Rackem 11-Dec-18
Dr. Deer 11-Dec-18
Wild Bill 12-Dec-18
Rackem 12-Dec-18
SmoothieJonez 12-Dec-18
Passthrough 12-Dec-18
Bigbuckbob 12-Dec-18
08-Dec-18
It seems I'm always struggling to get settled into stand quickly. My routine goes as follows: at base of tree with ladder steps/hang on: I attach bow to clip, climb steps, once in stand attach safety harness lifeline to safety strap. Take off backpack, remove binos & put on bino harness, remove grunt tube & can call put in pullover pouch, put backpack on hanger (already in tree) pull up bow, remove quiver, nock arrow, place bow on bow hanger (already in tree), place quiver behind stand seat, and sometimes put out white acron or estrus wafers on branches & stand. Doesn't sound like much but I feel I'm still creating too much movement. I'm okay with routine when I'm getting settled in the predawn hour (dark), its during daylight/afternoon hunts when I'm visible. Any suggestions or tips on how you get settled into stand as quickly as possible?

Many thanks in advance

08-Dec-18
Sounds like you do a lot. I carry my climber in, unwrap my pull up rope from the stand, attach bow and backpack, attach safety harness to tree and climb up. Once I'm up - I pull up the stuff, place bow in holder and back pack on hook (already in the tree). The only thing I take out of my pack is my rangefinder and if really cold trade my ball cap for knit cap.

08-Dec-18
I have ladder stands out that we use. I haven't used my climber for the past 2-3 years.

I just received permission on a larger piece this year. Only have been there twice, both time just scouting and then hunting from the ground. Next year, I'll go in there with my climber.

It takes a couple of minutes getting settled in, no two ways around that.

08-Dec-18
Climb up. Pull up my bow..hack a lung.light a smoke. Eat something.go to sleep

08-Dec-18
X2 BBB. My exact routine. I do pray to see a deer though.

08-Dec-18
No slight on You Smoothie but I could never understand why people bring a backpack hunting, unless you are doing an all day sit. I can carry everything I need to kill a deer in my hands or pockets

08-Dec-18
Bringing a backpack it's part of the TV show script we're advertising to sell products is the norm and not common sense.

08-Dec-18
I bring a back pack for many reasons. It has absolutely nothing to do with TV shows. I don't watch hunting TV shows anymore, and haven't for a long time. They are just too fake. Most of my sits are 4 -8 hours unless all day.

I like to strap most of my clothes onto my backpack since most of my stands are far walks (over a mile) and I do not want to sweat. I like to use a Camelback bladder so I'm not carrying metal or plastic bottles around with me. Nothing worse than a loud clanking noise or plastic crumple. I put my grunt tube and can call in front pouches my pack. I always have a pair of clippers, a lighter for emergency, few snacks, license for MA and CT, a pen and pencil, knife, TP, spare hook, spare carabiner, range finder, wind checker, pull rope for bow. If I'm going really far I'll take my deer drag rope and some glowsticks for tracking. I also tend to take 8 batteries for cameras im walking by or near so I do not have to make another trip and put my scent all over twice if I can help it(I take the batteries out if I'm not going by a camera). Sometimes I take my binos.

That being said... There is not any type of clothing that allow enough pockets for this. All my permanent stands have bow hooks, pack hooks, and bow pull ropes installed at them upon hanging. I use my climber 70% of the time. Smoothie it takes a lot longer to write what you do than to actually do it. I get into stand in the dark mostly. Takes about 3-4min to put on clothes climb up strap in, hang pack, pull up bow and ready to go. You have to walk to your stand which makes noise and movement anyway? So what is an extra few movements while up in a tree?? Just my opinion. But like everyone knows.. opinions are like assholes and everyone has one.

08-Dec-18
Smoothie,

"its during daylight/afternoon hunts when I'm visible"

Don't let that bother you, take care of what you want and make yourself comfortable. There's always some other deer that hasn't seen/heard you.

My pack/plan is loaded like Passthrough. Fact is, with this cold weather I've been forgetting my thermos of hot drink. With the leaves all gone, the odds are in your favor that you will see/hear the deer before it can bust you. That is, if you stay awake and off the smart phone.

08-Dec-18
Longbeard & SixLomaz, I'm curious to know, how many pockets do you have? And isn't bulky, cumbersome & noisy walking long distances thru the hard woods with stuffed pockets?

Today was an all day, 10.5hr sit, but nevertheless, forget about the backpack, thats not the topic, my question is what's your routine once you get to platform of stand regarding minimizing movement while getting settled in? Do you climb with your bow on sling or pull up to tree with bow rope, leave quiver on or take off, hang range finder, put on bino harness, etc etc

08-Dec-18
Holy crap you guys bring a lot of junk.

Strap your climber on tree. Strap your harness to the tree. Climb up. Take out a screw in bow hanger that I keep in the front pocket of my harness. Pull bow up. Nock arrow. Hang bow and get ready to kill. If it’s cold I’ll put on my jacket, pull my hat and gloves out of my pants cargo pockets. Sit still and read goofy posts on Bowsite until deer arrives. 5-6 mins to do all this from the time I get to my tree.

08-Dec-18
I carry everything in my pockets coat and pants to kill a deer too if I am not going to far I leave the back pack in the truck it has the stuff I need to gut a deer lol I walk in hook up my bow climb up and Am ready and quiet in 2min I have a bow holder and hooks set in the stand so I can hang stuff up hook my safety strap and ready to go .every stand is set the same way.

08-Dec-18
I carry everything in my pockets coat and pants to kill a deer too if I am not going to far I leave the back pack in the truck it has the stuff I need to gut a deer lol I walk in hook up my bow climb up and Am ready and quiet in 2min I have a bow holder and hooks set in the stand so I can hang stuff up hook my safety strap and ready to go .every stand is set the same way.

08-Dec-18
I carry quite a bit of junk, but nothing gets in the way or needs to be fiddled with. I wear a multi pocket fanny pack on the front so everything is right there if I need it, and its never in the way. Once I get sitting in my stand I haul up the bow or gun and bundle up the string and stuff it in a pocket or whatever. Then I put on my gloves and face mask and I'm good to go. I would recommend getting rid of the backpack smoothie. Come up with a more efficient system. I am always wearing the binos and I rarely take off the quiver or hang my bow on a hook.

08-Dec-18
Release on wrist (had a doe in heat follow me into the woods one time within 10 yards broadside, hard to shoot with fingers when set up for a release). Go to my stand, climb if a climber (I leave em out) pull up bow and hunt. Grunt tube on neck. Range finder in pocket. Couple shots of estrus into the air (season dependant). Log onto ct bowsite (phone on mute, screen dimmed, I been busted by screen light). Enjoy. If I shoot one, I'll let you know. If I am successful, I go back to my truck and get my field dressing amenities.

08-Dec-18
So you guys carry any spare clothes out in your hands with a bow or gun also? Must be a fun walk. I don't see any of the stuff I listed as junk but to each there own. I see all your (directed at junk comment) comments being junk but hey that's just me.

09-Dec-18

SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
Under my right armpit is what I consider a backpack, which is similar in size to a fag bag/fanny pack. Actually I think it is one of those/hand wamer, I just wear it over my shoulder for more comfort & access.

09-Dec-18
Shhhhh, smoothie..I think there's a deer behind you..lol

09-Dec-18
I pack my jacket on my climber. If I have a stand in the woods I tie my jacket around my waist. When I first started bow hunting 34 years ago, I put a knife in my pocket along with my license and tags. That's it. And if you really think about it.....that's all you need besides your bow when you knock a deer down.

This thread was started about how fast you can set up when you get to your tree. Well, if you don't bring a lot of extra crap with you......you can set up pretty darn quick and be ready to kill. Look at what you actually need in your pack and pockets and down size it. It works for me.

09-Dec-18
Its personal preference. I like to be prepared if I get cold, injured, thirsty, hungry, or get a deer.

09-Dec-18

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
My pack is hanging from my stand by a carabiner and a bungee holds everything secure. The grayish blobs above my pack are BootBlankets, which I have since traded to more compact Arctic Shields which store on top of my pack. In the pack are outer layers that I put on when the pack is hauled up to me. At the bottom of my haul line is a loop that I attach my bow to. So, once I'm up the tree I rig a line around the tree to hang my pack on. I use my fleece harness bag, which is attached to the stand, to wrap my toe strap buckle, thus a muffle any noise it might make as I move my feet on the stand. lift the seat into position from the platform. Haul up the pack and bow. Secure the pack to the line on the tree by the same carabiner used to hang it on the folded stand. I put on the boot covers, put on the layers I want, position my arm guard, put on my face mask, put on a pair of gloves, shift the top of my quiver from the pack to the carabiner the pack is hanging from. Start up my Hunter's Kloak cover scent mister, throw my camera neck cord on and tuck the camera inside my outer layer, then, I lift my bow, nock an arrow and I am ready to hunt. Depending on the situation, I may text my coordinates to the wife. I do wear one set of thin gloves for the hike in and the climb. They are then stored in my pants cargo pocket, left side. The arm guard, tab and gloves I hunt with are stored in the pockets of my outer layer uninsulated jacket. I don't vary the routine and can do it all in the dark. In gun season I remove and store in my pack any orange I was wearing for the hike in. I wear an orange watch cap and have started using an orange scarf to insure I have the 400sq inches above the waist. I'm also planning on orange sleeves, instead of the usual vest that just seems to get in my way.

09-Dec-18

Here's my pack with the grayish blobs.

09-Dec-18
Like I said I can carry everything I need to kill a deer in my pockets or around my neck (grunt call and or rattling antlers). I have all treestands already hung. Very rarely do I use rattling antlers and most of my walks to my stand are a 1/4 ish. When I do kill a deer I go back to my truck to unload heavy clothes and bow equipment. I then go back to the downed deer in light clothes and a fanny pack with fielddressing equipment, drag rope and tags

09-Dec-18
As far as my routine when I get to my tree, I Hook or tie my bow to hoist rope, clip my safety tether to my Lifeline and climb up. Once I step into my stand I pull bow up, nock an arrow, then detach quiver and hang up bow and quiver separately. Next I either sit down to cool off or to bundle up. Then I put my right clove on followed by my release over my glove. Finally, I usually text my wife to assure her that I am in safely, before I sit down for the long wait. Also I usually draw my bow just before I settle in and then again every once in a while to stay loose.

09-Dec-18
Pretty wild the amount of stuff people use..everything goes on at the truck and in my pockets( calls rangefinder xtra bow hook water bottle),release, mask at truck,.been caught off guard too many times..this year I didn't bring a back pack that normally has the stuff I put in my pockets plus 2 thermoses..the rest well see upper post.lol

09-Dec-18
I pack in my clothes but I change at the bottom of the tree and leave the pack at the base of the tree. All the rest of my stuff goes in pockets. I get in the stand attach harness pull up bow and put in the holder.

09-Dec-18
WB - you need a cart to carry all that stuff in. Props for dragging all that stuff along!!

10-Dec-18
I would rather have something and not need it than not have something and need it while in the woods. Too easy to break a leg or ankle. Where I hunt in MA there is very little/no cell service. Im literally in the middle of nowhere. WB that looks like my dads pack. Everything including the kitchen sink. Is that a foam roller to stay limber out there?!? Jk my pack looks like that when its cold out. I walk to my stand in just base layers.

10-Dec-18
I mostly use a Summit Bushmaster climber. The handclimber and platform strap together for backpacking. I have a small daypack, like a kids school bag size, that I put all my stuff in. I put the daypack on the pack prior to cinching the strap down holding the seat to the platform. My tote rope is attached to the handclimber, as is the "third hand" bow holder.

I hike to tree, put stand down and take off pack. Put the platform on the tree. Put the seat/hand climber on the tree. Strap day pack to left side of hand climber. attach bow to rope. step onto platform, put safety tether on tree and clip in. Climb up, put the strap that helps secure the seat climber to the tree, pull up bow, put on arrow and put bow on holder, start hunting. With that system, I can be hunting in 10' max from arriving at the tree.

11-Dec-18
Whats that giant tube?????

11-Dec-18
Props for a ten hour sit!!

11-Dec-18
Is it a bazooka?

11-Dec-18
Smoothie- Pull up the bow as soon as you are tethered in. Sometimes things happen quickly. I have been caught in the past with a deer 10 feet from my bow, hanging at ground level.

12-Dec-18

That tube is my snag proof quiver. I shoot aluminum shafts because they tune easier than carbon. When I started bow hunting I snagged, dropped and bent arrows while traveling in the woods in the dark. Since I only hunt from the tree stand, an open quiver wasn't needed and posed hazard to my arrows, not anymore. It rides on my pack from a two loop string harness. The bottom loop stays caught on the bottom of my pack and the top loop is transferred from a mid-point on the pack to the carabiner where the pack is hung at the tree, very handy to reach by feel if needed. The cap is slotted to mount it on the opening and not dangle/bump the tube and make noise. I've since attached a velcro closure/lock to prevent the cap slipping off . Blunts are carried feathers down and thus prevent me from drawing them when I want a broadhead instead.

12-Dec-18
Nice invention Wild Bill.

12-Dec-18
I like that suggestion Dr.Deer, I'm going to implement that into my settling into my stand routine along with Grizz's tip on putting on bino harness before walk into woods.

12-Dec-18

Passthrough's embedded Photo
Passthrough's embedded Photo
I use the summit bow holder on my climber so I can pull my bow up first and have it ready while I set up my pack and settle into my stand.

12-Dec-18
Me too passthrough

• Sitka Gear