Bgarrow 07-Dec-18
Rackem 07-Dec-18
Wild Bill 07-Dec-18
Wild Bill 07-Dec-18
Bigbuckbob 07-Dec-18
Bigbuckbob 07-Dec-18
101stRecon 08-Dec-18
01-Dec-18
The worst thing DEEP ever did was allow crossbows as part of bow season. Now everybody’s a “bowhunter”. If you’re older or handicapped I understand. If you’re a young guy... lame. We “bowhunters” are losing properties to crossbow hunters. The future of bow hunting is at stake. The new generation of hunters will most likely opt for the crossbows. They’re gunlike, have more range, and are much easier to use. Am I bitter about crossbows? Um yes. Did crossbow hunters bump me off a property? Yes

01-Dec-18
I agree. They should only be allowed to hunt during firearms season.

01-Dec-18
With all the wounded deer I hear about maybe more people should use a crossbow Lol

01-Dec-18
Agreed Steve. You guys should not go down this road cause it will just get ugly. As long as it’s legal what the hell do you care what the next guy hunts with. You guys sound really ignorant when you spout off like this

01-Dec-18
Why the hell do I care? Because the number of “bowhunters” has probably doubled. Now there’s a lot more competition to find private land. Keep your ignorant comment to yourself. Just because something is legal I don’t have to agree with it.

01-Dec-18
Well . I am a bow hunter. At 42 yrs. Old have screwed tater cuffs. And cant draw MY bow. And the doc said even with surgery I will not draw. So I use a cross bow. Guess I should just give up hunting .. wow. Some people..

01-Dec-18
Anyone in the past with a medical condition was able to get a permit for a crossbow.

01-Dec-18
I agree with Steve. The way some shoot they need a x bow.....Anything that helps get more hunters in the woods is a good thing.

01-Dec-18
Crossbow shooting takes absolutely no skill at all. People are just lazy

01-Dec-18
I am here to let everyone know that I hunt with all bow family implements: recurve - longbow - compound - crossbow. I enjoy each in a different hunting setting and according to the needs I have. I hunt 200 - 300 yards wide / long open fields where deer cross in the middle, narrow benches, funnels, open woods, swamps. For each hunting setting I use a different approach and weapon.

When using the crossbow I have to pay attention to string stretch, scope calibration, breathing, leveling, attack angle, and distance as my shots are off hand. It is not that easy. Ask my friend who missed this season a doe at 26 yards, and 3 turkeys between 40 and 15 yards with his crossbow in 10 minutes . We thought there was something wrong with the weapon when in reality it was his adrenaline that steered his aim away from targets.

I hunt the public domain more than private and I can tell you that I seldom see hunters in the woods during the season after the first opening week. They come, place a stand, hunt a week, and then never return until it is time to remove the stands. Some even leave their stands up the entire year. It takes discipline and will power to get up early and hunt. Most run out of steam early regardless what weapon they use. In a way I am happy because I have the woods to myself, but I am also sad to witness the decline of an occupation which kept our ancestors alive and in touch with nature. Do you think it mattered to them if the stone axe or the stone spear or the stone tipped arrow killed the meat which fed them all?

01-Dec-18
X2 Tree If not for the use of MY crossbow I would also not be able to hunt and enjoy the woods as I do. I also agree that it if is legal and you follow the rules , then enjoy what nature has to offer and hold your head high. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion but when they push /attack others with it then it is a true reflection of their character.

01-Dec-18
This is a touchy subject... I still hunt with the compound. I will as long as my body will let me. I figure I've taken over 1000 practice shots this year. How many shots does it take to site in the scope on a crossbow? Just sayin......

01-Dec-18
I feel it is two different techniques. Should probably have a seperate, shorter season. Maybe allow crossbow hunting starting 10/15? If/when I start hunting with a crossbow, I would be ok with that. Give the compound/recurve bow hunters a month to themselves since we all can agree it takes LOTS more practice.

01-Dec-18
the point of bow season is to limit a hunters effective range. a crossbow doesnt improve your range over a compound. there is pros and cons to both. i own both, but prefer my compound. its half the weight, way more compact and easy to carry, i can load and draw it way faster, quieter and with less movement. ya i can cock a crossbow at the truck, but i dont like walking around with a cocked bow.

01-Dec-18
Why should we give bow hunter a season by themselves who said they put in more time than a guy with a xbow there are plenty of guys how shoot 3 arrow and go out with a bow And think they are good to go I have taken over a 100 deer and with all kinds is weapons when I couldn't pull my bow anymore I went to a xbow I let more deer pass than most of you see it's not the bow it's the hunter ! Steve

01-Dec-18
Amen Steve! If each one of us will learn how to control our own demons first, I guarantee you this world will be better.

01-Dec-18
I agree Steve and Six. I have passed on three deer this year within 25 yards while using my crossbow and enjoying my time in nature. Set your own personal goals and follow them, it's your choIce to shoot or not. I have also not taken a deer the last three years by choice even while having the opportunity. I just enjoy being out there and if I feel like harvesting a deer or coyote I can do so . I'm done here. Best of luck this season everyone and be safe while enjoying the woods.

01-Dec-18
Crossbow hunting is for the lazy

01-Dec-18
I'll never use a cross bow until my body can't pull and shoot a longbow or compound. BUT there is definitely a place for them. My 80 year old Dad has a bicep injury and can't pull 30 pounds. He's still in the woods because of his crossbow. He shot his first Deer with a long bow in 1960.

BUT I also agree that a non archery Hunter can now stop at Cabela's on the way home from work on Thursday and can be hunting Saturday morning and calling himself a Bowhunter.

BUT we should not be bashing each other over it. Maybe disagree but not arguing.

01-Dec-18
There is a big difference between FACT and OPINION. FACT: OPINION is for the lazy.

01-Dec-18
The recurve/longbow hunters could say the same thing about compound bow hunters. Because archery equipment gets better and better we shouldn’t take advantage? I’m not lazy just getting old.

01-Dec-18
I'm all for crossbows for people with physical limitations. The OP made that clear as well. There are times and places for those things. CT is a very diverse state as far as deer hunting goes, some places are well suited for crossbows. I see their usefulness in petting zoo type situations. It's not so much crossbows I have a problem with its more the idiots carrying them through the woods. Lets start up a thread about baiting.

01-Dec-18
Who here sits over a pile of corn and calls themselves a hunter Hahahha

01-Dec-18
Steve, You’re right the crossbow is a more accurate weapon. Aim, look through the scope, pull the trigger. With the bow I have to stand up, draw back, hold the draw, aim, pull the release. Why the heck am I still hunting with a bow? I’d be interested to know why more bowhunters haven’t converted to crossbows? Tradition? Money? No time to learn? Proficiency with the bow? Content? Maybe I should just trade in my Mathews and join the club!

01-Dec-18
I bet 85 % of coastal hunters do. As its allowed. .. and as for. How hard is it to sight in a crossbow. ?? Well let's see . Draw calibration. temp changes. Wind everything causes change in flight of a bolt.... my old compound shoot faster then my current xbow. Hence it will shoot further. My set will take deer at 40 yard .max. because that's what I sighted in for. And that's of I'm in a feild...

01-Dec-18
Well, if one cannot shoot a bow while sitting, kneeling, standing on one leg, then back to the gym it is because one needs to exercise those upper back muscles. At compound's 75% to 80% let-off one holds back between 10 lbs to no more than 20 lbs at full draw. Any 12 year old child can do that easily. Aiming is done just the same as thru a scope using the peep and front sight pin(s) alignment. The mechanical release is just another trigger unless one uses fingers. It appears we are skinning a cat, the same cat. I think converting to stick and string without sight is the best approach to settle this discussion. If one hunts using a slingshot to propel the arrow is that a sin? To think I was going to go hunting in a loin cloth and using an atlatl for 2019.

NOTE: I am selling my Excalibur Matrix 380 black ops crossbow to finance the atlatl. Any takers please PM.

01-Dec-18
The state went to cross bows because regular bow hunter couldent get is done ,plane and simple ! You haven't seen the bag limits go down yet .Thats why they have baiting Too lol

01-Dec-18
Most of you guys just made my point. Calling people lazy is so ridiculous. That has nothing to do with what weapon you chose to use. Some of you guys get it. But some don’t. Not surprising

01-Dec-18
I have been bow hunting for 40 plus years. Made my own bows, bought wood dowels and made my own arrows, file sharpened broad heads, strung bows “without a stringer” really fun stuff years ago. I have added a peep, adjusted sights, tried a release. I have had pass thru’s, total misses and famous ham shots. I have shot many thousands of arrows at targets, stumps, squirrels, hogs, elk, bear,deer,snakes,frogs,mice, chimpmunks,armadillos, rabbits a few rolling tires,frisbees,balloons and the occasional flying grouse. Today I shoot the crossbow. If anyone thinks I am not a bow hunter today too bad. Those who choose to judge others do not understand “the wisdom to know the difference”. I don’t need to explain why I do what I choose to do. I just hope to continue to do it. Lidgten up people. You are debating an item that should not be debated amongst hunters. Oh crap I think I shot some deer with a gun too...yeah I really suck.

01-Dec-18
Longbow hunters think the recurve is cheating. Recurve guys say the compound should be outlawed. Compound hunters hate the crossbow guys,who hate the muzzleloaders, who hate the shotgunners, who hate the rifle hunters,.....of course.

The bottom line, we're all hunters.

01-Dec-18
Six, what is your point? I’d really like to see a 12 year old draw my bow back.

01-Dec-18
No need to practice with a xbow, shoot it a few days before season and your all set, with a bow you need to practice religiously to be proficient with it. Hunting with a crossbow is like riding a bike with training wheels!!! Hahaha!!!!!

01-Dec-18
Steve, that’s not why the state implemented crossbows. It’s all about $. And the bag limits will never change unless deer are on the brink of extinction. DEEP doesn’t give a crap. I get it... some people like crossbows. No problem. But don’t equate it with the bow. If DEEP was smart they would have given crossbows a separate season. Then we all probably would have bought one.

01-Dec-18
Pat, Are we beating Mass yet?

01-Dec-18
A 12 year old can hold any compound at full draw. A 12 year old cannot draw the 50 lbs to 80 lbs compound to full draw. Compounds and crossbow are similar technology bar the limb position relative to one of the reference axis. If one turns a crossbow to have the limbs vertical will that clear the picture?

Why does no one hunt squirrels anymore? Why not geese? They make a fine meal and offer great hunting challenge. Why just deer? Because geese do not crash into cars and squirrels do not cause enough damage. That is why. Is CT forum #1 yet?

01-Dec-18
We should all focus on keeping steady in the center of the cosmic flux where none of this makes a difference. Doing so will tune your resonant frequency to the natural pulse making you invisible to deer. In the end it is not about how many points did the antlers have or how much the animal weighs. It is about the personal effort expended to reach the goal of bringing down the animal. The more effort = the bigger satisfaction = the faster need fulfilled. Otherwise less effort = less satisfaction = longer until fulfillment.

01-Dec-18
Crossbow can be easier but you still have to put your stand in the right place, proper scent control. I own both and one landowner only allows crossbow on his land so I obey his wishes. It’s a great piece and I am not giving it up because he won’t allow traditional compound.

01-Dec-18
I hunt all season's with all implements when I can because it's legal. I use a compound bow and do not own a crossbow but I will buy one someday just to get my kids into it if they are are not proficient with a compound. Anything we can do to get new hunters in the woods helps us in our fight to keep our sport alive. The fighting amongst us shows a weakness that the anti hunting liberals feed off of. I think the property owner would appreciate you more if you showed him that you are as good of a shot as the guy with the cross bow . I challenge my buddy with his all the time to prove my point ten balloons and who takes the most out at 40 yards and we shoot at the same time I usually get 6 or 7 to his 4 or 3 but in the deer woods I will not go past 30 yards and much rather feel the rush and pride of the close 20 yard heart shots . I haven't tried his cross bow for fear I might like it for that 1st shot ready to go idea that could of scored me a big 12 pt last season as I struggled to get my bow off the tree and my release on as the deer trotted in to me and stopped 15 yards out broad side and then looked at me . None the less that lost chance still didn't convince me to switch because I prefer my own challenge and love the hunt as much as the kill . Just my thoughts

02-Dec-18
Can't blame the crossbow for your crappy season! Buy your own land and hunt with whatever you want .

02-Dec-18
I like to pick my nose and fling buggers at unsuspecting deer...now that's accuratecy..lol

02-Dec-18
Ok Dan you got me. Maybe it’s not really about the crossbow. It’s the fact that there’s more hunters in the woods during bow season. More competition. More pressure on deer. Bobhunt thinks it’s good... says we need to promote the sport. I guess from a more selfish point of view I feel differently. Some of you have awesome properties to hunt so you could care less. Six, I still don’t understand how you can equate a bow and a crossbow. Lift, aim, and pull the trigger seems a lot easier to me.

02-Dec-18
This discussion has been interesting and I agree with some of the comments. In my case, I've hunted over the years with a recurve but moved up to a xbow. Lost a deer last year so I wanted to move to something "more" accurate. Really wanted to go to a compound but had trouble using the peep sight and pins so I opted for a crossbow. As others have stated practice is key especially if you are shooting off hand. The idea is to achieve a clean, fast, ethical kill. My preferred range is 15-30 yds. and have passed on several opportunities. Having used the xbow this year in CT and VT I have not hunted an area where I would be comfortable shooting 50 yds unless there was extensive lane trimming. Just to many variables come into play. There are always going to be technological advances whether its bows, guns or cars. It's our choice to make a change. In some of the comments, the idea of laziness surfaced. Regardless of the type of bow, being successful takes the same amount of time and energy. Personally, I have more issues with baiting. However, its legal. I just choose not to do it.

02-Dec-18
I started my bowhunting in 1971 using a recurve. i envied those guys that were naturals with a bow as I was not one of them. I went to a compound along the way. Now at age 70, I can still use my compound, but prefer to use my crossbow. I still enjoy scouting, spending time in the woods,being close to deer and using that xbow! I am sure that there will be hunts in my future that will require the use of the compound and so be it, but given the choice, I will use the xbow.

02-Dec-18
Lift (some drop) your arm holding the compound bow with limbs oriented vertically (sometimes can be shot horizontally depending on the arrow rest used), pull the string back (most times done while lifting or dropping bow holding arm), aim, pull the release trigger, rinse and repeat. In a crossbow situation one pulls the string back beforehand, the trigger is integrated, the arrow rests supported, the limbs are horizontally oriented but they can be use in a vertical orientation if there is an arrow holder. Compound and crossbow are both mechanical, aiming, trigger equipped devices. If anything the crossbow in a tree stand is a one shot weapon and it weighs double which negates any advantages. One can shoot a 70 lbs compound and hit a 24 by 24 target at 100 yards just as easy one can do it with the crossbow.

A bicycle wheel and a car wheel function on the same principle despite differences in size and materials used for building them. Is CT forum #1 yet?

02-Dec-18
I think hunting deer in the FF suburbs with a crossbow is the easiest of all because deer are stupid there. ;) Comments?

02-Dec-18
Sounds like your issue is the crowds more than the tool they are using. There are guys that think anything more than a stick and string gives you an unfair advantage. Most of them seem to hang out on the leather wall forum. Wheels? sight? release? rangefinder? Where do you draw the line?

02-Dec-18
What is FF BBB? If anything deer are somehow infected by the same democratick virus most humans in the same region are given increased population density. The only "cure" is to thin their numbers and deer will return to being republicons in no time.

I hunt my own 10 acres land, north of I-84, twice a year, turkeys and deer rut. The rest of my hunting is done on public land. I scout all the time from home using Google maps then confirming my findings in the field. I hunt at least 3-4 days a week; short hunts most of the time. This year I have seen deer on all my hunts except 4 days.

I helped track few deer shot with a crossbow having a sparse to non-existing blood trail only to find that the exit hole was plugged by fat/hair or organs. I never get that result shooting a 2 edge fixed blade from a compound or traditional bow.

Is CT forum #1 yet?

02-Dec-18
BBB. They just walk up to you and run to the truck when you shoot them I think there pretty smart Lol

02-Dec-18
BBB. They just walk up to you and run to the truck when you shoot them I think there pretty smart Lol

02-Dec-18
https://www.fieldandstream.com/are-crossbows-threatening-bowhunting-tradition

02-Dec-18
So it looks.like the mass. Gentleman thinks crossbow hunting is so easy. Honestly. If you seriously think you can pick up the xbow fire a few bolts. And be good you have alot.to.learn . Are they easy to sight .. yeah not to bad. But are the things that could go wrong. ?? Yes there is. . One thing if you cant judge yardage. .. you wont hit anything. If you dont play the wind. Bolt will drift.. cross bows scopes are not a rifle scope . Mine is fixed if you cant see qhat your shooting at then what . Not much difference in sights . On my bow. . So honestly not to be an a$#%&#&# you need to back off and be respectful of hunter being in the woods and not on the couch. .

02-Dec-18
Smoothdraw mor deer were killed in the jan season with the xbow than regular bow that's why they changed mor x bow more deer killed that's what ct wants. If they gave xbow a season should. They take it away from the bow season ? Would only be fare ,

02-Dec-18
From the same article posted above by Brianc86:

"Twenty-seven states now allow full inclusion of crossbows during archery season, largely based on the premise that these easier-to-shoot tools would recruit enough new bowhunters to reverse the trend of falling overall participation.

Yet that doesn’t seem to be happening. According to the most recent (2016) outdoor recreation survey conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, hunter numbers fell by 16 percent from 2011, and the overall hunting participation rate is the lowest it’s been in 25 years. The total number of bowhunters declined 19 percent in the same time period—and Shelby believes the total has fallen even more since 2016."

02-Dec-18
"We should all focus on keeping steady in the center of the cosmic flux where none of this makes a difference."

What a hoot!

String guns, yeah, of course the infirmed should be allowed to hunt with them, just don't call it archery. Drawing and hand, or hand device, releasing is archery. Hunting has to do with either a stalk, or site selection for a blind or treestand. As an individual I would hunt 365days a year, but constrained as I am to follow the law, there is a need to distinguish differences, primarily for the safety of hunters, though I detest the wearing of orange.

A time for all of us to hunt with our weapons of choice is the issue. How about crossbows in all of February?

02-Dec-18
xbow shooters are lazy, unless you are disabled.

02-Dec-18
And yes I have picked up a xbow and had it sighted in within 10 min. Very easy, no skill needed. This guy (disabled) has killed many deer with it from 15-40 yards with absolutely no practice in the off season or even during the season. Pickup a bow and lets see you shoot 40 yards with zero practice..... I need a good laugh. For the disabled I understand, for the guys who are perfectly healthy physically, it shouldn’t be allowed. Now we have all those sloppy gun hunters buying xbows. Hahaha

02-Dec-18
Yes sir

02-Dec-18
Some only shoot nice deer too ! Lol

02-Dec-18
It's all good.

02-Dec-18

SixLomaz's Link
""We should all focus on keeping steady in the center of the cosmic flux where none of this makes a difference."

What a hoot! "

Yes it is. Just another focus point of entertainment. By your definition then compounds are in the same category as crossbows, NOT real bow hunting. All are hand drawn strings. The holding at full draw and limb orientation is the difference. Did I mention that I am selling for a good price an excellent Excalibur Matrix 380 black ops crossbow? Why am I defending the crossbow then? Well, because it launches an arrow using a string and it deserves recognition as an archery implement.

Is CT forum #1 yet?

02-Dec-18
I think the main gripe here are the men and women who are perfectly capable, with time and practice, of drawing a bow back and harvesting animals who are taking the easy way out. Because CROSSBOWS TAKE LESS TIME AMD PRACTICE TO BE SUCCESSFUL. Just like it's much easier to harvest animals with firearms....thus the limited season. I see the additional seasons and bag limits as a reward for the challenge bow hunting presents. That challenge is diminished with a crossbow. I'm not talking about people who are physically unable to draw a compound bow and I dont think Brian is calling these folks lazy....

02-Dec-18
Brinac.. I most certainly can pickup my bow. . Draw it once and shoot. Out to 50 in my yard. And be in the clean kill zone.. its called a tuned and zeroed bow. .. then not only do I get one shot off per year. But I'm then screwed for the rest of the year.. ..

02-Dec-18
^ ????

02-Dec-18
And I share in smoothdraws frustration. When I hear of a new crossbow hunter harvesting a deer the same week he bought his bow it drives me crazy because of all the practice I've put in. Its human nature. That being said , i dont think that applies to anyone here. Take steve for example. That guy is a pro. HE IS CONSTANTLY ON THE DEER. I've never seen anything like it. It's his craft. He could harvest deer with a slingshot. He uses a crossbow because he has to. Would he prefer to still use a compound o if he was able ? Does he see that as a bigger challenge? These are questions for the individual.

02-Dec-18
Don’t know why the question mark sent.... anyways right on.

02-Dec-18
Would it be an issue . If mass allowed for everyone ?

02-Dec-18
To be serious, x bows are absolutely easier to shoot and have a great effective range than compound bows. Howevere, they don't find deer or teach you ethics and respect for the animals. I stopped gun hunting because I found gunners were a bit of a slob Hunter (not all but some). They shoot beyond their skill level, don't practice and just want to kill something. Again, not all but enough to worry me about my safety. I think xbows tend to allow the same behavior. Jmho

And FF is Fairfield county. And was a comic post.

02-Dec-18
For me this is cut and dry I own both. Bought crossbow last yr do to injury couldn’t draw my bow for awhile. I shoot both and hunt with both. If I’m in my ground blind I cannot draw my bow do to my arm length so I choose to use the crossbow in that situation.that being said I much prefer my compound I shoot a Mathews halon 6 and love it I shoot it for fun practice and hunting because I can. Not because someone gives a damn weather I use it or the crossbow. I get everyone’s point on here and respect all ur opinions but for me it’s as simple as IM VERY FAR FROM LAZY. I probably shoot more arrows than the average guy. I shoot out to 80 yrds on purpose with my compound. And I’m pretty damn accurate. Won’t even attempt it with crossbow. Drop off on crossbow is massive after about 45 yrds. I’m going back to muzzleloader for the first time in 18 yrs does that make me lazy? Does it make me a cheater? Maybe in some guys eyes. I log a lot of hrs on stand and the guys that r on here often know that. I was in a bad situation with my son earlier in the season that ruined hunting for him period he will not step back in the woods because of it. That D-bag that shot at him had a crossbow. was it the crossbows fault nope not at all it was the wanna be hunter that supposedly took his coarse just like we did or was taught in that classroom by instructors just like we were that made the decision to pull that trigger. And I thank my lucky stars everyday because that piece of garbage missed my kid at less than 20 yrds with a crossbow. It’s the guy behind the implements in my opinion that needs fixing not so much the weapon just my 2 cents

02-Dec-18
I'm a multi season hunter who loves to be in the woods chasing deer. I've killed far more with gunpowder of all forms than with arrows! I have hunted with a compound (an ancient Bowtech MitiMite) and can't buy a deer. Switched to a crossbow and it's not a rifle guys it's still shoots an arrow! Wind, tree branches and other factors limits their range despite the claims by Rabin that is my new rifle. No one shoots at game with any type of boy beyond 30-40 yards period!

That said I can't believe the anti crossbow attitudes among this group! We're all hunters and we should be sticking together and supporting each other's rights to hunt! There are no less than ten to fifteen anti-hunting groups all gunning to ban hunting of all types. If they ever get their hands on the wounding rates and deer left to die by coyote caused but archery hunting they will ban all forms of bow hunting. Or at least try to on many fronts. So let's stop this nonsense and support each other as we're all hunters!

02-Dec-18
Hey Bob here's a suggestion. I see a mismanagement issue, do like we do down here. Because everybody here owns at least one BMW X3 ( starting at 55,000) drive around a bit while somebody tosses out fancy shrubbery. PRESTO instant proliferation of dumb deer!!! Be forewarned of the impending tic studies though, they bite...lol

Oh and if you like all my hand maidens are taken but you can borrow a butler or two for the task at hand

02-Dec-18
You spend time practicing while I'm filling the boat with fish. Then I'll see you on the 15th with my xbow! Not lazy at all just less time to practice these days. It all comes down to proficiency and how you achieve it is all that should matter.

02-Dec-18
I don’t think it’s about supporting hunters or not supporting hunters. I think it’s the logistics we’re looking at. In fact why don’t we just open up all weapons all seasons. Let’s see how that goes.

02-Dec-18
Deer dan. My point proven, xbow hunters are lazy! It takes no effort what so ever. Plenty of time to practice, instead of commenting on this nonsense thread, you could be shooting your bow!

02-Dec-18
No one shoots beyond 40 period? Yeah your weekend warriors that are lazy don’t shoot beyond 40.

02-Dec-18
The weapon that the hunter feels will most humanely take the deer during bow season should be used. I would rather have a clean xbow kill than a sloppy bow attempt.

02-Dec-18
Brianc86- I lost count on how many compound bow deer I've harvested so don't make It sound like your in a league of your own. Just trying something new which apparently you have a problem with.

My wife bought me my first xbow last Christmas after hearing me talk about it on the phone with friends. I've shot 5 deer with it since then and haven't touched my Mathews except for taking RI proficiency test to hunt a bow only spot. Sounds like you guys are bitter about not filling tags more then anything. Lousy hunting skills has nothing to do with the weapon of choice.

02-Dec-18
Yeah just checked success tracker didn't see you there

02-Dec-18
Amen to that DeerDan. You nailed it. The grass is greener on the other side of the fence syndrome. Some hunters are just born with the gift of hunting while others have to work at it.

I shoot my compound and crossbow 2 weeks before season start to check tuning. That is practice enough for me to hit a golf ball target at 40 yards with ease. I shoot the recurve and longbow every day from 40 to 10 yards to keep myself tuned and on target inside an 8 inch paper plate.

02-Dec-18
Ok Daniel Boone

02-Dec-18
Success tracker?? Where is that? I don’t deer hunt to post pictures and brag!

02-Dec-18
Maybe you do not have any pictures to share at all given the time you dedicate to studying lazy people. The science behind your comments is astounding.

Is CT forum #1 yet?

02-Dec-18
Where is Dr. William from DEEP when you need a scientist?

02-Dec-18
Or maybe I have a a ton and I am tagged out? You will never know.

02-Dec-18
Brian do you even hunt ct I see your from mass ?

02-Dec-18
Mass. #$%& . Dont qant yo pass judgment but its seems there is an issue. Qith bashing ct xbow hunter. . I believe mass just recently allowed xbox to everyone. Maybe he should buy one.

02-Dec-18
Excellent spelling!!! Hahha.

02-Dec-18
If crossbow guys put in as much effort as compound bow guys we would consider it equal, but they are worlds apart. This thread is just becoming funny. Get out an practice with that crossbow!!!

02-Dec-18
Bad juju could be your problem! I'm going out now with it for the afternoon I'll let you know what's moving!

02-Dec-18
Alright I’m done. Read enough poopy pants comments for today... haha

02-Dec-18
As some of you know, I just returned from a 3-month deployment to the South Pacific doing maritime security for the VPOTUS. Enjoyed reading the daily posts but this one got me a little agitated. See I’m 51 and I hunt with everything as well as many who have posted. Got a Matthews Triax that I love as well as a TenPoint that I love. See after watching third world countrie’s tribal wars go on I appreciate our USA every time I return. See we are free to do what we like if it’s legal. Yes we also have the same freedom to complain. But I’m all about more people hunting and less people bitching. We need to unite and not divide as we have enough of that crap in this liberal state. So go ahead and hunt with what you want to if it’s legal and don’t fret over someone else’s opinions.

And for the one complaining that crossbows are lazy and easy. I’ve been bowhunting now for 40 years and these compounds with sights and parallel limbs and such are gravy to shoot compared to what we had even 20 years ago.

02-Dec-18
Peace be with you all crossbow hunters. God bless America.

02-Dec-18

SixLomaz's Link
Exercise for the masses.

02-Dec-18
dang this thread is heated, let me add some fuel. compound bows are easy to shoot, you do not have to practice year round, i would take the same amount of practice shots when preparing for a hunt with either weapon. the compound has a 80% let off and the crossbow has 100% let off, big friggin deal! the crossbow is NOT superior, they both have pros and cons!

02-Dec-18
Amen to that HolePuncher. Is CT #1 forum yet?

02-Dec-18
I’ve been at this hunting game for a very long time. Like Gene, I started out in the 70’s shooting a recurve and long bow. Eventually switching over to a compound along the way in the 80’s. Through the years I’ve evolved through all of the hunting stages to the point now where I only shoot a deer when the feeling hits me. That’s usually when I see a 130” buck or larger or a 4.5 yr old or older. Probably about once a year or sometimes not even once. It takes a lot of effort and grind to get that kind of deer in front of you. I went through that phase where I used to kill a deer 11or12 times a year. I know without a doubt I’ve killed more deer than 95% of the people on this forum. Not bragging just painting a picture of my experience for you. Come take a look at my man cave if you want proof. I know Steve and I’m sure he’ll vouch for me. Anyway what I’m trying to say is, through the years I’ve seen many people like Brianc86 come and go who run their mouth and have no substance to support their “facts”. People like him can’t help themselves because they see everything in black and white and that’s just not the way life is most of the time. There’s no reason to lash out at other hunters because they don’t hunt the way you do. As I stated earlier as long as it legal move on. A hunter infringing on your hunting spot has nothing to do with which weapon he chooses to be toting that day.

Brianc86 I wish you well and hope that someday you too will have matriculated through all the phases of hunting and will be able to reflect back on what an ass you really sound like when you speak of this subject.

Kudos and good luck to most of the rest of you guys!!

02-Dec-18
Six,

I defined archery as a hand drawn and hand, or hand device, release of the bow string.

Please read carefully as you drift into reality from that cosmic flux you are smoking.

I've been thinking of Steve with a crossbow. Sort of like the Jets letting Broadway Joe Namath back on the team with a catapult to launch the football.

tybars,

"freedom to complain" "less people bitching"

The U.S.Constitution you swore to defend upholds the freedom, but does not limit the bitching, therefore, you and everyone else are at liberty to ignore the latter.

Brianc86

"Get out an practice with that crossbow!!!"

Practice reduces the lifespan of a string that rides a rail with every shot, unlike a bow.

02-Dec-18
crossbows are for girls. Lazy girls

02-Dec-18
Brianc86 I thought you went back to mass were there are no deer .

02-Dec-18
Bow hunting is for the lazy. Run the deer off a cliff like real men do.

02-Dec-18
I know I started this thread but please don’t associate me with Brianc86. I sometimes represent the minority... crossbows, AR 15s, yada yada but I try to be respectful. I’m not against crossbows but I don’t like the increased number of hunters it has brought to the bow season. That’s a legit gripe in my mind. Sorry if I pissed you off. I enjoy being a part of this community.

02-Dec-18
And this STUPID thread is the perfect example on why I hardly ever post on this site. Who cares what people hunt with!? I hunt with an xbow...had to...always wanted to get into this hobby, but never had friends or family that did it...I had a opportunity to get into it 3 years ago, but had a shoulder injury preventing me from drawing back on a bow (believe me I tried)... went with the xbow because that's what go me into the woods. I have yet to harvest a deer! So those of you making the absolute MORONIC comments about it being EASY to hunt with the xbow, are probably the same that are bitter they didn't have one when they missed their deer at 20 yards! Who is anyone to judge what gets people into the woods??!! With the younger generation more into video games and indoor activities than outdoor activities, don't worry, there will be plenty of your precious whitetail to go around... any REAL hunter would likely be reluctant to make such a comment, as that person would surely know, it's not as much about the hunting implement being used as it is finding the deer, learning their patterns, preparing for the hunt, etc! I doubt 99% of people out there that hunt with a compound have ever been in a stand, seen a deer in the woods and thought "damn! That deer is right there...but too far for my compound...if only I could turn this thing horizontal...then I could hit it!" My point being, I don't hunt with a compound, but have been lucky enough to meet a friend that does and has shown me a few things, and I don't think that my xbow puts me in any better of a position to harvest a deer over his compound! The experience being in the woods, looking for sign, understanding deer behavior...that's what get people deer... this Brianc86 whoever is just a troll so I could care less about his opinion.... but I must say...though I stated that I don't post much (as honestly I don't feel I have expertise to post much worth reading) I do check this site multiple times a day to read topics that I can learn from, and I am a little surprised at some of the comments from some regulars... I also very much appreciate the mindset of the regulars that share the same opinion as I do...whether you want to believe it or not, this is not a thriving, but a dwindling sport, so I say, whatever gets the hunter out in the woods, ENJOY IT!

02-Dec-18
Smooth draw ×2

02-Dec-18
"Six, I defined archery as a hand drawn and hand, or hand device, release of the bow string. Please read carefully as you drift into reality from that cosmic flux you are smoking."

NOTE: I do not smoke. The cosmic flux reference was metaphorical.

A crossbow string IS drawn by HAND. It is released by HAND when trigger is pulled, just as a compound bow. Compound shooter holds string back on a 70 lbs bow with 80% lettoff, all 14 lbs of it, using back muscles. Crossbow shooters have a mechanical stop do the job of holding the string back. Similar to a spoke rim compared to a full metal rim. They both function as a wheel regardless of what force keeps them round shaped.

What puzzles me is how in the world someone who cannot pull 50 lbs on a compound string can pull, for example, the 130 lbs required to arm a 260lbs crossbow without using a hand crank. It is a mystery to me, as I can assure you it is harder to arm a crossbow than to pull back the string on a compound.

02-Dec-18
Hey Wrangler, I don’t appreciate the comment about “being a real hunter”. Don’t throw stones. It’s all relative. Some people hunt properties loaded with deer. Some people hunt sparse deer on stateland. I’ve done both and shot plenty of deer. I don’t get what’s wrong with wanting less hunters where and when you hunt.

02-Dec-18
Smoothdraw...sorry to hurt people's feelings...try not to be judgemental next time...I hunt Stateland almost exclusively...don't have the time or network of people to procure any viable private land... if you don't "appreciate" the "real hunter" comment...maybe you might want to go back and re-read some of yours and others comments about xbow hunting and it being easy. In my experience in hunting state land, in the last 3 seasons, I have not once gone into the woods and said, "nope...too many people here...can't hunt today." I understand the amount of time and apprecite commitment it takes to bow (any type of bow) hunt, and take exception to being viewed as a lesser hunter due to what I choose to hunt with... look at your xbow, compound, modern day recurve, etc....and see the amount of engineering that goes into it... it's not the caveman days of hunting and gathering anymore...not one of us can be judgemental over another...go out there with a rock and a stick...then I'll be impressed with what you get a deer with...short of that...what impresses me are they guys here that seemingly always find themselves on the deer, that can be selective with the deer they take (actually "pass" on deer), know how to read the sign, can regularly put themselves in position to take a deer, etc...I could care less what that person harvests a deer with...if you can do any couple of those things, THAT is what gets you a deer...not what you hunt with

02-Dec-18
Amen to that Wrangler06x. It is the personal effort one puts forth that brings the deer home. The implement used is just a TOOL.

Talking about rock and stick got me thinking to use my flat bow with wooden arrows tipped with stone broadheads for next season. What a challenge it is going to be.

Is CT forum #1 yet? Anyone?

02-Dec-18
Ok I’ve come to terms with using the crossbow. Have at it. Heck maybe I’ll get one down the road. “what impresses me are the guys here that seemingly always find themselves on the deer, that can be selective with the deer they take (actually "pass" on deer), know how to read the sign, can regularly put themselves in position to take a deer, etc...”

Once again this is all relative. Not all properties are created equal. I don’t put much stock in what deer are being posted. Except for Zack of course. He always gets huge bucks on stateland. Now he’s a real hunter!

02-Dec-18
Ha ha, Six! I would most certainly be impressed with a picture of you standing next to a whitetail on the ground using that tool! And I appreciate your view on this subject...again...I'm not trying to start an Internet pissing match, as that is utterly pointless... I'm just making my point in defense of people who choose to use what is viewed as an "un-cool" weapon for hunting by our community. Just this season (after 3 seasons) I have now considered myself a hunter...actually been able to get into the woods, find sign, understand (with some coaching) what deer do, how they move, actually saw some deer finally....and for someone to crap on that effort because of what I choose to hunt with??!!...not cool

02-Dec-18
And Big Buck Bob’s 2018 buck of course!

02-Dec-18
This reminds me of the who's better argument ,the guy with the fancy pants Simms waders and sage 11wght rod casting sand eel pattern flies in 6ft of water or the schlep with a 10ft ugly stick chucking? The guy casting eels of course...lol

02-Dec-18
Right NM but the big question is which color eels????? Now that is the trick

02-Dec-18
HAHAHA, what a bunch of cry baby’s.

03-Dec-18
Centerpoint sniper hey B?

03-Dec-18
DeerDan...tell me you saw the same thing I did?? Someone posing next to a whole bunch of bullseye's with an xbow on their shoulder...I wasn't even going to say anything, but if that is what prompted that comment, I'm glad I wasnt the only one that got a laugh out of that find.

03-Dec-18
Yes! Lol

03-Dec-18
Lmao...that is too funny! And bet that's the end of comments from our Massachusetts friend on this topic

03-Dec-18
I found him too .Check him out now .lol

03-Dec-18

SixLomaz's Link
Is that him?

03-Dec-18
Mass site

03-Dec-18
Hahahha... man you guys have a lot of free time on your hands, could use it to practice shooting your bows!!!!

03-Dec-18
I checked the DEEP 2017 Deer Summary Report. 179 out of 5075 private land deer were shot with the crossbow. I guess it’s not that significant. It will be interesting to see how that number grows in the future. Probably should have checked that out before starting this thread. I guess it’s really my own personal issue with 2 crossbow hunters that screwed up a property I liked to hunt and basically took it over. I should just get over it and stop being a big fn pus.. !

03-Dec-18
I clicked his name ..some guy from Alaska shows up

03-Dec-18
I used to use cedar arrows, they flew,...........interestingly.

03-Dec-18
I can't resist a quick reply, a crossbow is the perfect tool for any woman to buy for their husband for Christmas, because she wants someone more manly in her life... Being it takes no skill, practice, or much other than shooting it in after the wife reads the directions for him and shows him how to use it! Now he's a great white hunter and can tell his buddies how deadly he is with his new crossbow and how hes going to go hunting... He knows nothing about hunting or has ever been hunting, so he gets in his hybrid and goes to the local state land where "everyone" can hunt, walks aimlessly into the woods sits down, beginners luck a deer walks by and Bam! The great white hunter gut shoots a deer and never finds it. This example is what is wrong with new hunters not crossbows, a hunter that knows what they are doing, a crossbow is a deadly weapon, also gun hunters converting into bow hunters just because crossbows are legal now trying to shoot deer at 80 yards just because they shot that far at the range with their crossbow and they have hunting for x amount of years...... Bowhunters using crossbows I see nothing wrong with at all they know how to execute a shot with a bow, a crossbow is just a different tool in the bag of tricks of "bowhunters". I find it very offensive to see hunters buy a crossbow, put an Excalibur sticker on their back window next to the Browning logo and now call themselves bowhunters... I'd like to hear the argument between 2 two gun hunters because one guy shoots a 30 30 with open sights, and the other uses a 7mm mag single shot with a scope, same concept one guy can shoot farther but only has 1 shot, other guy can't shoot past what he can see but has more than one shot. My 2 cents on the situation.

03-Dec-18
Good write! Opening the bag of worms again!! Watch out for the xbow guys!

03-Dec-18
Ah the old last resort attack on my manhood! My manhood is what got me the xbow.

03-Dec-18
Semantics. Question still unanswered: Is CT forum #1 yet?

As a side not I could not stop but notice how posts with negative connotation have a higher number of responses than posts with positive "boring" connotation; for example "What a disappointing morning" vs. "What a wonderful morning".

03-Dec-18
From: tree squirrel 27-Oct-18Private Reply The Ravins look like what I would go with if I were looking to "rifle" hunt a bow hunting only area, I have a Barnett deer hunter that I got on sale with a gift card before I boycotted dicks sporting goods, not impressed to say the least, save your money and buy something good. isn't this your post tree ratt?

03-Dec-18
Ouch, getting called out. Told ya to watch these guys!!

03-Dec-18
Yep, I shot a buck with that piece of junk this year too!

03-Dec-18
Yep, I shot a buck with that piece of junk this year too!

03-Dec-18
But to be clear my wife didn't buy the crossbow for me even though she bought me the gift card.

03-Dec-18

airrow's Link
Smoothdraw........Your number for deer harvested by crossbow in 2017 (179) is for January only. The total deer harvested by crossbow in the 2017 season, according to the CT DEEP is approximately 3,114. The number 3,114 represents approximately 52.69% of all deer harvested in archery with a crossbow during the 2017 season.

03-Dec-18
I wasn't targeting you deerdan I just read your post about your wife buying your crossbow now lol, I was trying to create theoretical situation I didn't realize yours fit inside my fictional tale.

03-Dec-18
Let’s take a kid out hunting with a crossbow on a youth hunt to introduce them to the sport. Are you going to shit on them beacause they know no different? This is a disgrace to hunting, arguing with fellow hunters over what type of archery equipment used to take game down. Another CT (compound bow) hunter singing out for good. I don’t discriminate and all who have should be ashamed. Fellow hunters help and support each other. Let the bashing begin, this is just how I was raised.

03-Dec-18
Let’s take a kid out hunting with a crossbow on a youth hunt to introduce them to the sport. Are you going to shit on them beacause they know no different? This is a disgrace to hunting, arguing with fellow hunters over what type of archery equipment used to take game down. Another CT (compound bow) hunter singing out for good. I don’t discriminate and all who have should be ashamed. Fellow hunters help and support each other. Let the bashing begin, this is just how I was raised.

03-Dec-18
Airrow, I didn’t see that information in the report. So nearly half the archery kills are by crossbow? Can you post the report showing those numbers? Thanks

03-Dec-18
I can't wait until they allow the airbow in archery seasons. I'd like a scaled down lighter model, maybe not more than six pounds and capable of 500 ft. per sec. I'd also like to only have to air it up once per season, good for at least a dozen shots. If they could make it a repeater, that would be even cooler! I knew that when they allowed the compounds back in the early and mid seventies, we were destined for better things on down the road. Doesn't mean that I won't still hunt with my longbows and recurves, but I'd sure like a crack at that repeater airbow. :)

03-Dec-18
Carbonslinger... I agree with you 100%... that's why I am typically just a silent observer in this forum. I have learned a great deal, and have even made some contacts willing to give me some of the tools (knowledge) needed to try and further figure this out... on the flip side to that, there is a lot of negativity and bashing here. In my eyes, as long as you are applying ethical principles and tactics and staying within the law, who are any of us to judge what each other hunt with!? I'm happy I keep my hunting group small so I don't have to deal with the negativity. I'd like to say I'm done reading/posting here too, but that would be a lie... as stated, I do come on here a lot and have found some very helpful people and information, but too much negativity (completely ignoring the nonsense from BrianC as he's just trying to get a rise out of people). Personally, I enjoy using my xbow, and until I harvest something with it, I will keep hunting with my xbow. I would like to get into a compound at some point and use both depending on my mood, but at this point, I have invested quite a bit of $$ with no deer to show for it, so to invest more would make no sense... Not that getting a deer on the ground should be the sole source of enjoyment/sense of accomplishment. What I have gotten out of hunting is learning a new hobby/sport, spending time in the woods and building on something that I hope to share with my children if they become interested, and I figure out what the heck I'm doing!

03-Dec-18
I was going to take the crossbow out this afternoon, but I pulled a muscle in my leg when I sat down to pee, not sure if I'll be well enough to go, plus I have alot of laundry to fold and vacuuming to do :'(

03-Dec-18
Smoothdraw......The numbers are not listed on the 2017 year end deer summary; they were obtained directly from the CT DEEP through the FOIA in early 2018. Over 50% of archery harvested deer were taken with a crossbow in 2017.

03-Dec-18
Tree squirrel now that’s funny

03-Dec-18
She would have bought me the Ravin!

03-Dec-18
Well I think we should be more worried about the Anit-Hunters than the Anti-Xbows groups. My only two cents is that I think X-bow hunter's should have to wear Blaze Orange all of the time. Since the bows can shoot farther on a flat trajectory, I think it is a minor safety consideration. If I am going to come down from my stand and track a deer in full camo, it would be nice to know if a x-bow hunter was in the area so I could make sue he did not mistake me for a deer.

03-Dec-18
Thanks Airrow! Well there you have it. Welcome to CROSSBOWSITE.com. The future is here. Don’t worry I won’t go ahead and ask everyone what they hunt with. If someone wants to start that thread have at it. Actually it would probably put us ahead of Mass.

03-Dec-18
As far as people being lazy, I don't agree with that at all, it takes alot of energy to hunt in general I use a compound, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader, any hunter going out in the woods is not lazy, if someone is more confident with a crossbow then use a crossbow, I see no difference in what weapon is used. As for the variety of people like one's you meet in a gas station parking lot telling you how many deer they kill with a crossbow sitting over a pile of corn while they stuff a Danish in their face those people are lazy..

03-Dec-18
As far as people being lazy, I don't agree with that at all, it takes alot of energy to hunt in general I use a compound, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader, any hunter going out in the woods is not lazy, if someone is more confident with a crossbow then use a crossbow, I see no difference in what weapon is used. As for the variety of people like one's you meet in a gas station parking lot telling you how many deer they kill with a crossbow sitting over a pile of corn while they stuff a Danish in their face those people are lazy..

03-Dec-18
I hate to say this but my compound will shoot further then my cross bow on a flat shot. . The bolt of the xbow weights more... causing it to drop more. It's funny people think because its a 175lbs draw it shoots further and faster. And honestly it really isnt the case. In all xbows. Honestly dont really care to read this thread any longer. It's getting ridiculous.

03-Dec-18
tree - I would disagree about lazy hunters. When I would hunt the Housatonic area by Wangum Lake I would pass at least 3-4 hunters who went in about 400 yards, or about a 15 minute walk. I obtained permission from Great Mountain Forest to use an old road that took me 90 minutes just to get to the area where I would go off the road to my stand. These are the guys that would push the deer to me. I actually had one guy following me one afternoon and he finally yelled out "How far you going?" I just shook my head and kept walking. Lazy? You bet!

03-Dec-18
Or Bob he didn’t have the knowledge or skills to navigate his way back out in the dark. Everybody has a different set of abilities. Just laugh not judge.

03-Dec-18
The thread heard around the world lol

03-Dec-18
Hahahahahahahha xbows are for lazy girls hahahaha

03-Dec-18
“Maybe it’s not really about the crossbow. It’s the fact that there’s more hunters in the woods during bow season. More competition. More pressure on deer. ”

That’s pretty funny. When I took up muzzleloading (specifically to get away from the cartridge crowd), I went roundball because that’s what “muzzleloader” MEANT when the season was first authorized.

Ask me how I feel about scoped inlines.

So, Brian, with all your complaining about how unfair it is that you have to spend so much time practicing compared to a crossbow shooter...

What are YOU shooting???

LOL

03-Dec-18
Dr Williams. Tick Study. Redding. White Buffalo. Tony. Staten Island. There, you guys should be up to 500 posts in 30 minutes or so now :) We (MA) have you beat by a mile. Good luck next year :)

That said, this almost makes the tick study threads look kind, positive and down right loving...

03-Dec-18
Now Brianc86 is posting under a fake name. Pat isn’t that illegal? Is that worthy of being disqualified from this site?

04-Dec-18
Separation, insemination, frustration, who cares about it. Is CT forum #1 yet?

No fluff, no bluff, no cosmic origin, just me in a blink of time and space.

04-Dec-18
I have both a MAtthews DXT and a Ten point X Bow...I enjoy using both....they are different

I would much rather shoot 60 yards with my matthews than my x bow any day of the week....

I hunt state land,,,,I sit in the same tree / spot with my x bow as my dxt.....not sure how on the days I am with my x bow I am lazy....

04-Dec-18
Although I can probably utilize one over the fields I can hunt, I'm just too cheap to buy one. Not to mention I have two boys to outfit also

04-Dec-18
Jax, I think you were caught dozing with your xbow. Isn't the Xbox heavier than a compound? That would make you more diligent and energetic with the xbow.

04-Dec-18
My buddy has one and its light and very narrow and fast like 400 fps . But after one shot he has to reload it and with all his practice he is quick but a lot more movement for a second shot . I've taken and even shot the same deer twice before using my bow so I'll keep my compound for that advantage. But I definitely see the benefit on those cold days especially for January hunters . Like all hunting implements you still have to get the deer in your effective range and be a hunter the tool used legally is all good to me . Plus I hunt for the joy of being in the woods and the challenge so more people better for my challenge to be a better hunter and figure out what the deer do under that pressure. Like most here the deep north woods is great because most guys only go a couple hundred yards in .

04-Dec-18
bbb yes much easier lugging the Matthews...than the x bow

04-Dec-18
I WOULD go this far, though...

Crossbows should never have been legalized for public areas; on private property, shoot whatever you want or need to in order to kill cleanly, but public land gets so hammered that (JMO) increasing Hunter density for the extra 2 months just doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

Trouble is that the state is using crossbows to manage the herd without (IMO) enough thought to managing the density of the Hunters.

I’m just dying to hear back from Brian as to what a person has to do to qualify as Worthy Of Participation in archery season???

Myself, all I can ask is the skill to make a clean kill and the self-discipline to hold out for a shot that’s. well within the individual’s Sure Thing capability.

But what do I know? I’m not even smart enough to own a compound!

04-Dec-18

SixLomaz's embedded Photo
SixLomaz's embedded Photo
All this crossbow debate plus the cold weather made my go out today with my Excalibur. I saw 5 deer all day today. Two does in the morning until 9 am and three deer in the evening after 3:45 pm. One came with me home this evening at 4:15 pm. I used an Excalibur Matrix 380 crossbow to get this public land stocky, old 9 pointer, probably over 200 lbs on the hoof; double lung at 37 yards with a 110 yards death sprint. The arrow entered 2/3 high on the right side and hit opposite front leg elbow bone. Long and hard 340 yards uphill drag to truck, thru thick and over a creek. I did not get a chance to be lazy today even thou I carried a crossbow. Fresh meat for the upcoming Christmas family reunion. Merry Christmas everyone.

05-Dec-18
Nice buck six! Congratulations!

05-Dec-18
Indeed my friend CONGRATS!!!

05-Dec-18
nice buck !!!

05-Dec-18
Let it go... let it grow

05-Dec-18
Congrats! Bowhunting only area?

05-Dec-18
Yes, it was in a bowhunting only area. I got there at 2 pm and by the time deer showed up I was freezing due to wind, mostly face and hands. Two does came in from South and hung at 200+ yards probably because the wind was blowing in their nose. Then from North the buck appeared, walking on a string on my left looking South after the does. At 33 yards I had an opportunity but he did not stop naturally, then at 37, after pausing 2 minutes behind a thick tree, he stepped out broadside and paused enough to allow me to take the shot. From slow motion it all went to race speed in a blink. He ran East carrying the arrow now lodged in his left elbow bone, After 50 yards the arrow snapped in 2 pieces (2 inches with broadhead in the bone and 18 inches the rest). The long piece, full of red bubbly blood fell on top of the thick brush as he was jumping over. Tracking was easy having plenty and constant blood and the ground due to a 125 grain C3125 Cyclone broadhead which held its shape after bone impact and shock. What a rush. Adrenaline helped me drag the body with guts and organs to the truck but toward the end I was shaking. I use a 2 to 1 rope system to load heavy deer in the truck. Attached both ends of a rope to roof rack, make a wide spread loop on the ground, place deer on top, then slowly lift and roll onto tailgate keeping the rope loop spaced wide. It works well enough. One can use 2 pieces of wood 2" x 2" about 5' - 6' long, one end on the tailgate, the other on the ground; roll deer on the sticks and slowly lift and roll onto tailgate. I did not realize how big his body was until I got home.

06-Dec-18
Very nice deer.

I’ve been watching this string since it started. In fact, it’s the reason I set up an account.

I have a theory. This isn’t about bows vs crossbows but rather the “good people” influencing the DEEP.

I believe that the case is quietly being made behind closed doors that the population density of people in Connecticut is making firearm hunting unsafe and therefore obsolete. Couple this with the longer archery season, extended seasons south of 95, baiting and the legalization of cross bows and we can see where this is going.

Btw - I’m a newbie. Never shot a deer with a bow, crossbow or rifle but I love being in the woods in a stand with my bow or rifle.

Not meant to insult but a different perspective.

06-Dec-18
I have a friend who is a rifle hunter but wants to introduce his young son to hunting. He has access to properties near his home where only a bow or crossbow can be used by law. He knows nothing about bows but he can easily get his son shooting with a crossbow. Should we deny introducing a new hunter into a declining sport because of our pettiness?!

The main reason why the majority of people don’t want crossbows is because they don’t want the competition. That’s a fact, it’s sad and it’s extremely selfish.

07-Dec-18

Bgarrow's Link
After like 2 hours of reading all this about Crossbows few people stressed about true bow hunting. Yes its easier to site in but for me they are not worth shooting more then 25 yards. The arrow is shorter. Bungie on YouTube is a smart man and puts its smartly. A short paper airplane like a 20 inch bolt will not fly as straight as a longer one ,say like a arrow. This means you NEED to get closer to your game. Well over 25 years ago I bought a shotgun. I shot it all day then put up a stand. The next day i was in that stand and called a Bleat call. Within 5 min just as the sun rises i shot my first Doe and that was the last time i used a rifle or shot gun. I bow hunted for years but never got what I thought would be a ethical shot. Now in a condo with no land to shoot or money for a range I use a crossbow. My only shoot I'd take would be 25 yards. Last week I could have shot one of 3 doe's but the law was no shot within 500 ft of the dam I was coming down from. Nothing is easy except siteing in my new crossbow. I have 2 blinds and one is very nice and big the other you litterly have a 12 ft window you can shoot through without shaking the whole thing. On a angle or a quick set up the smaller one is a pain but I do believe that's the one that will make my year. Stop your bitching..help your fellow hunter.

07-Dec-18
Great stuff SixLomaz! Nice deer.

07-Dec-18
ttt

07-Dec-18
ttt

07-Dec-18
Ttt???

07-Dec-18
CT population has been stagnant for the last roughly 18 years at 3.5 million, so that can't have any impact on deep decision about firearms hunting.

08-Dec-18
Don't be so judgmental! Just love the sport and make the most out of whatever style hunting is your passion. I use a crossbow and enjoy hunting that way. To each their own

• Sitka Gear