onX Maps
bear info for a non-res?
Minnesota
Contributors to this thread:
NEIAbowhunter 23-Nov-18
Inshart 25-Nov-18
South Farm 26-Nov-18
23-Nov-18
Hiya, I live in Iowa not too terribly far from Rochester. I've been wanting to do a black bear hunt for a few years. Wisconsin or Minnesota are my obvious choices for proximity. I've got some acquaintances in Winton/Ely that do Boundary Water canoe outfitting that might also be a possibility to hunt up there too which looks like 22. Looks like it'll take 3 years to draw 25/31 or maybe 1 year if I hunt the BWCAW. I'm considering DIY but if there are any good outfitters I'd be interested in hearing about them. Also, if I went DIY in the non-quota areas are there decent bear populations where I might focus my search? Thanks in advance

25-Nov-18
PM sent

26-Nov-18
Keep in mind you can't bait in area 22 (BWCA), so even though the chance of drawing is almost 100% the chance of seeing a bear is quite the opposite...not that it can't be done. I'm guessing 31 will take 4 points to draw the way it's going:( Used to be every other year, but no more..

The no quota area can be good as there's a lot of bears there and well fed, but my advice is rather than join the army of other non-residents in Chengwatana and Nemadji, where EVERYBODY GOES, go do some door knocking and see if you can't get some private land somewhere.

• Sitka Gear