RD 06-Jan-19
RD 06-Jan-19
rraming 26-Jan-19
Shawnster 02-Mar-19
Grubby 03-Apr-19
Mnhunter1980 03-Apr-19
Grubby 04-Apr-19
28-Dec-18
Is anyone a member? I joined last summer, they promptly billed me but have never heard anything from them since.

28-Dec-18
I was years ago. I moved and forgot about them and they forgot about me. Guess I can’t say either way.

31-Dec-18
Don't you folks know who Brooks Johnson is? He formed the coalition currently fighting the DNR tooth and claw on their deer population strategy, their practice of keeping bowhunters off committees and any discussions including CWD policy.

Also the president of MBI. Take a look at their current board members covers most of the state. https://mnbowhunters.org/

31-Dec-18
Huh never heard of him

31-Dec-18
Brooks Johnson was the originator of Double Bull Blinds. He sold it to Primos I think. Now he is the head of Minnesota Bowhunters. He definitely has an axe to grind with DNR. I agree with some of his stuff, other stuff not so much.

01-Jan-19
So are you guys members? Is it normal to pay your fees and never hear from them again?

02-Jan-19
"Is it normal to pay your fees and never hear from them again?"

Is this the same as you bought her dinner and drinks and dancing - now you are home alone?

I don't belong and never have.

02-Jan-19
I'm not a member.

03-Jan-19
What about Local Chapter of Safari Club/archery, MN State Archery Assoc., MDHA, or NWTF Chapters?? US Sportsmans Alliance? (the group has presence in all 50 states wrote the hunter anti-harassment laws for all 50 states).

Really can't complain about the state of things if you don't belong to any of them, or volunteer when you do..

03-Jan-19
I use to be a member with different waterfowl organizations. Looked and sounded good at first but the deeper you get the more fighting and wasted time you see. Seems some of these organizations are more of a good old boys club than anything. I’m sure some are great groups I have a bad taste though.

03-Jan-19
Agreed been member of quite a few, filled board seats all the way up to president level.

Similar to all other non-profits always short on staff and usually the same few people do all the work. Either that or its a power struggle due to politics for any changes for the club, click ,etc. My suggestion is don't give up.

The antis are much more organized, financed and filled with resolve to ultimately stop hunting, in all its forms. You gotta try...

03-Jan-19
Thanks tonybear! I believe you are spot on!

04-Jan-19
I definitely think we need something at the state level. that's why I sent them my money.

I wasn't expecting much, some idea of what's going on would be nice. The newsletter on the website hasn't been updated since 2014. I contacted Brooks and he replied immediately, told me he would make sure I was in the system. I guess that's a start. Maybe I'll just become a member of the North Dakota Bowhunters.

04-Jan-19
I've been a member of the MBI since the late 80's, LLBA since it was founded, and I have been a member of the MSAA in the past also. I used to be a member and officer of two local archery clubs also till they folded up. I'm a member of the MBI because they have always been the "voice" for bowhunters in Minnesota since 1946. Without members there would be no organization to help bowhunters. Back in the 80's and early 90's bowhunting was under attack from PETA. The MBI was there to help fight and protect bowhunters. I belong to help support them so they will be there in the future to keep defending bowhunters rights.

05-Jan-19
scooter, do you receive correspondence from them? That's why I signed up but I do want to know what that voice is saying.

05-Jan-19
I get a couple of newsletters mailed to me each year and several e-mail updates. I also get a lot of updates from the Facebook page as well.

06-Jan-19
Interesting, hopefully they will include me in the future.

06-Jan-19
Haven't gotten a newsletter for a while, should show up soon.

06-Jan-19
Haven't gotten a newsletter for a while, should show up soon.

26-Jan-19
I am a member and have never received even an email. It is strange indeed

02-Mar-19

Shawnster's Link
Come to think of it, I haven't seen a newsletter for awhile either. I've been a member for more than 15 years...maybe 20, and was on the Board of Directors for most of those years, including serving as an officer. Got off the Board about a year ago as I had too much else going. I will say it's a good group as they are the only organization that supports the future of bowhunting in Minnesota. But like all organizations, it takes members and directors to make things happen. Most groups struggle with that today. I can attest to their legislative presence as I testified before the Legislature on at least two bills some years ago. I'm not sure what presence they currently have with the Legislature but know that MBI, with Brooks (President) in the lead, doesn't let the DNR off the hook regarding deer management. I just checked their website and it has been recently updated. Looks pretty good. Check it out.

03-Apr-19
Still haven’t heard from them. I doubt I’ll renew

03-Apr-19
That’s not a good sign in 4 months, no email or letters?

04-Apr-19
Nothing. I did send an email to brooks, he replied that he would look into it but then nothing.

• Sitka Gear