spike78 04-Nov-19
N8tureBoy 04-Nov-19
Ace 04-Nov-19
101stRecon 05-Nov-19
soapdish 05-Nov-19
Eric the Red 05-Nov-19
soapdish 07-Nov-19
18-Nov-18
My son would like one. We are in the process of researching them and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good book to read on training one for hunting. Looking for upland and waterfowl retrieval.

18-Nov-18
I had one.fantastic dogs.

18-Nov-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Tritronix by Dobbs if I recall is a good book. I got mine used from EBay. I have a Wirehair Pointing Griffon which I highly recommend as well. She is a fantastic hunter and family dog also very smart. She’s also a goofball!

18-Nov-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
She can find it all birds and sheds!

18-Nov-18
I like her style of hunting as well being slow and close not a dog you have to keep up with while hunting.

18-Nov-18
That's awesome

18-Nov-18
I had 3 of them great dogs.

Get one from a reputable NAVHAD breeder.

Go on line there’s a southern New England chapter all the info there.

18-Nov-18
I had a griffon also. She was a great hunter and family dog.

18-Nov-18

Cp550022's embedded Photo
We recently bought our first hunting dog. We picked a GSP because of the versatility of the breed, he has been fantastic for a 13 month old pup. We bought our little guy from Crystal kennels in New York, Judy, the owner was super helpful. We had him trained for 6 weeks at quinebaug kennels in canterbury ct. After that training he has exceeded our expectations as a hunting partner. We still have some things to work on but overall very pleased. Being new to upland hunting we did not have the knowledge or confidence to tackle the whole training process on our own. Best of luck to you, feel free to send me a pm if I can answer anymore questions. Chris

18-Nov-18

N8tureBoy's Link
Soap - Call Jennifer Broom at Quinnebog Kennels. She will put you in touch with a reputable breeder and can also help with training, if needed.

18-Nov-18

18-Nov-18
Great advice, ty. My son found a breeder in Washington Depot, up and Adam. They are akc registered and do health screenings. Been raising them since 1974.

18-Nov-18

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Chris, Super photo of that dog on point. GSP are great dogs and the ones that members of our club have are a pleasure to hunt with. I have 2 French Brittanies and they have a driving desire to hunt, point all day long but prefer to hunt for themselves and not so much for me. I consider that problem my fault for lack of training them on my part. I guess what I am saying is whatever breed that you may get, take the time to work with the dog and train them well. you won't regret it.

18-Jan-19

soapdish's embedded Photo
Puppy came home today. Female named Dakota. Awesome so far, looks like she's a natural

18-Jan-19

GF's Link
Dick Wolters’ Gun Dog

18-Jan-19
We'll check it out

18-Jan-19
Good locking dog! And she already pointed a pheasant!

18-Jan-19
Wife wasn't happy that we shot the pheasant in the house lol ??. Never too early to start training I said

18-Jan-19
American hunting dog club trains near Mansfield hollow and welcomes all breeds. Knowledgeable guys they have a training book/ manual too.

19-Jan-19
Awesome congrats!

19-Jan-19
Good luck with your pup Soap, nothing like having a good hunting dog along with you while bird hunting.

Take your time with her, work a lot on obedience, that's the most important part. The pointing and retrieving will come but without obedience you'll never be a team.

GSPs have a ton of prey drive, so keeping them on under control is the hardest part. Daily yard work on Come, Sit, Stay, Heel etc will pay dividends later.

19-Jan-19
Thanks for input.

19-Jan-19

SixLomaz's embedded Photo
Hunter
Hunter
Misty
Misty
Misty
Misty
Here you go ... just got 2 pups November 2018. I hope you have a big backyard. Them GSP dogs need space. They are not exactly lap dogs.

19-Jan-19
I do. I've seen a few old timers get hunting dogs and can't run em like they should

20-Jan-19

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
I had a German Wirehaired Pointer, (basically the same as a GSP with a beard), she was a great hunter and a real sweetheart but SO much energy that she wore me out. After she passed on I decided to go with a breed with a different energy level. A Spinoni Italiano seems just about perfect.

20-Jan-19

Smoothdraw's embedded Photo
Smoothdraw's embedded Photo
I got Leo as a pup this summer at a shelter. I think he’s a pit/ lab/ hound mix. He’s got a great nose but I haven’t taken him hunting yet. I’ve been taking him in the field on a 50 ft lead. I’d like to get some chukars or pheasant. I’m excited to get back into bird hunting. Are any of the pheasant farms still selling birds to individuals this late in the season? Glastonbury, Sals Hilltop, Sharon, Steadfast? I was also wondering if anyone uses gps tracking for their dogs in case they get lost. How expensive is that?

21-Jan-19
Smoothdraw your looking at $300 plus for a gps collar. I won one on EBay for a good price so start there.

23-Jan-19
My friend is on his second. They have a ton of energy - you will need to run them.

Most incredible nose work I ever saw.

Placed a pigeon in a 15 acre field and the dog found it in like 5 minutes - ran back and forth and bolted over the bird and came to a sreeching halt- flipped around 180 degrees and held that nose over the bird - amazing

23-Jan-19

Richm444's embedded Photo
Richm444's embedded Photo

23-Jan-19

Outdoorsman's embedded Photo
Outdoorsman's embedded Photo
That's a good looking pup you have there! We went with the GSP as well after we had to put down our old lab.

23-Jan-19
Good looking pup likewise. It's only been 5days or so, a lot of work but man is she coming around fast

23-Feb-19
call Steve Hopko at quail ridge kennels in Stafford , Ct he has over 30 yrs breeding GSP's Several NAVHDA versatile champions in his breeding program.

24-Feb-19

>>---CTCrow--->'s embedded Photo

24-Feb-19

24-Feb-19

I have 2 books I've has fue over 20 years. I bought them when I got my Brittany. I found them very helpful. You are welcome to them if you want them.
I have 2 books I've has fue over 20 years. I bought them when I got my Brittany. I found them very helpful. You are welcome to them if you want them.
Them fat fingers type whatever they want. Sorry for typos.

04-Nov-19

My son took her out hunting today. She pointed out her first bird. He flushed and shot, her retrieve though I guess is still a work in progress.

04-Nov-19
Nice looking pup! Yeah my Griffon is going on 3 and she refuses to retrieve. She likes to kill them though lol.

04-Nov-19
Awesome! Congrats

04-Nov-19

Ace's embedded Photo
Isabella
Ace's embedded Photo
Isabella
Love bird hunting with a dog. My Spinone is coming along nicely. She just turned 2.

05-Nov-19
I want one also. They are very expensive from what I've seen. They are absolutley beautiful and are great hunting dogs.

05-Nov-19
101 the breeder has a 2 1/2 y/o male that she is looking to re-home. Crate and gun trained. If you or anyone else is interested pm me and I'll get you the info.

05-Nov-19
Doesn't matter what the breed is if it doesn't listen to basic commands, it sucks the fun out of it. I have had pointers and flushers, both have their strong points. A good "whoa" command is invaluable when the adrenaline is running high....

07-Nov-19

How's the saying go..... Get your kid a hunting dog and........... after school hunt with his buddy

• Sitka Gear