Straight Arrow 02-Dec-18
Wild Bill 02-Dec-18
Will 03-Dec-18
Wild Bill 04-Dec-18
jax2009r 04-Dec-18
Zack 04-Dec-18
Will 04-Dec-18
25-Nov-18
I’m not that great with navigation in the woods especially state land... I recently got turned around again in the woods... can anyone recommend a hunting related gps app I can download to my smartphone...? One that is user friendly

25-Nov-18
Look at the latest feature on the home page.

25-Nov-18
Google maps works great and always carry a backup charger in your pack. I used to use an app called antler insanity, never any issues

25-Nov-18
I still use antler insanity and also use On X

25-Nov-18
Even the best GPS has a lag in updating maps. However, I have found that the bearing to a destination is always faster and accurate. Therefore, get the bearing, set your compass and follow it, rather than the GPS map. Heavy leaf cover and overcast days degrade the accuracy of any GPS.

A good practice in GPS use is to search for geocaches. https://www.geocaching.com/play

There's also a good book on the subject,"Outdoor Navigation with GS", by Stephen W. Hinch. Thorough with diagrams and clear explanations.

25-Nov-18
Learn to navigate on your own and not rely on something artificial. Start by taking a reading on your compass When you leave your vehicle. That way you know which way you are heading in so that when you come out you know that you have to head in opposite direction. Learn to read the sky (sun, moon or stars). None of this is as hard as it seems

25-Nov-18
I have all those fancy apps and I find myself always using the free plane Jane Google Maps.

26-Nov-18
If you have an iphone use its Maps App. It will take you right back to your “parked car”. No brainer. Almost too easy!

26-Nov-18
Pin point your parking spot when you leave so you can get back to it as well.

26-Nov-18
What are you trying to achieve? A bread crumb trail back to your car.....or marking spots along the way? My son uses Onx Maps and loves it for marking sign, stands, etc.

If you just want a bread crumb trail....you can use MapMyHike app.

26-Nov-18
I can't remember the last time I used anything to move around the NW corner. Maine and New Mexico I use my Garmin GPS.

26-Nov-18
i use a garmin Rhino....works great ,...has a radio and you can send your location to another rhino user

26-Nov-18

SmoothieJonez's Link
I use the Bushnell BackTrack HuntTrack GPS, which also includes a compass. Can't tell you how many times it has saved me. There are areas in deep woods that not all cellphones get service, which makes your GPS app a no go. The Bushnell BTHT connects to 11 satellites. It has 5 waypoints and a big arrow pointing in the direction you want to walk back to. There's a similar BackTrack that has 3 waypoints & compass for around $50 (video clip attached) that I also have as a backup. It's small, compact, reliable, big readable images & most importantly easy to use. Highly recommend if venturing out to places you're unfamiliar with.

02-Dec-18
I use OnX Maps and like it but wish I could find an old pin on (brass) compas! Battery life on my I Phone 6S is poor, so I carry a small power pack and my new Apple 8 too. The standard compass on the phone app works great too! It's on the same app as the calculator and

02-Dec-18
Straight Arrow,

They're on ebay.

03-Dec-18
I carry a compass - worst case, you just work back towards the road you started on.

That said, I use OnX on my phone and when in new areas I also use a GPS. It's redundant, but works for me.

04-Dec-18
Since we are talking about not getting lost, and carrying a compass, they are especially useful when treestand hunting. When you shoot a deer and they run out of sight, it is very helpful if you mark the last sight of them with a compass bearing from your tree. Since in many cases the terrain looks different from the view from the stand, a bearing helps take you to the last location the deer was visible. It's not always needed, but can help in a difficult tracking situation and only takes a second to do.

04-Dec-18
ball compass on your coat is great....even when you have a GPS...its not about getting lost sometimes it is about walking the easiest was or shortest..they are hard to find believe or not...I just bought 6 on amazon....gotta search ball compass....

04-Dec-18
Learning how to use a compass and having one with you on bigger woods is good. The best I have found is to use a true GPS unit. Phone apps tend to suck battery quickly and aren't as accurate. I have a newer Garmin that works great and batteries last. I use when I'm in bigger woods. I have gotten pretty turned around when fog rolled in once and app on phone got me out but battery was nearly dead by that time.

04-Dec-18
Jax - just make sure you put it on the side of your coat AWAY from your bow string... dont ask how I learned this :) Wild Bill - that's an awesome point. Plus, it gives you something to do waiting to get down, which is awesome to help prevent tracking to early. Good one!

• Sitka Gear