dirtclod Az. 13-Dec-18
ChadS 14-Dec-18
ChadS 14-Dec-18
LarryH N.E.AZ 28-Dec-18
WapitiBob 28-Dec-18
Coyote 65 28-Dec-18
ChadS 08-Jan-19
07-Dec-18
I would like to hear comments and opinions on SFW. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

07-Dec-18
I don't support their prime directive: "the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"; ie pulling hundreds of public draw tags out of the pool and auctioning them off to the highest bidder.

their latest forray into AZ: https://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/79145-new-sfw-tag-grab-initiative/

There is a plethora of info available, just google sfw tag theft, sfw az tags, etc

some info to get you started...

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?249887-AZSFW-denies-it-s-behind-HB2072

09-Dec-18
We have enough people("NR") don't need more folks horning in on tags...Back in the day I purchased OTC Kiabab.Never to be seen again.Sorry state of affairs! Outfitters/guides are no help.Bidding ? Welcome to Az. NOW GO HOME!!

10-Dec-18
Thanks, I did search SFW but you gave me a few more to search.

10-Dec-18
Dang mr clod. Tell us how ya really feel. I think the nr allocations in az are pretty fair to you residents. What say u?

11-Dec-18
Seriously? This is even a question? AZSFW is anything but... They actually think that they know better how to manage AZ wildlife than the AZG&F department, perhaps one of the best such depts in the country. They may not always get it right, but they're pretty damn close.

12-Dec-18
True NR are only allocated so many tags,but pulling more tags to auction doesn't sound good.AZGF have been doing an excellent job of protecting and conserving our natural resources for years.

12-Dec-18
I think they do a good job as well

12-Dec-18
Now if I could only draw a tag id say they were doing great!

12-Dec-18
Now if I could only draw a tag id say they were doing great!

12-Dec-18
I agree AZG&F are doing a great job, quality hunts for most species. I hope to draw a Kaibab tag or an elk tag this year.

I'm from Montana and SFW is trying to get in here. They are using the anti predator hysteria to convince Montana hunters they need SFWs help. They have already laid the groundwork to get money from the legislature. Thanks again for the info.

Any other comments?

13-Dec-18
Its a business. nothing more. They are out for themselves and their bottom line, not necessarily the wildlife or the average Joe.

13-Dec-18
ChadS good luck on the Kiabab(.Bucket list)...Even though I live here,May never see my dream hunt again.Last time I missed a Huge Forky By 2" over...(Archery)

14-Dec-18
Appreciate your comments. I will try to draw one of the "poorer" units for elk, I'm 71 and will not likely accumulate enough points to draw again after this one. Handling a dead elk is hard work for an old fart. Really looking forward to the Kaibab again, was there about 45 years ago. I remember when you could hunt almost anywhere with OTC tags, or at least easy to draw tags.

Good luck to all in the draw.

14-Dec-18
I'm talking about bowseason btw.

28-Dec-18
Hello all, as a new member I have found this a pretty darn good site, and have enjoyed browsing through the topics..this topic hit a nerve...As a retired AGFD officer/Biologist, I have spent quite a bit of time with other state agencies while attending elk/deer work shops, RMEF camps, etc. I always thought AZ did a better job of management generally than many other western states, and appreciated many of the comments here supporting the Dept.. As to the SFW group let me say they are interested in two things, money and power. The proposal they put forward a few years ago to up the auction tags was a real assault to all AZ hunters. I was always a strong supporter of the Arizona Antelope Foundation but quit them when they supported that legislation, thank goodness it failed. These species groups do have a place, and politically they help the Department, but in many cases they also hold the Department hostage, due to the amount of money they hold and have control over. I am very good friends with the Sheep biologist in NM and while I am not a fan of the Auction system, at least over there the Department has total control of the funds generated by their auction tags. Their sheep program is very aggressive and has done a great job of re-establishing sheep within the state. As well as influencing sheep populations in AZ ie Unit 27/28. Anyway, I will get off my soapbox now, and just say, happy new year and good luck to all during the 2019 seasons.

28-Dec-18
Good to hear from you.

I think most recognize the importance of a "few" auction/raffle tags for wildlife. The 350 tags AZSFW was asking for along with the creation of their own expo was nothing but a money grab, proven by their rapid disappearance once the tags were off the table.

28-Dec-18
Chads, I am in your situation, 73, and when I drew a early bull rifle tag in 23N, I was planning on doing it myself, but the wife insisted I get an outfitter. Hunt lasted about 4 hours, and now that I have the head back there is no more room in the house for another mount, so I will be meat hunting from now on. I figure I can recruit one of the neighbors to help me haul it out of the woods. (I live in 23N)

Terry

08-Jan-19
I think one of the most important aspects of auction tags is "Where does the money go?"

I've hunted in outfitter camps but usually hunted on my own which is what I prefer. I appreciate the benefits of an outfitter, especially for old farts but the cost is prohibitive with my retirement income. I only have 7 points so will have to try for the "easier" units to draw.

Good luck to all, Chad

• Sitka Gear