leftee 29-Nov-18
Rambo 29-Nov-18
Dmac 30-Nov-18
Dixie 30-Nov-18
Kansasclipper 30-Nov-18
MichaelArnette 01-Dec-18
Matte 01-Dec-18
24-Nov-18
Well here it is late November. Have not seen or had a good deer on camera for ahwile until yesterday. I then bump a good one, but the camera on the trail did not seem to function. Then last night another decent buck shows up with a wounded leg. I would have shot him due to his injury but.....Somehow somewhere I lost my range finder. Strange I still have binoculars but range finder went missing. Then headed to work this morning on the side of the road is a good buck (age wise) skull capped. So here I sit thinking of this season and all the mishaps so far. I am still glad to be outdoors so all in all things are good

What are your mishaps this season?

24-Nov-18
Don't feel bad man we all have stuff happen. A week or 2 ago I got tired of passing on does that were being trailed by small bucks so I shot one, only so realize she was being chased by a nice 8 pointer. He appeared over the hill to see his girlfriend had vanished and went back the way he came. I'm certain if I'd let that doe pass I'd have gotten a shot at him. Live and learn lol.

24-Nov-18
Oh that would suck.

24-Nov-18
He wasnt real big maybe 130" if lucky but I'm more of a meat hunter and I hunt public land so those opportunities can be hard to come by. To top it off I hit a limb and got poor penetration, only 1 lung so I did not recover that doe. She was alive in her bed 4 hours later but I saw her again a few days ago with her fawn so I feel better that she survived.

24-Nov-18
More rifle shots right at dusk. Sure wish I knew what was really going on.

24-Nov-18
I have heard those rifle reports every year. It's the per dawn shots that seem to upset me the most. If only the DOW&P could delay the coyote hunting till Dec. but that must be too much to ask for. No high power weapons in a vehicles in Oct. and Nov. I was setting in a creek bottom12 - 15 years ago in a known area for illegal activity. I saw a truck lights on moving south in the cut bean field 2 shots then the truck tore out of there hit the north road gunned it west a quarter of a mile and 2 different guns cut loose a volley of 5 more shots. Shotguns only for Oct.and Nov. lets stop poaching. Seems to me it's a no brainer.

25-Nov-18
Well I do agree there it is just kind of disheartening on a new piece of ground (2016). I really want to fly a drone after the shot and see if I can video what exactly is going on.

25-Nov-18
If you dont like the current laws, go to a commission meeting and tell your story. You can only enforce what the laws are.

25-Nov-18
I would agree with going to the meetings we all need to go to more meetings. I strongly opposed the change in the youth season. Spoke as a dad made alot of good points but it didn't change a thing. I have nothing but respect for KDWPT officers and staff.

25-Nov-18
It has been tried to close coyote in certain time periods before. They say it can't be done because of the status of the yote as something other than a game animal. Personally would not like not being able to knock some down in the fall.

25-Nov-18
Proposing some pretty heavy regulations on a lot of good people, hoping to change bad people who are already ignoring plenty of regulations.

Sounds like gun control?

25-Nov-18
Coyote hunters are not the issue I agree with that ?? percent. I'm thinking drone with thermal imaging camera is on the Christmas list.

25-Nov-18

25-Nov-18
I second Michael’s thoughts. I’m planning on calling some coyotes today, and blasting em’ with the .243. No rifles in the fall certainly wouldn’t fly with a lot of folks.

25-Nov-18
The other day I had a pretty good fall and hit my bow pretty hard. It was dark and I didn't feel like checking it because I was tired. The next morning which was the 24th I shot at a buck and missed at 20 yards. 20. I said to myself "hey people miss. It's ok let's get the next one." So as I'm looking for that arrow another bigger buck is on the move coming right towards me. He stops and looks at me from 30 yards while I'm trying to stay tucked next to a tree half my size lol. I raise my bow and shoot. You guessed it, whiffed again. So I go to town and buy a target and a couple more arrows and get screwed back in at hit the woods by noon. I sit and wait. At 5:00 I watch a kid with a crossbow walk behind me at about 100 yards or so and at 5:25 p.m. a dang fine buck walks out of the thick at about 60 yards and heads my way. Everything is perfect. All I have to do is put an arrow through him when he stops at 20 yards. He stops at 20 yards asking me to smoke em. I shanked again. I packed my bags and drove back to Oklahoma. This is just one of my misfortunes this year. I'm ready for duck season

25-Nov-18
On a high note I did see 34 bucks and over 100 does on a combined 6 day hunt. All on public grounds. Great experience for any deer hunter.

25-Nov-18
What do you mean "I shanked again?"

25-Nov-18
I completely missed again. It's embarrassing and I don't want to talk to anyone from work because they are all going to want to hear about my trip.

25-Nov-18
Had a spot on public land around Paola sitting in the ground blind around a low corner in a field of tall grass on the edge of a pond. Plenty of rubs and trails. A big bodied 3 point popped out from behind a thick spot in the field and walked past broadside at 25 yards. Begged me to shoot him. My buddy and I knew there’s a big 12 that was following this 3’s trail last week. I pass on the shot and he walks away. 5 minutes later he comes bounding out from where he went in and back the way he came. I wait 2-3 minutes to decide that big buck may have kicked him out so i reposition my seat for a better shot into that corner. I get the seat all adjusted and get sat quick and quiet. I look up and see a nice 8 looking straight at me. Busted..

29-Nov-18
Well this season just got worse. My best friend hunting buddy my dog Gunner died Wednesday. I don't know if I will get back to hunting this year. Pretty heavy loss.

29-Nov-18
Sorry to hear that Matte, they become family...hard to lose one.

29-Nov-18
I'm sorry to hear that Matte.

29-Nov-18
As a fellow dog lover I feel for you. The last ten years I was married my Ex said I was always wrong. I have an almost six year old Brittany and she thinks I am always right. I am pretty sure both my Brit and Ex are incorrect. There is nothing like the way a dog becomes family.

29-Nov-18
Sad about your dog,one of the worst pains. Only time and eventually another dog seems to help.

29-Nov-18
I've often said that a dog is Gods gift to man(us). I've had a number of good dogs that God has placed in my path. I loved each one that I have cared for. After a loss He has another willing to take the place of your best friend. That is how the circle of life works. I am in the thought that we will see our dogs for they are waiting for us as our family. Still sad but go find the one that God has in place of your buddy. Gods gift to man is a dog.

30-Nov-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo
Passed this buck Sunday eve with bow . So called buddy of a buddy shot him Friday with rifle

30-Nov-18
Two days ago my wife dropped me off at my stand that is hidden in some old round bales on the edge of a cut bean field. She then drives to a corner of the mile and waits for me till dark. Anyway she told me she saw a drone fly over her. I thought she was crazy. But last night I saw it also and she saw it again. I call KDWPT and ask if they were using drones to help with poachers. All the lady would say is yes we have bought some drones but she didn't have any idea if they were being used yet or not. I personally think this is awesome. I have ran off so many road hunters it is unbelievable. So if the Rangers can get some of them that would be great. Oh this particular place I hunt is North of Turon. Report all poachers.

30-Nov-18
If a drone flies over me I would have to mistake it for duck.

01-Dec-18
Completely missed a shot opportunity at a nice 140s buck on public land because I was fiddling with my phone and he came behind me in the grass quietly

01-Dec-18
Thanks guys for the kind words.

There are some amazing drones that can cover alot of miles and with Thermal Cameras along with super zoom cams (dang near satellite worthy) it maybe a future tool for Wardens. Imagine covering 30 square miles at once. That along with new shot detection units there might be some deturance. Social media seems to be the best way to catch poachers though.

• Sitka Gear