leftee 31-Dec-18
Wildman 31-Dec-18
Thornton 01-Jan-19
10-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Well for the second time in three years I find myself still hunting in December. With three does and my son's buck the freezer is full. It is now time to enjoy evening sits for me. I am set up in a tree line in between two bean fields one bedding area to the north and one to the south. I hope to see a deer a very special deer but only time will tell.

10-Dec-18
Im still at it. Missed a buck with a rifle. Havent been seeing much except does with fawns

10-Dec-18
Still at it. I might be a loser, but I'm not a quitter...

I've been duckhunting the last couple weeks to give my spot a rest during rifle season. Good luck, Matte!

10-Dec-18
Thanks guys,

1 armadillo, four fat does, five playful fawns and two bucks smaller than a pear tree.

10-Dec-18
Tags in my pocket still, but my time to get out will be limited. Hoping I can get a shot on a doe...if a mature buck shows all the better...Hopefully I don't miss this time.

10-Dec-18
I'm still at as well. Saw a doe and fawn tonight. Coyote hunters sent a pack of trail hounds through my section about an hour(1pm) before I pulled a card by my stand. Met the guy on the road he said they haven't been hunting that section yet. Not an honest statement for sure. Thanks a lot chase hunter, your a liar! Plus you boys didn't have permission to hunt that ground. I've hunted a buck there all season hope they haven't messed it up for me. I'll keep at it that is how I took a Booner in 2013. 19th of Dec. Maybe I'll get lucky again. Good luck to the die hard brethren. Pick a spot!

10-Dec-18
This is a weird thread for me this year, it’s the first time in four years I HAVEN'T been hunting still. Actually I’m kind of jealous, I love hunting the late season. At least I still have a doe tag to fill. Good luck to you hearty souls!

11-Dec-18
Still at it here heading out to some new ground today. Pays off to help someone change a tire on the highway when everyone else drives by and won't even slow down. Now I have permission on 320 acres.

11-Dec-18
Still at it in the SE.Freezer full from elsewhere and having too much fun to quit.Best,most exciting season ever I think here in Ks this year.One day had 13 bucks in bow range.Previous record,over decades,was 6.(of course had a number of days,long days,with zero as well) Was very slow during rifle and post rut but yesterday had two bucks heads down chasing again.More fun coming. I’m still doing the opposite,hunting pinches in the AM.Big deer around my area too skittish yet to show pre dark in fields.

11-Dec-18
Good Luck Matte. I may make another trip over. I'm hearing the weather and roads for the rifle seasons were beyond bad. Maybe a few around still.

11-Dec-18
Still have my tag here an know of several others as well.

11-Dec-18
Had a chance at a good muley early but never got into the right position. I wasn't able to hunt the weekend after Thanksgiving, which is by far the most successful weekend for me over my years of bow hunting in the NW. I waited out the orange army and will be hunting the 14th-23rd, I've shot one buck on the 28th of December other than that I haven't had much luck this late, but it beats work any day. Good luck to all...

11-Dec-18
Still hoping for my first archery kill. I've had some close calls, but just haven't had enough time in the field this year. My wife started a full time college program on top of her full time job this fall. Needless to say, I've been carrying a larger share of the parenting and housework.

11-Dec-18
Still at it. I would much rather kill on in November, but sometimes I don't get it done.

I have taken 3 bucks on December 31, in the last 20 minutes of the season. So it can happen. But it won't if you are not there.

11-Dec-18
Zero in a 4 hour sit this AM but a beautiful morning!Had about a dozen hen turkeys go by.One coyote but no shot. Few does/fawns and 2 small bucks in neighbors cut beans just about sunset.

11-Dec-18
Season has been pretty sparse here so far but plan to be out some more. This week should be pleasant.

11-Dec-18
I'm still after it till the end. I have been throwing in more waterfowl and upland hunting though.

12-Dec-18
Zero tonite but this morning had a basket 8 chasing a group of does and fawns around. Head to ground charging them all but particularly fond of one fawn who he finally separated and disappeared with.

14-Dec-18
Hunted a pinch point this evening with zero results. Owner has cow/calf in the pasture I am hunting. That may have something to do with it.

14-Dec-18
Checked a cameras yesterday. Out of the bucks that begin with us this year I have photos of two that have survived rifle season. Now there are alot of trails and bean fields so I am sure there are more that have lived but boy it makes the motivation to go hunt that area diminish. Add to that the one deer I'm after has only allowed himself to be photographed in daylight twice.

14-Dec-18
I haven't checked my cameras since November 9th. Pretty excited to get after it again this weekend.

14-Dec-18
Big 9 point has showed up yesterday and this morning about 7 30. Only issue is every deer that walks by that stand comes from the south. But not this guy he comes from the north so its all or nothing.

14-Dec-18
So windy this AM sat on the ground. Zero. Crowding a bedding area tonite. At 3:50 had a possible candidate come out of the cedars close by but went back in. Nothing since. 2 small bucks on cams last nite.

14-Dec-18
Stay after it fellas and ladies. I was going to try to shoot a doe this weekend, but the forecast looks a little warm to hang a deer.

14-Dec-18
A big 4x4 muley I'd seen earlier in the year made it through rifle season, he was very skittish and wouldn't come out of the crp into the wheat with a group of does. He stepped out once for a couple minutes then he ran back into the crp and just hung out there for 30 minutes or so before turning and leaving.

14-Dec-18
He was bedded down by himself and the does picked him up on their way by. I didn't see him until the group went by and he stood up. He followed them across a 1/4 of crp about 150 yards behind them. It was too calm and quite tonight for me to try and stalk him so I just watched.

15-Dec-18
LuckyStrike,

Good luck. Hope to see his pic here soon.

16-Dec-18
34 does last night no bucks. All moved between 4 until ?ark.

16-Dec-18
Alarm went off the morning and I got up to get ready. Then I decided screw it and went back to bed. Lost motivation.

16-Dec-18
I need to get back out for a few more sit's, but after processing over a hundred deer for other people, I just can't seem to get motivated. Setting at the house just now and saw nine does & fawns, along with a small 8 pt. walk by within 20 yards of the front door!

16-Dec-18
6 bucks 12 does this morning. One 8 point might push 140s. All other bucks were small.

16-Dec-18
In the stand now. Couldnt climb in till 4. We will see what happens.

16-Dec-18
Good luck. I have been battling something all weekend fever just broke I hope for the last time. I hope to hunt tomorrow.

16-Dec-18
My son and I took down a dangerous stand and moved one and put up a new one. he is encouraging me to spend some time in them. Been pretty grim here this year with few sightings and funerals but will probably get out some. We ran into three guys calling yotes today "because deer season is over".

16-Dec-18
Saw 3. Same doe with 2 fawns I see every other sit. I had momma at 18 yds and the fawns even closer but cant bring myself to get any of them.

17-Dec-18
14 does last night 5:15 when they started moving.

17-Dec-18
Five does this evening. Good news is I hope to head out west and stalk Muleys one last time before the end of the season.

17-Dec-18
I think I may call it. Ran a saw in there tonight and a tractor pushed it into a pile I can burn. Not much happening on camera anyways. Tree slaying season has commenced.

18-Dec-18
One small 8 and 21 does last night.

18-Dec-18
Slow.Took 2 days off to kill coyotes.A couple nice bucks showed up on camera though but between 9pm and midnight.More n more does in fields as well.Rifle season wearing off slowly but this nice weather is frustrating from a hunting standpoint.

18-Dec-18
Slow.Took 2 days off to kill coyotes.A couple nice bucks showed up on camera though but between 9pm and midnight.More n more does in fields as well.Rifle season wearing off slowly but this nice weather is frustrating from a hunting standpoint.

18-Dec-18

LuckyStrike's embedded Photo
I was out this weekend and jumped this wounded buck. Unfortunately I was not able to get close enough for a shot. This is an area that I check every year after rifle season and he'll be the 3rd dead buck I've found in 8 years of hunting there. His back leg is covered with blood, he would never lay down and once he knew I was there he'd stay about 100 yards in front of me. I'm sure I'll find him when I go back there Thursday. This was 70 yards.

18-Dec-18
The KDOW&P will not kill him but I myself thinks this animal doesn't deserve the fate that awaits him by coyotes. Being eaten alive is not humane it's savage something that should be avoided I think anyways. GMPO

18-Dec-18
I would've tagged him if I had the opportunity. I know exactly what will happen to him if it hasn't already and I feel terrible that I couldn't get close enough. I watched him in this spot for an hour and a half, he didn't move at all. I tried to move up on him but he busted me and just kept moving out of range.

18-Dec-18
Sheriff deputies and wardens will kill wounded or sick deer.

18-Dec-18
Great night out in Western Kansas. I had two bucks bee lining it my way but wind shifted. One was at least 30" wide but not heavy. The other was really heavy but not real wide. I have till Friday. I have a spot holding some good deer. Just flat as it gets with nothing but fence lines and tumble weeds for cover.

19-Dec-18
8 does tonight .

19-Dec-18
A lonely doe @ 5 yards in front of my blind@6:30 am. squirrels till 11 and left for lunch. After lunch I made my way to my best spot. But didn't stay cause the stock cows ate the safety straps off my Lone Wolf climber. couldn't believe it, and they ate 25 ft. of parachute cord . Two Tcams were buckless/with 2 flatheads since Sat. last. Came home dejected and frustrated . Can't compete with a recurve when my opponents have 270's & AR15's. Seasons not over till it's over right men? I'll be out there in the morning someplace. 9:45 pm bed time for this 71year old. Good Luck Y'all

19-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Fun day today. Coyote, two herds of some really fast pronghorn the kicked up dust running away. Lots of wind but zero deer. Did I mention there were so many tumble weeds chasing each other across the prairie it looked like a Bison herd at times.

19-Dec-18
Good night Brethren .

19-Dec-18
Pheasants? Quail? Matt Just wondering.

20-Dec-18
"Sheriff deputies and wardens will kill wounded or sick deer."

Yeah, whatever Thornton. Once again you couldn't be more wrong but please continue to post your opinions as fact.

The Kansas world according to Thornton. Great title. You should write a fictional novel sometime.

20-Dec-18
Decent bucks on camera again. Not any am hoping to see but.... Zero yesterday AM in fog,even the squirrels didn’t move. Right at dark had a bunch of does,fawns and 2 small bucks come out of the creek bottom,go under the stand and into the field.Pinned me for 45 minutes before working off.

20-Dec-18
Last two days zero deer. Checked all my favorite spots including a 12 miles on foot. Still no deer. From Hamilton County down to Mortan and East to Grant County. Just amazed where I found multiple small pockets of 5-7 Mule Deer back in November are now all gone. Good feed cover and water just not here anymore. I will give this area one more evening then call it quits for the area.

20-Dec-18
I am going in the morning and depending on what I see it may be my last deer hunt for the season.

20-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Set up at a corner crossing. Heads up decoy out. Wind is dying down. Fingers crossed. I did get to make a stalk earlier this afternoon. I could see a doe and figured there should be more deer. I got within 40 and could see antler tips. Blew a fawn bleat they both stood up but tiny Tim got a pass. Only a three by three that will be better next year.

21-Dec-18
Never stop learning right? Well I have only hunted this property five times and it's 2800 acres. I walked this fence line and found two trails three hundred yards from where I set up. Where I set up was a huge trail as well. My gut said to split the distance and as I cought site of any deer I could move along the weedline and get into position. I didn't trust my gut and missed a slam dunk opertunity as I only made 170 yards of the 200 yards needed. I grabbed the Heads Up Decoy and started bringing a buck in. He was well on his way when I heard a snort behind and down wind of me. A dink came in from behind and winded me. In the future I think two full bodied decoys set up will see alot of action. Headed home last night empty handed but excited for this area next year.

21-Dec-18
I woke up, decided I didnt want to hunt, and went back to bed. Shouldve been in the stand yesterday evening. Big 9 point was 20 yards from my stand.

21-Dec-18
I am still at it and have one place that has a lot deer feeding on the Soybeans. There is about an acre that did not get cut because the field was too wet. A week ago I watched 32 deer come into the field. At least 12 were bucks. Two of which I would have been happy to put my tag on. I was in somewhat of an observation stand and none come by me. I moved a stand to the area where 20 of them came out on Sunday and let a 10 point pass that I believe to be an old deer on his way down, hoping one of the larger bucks would show. They did not. The 10 point has very short tines and will not score at all.

I will get out again over the next 4 days and the 10 point does not get another pass. Does are also on the menu as I have an unfilled antlerless tag.

21-Dec-18
Lotsa deer this AM.Early despite the moon.4 bucks;spike,6,8 and 8.One 8 was enuf to make me reach for the bow when I got the first poor glimpse.Sitting in very heavy cover,pines and cedars, just off the NW corner of an opening which they no longer want to enter.Modest but tricky NW wind.Would drop a piece of cattail fluff and it would initially go SE into the opening but then swing back into the woods.Swung enuf at times that a couple got me.Finally left because of it. Too calm n nice,taking evening off.

21-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
More to come

21-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Great blood

21-Dec-18
Right on!

21-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
He will be fun to score. Teaser pic

21-Dec-18
Wow. He looks awesome! Congrats!

21-Dec-18
Sito I'll let you know he may get close to a magic number. Oh I'll also post more pictures here after bit.

21-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Sito he didn't hit the magic number. Oh well what long year. Full of pain and learning.

21-Dec-18
Neat deer! Was he 160"s?

21-Dec-18
Unofficial quick tape he is right at 183". 18 scorable points. He was shorter on the main beams. I guessed him at 190" from a few photos but I thought his mains were 24". Three years of history on this buck glad he finally gave me a chance to see him.

21-Dec-18
Huge! You have a front pic?

21-Dec-18
Awesome buck Matt, congrats!! I can only hope to blood trail a deer like that one day!

21-Dec-18
Congrats on a great buck, Matte!

22-Dec-18
Nice job Matte! Late season to boot! Can't wait to see more pics.

22-Dec-18
Late season giant...congrats bud!

22-Dec-18
Wow,beauty,congrats!

22-Dec-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Another picture

22-Dec-18
Old brute, quite an accomplishment congrats again man! Hope to see him in Feb!

22-Dec-18
Sit 52 of the year and still at it, for the last few years I have only been hunting 1 deer. After he was killed last year, I shot one on 12/24. The one I killed 3 years before that was on 12/24. If you stick with it and don't just shoot a decent deer, big ones can still be had. I wish it was 30 degrees cooler, but you cant shoot a big one on the couch.

22-Dec-18
What a beast. Congrats!

22-Dec-18
Another great AM.7 does/fawns and one decent buck.Got to be above decent though..Fun in this weather but likely futile.Of course,then there is the Matte deer/factor so lightning can still strike. Been fiddling/tuning some new Victory Xtorsion arrows this afternoon.Just bought a half dozen to try.Heavy suckers!Gonna hurt m if I hit m.

22-Dec-18
Congratulations. That is a Possibility of a buck.. I have to ask what broadhead are you using??

22-Dec-18
Dixie,

I have always used Dale Perry's original Grave Digger. He sold that head to Big Bill but know has a new design and it is deadly accurate and leaves a massive blood trail. Look for it to be on the market 2019.

23-Dec-18

Ksgobbler's embedded Photo
Waiting on a good wind. This morning wasnt it. Thia guy still passing through

23-Dec-18
Awesome! Congrats Matte! That is a brute and a fitting reward for your late season efforts.

23-Dec-18
Sit 54, lots of does and fawns last night and this am, a few small bucks including one that was large bodied and shed both sides, not broken off, bloody skull.

23-Dec-18
Good luck...to the guys and gals still holding a tag.

24-Dec-18
Tonight I saw the same deer as last night, still holding out. The good thing, the decent deer I pass have a hood chance of making it to great deer next year, I think my neighbors have given up.

24-Dec-18
Tonight I saw the same deer as last night, still holding out. The good thing, the decent deer I pass have a good chance of making it to great deer next year, I think my neighbors have given up.

24-Dec-18
Getting ready to walk out the back door.

24-Dec-18
Good luck keep us posted. I'll be resting up till after Christmas.

24-Dec-18
The minute I walked out the back door deer were blowing. I dont know if they could see me or what. It carried on till I climbed into the stand. Saw 2 does about 8 and that is it. I am thinking about same stand tonight. They should be bedded south of me.

If I wouldve chose the other stand those does walked right by it...

24-Dec-18
I only hunt evenings this time of year. Observe at a safe distance in the morning go in about 2:30 for an evening sit.

24-Dec-18
Had another great AM.Went against the grain and all reason and put out ‘bucky’ my decoy.Didn’t work but was very interesting.Between 11 and 14 does saw it and blew and ran for the most part although 2 big does stiff legged to about 40yds before doing so.4 small bucks showed up over the course of the morning.None approached the decoy but all,after minutes of staring,entered the woods and walked around behind me trying to get a better look and get downwind.Everyone of them would have died had they been bigger.I think this late decoy stuff deserves a bit of thought cause in the right set up this showed it could work. Matte if we had cold weather and I had a good food source,agree 100% with evenings only. Merry Christmas all!

24-Dec-18
Had another great AM.Went against the grain and all reason and put out ‘bucky’ my decoy.Didn’t work but was very interesting.Between 11 and 14 does saw it and blew and ran for the most part although 2 big does stiff legged to about 40yds before doing so.4 small bucks showed up over the course of the morning.None approached the decoy but all,after minutes of staring,entered the woods and walked around behind me trying to get a better look and get downwind.Everyone of them would have died had they been bigger.I think this late decoy stuff deserves a bit of thought cause in the right set up this showed it could work. Matte if we had cold weather and I had a good food source,agree 100% with evenings only. Merry Christmas all!

24-Dec-18

Over my left shoulder
Over my left shoulder
Out front.
Out front.
Sitting in a different stand tonight. No cameras near it so who knows what will happen. Hasnt been hunted in 3 weeks. Only been back there once to push a pile up with a tractor. They like to bed on thick no hunting land south of me. I am watching the trail headed towards food. Lets see what happens.

24-Dec-18

1615 Coyote at 30 yds

24-Dec-18
Good luck Matt...pullin for ya!

24-Dec-18
1630 momma and fawn went by 80 yds out in front. Momma is limping bad. They just went down my SxS trail that leads to my beehives. They came from the south and very spooky. Same area I last saw the coyote.

24-Dec-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo
Great deer Matte and congrats to all , I’m heading up to farm Wednesday and going to try and close the deal . Got 3 shooters left that I know made it so far .

24-Dec-18
I didnt see squat besides those 2. Tomorrow afternoon is the curtain call.

24-Dec-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo
Another decent buck

24-Dec-18

Dmac's embedded Photo
Dmac's embedded Photo

25-Dec-18
Went out early am. Popped a blind on WIHA had tracks but no deer. Two sets of coon hounds and a bunch of deer tracks . came home around 9:30 am. Today made over 85 days in the field. NM, PT, and JA Counties with deer hunting at it's all time low . IMO On Nov 17th I did have a chance 0n day55 which was a clean miss.

25-Dec-18
The Mrs tagged a doe this evening, she was excited to get one on the ground. She might be able to get out one more time to try and tag a buck, we’ll see. I still have a doe tag I’d like to fill. I wish it would hurry up and get cold!

25-Dec-18
2" of rain wednesday and thursday. Yippie. Wife is on me about not killing a doe. It just seems like alot less deer than last year.

25-Dec-18
54 degrees on December 25th not the best weather for a big one to show up. But I'm out and hopeful.

25-Dec-18
Im out ad well. Wind cant get more perfect for this stand. Wife is on me about getting some meat. Hoping to see a doe without fawn or that injured doe with fawn tonight. If a mature buck wants to make an appearance I wont complain.

25-Dec-18
Good luck guys

25-Dec-18
Saw 4 deer, 1 coyote, and 2 coons. I had the injured doe at 16 yds but couldnt draw without getting picked. They went a little further out and stood broadside for a couple minutes looking away. I had forgot my rangefinder and couldnt remember what I had ranged the nearest tree tube so she got to live. Thats the last hunt of the season unless I pick up the rifle during doe only. Be careful I am hearing numerous reports of shed bucks. The little spike tonight only had one side.

26-Dec-18
1 broke up 10 point and 3 does. Will hunt everyday until the end unless I tag out before that.

26-Dec-18
I got out yesterday morning hoping for a nice Christmas present. I need an Easterly wind to hunt the one stand that is on the property where I have pictures of a 6X6, so I went there. He did not keep his appointment. Zero deer sighted.

I went to another property yesterday evening. About 4:00 P M a good ten point was spotted going in the wrong direction. Out of desperation I tried a grunt call. He did not like it and moved away faster. I did have a spike and 3 point try to tempt me, but they get a pass for a couple of more years. 10 does and fawns fed out of range. They knew to stay away. Four bucks and 14 antlerless spotted, only the spike and 3 point came into range..

Matte great buck. Way to enjoy the whole season.

26-Dec-18
Wet n cold n now VERY windy but they are now moving. Didn’t see a deer til 10.15 when sun popped out briefly.

26-Dec-18
Very wet today but did see 3 bucks and 4 does. One I would've shot but stayed out at 80 yds.

27-Dec-18
2 does 3 fawns . Glad I was in the blind . Was really cool watching the deer shake like dogs when they got to wet. Also one of the does had about a 4 inch long black mane. Second time I've ever seen that. Trying to get the motivation to go out in this wind.

27-Dec-18
Ditto.Still light rain here as well.Thankfully have been hunting thick stuff so hoping not quite as bad in there. Better than at home in NE SoDak.Forecasted blizzard.16 inches with 45 mph winds.Talked to neighbor and he was frantically grinding corn for his new calves.Sounds pretty bad.Scheduled to head home New Year’s day with a high of minus 6 there.ugh!

27-Dec-18
Still in hunt routine up at four am. Noticed myself grabbing for the scent free soap instead of regular shampoo. Good luck to the guys and gals still at it. My oldest still has a buck tag but I doubt he gets back out this year.

27-Dec-18
Only 1 doe and 2 fawns tonight. Boy the wind was howling. Back at it in the morning. My buddy had a giant at 80 yds tonight wouldn't come in.

27-Dec-18
It was a bit chilly tonight. Supposed to be cold and windy all day tomorrow. Hoping food on the south side of bedding is the ticket. Tag soup doesn’t sound good.

27-Dec-18
I am just waiting till the January season to get some deer meat.

28-Dec-18
Please TRY to refrain from culling the herd by shooting a doe in the Jan. season. Some will say there are XX number of does on my ground but forget that this time of year deer YARD up . Meaning they may come from several sections which may appear to be a good number of deer. I may have saw 50 deer sightings in 85+ days afield. I have hunted all my life and my cave is loaded with critters. I'll be 72 in the spring and will till the hunting public if the doe \ antlerless buck hunting in Jan. doesn't stop the youth will not continue to hunt. I had a farmer ask me in the café in Wetmore Ks. that his bottom ground in the 70 may have 150 deer in the dead of winter and now he may see 15 of a night. In 1974 I hunted every morning and at the end of the season I counted up the sightings marked on the calendar . The tally was 534 deer sightings setting in a stand. that hooked me for life on bowhunting. I moved my family from Sabetha to Longmont to bow hunt Colorado . That's a longer story but the point I am trying to make is that hunting is not even close to what it once was in Nemaha County. The deer have been culled to the Insurance lobbyists whims . Bottom line is ( I've said it 3 or 4 years now) please leave your guns at home in Jan. or go kill a coyote or two. Thanks for considering it . JC aka Rambo

28-Dec-18
Maybe in Nemaha county this is true. But the buck to doe ratio is so out of whack in the counties I hunt it's kinda crazy that kdwpt doesn't manage the buck harvest. It's been proven by every spotlight study I've been able to go on with the local biologist. Our buck to do ratio last year in November was 32 to 1. And the 1 was not mature bucks by any means. It really woke me up to how many bucks are being killed in my area. Way more than I thought. Kansas isn't the trophy state it once was and probably never will be again. Not sure how much longer it will last before the bubble burst. But when you have guys willing to spend millions of dollars to kill deer not sure there is much hope for the regular guy hunting permission and public ground. I have a good friend from Wisconsin and just in the last year he has spent over 1 million on ground, implements, side by side buggies and tractors. Just to try and kill big deer. Definitely not worth it to me but I hunt because I love to hunt not for the result of a big buck. If I kill one that would be great if I don't well at least I got to enjoy nature and what she had to offer. But if the state says you can kill 5 does or 7 does and it's legal then I will not tell someone they shouldn't kill them. That is what our state elected officials decided and the big game commission have decided. So as long as your legal it should be your decision no one else's.

28-Dec-18
Lotta hours to see 1 doe yesterday.Weatherwise,today should be much better.

28-Dec-18
We need to kill a sh!t pot full of does at my place.

28-Dec-18
Are you sure they aren't grouped up? Most of the year I only have 8-12 does visiting my place. However, in summer and early fall the ratio is 1:1. A lot of hunters don't realize that summer, late winter, and early fall the bucks will group up like the does and travel separately. I've seen up to 12 bucks in a herd with no does in sight

28-Dec-18
The biggest killer of does and eventual fawns in our area was the regional ehd outbreak in 2012; most of the mature does died, taking with them the ability to successfully raise fawns. It took over 5 years to recover from that 2012 kill!

28-Dec-18
I have to agree with Rambo about Nemaha County. I have been hunting Nemaha since 2011 and 2018 was by far the worst season as far as deer sightings. Quality of bucks has definitely drastically decreased as well. Hoping that it will turn around, but it doesn't look likely. The biggest change in the past 7 years that has affected the hunting, IMO, is allowing crossbows to be used by anyone. Just converted the gun hunters to have access to hunting the peak rut. Same thing happens in Michigan (except they can use guns starting Nov. 15th), and people slaughter deer here. Just my opinions.

29-Dec-18
I just don't understand the science behind wanting to kill so many deer. You can only kill 3 turkeys in my unit now. And as far as I know turkeys will reproduce way faster then deer. 1 hen may have 15 to 30 eggs a year. 1 doe usually might produce 2 fawns a year. I've never seen over 100 deer in a field in my life here but turkeys I've seen several hundred. You can't shoot hens during the breeding season but you can shoot does all season and even have a separate doe season. Maybe we need to make the turkey biologist the deer biologist.

29-Dec-18
Turkeys generally do not do that much damage to vehicles when hit.

29-Dec-18
Back in the thick stuff this AM.Lotsa action again and one buck I almost shot.8yds. Damn I luv it!

29-Dec-18
Yes I know Matte but I was saying as a biologist stand point and nature. Not the insurance companies reasons.

29-Dec-18
Anyways enough about stuff that won't change. 7 does this morning 0 bucks.

29-Dec-18
Wife talked me into going out tonight. 410 the buck I am after comes down the trail. Stops just on the other side of the property line. I get ready. He has 4 other bucks with him i dont see and they spook. He goes by at a dead run as close as 15 yds and gone. I am dejected.

29-Dec-18
Got picked off again trying to draw with does all around. Saw 8 does and 5 bucks including the one I was after

29-Dec-18
Man that sucks....couple of days left. Good luck.

29-Dec-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
I found an active scrape a few days ago and saw a mature buck with a swollen neck following a doe tonight

29-Dec-18
Antlerhunter - you’re comparing apples to grapes. Predation in turkeys is much higher, their reproduction much more impacted by weather. And, the deer belong to the people of Kansas, 80-90 percent of whom think we have too many. Good luck to all still hunting.

30-Dec-18
That is exactly my point writer. I just wish someone in the state legislature would start comparing apples to apples. So if the deer belong to the people of kansas why don't the people of kansas set the seasons and harvest quotas and decide how many buck tags to give out. And I was being a bit of a smart ass with that post. Believe me I've been to the meetings I've written my state Representative and called I've tried contacting the governor all fell on deaf ears. On your 80 to 90 percent where did you get that number. Every Kansas sportsmen I know will tell you the deer hunting isn't as good as it once was. Hell just look at every post on here on the non residents ruining the hunting and the guys not wanting anyone to shoot does.

30-Dec-18
I’m guessing 80-90% of Kansas residents are not sportsman.

30-Dec-18
If you let the people decide then we will be otc all the deer you can shoot.

Worthwhile sitting the same stand as last night? Wind is good.

30-Dec-18
Man Matt I don't want to know the people you know.

30-Dec-18
Saw zero tonight.

30-Dec-18
Neighbors done and told me to try their land.Fun 2 days in new area,new stands I trimmed etc.Welcome break.Same results though.Quite a few deer,few bucks,none interested in. Day to go. What happened to the cold late season?

31-Dec-18
Jason, Is that a vine that naturally swings down over that scrape? I have been seeing a lot of people use grape vines, etc. that stay green for an extended period of time. I have good luck with oak limbs, but that is interesting. Either way, that looks like an awesome setup. Those scrapes in particular are what fire me up as a communication sign post for the entire season. Very neat.

31-Dec-18
The Fat Lady sang for me yesterday evening. I hunted both morning and evening. In the morning I had a small buck in range and let him go. I saw a buck I would have shot across the creek from me but he went the other way. The evening hunt produced sighting of about 12 antlerless deer all stayed out of range. I had a good year spending a lot of time in the woods. I will admit I gave one doe a close save on the 22nd. A big pile of hair by the arrow but no blood on arrow. The doe none the worse for the miss. I shot low which is unusual for me. When I miss it is usually high.

31-Dec-18
11 am I'm headed out for the umpteen time. enie, menie, mynie mo don't really matter which way I go. 1972 I harvested a doe 15 min. after sundown

31-Dec-18
Good luck!Woke up to steady rain and weakness prevailed,back to bed.Sounds like rain is soon done but with tomorrow’s forecast may end up pulling stands and blinds rather than hunting.Easier when wet than when frozen and despite horrific weather at home,am pulling out til Spring turkey.Great season here and appreciate the people and opportunity very much. Good hunting all!

31-Dec-18
Signed my tag 12/28/18 on a nice 8 point I was happy to get shot him at 15 yards an watched him pile up from my stand. Good luck to those out today !!!

01-Jan-19

Saw several nice bucks today while scouting for waterfowl. I'm glad they made it

• Sitka Gear