Zim 19-Mar-19
Ridgethunder 19-Mar-19
Zim 19-Mar-19
BOHUNTER09 19-Mar-19
awh302 19-Mar-19
Ridgethunder 19-Mar-19
Zim 19-Mar-19
14-Dec-18
Anyone know when (date) the spring turkey 1st lottery draw is? Cant find any info on Il DNR site.

16-Dec-18
i think it’s in June or july

16-Dec-18
Deadline for 1st lottery is @ December 1st. Results posted prior to 2nd lottery deadline. FYI, Deadline for 2nd lottery is @ January 11th

16-Dec-18
Thanks

26-Dec-18
Draw results just posted. This surprised me as this is exceptionally early. Not only that but I drew my 1st choice for I think the first time ever. JEPC 2nd season. I think last two years I drew my 8th & 9th choices.

28-Feb-19
3rd lottery results just posted. I drew one of my lower picks, a 2nd season at Hamilton County CA in southern part of the state. One of the few I've never been to, but looks like they have a nice campgrounds and lots of birds harvested. Good turkey habitat. Will by my wife's first time hunting with me in the field.

05-Mar-19
Does anyone know how the leftover turkey tag OTC works? There's only a few available for the hunt I want. I thought for sure in the past I went online and still filled out a request list just like the first three lotteries? But the regs say "Remaining permits will go on sale over the counter at License Vendors on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning March 12, 2019, at 8 a.m.". Sounds like you can't buy them online. I guess I'll just go to a Walmart at 8 AM and try to buy one there.

06-Mar-19
Aren't you hunting in the State you live in now? ( Indiana) Head to the Indiana site for your State info. Bye--------->

06-Mar-19
Thanks Eustis!

09-Mar-19
Yes you have to go wait in line at a vendor at the 8 am on the 12th.

09-Mar-19
Hmmmm first problem. I'll be 50 miles inside Indiana on the 12th. Will have to call to see if there are any alternate methods.

10-Mar-19
Don't think you'll find one. It's a true "over the counter" just like shotgun county permits.

10-Mar-19
OK thanks. Not a big deal as I already have two IL tags and will have two in Wisconsin as well.

12-Mar-19
This morning OTC sales of remaining spring turkey permits was to begin. This has been planned and advertised for long a time. No surprises here though as the state is not prepared and the sales have been delayed to TBD. How predictable. Hopefully we'll all still get what we wanted but I doubt it. At least JB and co. have gotten the tax increases in flight though. I'm guessing Rauner is to blame.

12-Mar-19
I went in this morning to get my permit. Totally screwed up. Who knows what will happen next

12-Mar-19
I had an easy and friendly experience for deer firearm OTC. I went to an ace hardware store. I try to stay out of big box stores when I go in for hunting licenses/permits.

13-Mar-19
Available on 3/19

13-Mar-19
There’s no money left for even basic services. Only DNR site in the Midwest without an interactive GIS mapping feature of it’s public land. 1990’s technology. Now this. Very sad.

13-Mar-19
Yea, some of our DNR dept. seems mismanaged, or not concerned with the tools and resources that should be available for hunters. But that’s a whole other rant.

13-Mar-19
Can you find anything else to complain about? You have to be the most unhappy, dissatisfied person I’ve ever had the displeasure of listening to.

13-Mar-19
Screw em he's just some NR whiner now. Lol

14-Mar-19
I’m sorry but I call a spade a spade. It is what it is. What you want? For posters to put lipstick on a pig?

I’ve often said the ILDNR website sucked compared to other modern day states sites. Due to all the bought and paid for politicians and bloodsucking state employees & pensions. So what happens? Turkey OTC sales postponed one full week. So who is proven to be correct?

14-Mar-19
OK scouting season! So now let's go on the ILDNR website and check out the GIS interactive public land page for my next hunt...................oh, oh ya I forgot they don't have one.

Just bloated pensions.

14-Mar-19
Zim, You are just a ahole! Just one of those people that make others happy when you leave a room or a state. Beginning to see why wife #1 got rid of you. Bitch and complain is all you do.

14-Mar-19
There's a flip side to every coin. The real problem is those who gain great personal profit from a corrupt system, acknowledge the problem, but choose to continue actively participating while blaming others (union reps and politicians). They want to fly under the radar and not talk about the problem, or downplay the severity. While they majorly inconvenience guys like me who are forced to uproot their families and leave the state. And you have the audacity to call us complainers??? Really???

14-Mar-19
I would call ya a dummy, that’s what it sounds like to me. Or a follower, not a leader. Or a sad bitter soul. Or a punk

15-Mar-19
Guys lets face it. He is just far more intelligent than everyone from Illinois. I mean who else thinks to put their ss# on a public forum.

15-Mar-19
Welll... I started this thread asking a question,and I've followed all this without comment (as I have in the past when Zim has posted his opinion of Illinois) but now I need say,In this day and age if your foolish enough to post a picture of a document with your social security number on it on a public forum.....you may want to let the better half proof read your post's.

16-Mar-19
BTW, the delay in the permit sales had nothing to do with DNR. The new vendor for the tag sales machines sent out the units with no instructions on how to set them up or when to do it. I’m sure Kenny will find a way to blame the blood sucking state employees.

16-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Been crazy busy moving in last few days. Lots of tastes.

The greed is going to lead to default in 2021. Who pays 12% on borrowed money to pay it’s bills in this day and age of 4% rates? Oh ya Illinois. Indiana has had a budget surplus for years.

16-Mar-19
Wait what, where did that SS # and all the personal information go? Not as smart as you think.

And to be on topic I'll be out 2nd and 3rd season turkey hunting this year. It's been about 5 years since I killed one so I'm due.

16-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Rush job hiding from hail storm!
Zim's embedded Photo
Rush job hiding from hail storm!
It’s more like a result of being too exhausted moving to squeeze in 5 minutes to post. But luckily had my wife available to take over for me.

16-Mar-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Even these guys were getting nervous about being taxed to death.
Zim's embedded Photo
Even these guys were getting nervous about being taxed to death.

16-Mar-19
Got a DNR response to my email. It seems anyone can buy an OTC turkey permit in my absence. Only a DNR customer number needed.

18-Mar-19
Hope to be able to get a permit tomorrow. March 19. Let’s hope the system works this time.

18-Mar-19
Where are you guys trying to get a permit, private or state ground?

18-Mar-19
Talked with the girls at the office today and they said that the vendor had the issues worked out. Sales start at 8:00 sharp and don’t be late, you may miss out. Good luck.

18-Mar-19
Public 3 rd permit

19-Mar-19
Also just read on the ILDNR website that you can just phone in as well. No need to go in person. Lines will likely be tied up but definitely worth a shot for me.

Also just got some potential great news. Went to meet my new Indiana neighbors today and the guy to the north of me is the manager of an 80 acre farm which he claims is choked with deer and turkey and he wants them eradicated. Was virtually begging me to get out there and help myself. Checked out the farm & surrounding land and it looks slammer. Lots of timber and swamps included in the 80 acres and lots more surrounding. He said he counted a flock of 80 birds today. Seems too good to be true.

19-Mar-19
I got rejected at Walmart and Academy Sports wouldn’t sell me one. Finally got a tag over the phone after many attempts of calling and getting denied. What a great system.

19-Mar-19
Ya I'm 50 miles into Indiana, so wasn't going to drive that for a POS vendor, so relied on the phone. About gave up but after one hour and 100+ calls I got through. To my amazement they still had one of the only 12 Alexander County 1st season permits remaining. I had no second choice so I was pretty surprised. Probably the only reason I got it was because nobody else could get through either.

Also picked up a leftover in Wisconsin this morning, so ended up with 3 IL & 2 WI all public, and one Indiana, which I'll likely use on the new private I secured yesterday. Kicks off April 8th in far southern Illinois. Ends May 28 in southern Wisconsin. All expenses paid for due to my job travels.

19-Mar-19
I was 26 th in line at Rural King. They were organized with numbers handed out. Got my 4th season permit

19-Mar-19
I'm not to on the up and up with turkey hunting because I get my landowner tag which covers all seasons so I don't put in for anything else. Are you guys getting more tags for the same area or do you guys hunt different spots throughout the season?

19-Mar-19
awh302 more tags = more time in the spring woods! Mine are for a couple different public tracts.

19-Mar-19
I always try to get several tags for a few reasons. More time outdoors. The challenge of trying new spots, or fine tuning my favorites. I start by checking where I have work assignments statewide, and pick places nearby those. In the first lottery I normally just list my best quality properties. Then for the third lottery I always view what is left and list some new ones I would like to try for the challenge. Just pick them based on good habitat and demand. For the OTC leftovers I go back to my known county favorites and know the place well. I still enjoy public turkey because you can easily find great unpressured property in remote areas as the demand is so much lower than for deer. For deer it's all different, folks crawling everywhere especially with 3 months of crossguns. With this strategy I always end up with two dependable tags to fill the freezer, and one new adventure.

• Sitka Gear