DaleHajas 01-Dec-18
George D. Stout 01-Dec-18
Bob McArthur 04-Dec-18
DaleHajas 04-Dec-18
Bowhunting 5C 04-Dec-18
DaleHajas 04-Dec-18
RC 04-Dec-18
25-Nov-18
Today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette had an article of a new aiming point on deer. In the middle of it QDMA stated recovery rates for firearm shots 97 percent, 14-16 percent for modern archery gear and half of deer shot with a recurve and longbows are not recovered. If we are that bad how are even allowed to hunt with our non lethal weapons? I must be a freak recovering all but two in 35 years with trad gear. This article is in the Outdoor section www.POST-GAZETTE.COM

25-Nov-18
I smell a rat here. Wonder how much was edited prior to print?? The QDMA crowd visits here so Im asking for a response from the QDMA?

26-Nov-18
I'm going to ask hat tthe UBP not support anything QDMA does.

26-Nov-18
Anybody have a link to the actual article? I checked the site and the most recent outdoor article was from Sept.

26-Nov-18
I don't see it either. But absolutely no way firearms is as high as 97% either in real world conditions. Junk science at its worst.

26-Nov-18
Rut the article states a study published in the science journal PLOS ONE in 2014 found that of 2,179 deer shot with firearm, 97 percent were killed and recovered. Among deer shot with modern archery gear , QDMA pins the wounding rate at 14-16 percent,and half of all deer shot with recurve and longbows are wounded and not recovered. I can't it up on their finicky website. Some guys on Leatherwall found it. I read it in the hard copy.

26-Nov-18
That's a bunch of hogwash! 50% Wound rate? If I wounded half of the deer I shot at, I would hang up the bow for good.

27-Nov-18
Well, that's hard to believe! No way rifle is 97 and stickbows 50%!

27-Nov-18
Qdma? Pfff, who cares. They didn't embarrass me one bit. Sounds like the way the study was conducted and evaluated made for skewed results that are far from the actual wounding rates of users of those weapons outside the study.

27-Nov-18
Wonder what the recovery rate is on squirrels. I think animals have to actually be shot at in order to have any type of recovery rate...

27-Nov-18
Qdma is all about deer farming...

27-Nov-18
Really, who cares what those idiots say. Ask them about CWD and the origins of that in Pa, you will hear crickets soon enough.

29-Nov-18
When I shot trad I was pretty darn good. I put a lot of effort into it and when I was at my best I could instinctively shoot a coke bottle at 50 yards. However hunting was a whole other story.

I have taken deer, caribou and a black bear with my recurve and never lost one animal. However, I have made some poor shots from loosing concentration, looking up, dropping my arm, or not picking a hair. That loss percentage is probably a bit high, but it's IMO its spot on for poor hits.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here. More than likely the folks hanging on this site are the 25% who shoot all year, know their limits, and put a great deal of effort into hunting. That said, the other 75% IMO have no business hunting with a traditional bow.

29-Nov-18

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
I shoot ok too...

29-Nov-18
Thats purty darn gud!

30-Nov-18
Looks like you hit the ten ring on that fire extinguisher too.

QDMA? Who cares what they think!

30-Nov-18
Looks like you hit the ten ring on that fire extinguisher too.

Nah, Hajas was here shooting one night.

01-Dec-18
Chuck those are actually my arrows in that target. Dang it Roy quit funnin!

01-Dec-18
PALongbow, be careful what you wish for. Mandatory proficiency testing would be a nightmare at best, and would keep many people from hunting who area actually quite competent...try shooting with someone looking over your shoulder and knowing the results means hunting or no hunting. Add to that, who makes the rules for the testing and to what end? Testing parameters can be designed to eliminate a large number of bowhunters. No thanks. First of all, who gives two shits what QDMA says with their disinformation ads. They don't speak for me and basically are what RC calls deer farmers.

04-Dec-18
I have to pass a proficiency test to hunt the UBP 5C Hunt each year. I have to pass a proficiency test every year in order to hunt in my township's controlled hunt. I have to pass a proficiency test every 5 years to hunt the land trust. Proficiency tests are no big deal if you're shooting all year.

04-Dec-18
You pass a test to shoot the bull? :)

04-Dec-18
Bob, doesnt the UBP move the target up for you?

04-Dec-18
Nah he gets the BIG target:) the other side says Mail Pouch:)

04-Dec-18

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
I've seen Bob shoot.

Not bad, 7 out of 12 shots hit foam.

Very impressive..

• Sitka Gear