yellow eye 12-Dec-18
BC173 12-Dec-18
horsethief51 12-Dec-18
Teeton 12-Dec-18
Red Beastmaster 12-Dec-18
08-Dec-18

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Well with the close of the rife season today it's time to start thinking late season. I killed a buck, but have two 3c doe tags. Not wanting to sit in the house today, the last day of rifle season I went for a walk this afternoon. So I went to my local gamelands. Not to my surprise there was no one there. We got a dusting of snow last night that was on top of a 3 or 4 inches of snow we got earlier in the rifle season. I got about 3/4 mile away from my truck and saw only 2 sets of people tracks and they were pretty much on the trail running through the gamelands. Deer tracks were good, with a fair amount of turkey tracks and the three bucks I saw with one being a pisser made my hike well worth it. This game lands is close to my house but I almost never hunt it. The last few years I've gone for hikes on it, but now I'm thinking of spending more time hiking it and learning. With my two 3c tags I'm going to put a little time this late season get to know it better so I can hunt there next fall. The other game lands I go and do hunt, is 45 minutes away and the reason I would go to that one was because I almost never see anyone there. Now this local game lands is pretty much the same, with no one hunting it..

So who going out for late season?? I know I am.. Ed

Edited my above post to say 3c tags not 5c. I do have 5c tags, but they were for the UBP 5c doe hunt. So they most likely will be used for my cold mid winter tag soup. :)

08-Dec-18
Looking forward to deer drives with my trad bow friends.

09-Dec-18
Will be taking grandson out some and I'll be out. They finally took the rifles out of this area 2B for late season but not all got the message:(

09-Dec-18
I'll be out with the flintlock and my back pack to collect mushrooms:)

09-Dec-18
I'll be out, I have a couple of doe tags to fill.

09-Dec-18
I'll be out. On of my favorite times to bow hunt.

09-Dec-18
I will be in Georgia for a while and am looking into hunting a spot I took a nice buck 2 years ago. I also have a friend who just moved to Alabama and will be talking to him about hunting there.

09-Dec-18
RC, id say let em go let em grow when it comes to selecting which shrooms u wanna take, BUT i dont wanna send the pa shroomer numbers into a tailspin of decline.... ;^)

09-Dec-18
Can't wait. Debating between flinter and bow. I know which I am more deadly with and it ain't the one that goes bang. But there's something about those damn things that takes you back in time.

09-Dec-18
Yup got several spots to check out and still have my buck tag.

09-Dec-18
Yea goin to take my flinter out, been hunting with it for 6 years, 6 shots and no hits, lol. There fun, determined to get one with it, got a little bit better with a thompson center renegede double set trigger.I've taken it out in rifle season to doe hunt with it.

10-Dec-18
Yep- I'm looking forward to bowhunting the late season!

10-Dec-18
Missed all of rifle season because of a bad flu that knocked the s--- out of me. I'm really looking forward to get some late season hunting in.

10-Dec-18
There no sense in going there's no deer in PA....I read it on the internet....something about old people and AR's....

10-Dec-18
I'll be out with the flintlock or maybe the bow. Still have one 5B doe tag to fill.

10-Dec-18
Flintlock for me.

11-Dec-18
Archery only properties... I am -0- fer in the deer woods this season. But still chasing the same deer for year #3. May end up -o- fer anyway.

11-Dec-18
John, you're 0-fer? I rekon the properties you hunt are where EHD decimated the herd in Chester County.

11-Dec-18
Bob, you would be wrong... I seen no less than 20 the last day of the gun season, 6 of them were bucks..... I can not shoot a doe over there that may bring the buck that I have been 3 years on by... I see deer almost every time out, however messing that up and spilling blood spooking that bugger, aint happening.

11-Dec-18
From my experience I wouldn't worry about blood or guts around your stand. Unless she's the one that's going to make it happen.

11-Dec-18
I have seen that, but educating them (as a group) will not help your efforts when they know where that stand is. I have seen doe sniff a gut pile a few hours old, they are curious however I need one or a few of them to come back into estrus....

11-Dec-18
I'll be bow hunting Letterkenny Army Depot on the 28th and 29th. 28th I'll be in Zone 2 with my Flintlock. The 29th I'll be hunting the Industrial Area with my bow. These are the last two days I'm holding out for a biggen. Letterkenny has one more Zone 1 archery/flintlock hunt on the January 5th, but I'm headed to Ohio for their muzzle loader season.

I still have a 5C doe tag to burn. Anyone have any suggestions on public land?

11-Dec-18
Well John, Good luck the remainder of the season, bucks are shedding their racks like Ive never seen before.

11-Dec-18
You too. I hope the one I am after does not. I figure I got till End of Jan. But he vanishes before that usually. I got pics of him in 2016, he was 3 years plus then. All through 2017, and he ghosted till Nov 4 this year, I seen him in the flesh for the first time twice this year and not since the shooting started. So he is over 6 years old and cagey. Hoping for the best.

12-Dec-18
To Bow or Not to Bow is the question. Shot the Rock lock the past weekend and shot pretty well. Seem to have problems now days seeing the open sites. Planning on a nice wander round checking out some old spots after a poor bow season, bad weather, no time off. So off for a good walk and the flintlock is a nice small package to carry on a long walk.

12-Dec-18
Helluva plan yellow eye!!

12-Dec-18
Had a change in travel plans so I will be trying to fill my doe tag before the end of the month.

12-Dec-18
I hoping to get a group together and make some drives late season.. We always get a few and have a lot of fun.. A few years ago we had I think 10 guys,, got 3, a 6 point and 2 doe. And a few misses.. We almost away's get a deer or two.. I love doing this when there's snow on the ground.. About 4 inches of snow is great. More and it starts getting hard to walk.

Anyone else do late season drives???

12-Dec-18
I've got the perfect woodlot behind the house for drives. 99% of the time the deer pick one of two trails 40yd apart. We did a couple two man drives Christmas week last year. Picked the wrong trail both times. 16 does walked single file past the empty hide. :)

Longbows and snow just go together.

• Sitka Gear