slingNsticks 16-Jul-19
sitO 16-Jul-19
Thornton 16-Jul-19
12-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Was gonna change this part to "Snarky's" Live Hunt...but that would just be too snarky ;?)

I've still got a doe tag, as does Mark...Mike's still holding his buck tag, and I might take a few others. I've been after waterfowl and Sandhill Cranes...but haven't had any luck on either yet.

Going to sit a spot this afternoon, where there have been lots of doe's late season in the past, and see what's moving.

Good luck if you're still after'm...aint over til...

12-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:48pm...

I'm on the ground this evening, you've been here before. Three trails out front coming from the river bed in front, out to the cut beans behind...they all converge at this spot.

Wind is perfect SSE and between 8-15mph...it was 53° at the truck. I'm on a mission for jerky!

12-Dec-18
Dang man, nice dekes and spread. I've always wanted to shoot a Sandhill but have never had the chance. Shot tons of everything else (except snows), just no cranes.

12-Dec-18
5:04pm....

Nothing on its feet here yet, but I was sitting here staring into the timber and a Kestrel( I believe) swooped around the edge of this cedar and literally landed on my head for a split second...scared the crap outta me!

Jason, we've got some great decoys, at least they look great lol...we've been several times just sitting there admiring them as the geese flew over? I'll have to tell my Crane story later...yet another fail...but one of my favorite quotes is this " there's no such thing as a failure who keeps trying"!

12-Dec-18
Nice pic of the geese spread Sito. Is that someone harvesting in the background?

12-Dec-18
5:25pm...

Just had a fawn being chased by three very young bucks run by at 30-40yds

Yes James, just gettin to those beans last weekend...its a river bottom and I reckon it was just too wet to get to them til now?

12-Dec-18
6:01pm...

That's a wrap...did see one other fawn and another young broken up buck. I wouldn't advise anyone to hunt tomorrow in that wind...but I'm thinkin this weekend could certainly hold signs of a second rut considering what I saw tonight.

12-Dec-18
Here's the chase from tonight...and at the end a reason to keep some cedars around, can you guess why?

17-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:29pm...

Back into the same spot this afternoon E of Argonia...on the ground. Lots of fresh tracks on the trails out front, but I don't think this spot is being used as much as last year.

When I left the other night there were 5-6 deer out to the N of me that had entered the field from a different area, could be that they snuck by me to the West.

It's around 55° and light winds from the SSE...just need one to make a mistake.

17-Dec-18
Good luck. In the deep woods along the river looking for something special.

17-Dec-18
4:48pm...

Dead still here...hope your target makes a showing tonight Matte!

17-Dec-18
5:35pm...

Two doe's and two fawns popped out on the edge of the timber 70yds E of me a few minutes ago but they headed N towards the beans...no shot.

17-Dec-18
Not tonight...but I just pulled out of the "fracking station" parking lot and had a group over over 25 doe's and fawns run in front of me. It was like a herd of Elk...crazy!

17-Dec-18
Enjoying your ride this year Kyle. And they said it had to be Jap built to last that long :)

17-Dec-18
Well you finally surpassed me on mileage on the truck. I haven't driven my old truck near what I used to. As always enjoying following along. Take care.

18-Dec-18
7:18am...

I've been set up here for a bit, hunting the same stand I made the bad shot on the Bobcat near Attica. Going to see if I can get another to visit...but if a doe swings through she'll also be on the menu.

Thanks Dave & Chris, just hoping the ol'girl can make it to Hutch in Feb...hope to see you both there and share some stories!

Wind is ESE here this morning, but almost non-existent...its around 33°

18-Dec-18
Good luck man.

18-Dec-18
Good luck Sit, I'm sitting at my desk thinking about how nice of a morning it is and wishing I was out there

18-Dec-18
7:59am...

Had a doe and fawn started towards me right at first light...she picked me off.

It is a nice morning Fran...and I hate desks ;?)

18-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
9:15am...

No cats, no dogs, no deer

Let the caller run for 1.5hrs this time, I'll probably hear that dying bird in my sleep tonight lol.

One of the locusts I "hinged" a few years ago is providing some good cover...view from stand and ground.

19-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
7:29am...

I'm late...I'm late...for a somewhat important...

Set up on the ground SE of Argonia this morning...fog was intense on the way down. I had to take'r down to 20-30mph the last 20mi. Got two heavy trails out front and the river behind, looking for a big doe.

No wind right now but should be SW and light soon...was 43° at the house, but 32° when I pulled in here.

19-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
8:51am...

Well, no deer yet, but this guy just snuck in on me...who needs a hat?

19-Dec-18
The Mrs is headed out this evening, hopefully they're moving a little better!

19-Dec-18
Great to hear you guys still at it , I went to farm and the stage is set . I think I’ve got them figured out finally! Hay Bale Blind is my best creation yet . Highly anticipating last days of December. Spypoint camera has been very beneficial considering I’m 3 1/2 hrs away . Going to be awesome . Good luck to all

19-Dec-18
10:11am...

I'm out.

Thinkin the fog had them locked down, or I just suck...didnt see a deer. I think evenings are much better right now, hope she has good luck tonight James!

24-Dec-18

MBabs's embedded Photo
MBabs's embedded Photo
A little finality for me. Hit this guy last night...not where I intended thanks to an unseen branch that altered arrow flight a bit. Liver/paunch hit that forced us (sitO and I) to back out and let him expire overnight after seeing him walking, but looking pretty weak. Found him about 9:00am in a nasty thick wood lot within 100 yds or so of last sighting. Busted main beam left side and some sort of injury on the right side stunted growth. Obviously not breaking any records, but last night was very likely my last opportunity of the year, so I'm grateful for having another chance, and the fact I ended up with some meat in the freezer.

So thats my 2018 conclusion after an ungodly number of hours hunting, passing many solid bucks, and flubbing opportunities on a few awesome deer. Wish I could have killed this guy cleaner. That's all I really wanted after my screw ups throughout the year, but it's still a filled tag, no spoiled meat, and found him before the coyotes. And he'll most definitely taste better than tag soup.

Overall an amazing season which was just full of opportunities and amazing hunts that are unmatched from my prior years. Learned a ton this year hunting with others....and hopefully learned something from my many mistakes. Met some great new hunting buddies in Kyle and Mark too. I just feel incredibly blessed for the opportunities, experiences, and newfound friendship.

I would not put it past Kyle to add few more entries to this before all is said and done. But I'm out-only upland birds for me now.

Good luck to anyone still hunting-still tons of deer out there.

24-Dec-18
Heckuva year Mike, glad we found him this morning and glad to have been a part of it sir...congrats again!

Mark and I still have doe tags, so not completely over yet but surely close! Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all get to spend time with your families and friends!

30-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
3:39pm...

Back out this evening still looking to fill a doe tag. At my "ground blind" again E of Argonia...in the cedars there and I've got the HUD set up just left of me. Wanted to see how they might react to it this late in the season.

This area has a lot of seeps/springs and I'm basically sitting in 2-3" of water but I cut a bunch of Cedar bows and I've got a low profile seat to keep me mostly dry. It's 42° and wind from the S gusting to 15+ but will be laying down towards dark.

30-Dec-18
4:56pm...

Watching a young 8 back in the timber dogging a doe a little...head down pushing, but not hard. Several other doe's and fawns back in there but none have come out yet.

30-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Guess she wasn't "ripe"...he just headed towards the beans.

30-Dec-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
6:13pm...

Had a doe staring at the HUD, I grunted a couple times and she started my way? Got to around 45yds and then a fawn came running out behind her. She never came closer, they both headed to the beans like the others.

I knew they were going N of this set, saw it happening the last time I hunted here. I shoulda set up a couple hundred yds N but really didn't have time to cut out another cedar this afternoon.

15-20 deer down there, and another 20+ driving out again less than 1/2mi away.

I've only used my 4wd a couple times this Fall but sure glad I had it tonight...got sloppy!

30-Dec-18
I'm going to hunt tomorrow, could hunt all day. If anyone wants a different "view" for the last day, and could meet in Wichita @ 4:45/5am, shoot me a PM. I could put one or two in a stand...let me know ASAP.

02-Jan-19

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
WANTED:

Pasty White Sniper in Sumner County...4 shots 4 kills

Put Mark in a decent spot tonight ;?) Yes a rifle but he and his wife try not to buy any meat from the store...this will help!

02-Jan-19
Man, you are one motivated hunter.... I lose it every year around the first od December. I’ll blame it on the bird dogs.

03-Jan-19
that's a good day right there

04-Jan-19
really nice does, but how do those dogs eat?

04-Jan-19
You'd probably prefer yours between two buns Fran ;?)

05-Jan-19
With chillie

07-Jan-19

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Finished up 60#'s of Whitetail & Pronghorn Summer Sausage this morning.

Spicy | Pepperoni | Regular | Habenero BBQ

Lotta work, but so worth it!

07-Jan-19
Oh man! You’ll be eating good, Kyle. Just getting some snow goose jerky started myself.

07-Jan-19
You have to try that goose Pastrami recipe Kyler...you have to ;?)

08-Jan-19
It looked delicious in your pictures! That recipe certainly piques my interest, and I will be giving it a try in the near future.

15-Jul-19
you are the vittles king....... what flavor beer would go best them....

15-Jul-19
PBR of course

16-Jul-19

16-Jul-19
Good one jarid, your mother and I are very proud of you

16-Jul-19

16-Jul-19
Shew! ;?)

16-Jul-19
Most hilarious dialogue yet!

• Sitka Gear