casekiska 31-Jan-19
ground hunter 31-Jan-19
xtroutx 01-Feb-19
Two Feathers 01-Feb-19
RUGER1022 01-Feb-19
ground hunter 01-Feb-19
Live2hunt 02-Feb-19
22-Dec-18
I know there is a December thread, but I was interested, if anyone wanted to keep a post going, on serious late season hunting. I just filled a tag, and seeing good number of deer. I have also just seen another awesome buck.........

For the hard core late season guys, any tips or what your area is like, info exchange would be cool.....

For me I am hunting late season here in SE Wisconsin, and after Christmas back up north for a few days, than back down here. I will not hunt SW Wis, the Amish just put too much pressure on them, in our area, in my opinion. not worth the drive, for what I have to hunt.

I find here the deer, are going to the crop fields, but well well after dark. that is according to my observations and cameras, that I have out. I am also one that still threads trails, with sewing thread, on my in and out areas, with timers......

However, the cattails, are paying off, and deer are up early enough and screwing around. I strictly hunt real s... holes at this time of year. Entry at anytime is tough, due to ice conditions and warmer weather, but I find a way, and if you get in early enough, they do not care.....

I am using a very simple method. I know I will get flamed for this, but I even ditched the hassle of a safety harness. I carry what I need on my belt or pocket, the more junk you carry in for late season, the more noise you will eventually make.

I carry a M7 Micro Lite hanger and 1 stick, yep that's it. Just enough to get high enough to shoot over and thru the cover. quiet set up and quick take down at night. I have used this, other than last year, in 2016, and the system pays off.

The long bow stays in the house. This is compound time, with the let off, I can easily shoot from a sitting position, with no movement, which is the late season killer. I can also shoot better distance when needed. I do not like to be standing up, your too exposed, those deer could see movement for a long distance, at this time of year.

The beauty of hunting these swamps now, is you can hear them for a long way, on most days, they are noisy now. I watch the wind, and use a small lighter at this time of year to check it.

I have shot some of my best deer in late season. next week our area, has the holiday hunt. no biggie, will just move over a county that does not.

Make sure everything you have is dead silent. well I hope to hear from other hard core late season nuts, and any tips you can give, will be appreciated. I do not have any areas with acorns etc, so I strictly am hunting almost in the bed areas.....

22-Dec-18
LOL, GH, I hunted last night and ended up walking down a creek to be quiet. The frozen snow and leaves are creating a big problem being quiet getting in close to bedding areas. Not sure what to do at this point.

22-Dec-18
Jake I always wear snow camo, even in November, when hunting low swamps, I would never wear anything dark, just is not natural. As for hand, just a quiet muff, with a hand warmer inside

I turn my compound down to 50lbs, heck 45 is plenty, with a coc head and heavy arrow. You need to be able to pull smooth, all in what I call, low movement mode.

Liv2HUnt - What I have found, if you get in early enough, you can make noise, the woods are not quiet, try to break up the noise, don't do a steady walk,,,,,,,,, I have bumped deer but in late season, they have their favorite beds, unlike early season, late season, they want to get back to that bed area.

This year during ML season I tried another trick. I had a deer foot, that was set up by a taxidermist, mounted on the bottom of a broom pole. I used that pole as my staff, but as I put my foot prints in the snow, I also came down with the pole, putting fresh deer tracks, in the same area...... My theory is that a good buck, knows my foot prints, maybe the fresh deer track, would relax him.......... Again its just a theory, my friends who are ice fishing, think I am nuts

22-Dec-18
Great thread

22-Dec-18
Tweed I am heading out this pm. I would like you and reggie, and I know your both busy with the kids, but I would like to hook up after the 1st, so we can "Push"...

I like to drive deer in the late season, on areas I have scouted, that do not hunt on a regular basis. 3 guys is perfect,,,,, cut off small sections, get 2 shooters set, and one guy doing the "rabbit hunt". we wear orange vests for doing this for safety, but you can nudge one along pretty well, under the right condition, take em right out of those beds........ Heck, quietly, they are back in there in a day or so.....

22-Dec-18
A guy sent my a PM on snow, and what I thought about how much..... To me, here in SE Wisconsin, I want NO SNOW. Snow only telegraphs to everyone where you go, and hunt. I hunt a lot of public down here, so I know the areas well enough, and scout a lot, all spring etc, that I do not need snow, to show me where they are.....

Snow also shows the deer, where I am at, these are high pressured areas. So no, I really do not want snow...... What I do want is a COLD SNAP, and that gets them up early. Here I deal with no predators, and we have coyotes, but they do not mess up the deer hunting at all, and are a nice target for trapping and hunting in the off season, if you wish..................

In the north, I want snow. There the deer are moving a lot, dealing with wolves etc, and constantly changing food sources, depending on the year and logging. I also like to back track, which I think is a very effective tool, in learning how the deer are moving, so yes up there I want snow.... Plus there is so much room, little pressure, no one is going to bother you.......Most are in the bars or out on the ice,,, ha ha

22-Dec-18
Right now the snow we have up here is like walking on corn flakes. After than warm spell we lost some snow but what’s left is all firmed up and crunchy.

My cat tag starts today and can’t even run it would tear up the dogs pads trying. Day after Christmas the trapline will be set for them.

22-Dec-18
GH, I like your approach. Low stand with one climbing stick. Easy setup, harness not needed and one climbing stick is not going make any noise setting up. Multiple sticks tend to creek at the joints when the sun hits them. You could do the same with a one section hang on ladder but probably gonna be shorter than your stick.

Jake, you need to let your wife pick the days when you should go hunting.

22-Dec-18
ground hunter - if you can handle 4 for your push, count me in. FYI Gabe got his first deer/buck with a bow this year over by the Mississippi.

Right now my attention is focused on a farm here in Manitowoc county. The landowner's hired hand took out a big 14 pt during the rut and I was in Oneida county not seeing anything. The Friday after muzzleloader I sat and glassed the farm in the evening. Hadn't hunted it since October. I counted 51 (no horns) that came out into the crop fields (snow on the ground and cold). That has been the most I have ever seen in an evening anywhere. The next day I set up and got busted. They (9) sniffed out where I had walked when I was looking for a tree to climb got nervous and then one saw me in the tree but wasn't sure and another circled around and sniffed me in the tree. Party over. Since then I haven't got close to anything. Every sit I see deer but 200 yards away and I'm always changing locations to ambush them. These deer annoy me because they seem to always know I'm waiting for them and where I'm at. I'm not sure how far deer can hear but I'm convinced they can hear me walking in, it's that loud.

I change shooting equipment during the late season. I have confidence in the longbow, but I do change longbows. When it gets cold, cold, I shoot the lighter draw weight. My camo patterns vary but all of it is quiet. Quiet camo is a must. When I ground hunt I prefer my asat 3d leafy top even if all the leaves are gone. I have 4 different chairs I use when ground hunting - my Nif T seat, a light Cabela's stool (4 legs) no back rest, another Cabela's stool - 3 legs and back rest and the seat to my Lone Wolf climber. Right now I'm getting mileage out of my Nif T seat. The Nif T seat is the lightest I have. My sits are not that long and all are pm sits. I like to ground hunt because I can cover hot trails easier by finding a spot that is best for that day's wind and make less noise getting settled in. I keep telling myself, "be still, sit still, don't move". Easier said than done.

Like ground hunter excess gear gets left behind. If I know I will need something like a hand saw or hand pruner I'll take them but the days of a day pack with a bunch of stuff I never use are long gone. On me tonight I had bow/arrows, my cell phone, pull rope, and a deer call. Even my hand muff got left behind. Seldom if ever do I hunt the same stand/site more than 2 days in a row. I just assume the deer have me figured out in 2 days. I'll go and cover a different spot knowing I'll be back another day.

Snow is a disadvantage to me and an advantage to the deer I'm hunting. The deer are able to easily pick up where I have walked (not good), and they are able to hear me walking further away (not good). To me snow is a bad deal but the deer are on the food earlier with snow and cold (good).

I use my lone wolf climber, lone wolf hang ons w/sticks, and ladder stands (just set a new one in yesterday} and getting ready to put out a pop up blind in Ozaukee so the deer get accustomed to it by the time of the Metro hunt. My Tree Lounge is too noisy for this time of year unless it has already been set up and ready to climb. I really like this stand for gun hunting.

I like hunting the metro zone late season. I wish the whole state was open with the metro zone extended dates. For the most part I have the woods to myself. Most guys have hung up their bow for the season. Pressure is almost nill and the deer are up on their feet and feeding earlier with the cold. For me, January is a good month to fill a deer tag.

22-Dec-18
Gh, can you please explain to everyone, what you mean? when the snow shows the deer where you are at?

23-Dec-18
Nocturnal - This might sound bizarre to some, and maybe you will believe I wear a tin hat (ha ha), and I can assure you I do not wear the Hecs suit, (ha ha)..... BUT I believe that mature big bucks, can read human footprints, and maybe its also the scent, but they have eyes, and that strange print, is a sense of danger to them.....

I have seen a few times, where some real suburban type bruisers, have stopped, and for no other reason, turned and left,,,,, I only came to the conclusion, they saw my fresh prints......

I might be all wet on this, but I do believe it,,,,,,,,, that is why I went to the staff, with the deer hoof attached,,,,,,, again it could all be in my head,,,,, but in my pressured areas, I think they are that wired

23-Dec-18
I switch to doing more still hunt / slow scouting of new public areas this time of year with a backpack on my back and bow in hand. With the frozen water, you can get pretty much anywhere you want to explore. I still start with map scouting to pick out spots I want to check out. Found a new spot last weekend with great primary bedding, travel routes and a solid rub line. Unfortunately I also found 2 stands and an extension ladder within 200 yards of the area so it isn’t as overlooked as I would hope. I try to keep the wind in my face and pick days with some wind to cover up the noise a little. GH, I am in SE Wisconsin hunting public and would be up for some wind bump driving if you need another rabbit.

23-Dec-18
Gh I read your posts and know you have had a life long enjoyment for hunting. This one makes me laugh though. They are just catching your scent in the snow my friend. Deer are not that freakin smart! lol. Some give them way more credit then they deserve.

23-Dec-18
Yup. More evidence people have already been in the egg nog.......

23-Dec-18

budbow's embedded Photo
budbow's embedded Photo
I did some scouting today and hung a camera in the edge of this patch of standing corn. Would be a great spot to set up for late season but unfortunately my work schedule won’t allow it.

23-Dec-18
Noc, your probably right, my friends have also told me that. They say I give them bucks too much credit, for their evasion. But I do believe it, anyway.......

23-Dec-18
Standing corn at this time of the year must be a magnet....not sure I would wait. Just hunt it. Hard part is getting in there if they are bedded up on the hillside.

23-Dec-18
GH, I moon walk to my stand that way if a Big buck cuts my track he will walk right to me thinking he is walking away from me. ;) Hahaha Jk. Merry Christmas to all!!

23-Dec-18
Imo human footprints have an impact. Maybe it is the scent in the tracks, but they're definitely evidence of a non deer intruder in the woods.

23-Dec-18
Moved here from the "December hunt Thread"...guess this is where the comments will be going...

A buddy and I hunted yesterday afternoon...southern WI...both of us in treestands...combined time on stand = 7 hours...not one deer seen! Sure heard a heck of a commotion about 150 yards south down in a valley...squirrels going nuts, jays squaking, and brush rustling...WTH? Never did find out what happened. I did see a red tailed hawk, a owl, and a eagle fly over...some entertainment at least. Drove 90 miles round trip, half hour walking in, three & a half hours on stand, and a half hour out,...all to no avail, just watched trees survive the early winter weather. Still though, good to get out, better than being in town! Discovered a few rubs I had not seen earlier, perhaps he made it through rifle season! Hope so!

23-Dec-18

northbound's embedded Photo
northbound's embedded Photo
This time of year I just focus on food. Yesterday while still hunting/ scouting I did have a nonshooter buck chasing a doe. She smelled like a buck bomb so she hit the dirt and those tarcle glands will be put to use in coming days. Also found fresh rubs (shavings where loose on top of frozen ground). Pretty nice rubs for public land. The pictured one reaches the height of my chin. Still going to focus on food but it'll be very near these rubs

23-Dec-18
Tonight I parked and glassed the same fields I saw 51 jn awhile back. Saw 0 tonight.

23-Dec-18
I had the right wind tonight to get into one of my favorite overlooked bedding areas undetected. I found several new rubs and new well used beds so up a tree I went. Had a big doe come in to 15 yards at last light. I start to draw on her and my release disconnects from the D-loop about 1/4 way to full draw. I’ve never had that happen before during practice or in the field. Cursing myself for not double checking before drawing considering the colder temps. Disappointed to say the least.

24-Dec-18

Mighty hunter's embedded Photo
Mighty hunter's embedded Photo
First post on this website.

Got out last night, and was able to take a Doe with the bow! 15 yard shot. My 3 year old boy came out to help dad find his deer and he had a blast! Loves everything about hunting

Will be back out for a buck

24-Dec-18
Orfor, I had that happen the last year I used my compound. I think small pieces of bark from the tree I climbed got in the trigger. I had 3 arrows on the ground below my stand before I got it cleaned out and working. My fingers now don't have that issue.

24-Dec-18
L2h, I had done some test draws after I got up in the stand to test my setup and it was working at that point so chalking it up as a rookie error and valuable lesson for each and every future hunt. I need to figure out how to get it done a few times with the compound before I would consider the extra time, skill and patience necessary with traditional equipment. You are right that the fancy equipment has a lot more variables that can fail.

24-Dec-18
oforalot, I remember when I first started using a release (shot fingers before that). First year, early rut, a nice big buck came walking towards me down the trail with his nose to the ground. He got 20 yrds and was going to be broadside to me at 6 yrds. I drew when he passed a little clump of trees. Got about 1/3 draw and arrow loafed out about 20 feet and hit the ground. Buck took off like a freight train busting though the woods. I guess my finger was on the release trigger. Chalked it up as a good experience and has never happened again.

24-Dec-18
Mighty Hunter, welcome to the site. With that handle you have yourself up for big expectations from us.

24-Dec-18
I have only ever shot finger with a reduced tab, lost the part above the split and the plastic bit. Once in the stand I always practice draw a couple before loading to warm the bow, warm my muskles, and set my garb, as well as make sure that part of life (bow mechanicals) is working OK.

26-Dec-18
Oforalot. Check your D-loop for wear. If you are using a caliper release, the two jaws may have enough gap, in conjunction with D-loop wear to allow your loop to pass through the jaws on your release. I had first hand experience with this. Punched myself in the lip while drawing once. Again, my loop was wore out a bit, and the gap on my caliper release was gapped too much. It could be adjusted with an allen screw, and that screw came loose over time. Since then, I've replaced the release, and the D-loop (several times).

27-Dec-18
Here is another tip,,,,,, late season is the only time, I ever use a hub blind. One thing I do, is put down a floor. I have found that the "moving blankets" you can get at Menards work real well. Easy to transport, lay it down on the inside. Adds some insulation to the ground, and makes everything quiet, and nice to put your seat on.....

They usually run about 9.00 for one.......................... My blind is a DB T2, just right for one guy

27-Dec-18
Harbor Freight and Northern Tool has those blankets even cheaper.

Groundhunter- do you set up the hub blind the day before or are you still hunting mobile with that set up?

27-Dec-18
no I am mobile, as usual, but once the blind is set, its set for the season. Unless it does not pay off, and may move it. Right now its tucked in, an escape route, that I had the encounter with the big boy, during the 4 day antlerless hunt. Its brushed in, and will not go back in there, till after the 1st...... I am very confident in that spot

going out today, to kill a doe with the gun. Weather is ideal, high winds, light rain, woods are super quiet, plan on sneaking all day...... should be out by 10am

27-Dec-18
Perfect conditions for that gh! Good luck!

27-Dec-18
Well my wife thought I was an idiot, because once I got in a ways, the skies opened up,,,, anyway, quiet as a cat, but could not find them deer.... I did though find a hub blind, whose owner did not tie it off well, and 2 hubs collapsed, and it was getting twisted in the winds.......

I had some para cord with me, so I helped the guy out, reset his blind, and tied it down real well, to the surrounding trees..... looked like a nice spot,,,, it was a Rhino Blind, and that looked nice too......

27-Dec-18
Your a good man Ground Hunter. Not alot of people would do that, I tip my hat to you.

27-Dec-18
Mighty: Nice deer and something your son will always remember. Gotta love the late December does... Rarely as easy of a task as you’d think. Congrats on the deer and memory.

27-Dec-18
I was thinking of you this afternoon Groundhunter as I went to lunch. I ran my pansy butt from the truck to the building as fast as I could. I hate windy, cold wet days like this. Kid has pneumonia from thinking she could play in this weather.

29-Dec-18
Saw 2 adult does this am. Wasn't even expecting to see anything and they caught me off guard. With the rain and trees dripping, I never heard them coming. All I could do was watch or surely would have been busted grabbing my bow off the hanger. Saw zip tonight and only had 1 deer on camera in that spot in the past week. The trails going thru there weren't freshened up. So, maybe that window is already closed

29-Dec-18
0 for me last night. I thought they would be moving? Saw no fresh tracks along the roads either.

29-Dec-18
Had a good hunt today, ended in frustration, but hey its public land, everyone has a right to it.... by 1230pm I cut some fresh tracks.... By 120pm, I caught movement up in a kettle about 200 yards away,,,, no shot, at least not an ethical one...... I decide with the thermals, checked by my smoke, that I would go the long end around, to the east...

2pm get around, and yep catch their feet still along way away, up on a ridge in a kettle, but it looks like they will come down the draw..... 220pm, here they come, but they stop and turn west with flags up..............???????????????

Here comes a guy, walking across an open ag field, and when he got to the edge he was putting eye drops in, and he had his cell phone on, and it was ringing loudly, and he answered it,,,,,,,,,

end of hunt

29-Dec-18
LOL!

29-Dec-18
Wow GH! Frustrating!

29-Dec-18
Ill be out tomorrow morning for the first time in nearly a month.

Cant wait!

03-Jan-19

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
RC got this buck yesterday. Heart shot, 50 yard run, 205# dressed out.

Really is a pretty look'n deer.

I went out Monday morning didn't see anything. Wife texted me at 8 while I was out and told me she had an appointment so I had to wrap it up early.... Ozaukee ends this weekend so I'm going to hopefully make the most of it. Might do some scouting and hunting in Washington.

03-Jan-19
Nice buck,,,, congrats

03-Jan-19
Damm fine deer! Trophy class all the way! Congratulations to Ron.

03-Jan-19
Great buck Ron.

03-Jan-19
Tweed,,,, this is how screwed up everything is.... the lady from the DNR just told me, that you could never hunt, in Qzaukee County late season, till past the 6th, regardless of what is marked metro zones? I called my CDAC rep, and he said, yes it is open, his ap on his I pad now shows it is in blue,,,, he said the maps are not correct............

I called another DNR guy who said, he is right, she is wrong?????????? I am hunting property, that half of the woods I can hunt, and the other half I can not hunt?????

Me, I am going hunting...............I was also told by the DNR to follow the latitude lines, that show the exact separation of the counties..... I do not know how to do that, since I do not have the right maps or stuff.......

Guess I will use the computer tonight to figure this out........................ Does it have to be this complicated.............geesh

03-Jan-19
I was just texting some one and I feel the same.....could they make it anymore confusing?

I'm going to call the Warden just to make sure.

03-Jan-19
sent you a PM

03-Jan-19
Got an E-mail from Ron & WOW what a great buck . that'll help sell sone product . :-)

03-Jan-19
So I hit some public land in Chippewa county New years day. I was scouting for fresh sign with stand/sticks on my back. I walked a large l portion of the property, and on the circle back around to my vehicle find smoking sign. I ended up setting up about 500 yards from the car. But I walked just under 1.75 miles to get there;) Did not see a deer until almost dark. Then a string of does and fawns walked past. There were 7 total, and I have a doe tag. By the time an adult doe finally presented a shot, it was past legal time. Fun hunt, and I will probably be down on our land in Pierce county this weekend.

03-Jan-19
I believe in the past, the Metro unit cut up portions of a DMU - example being Washington County. Now all of Washington county is within the extended season.

03-Jan-19
Tweed,,,,, I just got off the phone with wildlife mgt, DNR Plymouth station. things got approved, and some maps were already printed etc,,,,,, good news, go hunt, all of Ozaukee County is in the metro unit

03-Jan-19
^^^^ not tweeds buck

03-Jan-19
Excellent buck....got some tine length there. Anymore pics...

04-Jan-19
Preliminary score on Ron's deer was in the 160's. If that score holds that will be the second 160 class buck he's shot this season. He's had a 2018/2019 season most of us only dream of with all the critters he's shot.

04-Jan-19
mild weather has them deer, holding up well after dark.... was checked by a warden supervisor, nice guy new to the area. He was surprised I was still hunting swamps, said I should be out by the ag fields...... I said I like to hunt bedding areas, with this weather.....

I laughed, still finding some guys baiting, as I cruise public, that I can assure you will keep them nocturnal........

moving on to private land now for awhile, we need some cold weather, and it does not look like that is coming for a long time.......

saw a few guys out on 4 inches of ice,,,, no thanks

04-Jan-19
Late season what? Still got a month to go here ... gonna be a sad to hear about the dropped rack bucks gettin' it. :cry:

05-Jan-19
yesterday I took a cruise,,,,, jumped deer sleeping on the hills, enjoying the sun, and with the snow that is left, looks like they are going back into the woods they spent time in, in the fall, and not haunting traditional places they usually gang up at, for late season.................... one more day or so, for snow, so going to spend that time, back tracking and letting them, tell me, where they are....

after Mondays rain, that snow will be gone

05-Jan-19
Nicely done Tweed!

05-Jan-19

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
It’s still golfing weather around here!!!

05-Jan-19
Tomorrow ends the season for me. Going to try to get out, but will see. Been doing a lot of ice fishing. All in all it was a fun season with lots of oppertunities for smaller bucks and does. I had one good chance at a big boy and blew it. Never drew back all year. Son was successful so that made my season good. I enjoy seeing others being successful when they come to my home, probably more than my own success. I enjoyed it every time I was out and learned a few things too.

05-Jan-19
Am in a tree as I did not want Mon to come and regret giving up an opportunity. Warmer now than Nov.

06-Jan-19

God has given us hunters the ability and desire to truly be a part of nature. Do not take it for granted. Cherish every moment.

06-Jan-19
RC, Great late season buck! I brought in the new year with a kidney stone and trip to the ER so unfortunately that has kept me out of the woods this weekend.

06-Jan-19
Ron - Congrats on a great buck!

06-Jan-19
I made it out this evening in a last ditch effort to find a buck in Burnett co. Saw 4 deer no confirmed bucks. Had one very large bodied deer step out I was sure it was a buck when I saw it through the brush.( I was hunting on the ground) stepped out in the open and it was a doe. All in all great season even though I did not fill my wi tag. Already counting the days until SD next September. Time to get the ice fishing gear out for next weekend.

07-Jan-19
Sat one last time last night. Could not get out till 2:30 so I went to a spot close to the house. First stand had no fresh tracks around it, I wouldn't have sat it anyway because of the wind. Second stand had a few fresh wandering tracks and pawing in the snow. Nothing seen. A lot of the deer are moving by my house around 6:30 from what I noticed. Oh well, good year for seeing animals, bad year for issues at the point of the shot. Now I can wait for my new limbs and shoot till fall, then do it all over again.

07-Jan-19

Konk1's embedded Photo
Konk1's embedded Photo
Konk1's embedded Photo
Konk1's embedded Photo
Franklin here are some more pics of Ron's deer.

The one on the left if his Wisconsin Buck, the one on the right is from Indiana. Interestingly the arrow rest on his bow was designed by Ron. Now that's how you do it.

07-Jan-19
Two nice trophies for Ron, good for him.

We've been emailing about this & that,...I suggested he bring both to the WBH convention in early March in Green Bay.

Not many guys can do something like this in one year!

07-Jan-19
Like him or not Ron really stays focused when he's on a mission .

Deer hunting season is over but after this snow storm today , Scout season for next year is just starting.

07-Jan-19
I agree nice bucks,,,, I have to learn to post a picture, yes I am that anal..... no hunting today, just rain.......

I wish RC posted here, he is over at 24campfire, which I really do not care for.....

He sure can shoot and make some nice video, wish I knew how to do that,,,, I am always so busy trying to stay stealth etc, a camera is the last thing on my mind ha ha

07-Jan-19
Congrats to RC on a couple dandy bucks. Good looking euro mounts as well

12-Jan-19
for me it remains tough,,,,,, no daytime movement, at least for me,,,,, weather pattern is stale,,,, barometer and other indicators, are steady, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would love to see a cold blast, and some snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

13-Jan-19
WOW....that Indiana buck is a stud too. What a season....thanks

13-Jan-19
Looks like temperatures will finally be dropping.

17-Jan-19
I am just praying for snow, north of Hwy 33,,, and cold weather,,,,, looks like the snow will be way south, but sure would like to see some..... it would change everything

18-Jan-19
I waited 11 years for a Bobcat tag and cant even run because of all the icy crust on the snow we do have. It would tear up the dogs pads.

18-Jan-19
DT that sucks,,, same thing is going on along the Brule River Iron Co MI and Florcence Co Wis

18-Jan-19
We got a skiff of snow yesterday. Drove around this morning and found several cat tracks. 3 good sized ones we tried to get going after it got above zero but there is no moisture in the snow and no scent for the dogs.

Snow forecasted Monday and Tuesday. If we get it I will be out Wednesday and Thursday. Seen a buck this Morning that still has both sides.

18-Jan-19
Will , I know where theres a kitty living if you want to try calling it in some evening . About 5 miles from my place .

18-Jan-19
Possibly Sunday afternoon Glenn. I have to go to Green Bay tomorrow.

18-Jan-19
Let me kbow . My new call is doing very well .

Question . I'm wheeling ; dealung with a guy over a pile of " stuff " & he's wants to throw in a Bobcat cat pelt that I would be in it 50 bucks . Is it worth it . 40 tears ago buyers were paying 250 to 350 .

18-Jan-19
Went out today by noon........ by 1pm I was seeing deer, 2 fawns walked by and a button buck.... by 3pm the wind switched so I went to a spot down the road, which is public...

I have a great lair there, tucked in the crap, but another guy had a huge piece of netting across the trail about 6 feet long and chest height,,,,, wrong set up for the area and wrong wind,,, but I thought, hey he might be a new guy just trying to figure things

he had the area pretty well trashed but what you going to do.......

another reason you need lots of spots

19-Jan-19
Got some decent snow right now finally. 2" so far northern MKE county.

19-Jan-19
blowing nice this am, but not too bad,,,, we got 2 inches.... going out, to hunt on foot all day, ,,,,, love it

19-Jan-19
I was out yesterday pm before the snow (Washington Co). Sitting in a tree line between 2 fields. At about 3 pm, 6 does ran full speed across one of the fields. Followed by 7 more at full speed. Followed by a very nice buck also at full speed that had pure white antlers. 15 seconds later, 2 coyotes! Obviously no shot, but a very cool experience.

19-Jan-19
this will tie in with the fox post on the site.... today after 2 hours of silent sneak playing the wind, and playing a chess match with a few deer, I come within 100 yards of about 15 deer in a kettle,,,,,, I get myself as close as 60 yards and set up......

Here comes a doe and 2 fawns, and I need them to go on the right side of a ridge, for a 20 yard or in shot...... I have my long bow......

I look up to see a fox, racing down a hill, thinking he was after a squirrel.... he went all over the kettle chasing the deer, and he was like a border collie, running around after them..... one doe kicked at him, most ran in circles, but he drove them over the next hill

so I use my mouth and hand and try to call him.... here he comes,,,, getting ready, I pick where I think he will come up on me, on the hill... nope he goes around a windfall, and as I draw, he catches me, and he is long gone/////

an hour later, over 2 hills, I see him again, and again I call and here he comes, but again I misjudged where he was at, and he came right up behind me by about 10 feet,,,,,

well he got educated today,,,,,, ha ha never saw a fox, chasing deer, and just having fun,,,,,,

now after lunch, I come back into the first area, set up in a blow down, now have the compound..... I hate to say this, but after the 5th doe comes by, here comes a nice buck,,, a nice 6, some would not shoot it, but I would.... anyway, 45 yards is the best he is going to give me..... the shot is there, but I bury my arrow and the wasp head, into an ironwood tree......

quite a day,,,,, with this weather, deer were our all day,,,,,, this is an area, where I had not seen a deer in 3 weeks

20-Jan-19
I guess this will be my last post on late season no one interested or no one hunting,, anyway my friend today at 3pm had an owl fly by him,,,, with a big rooster pheasant in its talon,,,, it layed up in a tree, and he went into a hole, and dragged it inside,

pretty cool.....

20-Jan-19
I'm still out, will say days like today I really start to wonder why... minus 4 when i got back to the truck. Saw 9 does/ fawns and two young bucks in the last hour. I'll give it another week waiting on a shooter buck and then I'm dropping some does. Thought I caught a glimpse of a shooter but may have been wishful thinking. They are hitting dogwood browse like it's going out of style. I'm hunting close enough to lake Michigan to hear the waves crash, lake effect snow really piled up which is likely contributing to focus on browse and less on the nearby picked corn

20-Jan-19
northbound I agree with you, they are on the browse big time,,,,,, going to try and sneak out tomorrow,,,, have to take the wife to the dells for 3 days of R and R, gambling and hot tubs, will be back out by Friday/////

they scheduled my last operation on the 31st, I said no way, make it in February, hello its still bow season

20-Jan-19
Keep posting groundhunter, and others still at it. Interesting stories. My season is done , so I dont have much to offer, but still like following others.

20-Jan-19
I’m also following just not posting. Good luck GH! Enjoy the r&r

20-Jan-19
So when we accidentally stab a big ole buck that has already shed, how do we register it? Especially if your buck tag is already used.

20-Jan-19
how do you stab a buck that's already shed? since when I shoot, the antlers are visible?

I have not used my buck tag, that's obvious and have passed more bucks this year, than I ever have in my life, but since its not life or death for me anymore,,, I can afford to do it....

If I shot an antlerless deer, and realized that the rack has dropped, I would register it as a buck,,,,, very few bucks in SE Wis have dropped their racks

20-Jan-19
But if your tag was used already

20-Jan-19
A deer with no rack or a rack of less than 3” is to be registered as an antlerless deer.

20-Jan-19
Saw two bucks tonight. A 4 pt and a 8 pt. Thought I would get a shot but that didn't happen.

20-Jan-19
I think all deer hunting should end in Jan on the 31, but that is me

20-Jan-19
A shed buck is an antlerless tag. 12 dollars each you can shoot as many as you want (some counties). If you get the chance at a 'big ol buck' that already shed, congrats- they don't get much easier to find just because they're shed. I spend most of the evenings with binoculars in hand so I'm fairly confident I won't mistake one but it could happen.

21-Jan-19
Hunted some private land in northern Ozaukee. saw 2 but didn't come by the blind I was in but crossed in front of my other blind I wasn't in. Feel good about this place. Have day time pictures am, mid day and sunset. Deer are browsing heavy on dog wood.

21-Jan-19
have to leave town tomorrow, be back out by Sat,,,,, saw deer out today feeding at noon,,,,, cold weather, really helps,,,, but hope we get some sun, that snow can be noisy now.....

going to have my ultimate deer decoy on the bow now,,, should have had it on, last Saturday, had my head in my a..

21-Jan-19
have my ultimate deer decoy on the bow --- waz dat?

21-Jan-19
Door Knob,,,,,, I purchased one in 2016, my friends laughed...... that fall I had a ball with it, in South Dakota,,,,, the late season on 16 into 2017, killed 2 does using it,,,,, my friends laughed at me, but hey its fun.......

I do well with it, in more open hardwoods, and the ag fields,,,,, It seems to spook them in very thick places in the north....... had 2 small bucks come right at it, this last fall in Vernon County,,,,,, never had a chance at a bruiser I knocked on a few doors, and got on some open fields with lots of corn

it fits nicely on the compound,,,,,, you can go on line or You Tube, it will show it,,,,, it was not cheap,,, paid 85.00 for it, at the Deer Fest in the summer of 2016....

I just love to go after deer on the ground,,,,, sure your better off in a stand, but depends on how serious you are, in having to fill your tag,,,, its a lot of fun,,,,,, going to get the turkey one for this coming season.... my umbrella is fun, but too hard with the bow

21-Jan-19
Gh, are you talking about those stalker decoys with a slot for your bow? I've seen them, and am a big believer of decoys but can't say I have had much faith in those?? I always feel a big job of the decoy is to keep the real deer from looking at me. And my experience is that does do not tolerate decoys being close. About a 40 yard comfort zone they try to keep. I could see it being deadly during the rut but also a little scary maybe?

21-Jan-19
ground hunter - I got one and think it's a good thing but didn't use it this year. The first time I tried it, I tried it on my horses. They hauled ass, didn't want anything to do with it. I've only had it on once when I encountered a deer, an antlerless deer in an open ag field. She let us (Gabe and I) get to 20 yards before she bolted. Gabe wanted to shoot her but I wouldn't let him. All he had was a head on shot. Stickbow or wheel bow it will mount on both.

21-Jan-19
yep northbound that is what I am talking about,,,,, a lot depends on where and how you hunt with it etc..... when I am in the woods, and take a break, I put a hook on the tree, and just hang it with the bow, and stand behind it,,,,,,,,

its not 100 percent, what is,,,, but you would be surprised on how well it has worked... when I used a fix decoy, in the northwoods, deer would come unglued, when they came upon it..... had success with the fix decoy down here in farm country......

I would not hunt with it, on public land in Waupaca County,,,, ha ha

in 2016 I had a small 6 chaseing in a field,,,, I got up on the edge, stood behind the decoy on the bow, and mouth called that deer,,,,, sucked him right in at 20 yards,,,,, again problem is, a lot of frontal stand offs, and the need for a shot, is when they make the turn, and of course, they catch you drawing,,,,, and holding a compound, still you can only hold for so long

just another fun thing to do,,,,,,,,,,,,isn't that what its all about

23-Jan-19
Not a good night. Hunted the state forest in Two Rivers, no deer seen and up to my thighs in ice water when I broke through the ice on a drainage ditch.

23-Jan-19
Sorry to hear that two feathers. Glad you made it out.

This weekends cold snap should firm everything up finally .

24-Jan-19
just got back, from taking the wife on and R and R,,,, hope the wind dies down on Sat, I will be out

24-Jan-19
Best wishes to you late season troopers...stay warm and dry.

25-Jan-19
Saw 8 tonight. No shot opportunity. All were on the neighbor's property. Breaking out my HBS for the hunt tomorrow morning.

25-Jan-19
You guys ever notice a particular preferred browse during these frigid days? Tonight they where all back in picked corn field I'm guessing they crave carbs when cold even though it's under snow? Tomorrow I'll hunt a property where browse is only option for them, any certain woody species that has carbs in it? There is a area of dogwoods or a former clearing full of young buckthorn. Curious if I should focus on one? I did notice today while walking in that the stingy metal (dunno if that's a real name) is being nipped off a few inches above snow and the tops just fall over. Seemed very odd not to eat from top down??

25-Jan-19
I will be out tomorrow, home now from the wifes R and R,,,,, I will be on the move all day,,,, snow is fluffy for the most part,,,, will use the bunny boots with felt on the bottoms just for quiet.....

deer in my area will not be on the corn or fields till after dark, they will be on browse all day

25-Jan-19
You must have different snow ground hunter. It's really loud snow along the lake today. Think the wind packed it in to tight. Still hunting was good Wednesday but that ship has sailed for me until next fresh snow on Monday

25-Jan-19
I’ll be back out daily come Sunday. Room in the freezer!

25-Jan-19
The snow is like walking on styrofoam. Ill be out tomorrow the last 2 hours.

26-Jan-19
northbound I will let you know, going out the door, here about 10am,,,, ha ha,,,, still laying out what I am going to wear, so I do not sweat up

26-Jan-19
Noticed something interesting today, a few trails seemed to change overnight (noticed from drone scouting, hate me if you want). Now that river has froze, every single tree that grows out over river but low enough to browse now has tracks to it. I've seen the river become a travel corridor years past but this is the first time I realized it's also a fresh food source. Also had a very nice buck paying allot of attention to a doe fawn this evening, out of range. Not chasing but he was staring and not caring about much else. Tomorrow I'm taking calls with me just to see if there's a little love and jealousy in the cold air

26-Jan-19
Saw 2 this morning and 4 this evening. No shots taken. These deer have me figured out. Time to change my ambush site. The good news is my HBS worked great. Even my feet didn't get cold.

27-Jan-19
well you guys were right, that snow was noisy, even with my bunny boots on.... not too bad today, but still noisy that is for sure,,,,,,, will be out tonight, with the snow coming,,,,, and tomorrow pm,,,,,, but than I will be done, too cold for me this wed, it really is,,,,,,,

that snow tomorrow will lay them up, and it will be quieter, and I am going to put on the sneak, since I know where they are,,,,,,,,,, will be my last hurrah

first sportsman rummage sale of the season, on the 2nd in Kewaskum, than bunny hunting and some fishing, and trapping of course......

27-Jan-19
Good luck ground hunter. Nobody can say you didn't put the effort in. You definitely put those young xgunners to shame!

27-Jan-19
Rjn x2 ! where the heck are you guys still hunting? I’m already counting the days until September and your still going hard at it. I’m jealous

27-Jan-19
Mnhunter- metro zones and many counties that have a holiday hunt also give us till end of January. Does where plentiful this evening. And 2 bucks that need a little age. Lucky for them I was not willing to take a glove off for venison without horns. Hate to say it but this late season is starting to seem like a job lately. I'm ready to go chase pigs somewhere warm in a couple weeks. This far in can't quit till hands are on horns or seasons over

27-Jan-19
Had a group of 10 doe and fawn at 80 yards slowly working my way. Neighbor came out to light the grill and let the dog out. That ended my night. I hunted my urban honey hole in Washington County. That happens more than not with super urban spots, but I still love to hunt them.

27-Jan-19
I just thawed out,,,,, I did not go out till 3pm and even that may have been early, but again with snow noise, had to work in there..... my wife texted me,,,," your not out in this cold are you?" You are truly nuts"

I still have not figured this field out, or the entries,,,, from 415pm to 450pm saw 13 deer,,,, 6 in one group, another 3 from another area, and than here comes 4, flying towards me, and I have no idea why,,,, I am on the ground, and one breaks off, and she has right front leg, up in the air, she is favoring,,,,,, deer are tough......

I had no shots,,,, but like nb said, I thought about taking the gloves off, for field dressing, yep, it would need to have horns...... I missed my chance last Saturday, going to regret that miss, I think,,,,,,,

beautiful sunset, no wind, but it was COLD,,,,,,

28-Jan-19
Between a hectic weekend, being lazy and a wuss I didn't make it out. I had a chance to get out Sunday afternoon but was spent from Saturday still.

28-Jan-19
Well I am done,,,, passed a button buck tonite at 415pm... deep snow was a bitch,,, at 69 years old, its getting tougher,,, by 5pm the winds were going off on Lake Michigan...

I said a prayer, thankful for the season I enjoyed, and walked out.......

29-Jan-19
I only made it 230 until 415 today. Saw one shooter at 50 yards, no need to be quiet as trees are popping and cold cracking or whatever the technical term is. Went to fleet for some ski goggles after I bailed early. Days like today makes me realize the klim snownobile gear should be available in snow camo. Think I could have made it till close today if the eyes would have been able to take it. Dogwood is king right now, I had deer browsing on it within sight the entire sit

31-Jan-19
I can not hunt today,,,, and its beautiful out,,,, no wind, and just below zero,,,, Deer are out all over the place at of 10am. My heart condition, keeps me from hunting deep freeze weather anymore, per the doctor, but otherwise I would be out on this last day...

I drove around, saw lots and lots of fresh tracks, and 2 feeding, in the browse,,,, they will move all day today, with the pressure going up, as it begins to warm

31-Jan-19
I bet a saw 50 deer out in fields last night between Barron and New Richmond. Winds finally calmed and I'm sure the deer really needed some food to regain some energy during the cold snap.

31-Jan-19
Had three antlerless come into the dog wood to feed tonight and put an arrow in the biggest one. Not a good shot. No lung blood and no pass through and very little bleeding. Dark liver blood. It made it back to bedding on the neighbor's property. Property owner is out of town. Finally got a hold of the property owner's sister and she gave me the go ahead. Hope I find it dead in it's bed tomorrow morning and the yotes haven't messed with it.

31-Jan-19
Good luck in finding the deer Tom. Must have been pretty cold to be out there. Let us know how it works out.

31-Jan-19
Tom good luck,,, lot of deer out this pm,,, had the spotting scope out, lots of deer in the fields,,,

01-Feb-19
Good luck on recovery.

01-Feb-19
Long story short. This deer not recovered. Not the way to end the season.

01-Feb-19
In 58 years I have failed to recover 2 Deer . Amazing in some ways but I still think about them .

When I hit an animal & fail to recover it I feel like the animal did his job but I sure failed to do mine .

01-Feb-19
That's a tough one Tom,,,, I know that was no easy weather to hunt in,,,,, but in reality it comes with the territory, at times,,,,,,,, see you at the pheasant hunt

02-Feb-19
I listened to a talk with a guy on you tube about hunting deer. During the discussion, he stated he was amazed on the amount of large old bucks he and others have killed with broad heads and arrow parts in them from years past. You would be amazed, that a lot of the hit deer survive. He had one with the broad head and shaft that went below the spine and top of the lungs from a few years past.

• Sitka Gear