splitlimb13 22-Feb-20
16-Nov-18

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
Anyone had any luck on the offrange orys hunts! Due to multiple elk hunts in October and my son get bronchitis we only had a couple days to hunt . He made it count! Apologize in advance for the photos but both phones dies shortly after. Post some OFF RANGE ORYX on here !

16-Nov-18
Congrats on your sons oryx, and a really good pic! what's the length?

16-Nov-18

39" buddy

16-Nov-18
Idk wth is going on with the pics

16-Nov-18
Wow, 39" is something special.

LOL there are only a few off range oryx spots with trees like that

16-Nov-18

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
This is one I saw yesterday while quail hunting.

16-Nov-18
Nice!! Somethin about them Oryx that keeps me in constant aw.

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18

17-Nov-18
We are heading down Nov 30 for my daughters Dec off range.

19-Nov-18
I had October with my kids but with limited time to weekends and elk hunts it was tuff to locate them only saw one off range unfortunately. But had a great time with the kids, just seeing them was so exciting for them! Just part of learning to hunt.

That's a giant! Nice job.

19-Nov-18
Sure doesn't look very pleased with his trophy. Killing one with a bow would bring a smile to my face.

27-Nov-18
Is that you or your son in the photo splitlimb? SMILE for the camera with a good bull like that - congrats!

27-Nov-18
Man your son seems pissed ? Was there a bigger one lol

28-Nov-18
The rings on the horns almost suggest it was a cow...

04-Dec-18
Geno your pics make me jealous but get me pumped for next yr lol. I send you pics of squirrels and you send me pics of oryx,mountain lions, 400+bulls lol. Congrats

10-Dec-18
Thank you all for the kind comments ! That's actually me in the photo! By the end of October I was pretty worn out!!! Great pics up here guys. Adam , I enjoy all the pics you send brother!!! So keep em coming!!!

11-Dec-18
Well where’s your son with his kill he has to be stoked.

12-Dec-18
I was thinking same thing Get it done: at least post a photo of your son with a home Euro skull trophy? I want so see a grinning kid!

01-Jan-19
mrelite, did you see any quail?

02-Jan-19

HDE's embedded Photo
HDE's embedded Photo
We only saw two; this and one other.

02-Jan-19
That's a pretty awesome 'broken-horn'.

07-Jan-19
Yeah, pretty unique.

11-Jan-19

priley's embedded Photo
priley's embedded Photo
here you go HDE

11-Jan-19
priley - of course we only hunted two days, well, 1-1/2 hours the second day...

11-Jan-19
Shaft, very few quail and when we did see them they were running and flying before we could get a chance at em.

Congrats HDE, that is a crazy looking one for sure!

20-Jan-19
We saw two coveys this past weekend while off ranging (again), real "flighty".

21-Jan-19

21-Jan-19

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
I saw a couple female oryx yesterday while looking for some quail but never saw a bird at all

21-Jan-19
John, lately when I've seen oryx like that we are trying to get the crosshairs on them and don't have time for friendly photos!

Those two look like they are at that one location we hunted over the weekend.

21-Jan-19
I have had good luck seeing them without a tag........ Did you see a white F250 with a white camper shell and a bird dog with its face plastered to the front windshield?

21-Jan-19
No, did not see a white F250 that I recall.

Usually how it works - while waiting for "my oryx hunter" to work his way back to the truck, I could've shot 3 oryx easily...

21-Jan-19
“My Oryx hunter” now that’s funny! I did shoot one of those three though.

21-Jan-19

butcherboy's embedded Photo

21-Jan-19
Congrats butcherboy - looks like you had one hell of a guide!

22-Jan-19
What a team!! congrats butcherboy! that will be some good eats.

22-Jan-19
Thanks guys. Now if I can just talk my “guide” into going sheep hunting with me in February! Lol

22-Jan-19
Pretty sure your "guide" knows as much about sheep as Ocasio-Cortez knows about economics and the end of the world...

28-Jan-19
lmao I'm betting on the sheep guide

28-Jan-19

Here’s the hamburger ready to go into the stuffer
Here’s the hamburger ready to go into the stuffer

28-Jan-19

Steaks all packaged ready for the freezer
Steaks all packaged ready for the freezer

30-Jan-19
Location? Location? Location? Got an off range hunt in Feb; interested in near Spaceport or otherwise...

30-Jan-19
Anywhere close to the fence, from north to south. Have to cover country and glass. We found the ones we shot 25 miles apart.

Just like on the range, they don't huddle up and stay at one spot all the time.

31-Jan-19
Understood. Wasn't expecting their GPS cords or PO boxes. Hoping for someone recently to give positive sign on west side, go toward southern edge, look by Bosque, or go over to Alamogordo, etc. Or hunt at first light/dusk...

31-Jan-19
Hunt from first light to dusk to maximize hunt time - oryx are civilized in that they are daylight animals.

You listed all the areas you should look. I know I sound vague, but oryx are in those areas. I pick one of those places, try it, then go onto the next one if needed.

Take a look at the proc and choose an area relative to WSMR and McGregor range hunts. Hint: something like onX Hunt is your best friend...

31-Jan-19
Yep those things are roamers and they are where they are, my last off range hunt took seven back to back days and miles and miles of constant moving around before we found some, so yea all the areas you said.

29-Mar-19
Apparently the story of camera dying and no trophy pics with son by the OP may have been a fish tale. Oryx is suspected of being killed on a youth tag but son wasn't present or the shooter, hence no trophy pics. There is an online court case summarizing the charges by NMDGF.

Pathetic if true...

29-Mar-19
Yikes, that is pathetic. Got a link?

29-Mar-19
There is a case lookup online.

29-Mar-19

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo

29-Mar-19
dang..... must have thought he could get away with it and post up a hero shot and a phoney story. That would have made some kid a hell of a trophy of a lifetime. Probably get to see it on a NMG&F office wall hall of shame somewhere.

29-Mar-19
Just such a hollow victory I can't really comprehend. Like stealing an Olympic gold medal and hanging it on your wall then telling everyone you're an Olympian...all the while knowing in your heart it's a sham. Sad really.

29-Mar-19
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying crucify the guy. We've all made mistakes, some of us bigger than others.

Basically wanted to make the point let's not lose sight of the reason we do this. It really wouldn't be all that hard to kill a trophy animal if you're willing to ignore the rules: spotlight at night, rifle during bow season, kill something out of season, on the wrong side of the fence or in an area closed to hunting. Guys get busted for doing things like this all too often.

Even killing a trophy animal using legal means can also be pretty easy: pay huge $ for a posse to follow your trophy for half a year and then call you to come kill it, "hunt" high fence, whatever.

Most of us get it, but some see inches of bone as the only metric for success. We need to educate our ranks that a spike bull taken on the 6th day of hard hunting by yourself on a backcountry bivy is the better trophy than a 7x7 bull shot from the ditch when you bailed out of your truck and let lead fly.

Sometimes I'll share success photos or statements with friends. Most will say "congrats", "awesome". But a few just ask "how big?" What difference does it make? It was a "shooter" to me, forgive me for not whipping out my micrometer and tallying up the scoring sheet before the body cooled.

I reached out to the OP for some advice based on this and other threads as he seemed to support hunting with kids. In our conversations he seemed to be pretty straight up. Maybe it was all a façade. I hope that's not the case, and I hope that he wakes up and gets back on track.

Let's not lose sight of why our passion is our passion. The end does not justify the means.

29-Mar-19
Good post Smarba.

Would't shock me if G&F saw the pics and then investigated because there wasn't a smiling youth in any of the photos.

29-Mar-19
You just never know, I might have missed it but how did he get caught?

Dang it Smarba! did you have to single me out for asking how big it was........lol, the good thing about measuring an oryx is that you don't need a micrometer, a regular tape will do just fine : )

IMO it's all about filling the freezer, with a full freezer we enjoy many awesome meals and good times with family and friends, that is what we should be teaching our kids, not that you need to draw a trophy tag to experience what hunting is all about.

30-Mar-19
Danm what a POS. Steer clear from these guys he also a partner with Jesse Valdez from wild outdoorsnm,also a snake if you know anyone wanting to put in with these guys tell them to steer clear . I wonder if this tag was pulled on their outfitter #

31-Mar-19
Hmmm. Not sure where the reference to Jesse comes in. I've known Jesse for years and there's no way he'd be involved with something like this.

mrelite - no offense intended! I know you "get" it. There isn't anything wrong with being curious about the size. But when that's the ONLY interest in a trophy it's misguided.

31-Mar-19
@ Get it done...don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house. I remember when you were a teenager and would cruise to Hyde Park in your Jeep and shoot does. Not to mention your .44 mag kill of bull while on a muzzleloader hunt. Crazy!

31-Mar-19
Guess you got the wrong person where the heck is high park.Never even owned a 44.

01-Apr-19
Pretty shady story , seems like now it makes all you stories and pics shared a huge question mark....Either you part of the problem of part of the solution.....I HATE POACHERS!!!!! I hope they throw the book as this guy, no different than any other scum poacher , friggin thief!!!

01-Apr-19
The sad thing is that the act is often passed on from generation to generation. A few years ago I saw a poacher during a deer hunt, he was rifle hunting a big deer that I was watching during my archery hunt, on my way hiking out to call the G&F I ran into a dad and his 14 or 15 year old son that was totally involved in the act, as soon as I left them I could hear him talking to the rifle poacher on a radio. I gave the guy a piece of my mind and by the time we were driving out of the area to get phone service these 3 people were already approaching their truck to haul ass out of there because they knew they were compromised. They were backed into the hill so I couldn't get a license plate # so we drove past them and went to where we had phone service and as we were talking to the G&F the truck was leaving the area at a high speed. The G&F said there was nothing they could do since they hadn't actually shot the deer, we had a long conversation after that but the bottom line was that it is very hard to catch a poacher and the sad thing was they were teaching the act to a youth.

01-Apr-19
I didnt even see that post until now ... whistle blowing due to the fact theres a personal vendetta toward someone is as low as it gets... the little "click" that reported the "suposed" crime are pathetic set of individuals, seeking to ruin someone due to the fact that person is 10 times the hunter they are is pretty sad. Nothing has been proven and won't be . It's just people like Vini here trying to ruin the reputation of someone else thats all it is. Nobody here knows what is going on and until they do can think what they want.

@get it done, I am not affiliated with that weasle anymore and that is where these accusations stemmed from... some guys just cant accept the fact they're not as good as others and when an outfitter is jealous of his own guide it's pretty pathetic. Wild outdoors, what a joke!

01-Apr-19
Who is Vini?

01-Apr-19
I had to delete as I accidentally double hit the submit ..

01-Apr-19
Some tool who has his strings pulled by a bigger tool...

01-Apr-19
As far as you go Carl, I'm surprised you would be so quick to defend the rodent . If you only knew what he says behind close doors . Nothing more than a guy with his panties in a twist and not having balls to handle matters like a man.

01-Apr-19
split: I don't want to get in the middle of whatever dispute may be going on. I have no idea who reported on you. I've known Jesse for a number of years and from what I know of him he's a straight shooter. I don't know you at all except from your posts here and the brief correspondence we had regarding planning my daughter's deer hunt last year, which as you know we were unable to go on due to school commitments.

I mentioned previously that found it odd that you never posted at least an "after" trophy pic with your son given that your cell phone apparently died in the field. I'm all for involving youth and celebrating the success of our younger generation and I hate to think that a kiddo may have gotten cheated out of a hunting experience.

I will say I find it odd that you aren't posting "I didn't poach" or "This is a misunderstanding"; but instead "nobody can prove anything" and "so and so is a jerk and half a man; he's just jealous of me".

As others have said, the court can figure it out and I am NOT one to judge without knowing the facts. Definitely innocent until proven guilty IMO.

To reiterate, I hope that everything is on the up and up and this is all a misunderstanding.

01-Apr-19
I will say I find it odd that you aren't posting "I didn't poach" or "This is a misunderstanding"; but instead "nobody can prove anything" and "so and so is a jerk and half a man; he's just jealous of me". This is the reason for the headache .... It's never been because I poached anything. You say you know him...you dont man. I'll take that up with him when I see him.

I am going to say it's pretty shitty you putting me on blast like that. I've been nothing but straight shooter and given help to several who have needed it ,and leave it to the guys that are supposed to ask questions first to be the ones posting this garbage. That's not appreciated and you indeed did take the first swing. Still no hard feelings Carl,I had no idea this thread was even alive until today. Good luck in the draw

NM game and fish has a job to do as well. So I'll let them have fun proving me guilty. I sure as hell dont appreciate any of the commotion that was caused by one teeny tiny group of idiots. (Meaning the castrated bastards who thought it was funny to make a false accusation)

01-Apr-19
A whistleblower (also written as whistle-blower or whistle blower) is a person who exposes any kind of information or activity that is deemed illegal, unethical, or not correct within an organization that is either private or public.......

So just for clarification, your upset that someone "jealous" of you turned you in/reported you for doing something "deemed illegal,unethical"???

Ok ...

01-Apr-19
Lawrence , This isnt English class so spare me the bs. I'm talking about someone who makes false accusations to try and ruin other peoples well being. A man that doesn't have the balls to confront another man with an issue and goes through all this just get even is no man at all. Theres a reason i left . It's not the first time hes done this either. Hes got a good group of people who he'll have to eventually face .

Carl said he got that information forwarded to him, he has ties with the guy who is causing all this not rocket science here. I personally watched while he tried to do this same thing to other people cuz they were in "his spot" same exact thing Carl put a picture up of. . I am a guy that has called to report real crimes that I was present for. N have been a hunter n sportsman for years. I wouldn't jeopardize that for a stinky oryx.

01-Apr-19
Monsterbull, your right this isn't English class, but you used the word "whistle blower" and as stated above never have defended yourself...So even if a guy whistle blows, the Fish and game isn't going to go through the process of court because they "think" they have something on a wild life violation shared from some one who has a vendetta against a better hunter>>>....if there was zero proof of wrong doing this wouldn't be headed to court plain and simple....am I wrong? Man no man is perfect, we all make mistakes but owning them and how you(we) respond after the fact is the learning lesson we can all learn from.I hope its just that, a huge un truth as you have been a contributor , but more than anything , after the fact how we communicate with each other...

01-Apr-19
This is all getting carried out of control. Let the system work and we still live in a country where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. From my experience this individual would of been the last I ever expected to be in this situation. He shows up to gnf meetings etc while others dont. I'm truly not saying hes innocent or guilty as none of us were there and its not up to us to decide or condemn. Theres always consequences to our actions and those are the real burdens that are hard to live with. Lets leave it at that stay focused on the upcoming green guys.

01-Apr-19
Lawrence, I'll keep you guys posted. All I am a little ticked about was having the guys online blasting me and me not even knowing about it.

01-Apr-19
Slander is a serious issue. Malicious misinformation isn't treated lightly in courts.

01-Apr-19
Let's hope not HDE. When I visited with g&f after my barbary hunt , I cooperated with anything they needed and even went above and beyond to meet them twice since. I use onx on my phones even on wilderness hunts. It's not uncommon for my phones to be on the blink at the end of the day. I over shot my truck at 9:30 at night by a mile due to my phone being dead in February.

01-Apr-19
Thanks Adam. I agree.

01-Apr-19
Meant false accusations relative to insinuating the innocent are guilty is a slippery slope, not directed at you or anyone else for that matter.

27-Jun-19
Any news/outcome to this story?

07-Feb-20
I said from the start this was a malicious act ,done by people who have a personal vendetta toward me. That's exactly what this was. This was entirely orchestrated , it is not only COMPLETE BS that me and my family had to be put through this , but also that the Game and Fish were lied to by these people. Up most respect for our g&f department. It pains me to think that people can concoct these types of accusations simply to try and ruin someone else's life. As hunters we face enough adversities with out turning on each other . One of the above posts says "Malicious misinformation isn't treated lightly in courts." We found this to be true . After ( Dennis Barela) was forced out of hiding and interviewed by the attorneys the D.A. heard his testimony and it was the D.A. that made the motion to dismiss. So here is your update Flyfish freak!

DISMISSED BY PROSECUTION

Some here saw fit to jump to conclusions, so here is the real conclusion.

07-Feb-20
Geno, Dang man congrats to you on this mess. I couldn't personally imagine being attacked prematurely all over the web etc. I think you should be getting some apologizing on here for sure. If they cant apologize then they are the Nancy Pelosi's in our hunt community for sure. The truth always comes out and if anything this should strengthen your integrity to us all and especially to GNF. It will definitely degrade the integrity of the accusers for sure. Like I mentioned while others were ready to stone you. Poachers carry certain traits. Going to gnf meetings, taking youth hunting, helping fellow hunters with yrs of knowledge aren't natural traits that a poacher will contribute. Dont believe poachers need a family member to draw a tag to poach either. Feel for the you and your family as I'm sure this was a huge strain on you and your family. Welcome back man and hope you get lots of green this year from GNF.

07-Feb-20

DISMISSED BY PROSECUTION!
DISMISSED BY PROSECUTION!

07-Feb-20
You're absolutely right Adam! If this can happen to the President of USA why not any of us?!? Thank you for your post ,and I hope to see tons of green! Haha

20-Feb-20
Congrats

22-Feb-20
Glad you got your name cleared man

22-Feb-20
Thank you Cory ! Same here !

• Sitka Gear