreal!!! Let's get the hell over it. Where is this all going to stop. If your offended don't look don't read the article move on. Freedom of speech . Means you are free to not look or read.

14-Nov-18
"Freedom of speech . Means you are free to not look or read. "

Correct. It also means you are free TO look and read AND comment about it.

I'm starting to wonder how many of the posters here went through the Baraboo school system?

14-Nov-18
From what I understand....the boys were asked....."by show of hands....who thinks they are going to get a piece of tail tonight". Anyone that thinks this is some form of "Hitler salute" needs to have their head examined.....Hitler is rolling over in his Argentinian grave if that`s a "Hitler salute". I`m losing faith in my fellow citizens.

14-Nov-18
The kid in front left of center is definitely not saluting Hitler.

14-Nov-18
HunterR...I graduated Baraboo High in 1970. Came back after college, and am still here.

OK?

14-Nov-18
Over reaction by those wonderfull liberals .

15-Nov-18
Exactly Ruger.

15-Nov-18
Franklin, you're delusional. Have you ever raised your hand like that?

I'm losing faith that there are any even keeled folk on this website.

15-Nov-18
I dont know the story but from the looks of the pic that is not a normal 'wave'.

15-Nov-18
Again, media makes a big deal out of nothing.

15-Nov-18

Geitz's embedded Photo
Geitz's embedded Photo
There is a kid in the front row who has his hand in an upside down "OK" sign. I heard this one reporter start talking that this is a symbol of "white power". What B.S. It's "the Circle Game" kids(and some adults) play. Google it. This reporter should be reprimanded for making this up.

IMO, many should. It was not on school grounds or a school function. No reason for any investigation. Even "IF" they all were actually giving what some call "a Nazi salute", it's their right. It's amazing the lack of knowledge in history. Nazi's did not invent this salute, it a salute which dated back to the Romans. Actually, Francis Bellamy( the author of the Pledge of Allegiance) had American's doing the Bellamy Salute which is almost exactly like the "Nazi Salute". American did the Bellamy Salute from 1892 until Congress amended it in 1942 with the hand over heart.

Liberal must have been going ape snit back in the early years of WW2 with all the Americans doing the "Nazi Salute". LOL

Leave the kids alone

15-Nov-18
When they start marching Jews to the ovens call me, until then it was nothing more than dumb kids led by a dumb adult photographer goofing off for the camera. I really doubt any one of them put more than 2 seconds thought into what they were doing...kind of like every other teenager on earth. If you want to express outrage and offense maybe take a look at something more urgent and way more serious...like our southern border, perhaps.

15-Nov-18
Can someone post a link to the picture in question or the picture itself. I must live under a rock, because I have not seen it.

15-Nov-18

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo

15-Nov-18
Amazing at the number of overly emotional libs on these pages. It is a fricken wave, get a life.

15-Nov-18
I don't see anyone getting emotional...just some who seem strangely defensive.

15-Nov-18
Yeah, the only emotion I see here is people bashing liberals and the media. I did read up some on this. Current and former students aren’t surprised one bit that these kids would make that salute, if that’s what they were actually doing. And it’s not exclusive to Baraboo. We toyed with the notion of gaming with our kids. The amount of cussing and racial slurs thrown around by kids highschool age and younger is sickening. Rough times ahead...

15-Nov-18
This is bowsite i think. Some come to this site to enjoy and get lost in the matter on bowsite, dont think this media drivel is very pertinent to bowsite.

15-Nov-18
Then don't open the thread. It doesn't just jump out at you.

16-Nov-18
I'm offended! Don't ask me what about, but give me a minute and I'll think of something. I'm not happy unless someone tells me I should be offended by something.

16-Nov-18
I've got a life Captain. And it doesn't involve blaming someone else when I screw up. Go bash someone else because liberals didn't cause this mess.

16-Nov-18
Liberals do cause it because they are quick to bring anything like this to national attention. Sensationalize things that may or may not be true. Stick to the facts rather than react with unfounded emotions. The fact is the photographer told them to hold their hand up.

16-Nov-18
“Strangely defensive?” Lol!

16-Nov-18
I'm assuming you hold your hand up like that too...

16-Nov-18
I think governer walker said it best. The kids are idiots. Now let that be the end of it. Kids do stupid things all the time and this is just another one. Not a huge deal.

18-Nov-18
I too live in the Baraboo area, it is a wonderful small town not running rampant with racism. Whatever those young men were doing wasn’t meant to be a statement to the rest of the world representing our towns values. Kids just goofing off, blown out of proportion in my humble opinion. Thank God there was no internet when I was in HS to capture every stupid thing we did as kids to go viral. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

19-Nov-18
Yeah Grub, if I wave, my hand is held up. Otherwise it is difficult to see the wave. A wave is meant to be seen, if acknowledging another or trying to gain another’s attention. Lol!

19-Nov-18
Yes, kids do stupid things. And it’s the community’s job to help them see the error of their ways. Ever ask yourself: how did Hitler convince so many nice young Germans to think that eradicating 6 million Jews was the right thing to do? It didn’t happen overnight. But it did happen while a lot of people watched and rationalized the slippery slope of racism. I’m confident the community of Baraboo will help these fine young men see why a gesture to show obedience to Hitler is wrong. Or, I guess, they could just leave ‘em alone.

20-Nov-18
I wonder how many of us here on Bowsite, at that tender age and IF "social media" existed would have a few regrets?

God, I was a goof ball back then and I often wonder what I may have done that may have come back to bite me in the butt! LOL

Crusader Dad - Walker had it right like you said - Idiot...enuf said...move on!

20-Nov-18
I don’t even think I was an “idiot” move. I doubt most of those kids are even able to correlate their act with Hitler.

• Sitka Gear