hawkeye in PA 04-Jan-19
Red Beastmaster 05-Jan-19
RC 05-Jan-19
Red Beastmaster 05-Jan-19
HARRY CARRY 06-Jan-19
Red Beastmaster 06-Jan-19
RC 07-Jan-19
29-Dec-18
Every year I try to put a gathering together for the Manly Mt Men. Today we met up behind the house at my range and woodlot. I had a big fire going by the time the guys rolled in. The Chief and Woodland Gnome were there, as well as the Yoder boys. Pretty good showing for a cold blustery day.

We limbered up our longbows and recurves shooting a few arrows, then off to the woods to take up our posts. The deer are somewhat predictable most of the time. They're going to take one of five or six routes after being bumped from their beds. We were short on standers and left one spot vacant.

I took Ken with me to teach him the route. We didn't see a tail but it wasn't long until four does and fawns came over the rise toward the Chief. The lead doe somehow spotted him and all four deer went straight to the empty post, then down across the open field. Figures. :)

After a bit of recon we headed back to the fire to warm up. The hot dogs were soon being roasted as the cold wind picked up. Nothing but smiles around the fire. We live for moments like this.

Late season, good friends, real bows, deer drive, big fire, hot dogs, tall tales, lots of laughs! As we parted ways we made plans to do this again just as soon as we can.

It was a very good day.

29-Dec-18
Sounds like a plan..

^5

29-Dec-18
Sounds like a great time!

29-Dec-18
Good to hear you got grandpap out. We use to have those kinda late season hunts. Good memories.

29-Dec-18
Nice post but are you saying whoever does not shoot a stick doesn't shoot a real bow??

Very weak statement

29-Dec-18
He never said that, you said that !

But I'll say it, stickbows are real bows.

They were the first bows.

Then white man put wheels and cams on them to make a super bow.

To make shooting and hunting easier to appease those who look for the easy way out.

Then came sights, releases, higher let off, mechanical heads that expand, sometimes.

Take a look at a longbow or recurve, then look at a compound.

Tell us which one looks like a real bow?

Sorry but that's the truth...

29-Dec-18
Sorry, that's just how we roll.

Our bows are simple, without mechanical advantage. We shoot unaided, holding the full weight, with only our minds eye to guide the arrow. Our bows may be made from modern materials but they would certainly be recognized as a bow by our ancestors.

Yes, we shoot real bows.

"There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy." Coach John Wooden

30-Dec-18
The type of equipment that was used when we were first afforded the season is "real". Everything else is a deviation. :^)

30-Dec-18
And they all rode horse and buggies to get there....driving a gas powered vehicle would be to easy....

30-Dec-18
huntinelk, You're conflating the use of technology in everyday life to technology used in bowhunting. Some sports - like golf - limit technology otherwise even old men could drive a ball 300 yards easily. Other sports, like bowhunting, give the person an opportunity to choose what level of technology they want to use. And even though bowhunters may use a cell phone or game cameras, when it comes time to loose an arrow the only technology that matters to them is what they are holding in their hands, not how they arrived at the hunting spot, how they communicate with their friends or how they scouted in the pre-season.

Whatever bow someone chooses doesn't impact anyone other than the person doing the shooting.

30-Dec-18
Phil, You can spin the technology wheel however it makes you feel good, but the great hunt they shared wouldn't have even taken place without modern technology, phones, gas, internet, I'm betting some of the skills they used to make their chosen weapons were learned from said modern advances. My point is that saying the bows they are using are they same as when bow seasons started aren't correct. I'm betting Ishi didn't cut the tree down with a chainsaw, he didn't use hardened steel tools to make the bow and he certainly didn't use phones or internet to set up a fun day of hunting with friends or use a website that is supposed to be pro bowhunting to bash others chosen bowhunting gear. Setting personal limits and challenges are great that is why we bowhunt. But I don't buy the crap that it's all equal up until you release an arrow with fingers or I release it with a mechanical realease. BTW it is nice to have a chance to respond instead of just having a post deleted...

30-Dec-18
Some people have such tender feelings, its hard to say anything anymore without hurting someone's feelings. Glad you and the guys had a great time, Red, and great post so we could share with you.

30-Dec-18
And if one shoots a real bow and uses modern day arrows and points then you are cheating yourself and not giving that real bow justice.

So I would say your half way there. Keep flinging

30-Dec-18
Oh No...

The wheel bow guys got their pink skirts blown up in the air I see:)

"No one said" y'all couldn't hunt with a compound in this thread..

Just saying that longbows and recurves are real bows.

Compound bows are compound bows, huge difference.

If ya didn't like the first post, then why not just back out of the conversation?

30-Dec-18
You know, if someone hosted a hi-tech compound only late season hunt I bet not one of us trad guys would have said a negative word about it. Just saying.

I just got home from the trad only shoot at Herminie. Around four dozen archers, all toting stickbows, all shooting for fun with out score cards, all grinning ear to ear. Pretty cool thing to be part of. We do tend to stick together but are always ready to welcome a newby to our ranks.

30-Dec-18
huntinelk, Your last sentence should get your post deleted but then you'd never know why. Again you're conflating things. Ishi has nothing to do with this.

How the wood was cut, what glue was used, even if there was if there was electricity in the shop all has nothing to do with what you can't seem to grasp. A bent stick, whether laminated or a selfbow, a string, drawing with fingers and aiming with your eyes only is the point.

It's not the only way and compounds are fun for many to shoot but there is something far more basic to relying on an archer's abilities alone. That isn't putting anyone down for a compound, just saying that there are a lot of guys that probably wouldn't bowhunt today if the compound wasn't around. Many folks wanted an easier way and the compound presented that. Much like the crossbow has eroded compound shooters by making it easier still.

That hunt and many like it could easily have happened without the surrounding technology but the fact that they drove somewhere doesn't take away from the bow they shot and their direct involvement in shooting it.

30-Dec-18
Phil, You are absolutely 100% correct in your line of thinking, my thinking is flawed. Good luck on all your hunts in 2019, with your chosen weapon.

30-Dec-18
RC you're funny pink skirts real bow. I call BS!

Are you shooting wooden arrows and flint tips? That makes it a complete primitive bow not "real" bow knuckle head!!

I shoot a real Carbon compound bow and love it. Oh yea I also made a recurve bow back in high school and sold it. My father said I would regret someday. Back in 1990 $125 bucks was a lot. I tracked him down and got the bow back for the same amount.

Took it to a bowyer and he said wow couldn't believe what great shape it was in. Made me a new string and a dozen Carbon arrows. I tinker with it. But I plan to get wooden arrows and flint tips and harvest a deer some day.

I will get that primitive feeling after I harvest but would never say yea I killed it with a "real bow" all bows are real bows not fake if they can harvest a deer.

Red Beastmaster glad you guys had a great time with your traditional gear.

30-Dec-18

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Good on you.

This bow will be about the 40th bow I have made.

Regret cutting the tree with a chain saw.

I've hunted with flint heads.

I've taken about 15 bucks with a stick bow.

But I drive a high tech 4 x 4 truck.

Haven't shot wheels in 17 years.

So I guess I'm not a real trad archer.

30-Dec-18
Forgot to say, I've been making bamboo arrows too.

Chopping feathers from wild Turkey wings too.

You came in here and cast the first stone.

I'm on my phone now or I could post a lot of real bow and real arrow pictures.

What came first, the stick bow or the compound bow?

I don't care what type bow a guy shoots or hunts with, I hunt with guys who shoot wheels.

And we don't say a word to each other about their bow choice.

But i shoot an original bow.

You pink skirt wheel guys ok with that?

LOL god this is fun.

30-Dec-18
huntinelk, Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say your thinking was flawed, I said you don't understand, which is fine.

What may get lost in this is that whatever weapon someone chooses doesn't matter to me. As long as the hunter is ethical and responsible I don't care what legal weapon they use. Some of my good friends use compound bows, others use stickbows and most use guns in the appropriate seasons. It's the person, not the weapon.

Good luck in 2019 to you too.

30-Dec-18
Phil has friends? And I thought RC was feeding us a line of bull. Happy New Year Mr. Magistro:^)

30-Dec-18
You should know better than to believe anything RC says. Meant to say some of my former friends..... I usually have friends for at least a day or two. Some may last a bit longer. :)

Happy New Year Bob! Hope you are well.

31-Dec-18
As a non-hunting Archer, I imagine I would have enjoyed being a part of the hunting party that Mr. Red Beastmaster described.

Had they taken game with their gear, I would have witnessed first-hand what the hunting experience means to a Traditional Archer, and, for the most part, a hunter of any type.

Learning to appreciate what one does not know...is simply that: learning.

Good luck on your next hunt, Red, and the Mountain Men....

31-Dec-18
Phil and I used to be friends till I found out he wears pantyhose in the winter to stay warm:)

Prolly pink ones too.

LOL

31-Dec-18
That sounds like a great time Red! (Whatever you were hunting with ;-)

31-Dec-18
LOL agree this is fun!

Anyway best of luck to all and perhaps I'll check in with you RC will need to get some wooden arrows some day and nap some heads. Really is on my bucket list. Or I can always go to Leon here in Chester County.

31-Dec-18
Good luck to all in the late season!

Kum Ba Ya!

31-Dec-18
Happy New Year guys...

You too I guess, Phil...

XO

31-Dec-18
Can't we all just get along???

:) :) :) :) :)

Enjoyed reading about your days Adventure. We did something similar up In the northeast part of the state this past Saturday. But we did use a little more technology. All in all we had a great time.

Will be doing it again this coming Saturday

01-Jan-19
Hope you guys put some deer on the ground, Edward....

Start a thread after and post pictures of the day.

02-Jan-19
How many guys gonna hunt, Ed?

02-Jan-19
RC,,, We had 10 last Saturday. It ant like rifle hunting where guys can be 100+ yds apart.. 3 or 4 drives and the rest standers. I think this coming Saturday we will have 2 more guys that will be just drives. Like to have 5 drivers and 7 standers for this coming Saturday. Never Had that many guys before, but we sure had fun last Saturday with 10.. I think just about everyone saw deer but me.. But I did most of the drives.

02-Jan-19

monkeyball's embedded Photo
monkeyball's embedded Photo
We use to get a gang together in late season, 99% carried Flintlocks. I was the one %.

In 2007 we had a really good Saturday, drive and stand all morning long, then break for lunch and hit it again. This was our lineup on that special day. And oh yeah, I was carrying a Mon-River Venom (remember that one Bob?) and put it on the money at 4.5 yards running past me.

Good Shooting->->->->Craig

02-Jan-19
Ahh,the good ole days. Use to put a fire in the garage, carry in the picnic table and order pizza for lunch. Anywhere from 6 to 10 hunters. Good times for sure. I arrowed quite a few, but the laughs over the misses is what I remember/miss the most.

PS, that picture can't be that old with that buck.

02-Jan-19
Why would that be hawkeye?

02-Jan-19
Sent PM Craig.

02-Jan-19
Back to you buddy.

02-Jan-19
Be careful hawkeye, don't want to start another riot!

Everyone in our group did enjoy just "deer" hunting on Saturday. We all had the same opinion of the current state of affairs. ;)

03-Jan-19
Enjoyed reading the first post about the hunt...as soon as it got into a Stick Bow VS. Compound bow BLAH BLAH BLAH...Stopped reading...finished my coffee and "Real" homemade chocolate chip cookies made with an electric mixer and cooked in an electric stove...took a dump...and went out with the old flinter to fill my Buck Tag. Good morning and good luck hunting.

03-Jan-19
I'm trying to be good, its hard.

03-Jan-19

DaleHajas's embedded Photo
DaleHajas's embedded Photo

03-Jan-19
Dale, LMFAO:)

03-Jan-19
went out with the old flinter to fill my Buck Tag

Why didn't ya take your bow?

04-Jan-19
We have round #2 planned for Saturday afternoon when the rain ends. I'll post the results.

I saw two coyotes the other night. They can screw up the best laid plans. I'd love for someone to put an arrow through one of them.

04-Jan-19
Probably should invite a few crossbowers then! ROFLMAO Better yet a couple Westmoreland Cty killers over. Id offer the BARFTECH Disaster to make a mess, But its being used for aiding Television reception.

04-Jan-19
Good luck gents. Maybe save a hot dog for that metiki guy.

05-Jan-19
No alternative variations allowed!

No hot dogs on this hunt either. That was a one and done thing.

05-Jan-19
One thing Red, if ya serve hot dogs, ya won't have to listen to Hajas's bullchit cause he'll be too busy eating:)

05-Jan-19
Today we had four standers and one pusher. The Gnome saw a couple coming but they disappeared. Must have squirted out the end and ran through a yard. It is what it is.

Beautiful day after the monsoon ended.

06-Jan-19
Gosh darn the pusher, man....

Rain ended here somewhere before 10 AM, and the sun was creeping out shortly there after. Glad the "M.M.M. Squad" found another worthy day, with bows in hand.

Was wondering how things were going for yinz, sometime around the noon hour.

Was it Red, Gnome, Chief, Perfect, and ????

06-Jan-19
No Mr Perfect, Ken and Tim Yoder, chief, gnome, me.

Not many deer hanging around here this year. Must be the mild winter. They're finding feed up on the mountain. This time last year in the cold and snow two man drives were moving up to 16 deer in my woodlot.

07-Jan-19
Wait till it gets colder and snows, then fence in and post the woodlot:)

• Sitka Gear