Trebarker 15-Dec-18
Trebarker 16-Dec-18
Trebarker 16-Dec-18
Trebarker 16-Dec-18
Trebarker 16-Dec-18
Trebarker 16-Dec-18
Trebarker 16-Dec-18
20-Nov-18
Day 14- Temps in the 20's, little to no wind out of the NNW. Forecasted high in the mid to upper 40's with the wind switching to out of the SW as the temperature rises. Going to head to Stand #4 this morning and roll the dice that there will be a roaming-seeking buck come thru there from the South.

The deer stayed out in the main field late last night because there was a lot of activity in the area. Farmers were busy cutting beans since it has finally gotten dry enough to do so, saw them as I was leaving on two sides of our ground still cutting after dark. Not sure which direction the does ended up going, I am banking on the "seek" phase after seeing what I saw the last couple of hunts.

Could very well be my last chance today. Going to stay to late morning, then switch locations in the afternoon.

20-Nov-18
7:33- Frosty fridgid morning. Got in without waking the dogs today, good start. Got to my frost covered stand, had to scrape some off the seat before sitting down. Very quiet and crisp out.

First deer seen, just a few minutes ago, walked timber edge and went into cover below............ You guessed it stand #3 :)

20-Nov-18
good luck today

20-Nov-18
8:09- Doe with twin fawns came in from the SW, she stopped when she got 20yds South of me before crossing the ditch. She didn't like something. Could see her scanning the area and hear her sniffing. I could see my breath going SE away from them, don't think she smelled me. Am wondering if she saw my breath?

20-Nov-18
Does went back SW, didn't like what they saw or smelled

20-Nov-18
8:20- Nice looking buck just came out if the timber from the NE bedding area, walked the timber edge, again under #3 within shooting range, passed the crossing, entered the timber going down into the bowl, last seen walking under stand #1 headed West.

20-Nov-18
8:40- The thin horned 10pt from last night just came out of the timber NW of me about 40 yds, walked the edge heading my way, no time to get stood up and gather the bow. When he got down below and just to my West he heard me shift to take pictures of him. He went back to the North where he came from flagging goodbye to me. Should have just sit still and let him pass.

20-Nov-18
Sounds like a good morning so far. I'm picking up mid day action on a few of my spots/cameras...not a lot, but it only takes one!

20-Nov-18

Trebarker's embedded Photo
9:07- Yea, not too bad as far as sightings, too bad the hunter ain't doing better.

See how this works, picture taken with phone off the camera view finder.

20-Nov-18
9:25- Two dogs seen cruising the North edge of the field, they too went under stand #3

20-Nov-18
9:45- Doe and fawns from earlier this morning crossed the ditch East of me and ran across the Main field. A fawn just ran under me and joined them at the crossing.

Around 9:30, the dogs came up out of the bowl headed my way. When they got to the trail the buck took, they took off NW on it running obviously on his trail

20-Nov-18
10:09- Dogs came back, worked the creek edge to just SW of me. Made a lip squeal which brought them over under me. I drilled the lead dog right in the middle of his back with a 8" long tree limb about 3" in diameter. Both dogs lit out yelping and yiking like I had hit both of them. They were last seen sprinting East past the cedar grove making good time getting away.

20-Nov-18
nice work!

20-Nov-18
Will see if it was good work or not because they made a lot of racket. Am pretty sure the does were bedded down along the creek South of me and saw them coming. They circled around me and ran North just before I saw the dogs myself. They knew the dogs were coming.

20-Nov-18
11:22- Am down for a few hours and will come back after a break, and a foot thaw. Insulated boots and socks failed me, lower digits are numb.

20-Nov-18

Frost on my bow already
Frost on my bow already
Heavy frost on the field, air was damp
Heavy frost on the field, air was damp
Sun coming up SE of me
Sun coming up SE of me
First buck seen walking towards Stand #3
First buck seen walking towards Stand #3

20-Nov-18

Just missed capturing the picture of the buck walking under #3, attach this picture to the left side of the last pic, that was how close he was.
Just missed capturing the picture of the buck walking under #3, attach this picture to the left side of the last pic, that was how close he was.
Second buck seen walking the North field edge
Second buck seen walking the North field edge
In target range for the other stand
In target range for the other stand
Nice deer
Nice deer

20-Nov-18

Right out in front of #3
Right out in front of #3
Going down into the bowl
Going down into the bowl

20-Nov-18

Picture I shared with phone earlier. He had very little mass, pic makes him look bigger than he is
Picture I shared with phone earlier. He had very little mass, pic makes him look bigger than he is
Walking towards the trail he came in on. The seat cushion made noise. I had no time to stand or gather the bow when he came in, would not have shot anyhow
Walking towards the trail he came in on. The seat cushion made noise. I had no time to stand or gather the bow when he came in, would not have shot anyhow
Looking back my way
Looking back my way
I'm outta here!
I'm outta here!

20-Nov-18

Dogs hunting the North field edge
Dogs hunting the North field edge
Dogs headed South just before the trail the buck was on
Dogs headed South just before the trail the buck was on
Does running across the main field
Does running across the main field
Oldest doe checking out the scene from the middle of the field
Oldest doe checking out the scene from the middle of the field

20-Nov-18

Two fawns out ahead of the doe
Two fawns out ahead of the doe
Doe fawn running underneath me
Doe fawn running underneath me
Fawn running out to join the doe
Fawn running out to join the doe
Skinheads at the crossing
Skinheads at the crossing

20-Nov-18

Only picture on this camera (by stand #4) since 11-11-18
Only picture on this camera (by stand #4) since 11-11-18
Note the time and date on pic, match it up to the descriptions above
Note the time and date on pic, match it up to the descriptions above
I would shoot at this one, picture is just past the crossing
I would shoot at this one, picture is just past the crossing
Does seen running across the field this morning
Does seen running across the field this morning

20-Nov-18
Afternoon hunt- I have been back out here since about 3:00. The wind is out of the SW, 10-15mph at times. Am back in the hedgerow/cedar shelterbelt along the Northside with the wind in my face. Am not anticipating a bunch of activity this afternoon and evening, in fact I came real close to staying at the house. Guess we will see .

20-Nov-18
4:28- Just had four doe fawns cross thru the hedgerow about 10yds to my right. Sounds like there are more coming

20-Nov-18
5:00- There are seven deer out in the field now, three came out from the timber down by #4. Been hearing quail NW of me, the covey just flushed flying East. Dont hear anything moving over there. Sun is setting.

20-Nov-18
Ended up being 6 fawns and 2 adult does including the limping doe. They fed back and forth across the field eventually coming back to the Northside together. Right at last light they started East out about 30 yards from the tree row. I followed behind them, they never knew I was there until I walked thru some dry leaves near the truck. They watched me take off the camo, then headed South.

20-Nov-18

Fawns after they busted thru the hedgerow
Fawns after they busted thru the hedgerow

24-Nov-18
Drove across Kansas on Wednesday. Saw evidence of many car/deer accidents, carcasses in the ditch. We saw many does out feeding mid day, saw a nice buck out in the middle of a waterway with no cover anywhere near him. He had his head up and ears perked up towards us as we drove by him in Rice Co. Had a flock of pheasants fly across the road in front of me in Eastern Finney Co. , was nice to see so many birds together. Heading back East today, will see what we see this time.

24-Nov-18
Eastbound lane, large flock of snow geese in Hamilton Co, ZERO live deer in 326 miles, five fresh road killed deer, five road killed skunks, one road kill coyote. May try to get one more hunt in tomorrow before returning to work.

25-Nov-18
Day 15- It's 46F with a NNW wind gusting up to 20mph. They say we are in for a blizzard starting by 9am. I'm headed to the woods, to see what happens during the weather change.

25-Nov-18
6:10- Settled into #3 stand, the wind is going to be an issue. Doesn't feel to bad temp wise, but the tree is waving around a lot.

25-Nov-18
6:20- Dogs barking North of me.

25-Nov-18
6:30- Two pit bulls just ran by out in front of me, still hear dogs barking up North of me.

25-Nov-18
7:10- Doe fawn just came out in enclosed field from the NW. She went along the slough SE out of view. Wind is really kicking up and temp is dropping.

25-Nov-18
7:30- Two coyotes just chased the fawn around the enclosed field, the doe went SW and the coyotes went NW into the bedding area. Wondering now if it was the coyotes now instead of the pitbulls, it was low light.

25-Nov-18
Do you worry about shooting in this wind? I've practiced in mild cross wind and didnt like the results.

25-Nov-18
8:45- The doe fawn circled around to the SW then ended up out in the main field South of me. I turned to listen to and watch the tree tops that were cracking and popping in the wind behind me. When I looked back South for the deer, she was gone.

BH- yes the wind is a concern, but I have 1/2 mile of timber between it and me, at ground level its not too bad. Up here in the tree it is getting dangerous

25-Nov-18
Be safe Randy. Woods are dangerous in the wind.

25-Nov-18
9:11- Snow has arrived. I climbed down when I saw a large branch break and fall out of a tree not far from mine. Wind is gusting big time. It is snowing pretty hard now, time to be inside.

25-Nov-18
Six and a half hours later, there are 2-3 ft deep snow drifts where I started out this morning in nearly 50f temps. Ahhhh Kansas

15-Dec-18
Day 16- Dec 15th, it was 57f when I left the truck at 2:45. There is virtually no wind. The walk in was muddy as heck, spring thaw a few months early! Saw lots of tracks but most looked several days old. All of the scrapes and licking branches along the hedgerow were abandoned, inactive. I changed the memory cards on two of cameras before settling into stand #3 for this afternoon hunt. The crossing has had some heavy traffic thru it, is too bad there isnt a tree big enough there to put a stand in. They say it is supposed to be this warm all week, we shall see. I took off the last week of the year but if the cold returns I won't be out here. I simply do not enjoy hunting the cold days. Is very quiet out, can hear the rail cars clicking on the tracks 7 miles from here.

Eleven years ago today my good friend Beau Arndt was murdered by a road hunting poacher. They were driving around shooting at whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted, with no concern about who owned the land, who might be in their line of fire, without any concern about the laws of the state of Kansas nor federal migratory laws. I will never forget Beau, nor will I ever forgive the POS that took him from us. I hope it haunts his mind daily and in his sleep at night.

15-Dec-18
4:03- 100+ flock of Canadas just flew over from the South, saw a bunch sitting on a pond dam on my drive here today. Still haven't seen many snows this year. I saw a lot of them out in Western Ks Thanksgiving week.

15-Dec-18
4:25- Have does East and West of me, all four came out of the two bedding areas at the same time.

15-Dec-18
4:31- Three more does just joined the first two East of me. One of the does is the biggest does I've seen all season.

15-Dec-18
4:56- All seven does are SW of me now, headed to check the neighboring welfare food store across the creek. The five deer East of me passed about 35yds out in front of me. Big O Doe was a 3yr old fat bottom girl, she had not been seen yet. The two deer that had been browsing the enclosed field just went thru the crossing heading the same direction the others took.

15-Dec-18
5:05- Six more deer came out of the timber by #1 over in the enclosed field. One doe is staring my way.

15-Dec-18
Lots of action, I think Beau is moving them around for ya...good luck Randy.

15-Dec-18
5:22- All of the does that were West of me went towards the SE across the main field. There is a uncut milo field that direction I am guessing they are headed for. Just about out of light and time tonight. See another deer to my West now.

15-Dec-18
5:53- Back at the truck. Two more fawns came from the North under and just West of my tree. They went into the enclosed field continuing South. When I walked out, there were six deer in the Main field South of my tree. Looks like the orange army bypassed the skinheads here in this area this year anyhow. The deer I mentioned in the previous post was a big bodied deer but I never did see who it was. Traveling solo, I would guess it was a buck, will see next time I check my cameras, it was in front of one of them.

15-Dec-18

Trail at the crossing
Trail at the crossing
New rub close to #3
New rub close to #3
Big O
Big O
Last six deer that came out at sunset
Last six deer that came out at sunset
A few pictures from this afternoon

15-Dec-18

Crossing cam
Crossing cam
Survivors

16-Dec-18

More survivors

16-Dec-18
Day17- Again a 55F day in December! There is a breeze today out of the NE. Am settled into Stand #4 down in the SW corner of the property due to the wind. The trail down below this stand is much more obvious today than it has been, somebody has been using it regularly. The wind is right for this stand if nothing else so we will roll with that excuse for being here.

16-Dec-18
3:55- Two does just came out of the NE bedding area into the main field about 30yds East of #3. First wildlife seen so far.

16-Dec-18
4:09- More deer in the field further East along the hedgerow, cannot see who they are, looks like two from here.

16-Dec-18
5:00- The deer seen earlier along the North side of the property browsed their way East until the neighbor cruised his property on his SxS which pushed the deer back West. They were last seen going under #3 into the timber. The chances of having any deer come from the South is slim as another neighbor just walked his dogs by yelling commands at them the whole way. Any deer closeby that way will go South now. Sun is setting, thinking it's going to just be another afternoon getting fresh air.

16-Dec-18

Trail under #4
Trail under #4
First two does
First two does
Deer seen further East after first two