Thornton 02-Dec-18
Thornton 02-Dec-18
Slate 03-Dec-18
Bodyman 03-Dec-18
Slate 03-Dec-18
Dafish 05-Dec-18
sitO 05-Dec-18
18-Nov-18
I have read a lot of debating about baiting I’m just gonna say this what does the rule books say Whatever they say is what you can do. That’s whats wrong with the world today you have people trying to rewrite laws that are as plain as plain gets but it dosent suit them as a person so they want to change it. First of all a law is a law and as long as you abide by it you are not breaking the law. As far as opinionated laws we’ll everybody has an opinion but when you start judging someone for doing what the laws say you can do well my friend you’ve got some major issues Obey the law your doing right. Disobey the law your doing wrong period nothing else to talk about To many people now trying to rewrite the United States constitution /amendments that were set by our for fathers but oh it dosent suit me or it offends me Well I say to that you people that try to rewrite the laws or think people who go by the laws aren’t hunters well in my opinion you’ve got too much time on your hands. You hunt the way you want too and don’t degrade anybody by hunting within the laws that are written in black and white and it does not mean that either of you are a better hunter than the other when you start saying stuff like that you’re just trying to paint a picture that makes you look better than someone else who follows and abides by the law As long as you hunt within the laws and not breaking the laws who gives a crap about how you killed the animal with or what food source you were hunting over. If you get enjoyment from hunting legally that’s great Stop putting people down for doing what the laws say you can do if you don’t like it well that’s fine you don’t have to do it but nobody is breaking the law hunting over a small food plot or a pile of corn It’s the same thing. The food plot wasn’t there you put it there to draw in deer you manipulated the situation in an area that you think will attract deer. Corn pile or whatever else you use legally is the same thing. Everybody has an opinion but don’t be talking down to someone who is not breaking the law and is hunting legally by means of the law. Like I tell everybody else if you don’t like the laws and your degrading people who use the law correctly but you don’t like it well my friend there are hundreds of planes that will take you right out of this great country and there’s nobody saying you can’t leave so I say go find you a place that suits you or accept the laws for what they are and don’t down talk people for abiding by them. Scents, treestands,pop up blinds, camouflage,decoys do you not think that’s an advantage. To all the law abiding hunters out there great hunting the rest of this season hope you all enjoy create memories and harvest a nice trophy of which you choose however you want to hunt it as long as it coincides with all hunting regulations and laws. To all the ones that think hunting over bait is wrong but legal in your state I say to you get out of your treestands take off your camouflage put away your scent controls and scent attractants and put away your compound bows Go get you a recurve bow and hunt like the Indians use too

18-Nov-18
Decoys are much more effective at bringing bucks into range vs corn during the rut IMO. That’s all I have to say about that............

18-Nov-18
SC x2

18-Nov-18

N2BUX's embedded Photo
N2BUX's embedded Photo
That post is too damn long

18-Nov-18
Here we go again

18-Nov-18
No........everyone is wore out on this subject. Wait until next Aug-Sept.

18-Nov-18
Is this thread considered baiting? Is it legal? Is it ethical?

;)

18-Nov-18
Sito, go get em!

18-Nov-18
Not worth it Jeff, it's pretty easy to tell if you're hunting or just training livestock...I'll leave it at that.

18-Nov-18
SC Country Boy if I stick a blue jay decoy in my front yard will I see more blue jays than I do with my bird feeder?

18-Nov-18
Paragraphs would be your friend. That’s a hard read.

18-Nov-18
You don't need paragraphs to read between the lines. Between the lines I read that "SC Country Boy likes to bait".

18-Nov-18
Too long. Cool, you like bait. Have at it, it’s legal.

It’s not my thing, but you’re free to do as you please.

I don’t know what your point was. Do what’s legal, you don’t have to tell us, we don’t care.

18-Nov-18
I am thinking the OP was wondering why we as hunters bash other hunters for the way they hunt. I think he might have put a little to much emphasis on the baiting part. Or at least that's what I got out of it. But yes, it seems he is a person that baits. I put out a little corn and put a camera on it just to see what I can get on camera. My kids and wife and I have a blast waiting just to see what's on the camera. Have been putting out corn for probably around 8 years. But have never shot a deer off of it. I didn't get around to putting out camera or corn this year. I respect a person's own choices on how they want to hunt. Baiting is not how I prefer to shoot a deer. I usually try to hunt the rut and do a spot and stalk type or rattle them in. But I think baiting vs. not baiting thing is out of hand. We have a "bait-free" meatpole. REALLY, WTF. That bothers me.

19-Nov-18
I'm fine with bait free. I remember the 80's before bait disrupted that natural movements of deer. Teaching a kid to sit over a bait pile isn't hunting.

19-Nov-18
There is absolutely nothing to be proud of shooting an animal that you tricked into standing in a very particular spot so one can take a shot. Just because its legal doesn't mean it's right. Based on the original posters rambling he thinks that if its legal it's ok no matter how morally debatable it is. Abortion is legal, does that mean ok?????

19-Nov-18
Is the horse dead yet.

19-Nov-18
So we're comparing baiting to abortion now? Take a couple of laps bud.

19-Nov-18
"To all the ones that think hunting over bait is wrong but legal in your state I say to you get out of your treestands take off your camouflage put away your scent controls and scent attractants and put away your compound bows Go get you a recurve bow and hunt like the Indians use too".

I doubt that anti-baters would choose to employ many of the Native American hunting strategies. This isn't the most credible source, but it gets my point across. Native Americans relied on hunting for survival and would have used any and all techniques to improve their efficiency.

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/377468-how-did-native-americans-hunt-deer-2.html

19-Nov-18
"There is absolutely nothing to be proud of shooting an animal that you tricked into standing in a very particular spot so one can take a shot."

I've got to say I've been proud of every single animal I've tricked into a spot for a shot. Done it a bunch with dove, ducks, geese, and deer. I'm actually proud of the skill I have to do this.

19-Nov-18
No I do not bait I do food plots it was just legal too bait where I’m from in SC for 4 years and I have yet to put out any attractants and won’t Apologize for all I have offended and sorry for long post all I was meaning was stop judging people that take deer in a legal manner that makes you no better judging or acting like your better than another hunter Yes it’s a skill to watch plan hang stands figure the trophy you are wanting out but it’s more luck than skill. Apologize again happy thanksgiving to all safe hunting to all and I hope all of you get the one your after

19-Nov-18
After one becomes a master then can stop baiting...

19-Nov-18
Most people I talk with about the topic don't mind a feeder that throws a pound a day or a small salt lick in front of a trail camera. Very few differentiate that with the people dumping dump truck loads of corn changing the deer movement for miles. I have one neighbor that has 7 piles visible from google earth in one cut bean field that I can see from one of my stands while hunting. I attempted to determine the size and they were all larger than a vehicle and several feet high. I would be fine if they changed the law to outlaw it completely, but at a minimum something does need to be done to limit the ridicules situations. I have heard of several other situations no different than mine. Yes a $3 salt lick or 7 dump truck loads are both legal, but no where near the same problem.

19-Nov-18
I work very hard to improve habitat to make the deer want to be on my place. Also dump corn to keep the does home...and use the does to bait the bucks. I never hunt over the corn just because I do not want to bump the does. Is this really baiting?...good or bad?

19-Nov-18
If you are a sissy, then bait. If not, then don’t. It’s really that simple. Don’t apologize for it. Don’t make excuses or false equivalents about it. Just own it. You don’t want the challenge of trying to kill a deer without bait. It’s legal, so don’t apologize, just quit talking about it.

20-Nov-18
To each his own, as long as it is legal. And as my wise grandmother used to say..."Now, now, there's no need for name calling...and if you do it again, I'll get the yard stick!" (her weapon of choice).

21-Nov-18
You're right. I'm sorry. I shouldn't assume that everyone who baits is a coward. They probably just don't have enough time to try to kill a nice one the old fashioned way.

21-Nov-18
Hey Reid , shoot me a pin drop to the baited fields I’d love to help you out . I have a little secret potion that will deter his corn pile and put bucks in your lap .

21-Nov-18
Baiting doesn't work. Couple years ago the combine unloading auger got left on and left a half mile long bait pile...never saw one buck on it all winter.

29-Nov-18
I don’t bait. I just pay the farmer to leave a few acres of standing corn and sometimes I plant small food plots to hunt. Other times I just catch the deer on one of the two trails coming into the field. I don’t know why anyone would want to corn deer and get them in a pattern. I prefer to hunt Whitetails that aren’t conditioned to corn piles, one day there here and the next there 10 miles away on a different field. Yep I love hunting real, wild, free ranging, fair chase whiteatails that you never know where they are going to be....

29-Nov-18
Orlando I’d say it’s not hunting over bait but you’re baiting the deer onto your property. Without your bait the deer would be on the neighbors corn getting domesticated and likely killed by some fat gun hunter. Really if you weren’t such a cheater you’d spend a bunch of money on a Kubota, get yourself a cultipacker and a few bags of fall draw. Then those does wouldn’t be conditioned to your bait and you would be hunting just like the native Americans did....

29-Nov-18
Cant wait till all the oaks, persimmons, and pears I planted start producing. Is that considered baiting?

29-Nov-18
habitat improvement

29-Nov-18
Gobbler only if you pick up the pears and move them somewhere not under the tree. ;)

29-Nov-18
Link, didn’t know Indians had Kubota’s....missed that part in history class. FWIW I do plant food plots and don’t hunt over them or corn. And have planted CRP and over 3000 trees. I spend a lot of time on habitat improvement and very little hunting. My goal is to develop the best cover around. We are surrounded by ag. So deer food is really not an issue. If deer hit a corn pile or the neighbors silage pile middle of the day or night doesn’t matter to me. I don’t hunt over either of them.

29-Nov-18
Link, one more thing...I’m more of a John Deere guy. Not many Kubota’s round here.

29-Nov-18
Dang, I've been planting oak, persimmon, and pear like Ksgobbler... but I've also planted apple, crabapple, che, choke cherry, and jujube. Does it matter how many? Is there a limit or line that makes it cheating? Am I a despicable?

29-Nov-18
The more you plant the less cheating it becomes... think about it. If you want to cheat, just have the only apple tree in the county. Deer will live under it for several weeks.

29-Nov-18
So if I put out 32 corn piles is it then ok? ;) Imo hunting corn is just that. You can hunt bedding area, you can hunt a field edge, you can hunt a travel route/funnel and you can hunt corn. All are places that tend to draw deer. A corn pile conditions deer no more than a plot or trees that drop food. Sure if you drive the same sendero every day with a corn spreader ringing a bell eventually the deer will come to the bell or noise of the spreader. Outside of south Texas who is doing that? Where I live corn attracts the does and bucks as well, so do my food plots, so do quarter sections of wheat. I’ve got 8 or so bucks that frequent the corn behind my house. In the last 45 days I’ve had 5-10 buck pictures or seen them in daylight. I have two mature bucks, each have appeared once in daylight. I suppose if I’m conditioning them it’s so they’ll appear during the night? Some of you need to stick to your decoys, food plots and baited bear hunts and lose your attitude.

29-Nov-18
Why we are discussing this. Many that badmouth corn and consider it not a fair chase have no problems talking about checking and pulling camera cards. Is it fair chase to use technology to keep tabs on your bucks? What do the “real” hunters say?

29-Nov-18
Guy with the attitude tells other to lose the attitude. Typical internet stuff.

29-Nov-18
My post was sort of in jest. I really don't care how anyone else hunts. I honestly don't care. I figure telling someone that they are hunting wrong... is like telling someone they are having sex with their wife wrong. It's none of my business what brings them satisfaction in either situation.

01-Dec-18
Still trying to drop a bait free buck.

02-Dec-18
I can’t even hunt my own property because the guys on both sides bait and therefore the deer only come by when they are headed to or from baitpiles

02-Dec-18
If the geniuses running the state would make it illegal, you wouldn't have that problem anymore

02-Dec-18
Aren't most deer we hunt coming from or going to something?

02-Dec-18
True, but deer that used to travel long distances from food to bed are now staying on smaller pieces of property. Corning deer disrupts previous natural travel patterns. I own the first beanfield a mile and a half from a major deer sanctuary. My neighbor corns deer and often gets bucks in camera that never come the extra half mile to my place. Luckily he and I are in agreement of what size to shoot and we trade pictures and info. Otherwise I'd never know what potential could be out there because he gets some huge ones in camera

02-Dec-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
That deer sanctuary is for sale...for $6.9 million

03-Dec-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

03-Dec-18
There you go slate thort can hook you up on some cheap land

03-Dec-18
Frank it’s little outside my price range. I wish.

05-Dec-18

Dafish's embedded Photo
Dafish's embedded Photo

05-Dec-18
I think that doe stole all the make up from the KS Facebook H&F page

• Sitka Gear