Jims 31-Dec-18
JL 31-Dec-18
Junior 02-Jan-19
JL 02-Jan-19
Junior 02-Jan-19
JL 02-Jan-19
Junior 02-Jan-19
30-Dec-18
I've been playing around on the interactive map on the WY F&G site. I have 5 deer and antelope points and was wondering if a combo hunt is realistic in certain areas. A couple of questions come to mind as I'm researching this.

When you look at the BLM map for a unit, it may show a fair amount of public land. When you get to that specific unit's description page on the F&G hunt planner site, it will state public land access is poor. Is that description for that specific unit or is that for the whole area (as in Area G, etc)? I'm thinking it's for the whole area but not sure?

I know one can go to the F&G hunt planner and look at the deer/antelope units in the areas of interest and manually select the overlap of the two in the same general area. When you overlap them and then click on the deer (or antelope) unit number on the map, you get the draw odds, quotas, unit info, etc. Then when you go back to the map, the antelope (or deer) number is gone and you have to manually do the overlap again. That appears like an interactive website glitch but that is the way it works. To me that seems like a long and tedious back-n-forth way to do it. Is there by chance a website out there that has already done the overlaps for these deer and antelope combo hunts and lists the info...or at least some of it, that is on the hunt planner? Ideally the website has done all of the research and would give you the two overlapping unit numbers (for example....Deer 135 - Antelope 93) plus public access, maybe draw odds, etc. I think Easton's has the info for individual units but not for overlapping combo hunts?? That may be asking alot but I figure it's a good question to ask if other have already gone down this road. The combo info would be a good starting point to start researching deeper. Others might be wondering the same thing. Otherwise....it's going to be a long manual process on the hunt planner. Gracias....John

31-Dec-18
Just because a unit has lots of public land doesn't necessarily mean hunters have access to the public land. As an example....the checkard=board land that runs on each side of I80. Every other section is BLM, however, if a public road doesn't cross the public there is no access to it. With that said, there are millions of acres of public land in Wyo with no public access. It will likely take time to figure out which units actually have public land where you can hunt. You can use the percent public land in those website's at face value.

You are absolutely right that it may take a lot of time figuring out where the deer and antelope units intersect. To complicate things even more....some areas may have few deer but lots of antelope.....and visa-versa. You may need to move locations to hunt either species?

31-Dec-18
Jim....thanks for replying. Ya...I noticed that about one of the deer units. The description said the deer were scarce on the SE side of it below a certain highway.

02-Jan-19
We did a combo hunt and although we almost filled all tags. It wasn't very smart. Just to much stress and a waist of points. Do some research, once you burn ur points you will never catch up starting over. Focus on one specie..if antelope hunting, grab some doe tags to combo with your buck. Your in a good spot with 5 points, use them wisely.

02-Jan-19
Junior....good point. How many days did you work at it? Thanks

02-Jan-19
We had a 14 day trip...10 days hunting, and 4 days driving.

02-Jan-19
Ok....I don't have a time limit. Splitting up the hunts might not be a bad idea though.

FWIW.......I stumbled upon this guy's Youtubes about applying for tags in Wyoming. He has some good info.

02-Jan-19
A lot of outfitters offer combo hunts. Most have private to hunt, but not all. Looking at there websites may give you some insight. Another idea, maybe figure out what antelope area you like, then look into the region deer tag. Some region tags could be draw 2nd choice a few years back. Saving your deer points. Keep in mind the opening dates too! That threw a wrench in our plan a couple times.

• Sitka Gear