PaKL2188 10-Dec-18
SD BuckBuster 12-Dec-18
Griz34 16-Dec-18
Brotsky 17-Dec-18
Griz34 17-Dec-18
PaKL2188 18-Dec-18
Brotsky 19-Dec-18
10-Dec-18
Hey guys, new to the site and forums in general so i applogize if this topic is beat to death or in the wrong place. I am planning on doing my first Muley hunt early to mid sept of 2019. I am waiting to hear from a buddy of mine to see if he can go but may be heading out myself (I'm from PA). I was just looking to try and get some information on your tags (I saw you have to apply). Also looking for any tips on spot and stalking muleys, areas of the state to begin looking where to hunt ( what parts of the state have good population/ maybe less pressure). I am not nieve enough to ask for your spots or anything, I hunt Pa public ground trust me I get it. Can you camp in the field or do i need to look for camp grounds? Any other information you can think of that maybe useful, as I maybe missing something, I would really appreciate it. Feel free to DM me. Thanks guys, hope you all had a good 2018 season, and enjoy your holidays.

12-Dec-18
You have to apply for an archery tag but you are guaranteed to get it. It's just different in that unless you are at a SDGFP office you cannot buy one over the counter. SO, Apply and you're in.

In regards to your other questions,,, I would call the Pierre or Rapid City GFP office and just start asking questions. Unlike most every other state the GFP will refer to you as a customer and actually picks up the phone! You will be amazed at how easy it is to have a real conversation and get most or all of your questions answered. I would be prepared to type as fast as you can listen so you can get your notes on paper. Fire up your computer and give em a call. Message me if you have any other questions.

Good luck.

16-Dec-18
One option you don't hear much about on here is tribal licenses. Each individual tribe has their own website and regulations, so you'd have to research each reservation and decide which one suits your needs. I've looked into doing one of these hunts but just haven't due to cost. It's anywhere from $200 to $700 for a non-member depending on the tribe, and I think most sell the tags on a first come first served basis. The seasons normally start earlier too. The few times I've visited taxidermy shops and meat lockers near a reservation the biggest bucks are many times killed on tribal lands. If I don't draw an elk tag next year I plan to hunt the Cheyenne River just for a different experience and to get away from the crowds.

17-Dec-18
FYI...if you do decide to try a tribal hunt I believe you are required to use a registered guide on tribal lands if you are a non-tribal member. Not 100% on that but something to look into to see if that is a requirement or not.

17-Dec-18
Thats true for some, but not all, it depends on the tribe.

18-Dec-18
Thank you guys for the info! I do plan to call GFP as well. After looking at OnX, I think I am going to try to focus west of Edgemont and south, southwest of Provo, maybe even east of Rumford. Anyone familiar with the areas? Kinda hard to tell from the map what the terrain is like, and curious how the deer population is (Mule deer and Whitetail). Thanks again guys!

19-Dec-18
NW of Edgemont would be a better choice if you are looking in that area. The terrain is pretty mild, broken hills and coulee country, you'll have some cedars and ponderosa's. Get up high in the mornings and afternoons and let your glass do the walking. Put them to bed and kill your buck. Make sure you pick out some landmarks around your buck for the final stalk, this country all looks the same once you move in for the kill, good to have a landmark to use to make sure you hit the X. Enjoy your hunt!

• Sitka Gear