Fatbass 11-Dec-18
Straight Arrow 11-Dec-18
Fatbass 11-Dec-18
RobinHood 12-Dec-18
ROUGHCOUNTRY 22-Feb-19
ROUGHCOUNTRY 22-Feb-19
Larry 16-Mar-19
11-Dec-18
Good morning. Guys, I'm an experienced elk hunter but have never hunted elk in Montana. After doing some internet research I'm leaning hard on district 3. I'm a bivouac hunter that enjoys packing in a few miles . I'm not asking for anyone's hunting area, simply asking for some basic starting points where a hard hunting guy can pack in and locate some elk. I have hunted central Idaho and NW Wyoming, and realize the steepness of the country and the presence of Grizzlies. Thank you and merry Christmas. Joe Owens

11-Dec-18
There is no district 3. There is Region 3, with many smaller Hunting Districts (eg; HD 312), each with their individual elk license and permit characteristics. Go to the Montana FWP website and look at the map(s) for Region 3 HDs, then read about each HD. That will help you get started considering where you may want to hunt.

11-Dec-18
Thank you. Happy holidays.

12-Dec-18
If I was planning a non-resident, bivouac hunt, I’d start with National Forest maps to locate roadless areas large enough to accommodate my hunting style. USFS Travel Maps (where are the roads and which are closed), USGS Topo (terrain) and Aerial maps (ground cover), and Street View maps could all be helpful. There is also information available at the Montana State Library on land ownership (cadastral), topo and aerial mapping. Once you’ve narrowed your search down to a few possible areas, I’d call the Region 3 Biologist(s) and talk to them about various areas; hunting pressure, elk populations during the time period I plan on hunting, etc. Finaly, there is nothing like a pre-season, late-summer scouting trip to help you understand what the country really looks like.

Don’t forget to submit your NR hunting license application before the March 15 deadline.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Robinhood...............

22-Feb-19
If you can get into the back country you might connect with an elk. Though don't be fooled by the high elk numbers. Most elk reside on private land or leased land by outfitters. https://billingsgazette.com/outdoors/map-shows-m-private-acres-leased-by-hunting-outfitters/article_6182b210-5afc-5495-8f6c-771b921754a5.html

https://billingsgazette.com/outdoors/elk-bill-joint-resolution-pit-landowners-vs-hunters-in-montana/article_862bd299-ee93-51db-9f37-a4f97456e6bc.html

22-Feb-19
If you can stumble upon a honey hole far from roads, you'll have hit the mother lode in elk hunting. Good luck and you seem willing to put forth the effort...…..I have a similar plan in a high hunter density area that I am very familiar with. The risk is putting all your eggs in one basket and losing time packing back out and changing areas if it doesn't pan out.

I have a plan B and plan C that I'm less confident in but will move if the week I choose happens to have other hunters with the same idea. I'm familiar with areas A,B and C from previous years hunting, so don't be discouraged if you take a few years to get dialed in.

22-Feb-19
I started my plan in a new unit last year and wasn't prepared to deal with extra scouting and being able to stay in far enough...…….I'm ready this year if I draw successfully but it cost me an elk probably if I'd been in my old area. I did pass up two calves, one cow and one small rag horn too far back in.

I nearly killed myself and got lost....gave up the next day but luckily killed a whitetail buck for consolation. Just food for thought...…...

16-Mar-19
The old theory was to get back a couple of ridges and you will find the elk. My first thought was hike into one of the wilderness areas. But, after thinking about it for a minute, I thought that in today's world, I believe, the wolves have pushed the elk down closer to civilization. Look more toward areas that have been burnt in the last few years that will have better feed. Then hunt the fringes of the heavy timber beside that.

• Sitka Gear