Bowhunter s 27-Jan-19
Bowhunter s 27-Jan-19
Justgrad25 28-Jan-19
PAbowhunter1064 28-Jan-19
Teeton 28-Jan-19
Griz 28-Jan-19
bill v 29-Jan-19
29-Dec-18
Well got out with 10 of my buddy's today and as we didn't get a shot. We did move some deer. I didn't see any but, we did see about 20 and 4 of them where buck.. One was a wallhanger that 2 of the guys got to see it but couldn't get a shot. A few of us may get out Monday. But wouldn't have a big group till next Saturday.

How's everyone else doing?

30-Dec-18
Was out with grandson on Wednesday seen 5 does, no shooting for us. But heard one Rifle shot at the fleeing deer. Moved locations and found a few active scrapes but no deer sightings. Jumped a bedded doe but to thick for a shot on Friday. Saturday was a road trip through the country side and seen very few hunters and or vehicles.

30-Dec-18
Hello Ed. I have not flung an arrow in Dec! Geese. I have today and tomorrow to change that. I’m sitting right now in NJ. Did 3 hunts yesterday including one small push. Saw 5 bucks and one doe no shots Bill v

30-Dec-18
Teeton if you don't mind me asking what part of the state you hunting ? 20 deer 4 buck in late season, let me guess you are hunting eastern pa?

30-Dec-18
I've gone out with flintlock twice nothing but turkeys.

30-Dec-18
Northeast, was hunting lackawanna co this day

30-Dec-18
26th- Morning with Flintlock sitting nothing...around 11 AM couple of drives saw about 13 doe. Hunted the evening with a bow and saw more deer than I could count in a cut corn field.

27th- Morning sit with the bow- Nothing. Stalked a bedding area and got 30 yards to some doe but too much brush- no draw. Evening sit with the bow. two doe 100 yards out.

28th---Morning rain slept in. Evening with the bow. One sick looking deer out of range.

29th--Evening with the Flintlock- nothing.

31-Dec-18
Bowhunter s,, where you from?

31-Dec-18
South western pa , beaver county, lawrence county areas I hunt , so it 1a ,

31-Dec-18
Bowhunter s,,,Going to ask you to wanted come hunt with us next Saturday, it's (Guess) 200/250miles away.

31-Dec-18
Was planning to go out on Sat. but I got sick. Spent the whole weekend indoors. Hope to make up for it tomorrow! ;-)

31-Dec-18
Teeton sounds like a good deal thanks for the invite I got a buck tag left good anywhere in state for a doe with flintlock , but with my work scheldule I'm on I only get 1 sat off a month and that's not the sat, lol. I'd love to hunt the eastern part of the state.

31-Dec-18
Little damp out today,but sure made for quiet sneaking. Seen one small buck and seven does, almost had a shot. They had no idea where I was, then a few decided better get over to the sanctuary. The rest followed. The gray squirrels sure where active today.

31-Dec-18
5D yarded up pretty good. We did some bow pushes to hopefully break them up. We had herds of 15 to 20 to 35 or so.

Good to know we still have a good population. A few nice shooters.

We do a lot of 1/3 or 1/1 drives.

02-Jan-19
Seeing deer every time out acting normal again, not running for their lives. Had two coming in last night only to have a dog in the distance bark and make them take a different trail.

02-Jan-19
Pleasant sit in northern 2B this morning, no deer just a lot of squirrels.

03-Jan-19
New Years Day---Took a big nanny with the old flinter during a morning hunt...Evening hunt sat in a ground blind with the bow and a special lady friend for her first ever hunt...we saw nothing but had fun.

01/02---Fun deer drive in the afternoon saw lots of tails...evening sit with the flinter one lone doe or BB or antlerless buck at 5 yards last light...only a buck tag left so let the deer pass.

03-Jan-19
Congrats on the flinter deer still trying for my first flinter deer.

03-Jan-19
I havnt seen a deer yet in late season been out with flinter 3 or 4 times, saw 3 at the private property I hunt in 2d, only thing when I pulled in they were 30 yards by my my tuck lookin at me, lol. Saw nothing on stand. Mom and 2 little ones small fawns for this time of year.

03-Jan-19
They were dumb kinda for this time of year, could I have shot them yes, I actually pointed my empty flintlock at the mom, but that's not me.

03-Jan-19

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Was able to get out after work tonight.

03-Jan-19
Congrats fellas

03-Jan-19
Way to go, Gene!! Congrats!

03-Jan-19
Nice doe. Congrats

03-Jan-19
Congrats! Way to get it done in the late season.

03-Jan-19
Nice! Late season meat!

03-Jan-19
Congratulations

03-Jan-19
Dan Wesson just curious do you shoot roundball and patch or Sabots? Everyone is telling me to switch to sabots, I like the tradition of the roundball ,I've just having seen what it can do still trying for my first deer with flinter, I have a thompson center renegade 1n 48 twist, I know 1 n 28 would be real good for Sabots.

04-Jan-19
Congrats on a fine doe.

04-Jan-19
Nice deer!

05-Jan-19
Due to circumstances beyond our control, rain and fog. We did not get out today to make any drives or get out at all.. Maybe if rain stops I'll go for a walkabout later today.

05-Jan-19
It’s wet out here. Saw nothing this morning and back out for more rain this afternoon

05-Jan-19
Saw 4 last evening , no shots. Like to get a nice 40 to 50 yard shot with the flinter this last week.

06-Jan-19
Yes it the bowsite and 95 % of all posts are on bowhunting one way or another. Some are not. Like the Founding Father of the bowsite Pat who posts pictures of coyotes shot with ar's.

06-Jan-19
Ed, Show you how much Pat hates coyotes.

06-Jan-19
Yotes kill fawns, I call it saving deer.

06-Jan-19
What on earth does Mushroom hunting have to do with Bow Hunting??

06-Jan-19
I’ve been told Pat L says mushroom threads are allowed

07-Jan-19
Mushroom heads or Mushroom threads?! ;-)

08-Jan-19
Nut,,, you bring like the best mushrooms to the 5c hunt... Far out man!!! Your like totally like the coolest bowhunter I know,,,,,, man!! :)

08-Jan-19
You talking about the same rut butt I know?

08-Jan-19
YEP, same nut!!! He's the most psychedelic bowhunter I know. :)

08-Jan-19
LMBO Ed! : )

08-Jan-19
I was in Ohio Saturday and Sunday for ML season and didn't see a deer. There was shooting all around the neighboring properties and a ton of fresh sigh, but not one deer walked by me.

I'm gonna try to hunt Friday night and Saturday. I'm kind of burned out so I may just call it for the season. I need to focus on next months Barbary Sheep hunt in NM.

08-Jan-19
Make sure you pack body cavity in ice if you shoot one today, lol. Weather is terrible for late season.

08-Jan-19
I was out in southern Ashtabula county in Ohio today. Weather was fine when I went there. By the time I got almost to my stand to pull it. The weather got nasty. That was in about 15 minutes. The wind was blowing pretty hard and the rain and hail was going side ways. Oh, the lighting was all around. Got the stand down. Then headed out. Hoped I would not get hit by lighting. Got home an watched the noon news. They said there was a tornado just south of me. WOW, I was almost not in Ohio anymore.

12-Jan-19

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Well we got it done today. One buck and a doe..

12-Jan-19

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo

12-Jan-19

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Today we made 5 drives and move deer on all but one. I only saw 6 and 2 deer came by over a hill that had rocks the size of wheel barrel. I couldn't believe how good and fast they made it over them. They came by at only 15 yards. But where moving to fast for a shot. I never took a shot with the bow at a running deer even though they where at 15 yds. We saw about 35 deer 3 had horns. *

For the life of me it wouldn't let me rotate the pic..

Never mined I got it !!!

12-Jan-19
I sat a stand in New Jersey this morning. It was nice to finally drag a deer out of there. A small yearling, but good eating, and the landowner is happy.

13-Jan-19

Hoyter2804's embedded Photo
Great times with great friends yesterday

13-Jan-19

13-Jan-19
Congratulations Andy. Looks like everyone enjoyed the day!

14-Jan-19
Way to go Ed! Looks like you had a good day up there, as we did down in 5C. Some Gnarly terrain up your way!

14-Jan-19
Good job guys..

^5

14-Jan-19
Very cool, guys! Congratulations to all! That second deer from the left (in the pic), doesn't seem to fulfill the antler restriction criteria, and that dude looks like he is a few years beyond possessing a junior license! Also looks like BOWJO is sporting the new UBP cap for 2019! Love it!! ;-D

14-Jan-19
I always knew bowjo was a skinhead:)

14-Jan-19
Kids dek hockey and basketball have prevented me getting them out the past several Saturday's. Was going to try for next Sat. afternoon to get my daughter out but it looks like mother nature may have other plans. If it holds, 3-5" of snow in the afternoon with another 4-6" or more overnight, don't think I'll be out on the roads to get out hunting.

14-Jan-19
Good deal Ed!!

14-Jan-19
Josh- that dude is a kid.....................at heart! ;-)

14-Jan-19

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
It was a great day! Started with breakfast at Cracker Barrel at 6am.

14-Jan-19

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Then we went to one of Dan’s farms to push 2 small wood lots. First push produced nothing. The second one pushed out 2 coyotes! Ironically, one circled back and almost ran over Joe! The other one came out crossed the field and then hedgerow right between Darryl and me- unfortunately we were 80y apart and neither one of us had a good shot. It was a big male with a beautiful red tint to his coat. About 5 min later, a doe came running across the field about 30y to my right, but never broke stride. I grunted several times trying to get her to stop, but she didn’t even flinch!

14-Jan-19

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
When the coyote crossed the hedgerow to my left, I looked over my left shoulder to see if it turned and came up the edge of the field. I was shocked when I spotted a buck’s head hanging in a tree!

14-Jan-19

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
After Dan and Joe came out to end the drive, I walked over to investigate. It was actually 2 buck’s heads tied together and hung from the tree branch. Apparently somebody did not want to pay for beatles! ;-)

14-Jan-19
The rest of the day we pushed small woodlots that Dan and Joe Hunt around the Bethlehem area. Just about every drive moved deer and we had many close calls, but Andy was the only one that got a shot. (I actually had a doe come in on the same property and stop at 20y- unfortunately the only thing I could see thru the opening in the brush was her head. About 10 min before that I had a 5pt and 3 doe come thru and went behind the strip of brush in front of me, instead of in front of it which would have been a 30y shot.

14-Jan-19
About 3pm we got set up in our treestands for the evening sit. Joe, Gary and I were set up about 30y apart in a small finger of woods. Almost no way for deer to get past us without getting shot at. I don’t think we were in our stands 15 min when we started seeing deer. The first group walked right under Joe who took his time and waited for a nice close shot and put one down. It went only 25y and dropped. One came over in front of me and stopped at 30y. Unfortunately there was a tree branch covering it’s vitals. I needed 2 more steps, but it eventually spun around and went straight away from us with the other deer.

14-Jan-19
I don’t think it was 5 min later and we had deer sneak past behind us. (How’d they do that???!!!) No shots. Maybe 10 min later more deer come in to Joe. He looks like he is going to draw on one but doesn’t. One of the deer comes over to me and looks like it will step out at 20y. I look back towards Joe waiting for him to draw on the one still in front of him. I figure when he draws, I will draw and then shoot- that way we both might get a shot. But he’s not drawing. My deer steps out and it’s now or never, so I draw, quickly aim and shoot. My deer is down. Then the other deer take off. We continue to watch deer in the distance until 20 min before last light when we see deer coming in on Gary’s side. I see deer come into the clearing about 40y to his right. I see him draw but the deer is facing him. I figure he is waiting for it to turn broadside, but when it does, he is still holding at full draw. It seemed like 2 min! I am wondering why he’s still holding. What I didn’t realize is there was a deer coming in thru the brush at 20y that stopped 1 step from the opening. Eventually Gary “shoots” but I find out later he bumped his release letting down. Dang!

14-Jan-19

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I get down and go to get my deer and discover it is actually a buck! There is now some debate whether it is a racked buck that she’d it’s antlers or a button buck. It was a nice sized deer, so I am thinking racked buck, but some are claiming button buck. You decide.

14-Jan-19
It's deer meat....

That's all that counts.

14-Jan-19
Yep, either way, it got donated to HSH, so it went to a good cause!

Andy and Darryl were on another property and Andy got his second deer of the day, while Darryl had buck’s chasing each other around the property and kept chasing doe out of range which was frustrating because Darryl used his buck tag opening morning on a huge buck so he could only shoot a slick head.

Later we met at the park and ride for pictures. Somebody commented that there might be police tape there in the morning due to all the blood on the pavement! ;-)

All in all, it was an epic day! Don’t think any of us had ever seen more deer and/or had as much action in one day- it was one for the books!

14-Jan-19
Nice story Perry thanks for sharing.

14-Jan-19
Yea good story perry , I had a decent day after work last week saw 8 in a hour.

14-Jan-19
It's nice to get a group togeather and do late season hunts, we did one last friday up in crawford county, sat in morNing and pushed rest of day , we got 20 movin no shots, alot broke out before the posters, still had a good time. Some of the guys were retired from my work , havnt seen them for a couple of years.

14-Jan-19
Thanks guys! Always good to get together with like-minded individuals doing what we love! I think I appreciate it more as I get older. Bowhunting tends to be a solitary endeavor, but can be so much fun when shared with others! ;-)

14-Jan-19
Sounds like a fantastic time!

15-Jan-19
Good job

15-Jan-19
The places I hunted this past weekend was loaded with coyote tracks everywhere, 1 spot they out numbered the deer tracks by far, did not know we had that many coyotes, my buddy missed 1 , I saw a big one to far out to shoot.

15-Jan-19
Bowhunter s,, Years back we had coyotes and didn't know till we got snow why we didn't see many deer that fall. If I remember right we killed 5 in gun season and had a trapper come in and trap.. Now sure how many he got.. Since then we have a trapper come in ever year.. This pass late season was the most tracks in a long time, but we still had deer. Hope the trapper is coming back this year. He would come back after xmas and set snares and if weather was right reg traps. We did see 2 of them the first Saturday of the late season, but saw none this pass Saturday. I don't think we got it as bad as years back, as none were seen in gun season. I do think that if you have a lot of them in a area you will not have that many deer. just from them killing them, to just pushing them away.

15-Jan-19
I knew there was some but not as many as I know now, that's why I don't see many does on this property, it's my rut spot I see more buck then doe, truthfully I've mite saw 5 doe there in last 5 to 6 years, I just see a buck strolling for a doe, but now we got snow I hunted it yesterday it's 2 b. All kind of coyote tracks. Good place to start shooting them or trapping. They are smart hunted this woods for years never saw 1 in daylight no howling or nothing, other guys have seen them there in late season.

15-Jan-19
5 doe in the last 5-6 years? C’mon man....;^)

15-Jan-19

Yodameister's embedded Photo
This is how my doe ended her uphill sprint on this steep ridge.
Yodameister's embedded Photo
This is how my doe ended her uphill sprint on this steep ridge.
Hunted with family and friends in 2B yesterday. One guy missed a doe in the first drive and I shot two. One was just under 30 yards and ran 50 yards straight up a steep ridge before expiring. Other ran by at 3 yards and I got too excited and made a bad shot. I knew it was guts and we decided my brother would follow up the next morning. Other close calls the rest of the day but no more shooting. My brother recovered my other doe this morning. Found her not too stiff near about a dozen bloody beds after trailing her 170 yards. Overnight temps were in the 20s so she had not been dead long. Hate it that she suffered but glad we didn’t take up the trail yesterday afternoon like we wanted to. Probably would have bumped her a lot farther. I need to learn to pass on those close running shots. They usually do not end like I hope.

15-Jan-19
That's the truth stick n string, see maby 5 buck in a good year in these woods, and maby a couple doe, I only hunt it during the rut. And in the early season. The doe are always on pins and needles now I know why there's coyotes in there everywhere, there killing all the fawns in that area.

15-Jan-19
Plus it was in a spot where you could shoot buck or doe for 2 weeks in rifle, then it was in for years with rifle till almost Feb with high power rifles in the late season. Then coyotes are in there.

15-Jan-19
Hmmmmmmm

16-Jan-19
Congratulations successful hunters.

I'm in 2B and Monday night at 4:30 PM heard another high power rifle shot. Sure is a lot of people that don't read the rule book changes. Did have a estrus doe pee in the yard Sunday night.

16-Jan-19
Ya missed your chance, Jeff:)

16-Jan-19
Don't eat yellow snow.

16-Jan-19
Still chasing the same buck.. Year #3.

16-Jan-19
How ya know, he have an ear tag or something?

16-Jan-19
RC,, you can't tell the diff between deer!?!?

16-Jan-19
It would be pretty easy to know what deer is what deer if you only saw 5 in 5 to 6 years I would imagine… Unless when you accidentally woke up from your nap to see one of those deer your eyes were too foggy to get a good look at it

16-Jan-19
RC,, you can't tell the diff between deer!?!?

Hell all ya gotta do is spread their back legs and look:)

17-Jan-19
Rc,, you gave a whole new meaning to the term "deer porn" !! :)

17-Jan-19
We will prolly have to explain that to rut butt:)

17-Jan-19
I'm still trying to figure out why my DOE had a nut sack! ;-)

Good job Curtis! Sounds like you guys have got the late season thing DOWN! (3 deer in 2 years?)

18-Jan-19
Rc, don't start tripping.. When I say it is the same buck, if you see the collections of photos from this guy, there is no mistaking him for another. Yeah, he is that impressive, and the rack is unique to the point it makes it hard to shoot another buck in his place.

27-Jan-19
Well, it finally ended yesterday and its been a long a$$ grind. While I'm still hunting NJ for a couple more weekends , its a good time to look at Pa stats for me. man, its kinda crazy when you look at the numbers. I hunted 68 times for 194 hours, saw 67 bucks, 86 does, 73 yearlings and 30 unknowns. Between bsked and I we had 24 Pa stands out. As some of you may know, we do alot of management hunting down here in SE Pa so, were lucky to be fairly close to our hunting and there for get out a bunch of times. I hope everyone enjoyed their season, I need a break.

Show season is upon us. Visit the UBP booth at a show this year. We have Harrisburg up first and for you lancaster area people try The Eastern Chapter of the Wild Sheep foundation show in Lancaster on Feb 16th

See you there, Bill V

27-Jan-19
Damn south east pa is where it's at , you could not see those numbers in southern northern pa in 30 years , damn.

27-Jan-19
I meant south western , north western pa. Damn that's good numbers.

28-Jan-19
umm.....if I hunted as much as bill, I'd probably see similar numbers in both areas of the state Bowhunter... (Westmoreland, Allegheny and Warren Co.s) Just sayin'

28-Jan-19
Way to go, Bill! Sounds like you and bsked had a pretty good season. What was the final tally of deer taken between you two? I'm hoping to make either or both the Great Outdoors and the WSF Expo.... I'll catch up with you there!

28-Jan-19
Wow Bill you sure get out hunting a lot,, I'm jealous.. I pretty much got out Half Saturdays and about 4 full days and one 1/2 day of the archery bear season up north.. Ed

28-Jan-19
BillV, Similar numbers here. 222 hours on stand over 60 hunting days with 64 sits. 56 buck seen and 146 doe. Mostly 5D. I don't hunt much in the morning once I get my buck. It was a long drag this year and the up and down weather made it extra hard on those colder days.

29-Jan-19
Hello josh, that number is classified??. Maybe see you in Lancaster

Ed, I make sure it’s priority to get out as much as possible and we’re lucky it’s not too far

Hello Chris! Our sightings were a little lower then most years. Yea weather was a pain. It also took 49 hrs this year to kill the first one

• Sitka Gear