tzolk 04-Jan-19
K Cummings 04-Jan-19
tzolk 04-Jan-19
K Cummings 04-Jan-19
tzolk 04-Jan-19
Jon Stewart 04-Jan-19
Big buck ODY 07-Jan-19
04-Jan-19
I've never posted here, always on leatherwall, and I find myself in a pickle sort of. We left the mountains of Sandpoint Idaho, where hunting was as easy as stepping out the front door, and moved to Battle Creek. To get my wife and boys closer to family in metro Detroit yet still be employed with the railroad in the Chicago area. I am able to practice shooting the longbows at home but am unsure of places to hunt. I drove around Ft Custer rec area yesterday and that looks inviting but I'd like to get some experienced opinions of anyone in the area. That rec area is the closest to me, we live in Emmett Charter Township a bit south of the city. Ft Custer looks like they have some great land to hunt but I have no idea if they allow veterans to hunt it or just active military. Any help is appreciated!

04-Jan-19
Can't help you much with your specific questions as I live an hunt in the northern part of the state but I wanted to say welcome to Michigan.

There are lots of traditional bow hunters here in MI that post over on the LW so you might want to post your questions over there. It gets way more traffic than this forum. Just put "attn: MI bow hunters" in the title and I'm sure there will be someone that is very familiar with the areas in question.

Good luck. Maybe our paths will cross some day.

KPC

04-Jan-19
Thanks Kevin! We are originally from here, just more near Detroit. Born and raised in Ypsilanti, wife is from Canton. I will take your advice and post this over there.

04-Jan-19
Well, in that case...welcome home.

:)

KPC

04-Jan-19
Lol, thanks! It truely IS home. I don't think I fully appreciated Michigans beauty until we came back. Like what T. S. Eliot said, "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”

04-Jan-19
I posted on your leathereall page also. Someone mentioned joining the MTB. I would suggest the Michigan Bow Hunters or the Michigan Long Bow Association instead. Really the only people that can answer your question about hunter on Fort Custer is Fort Custer. I don't think they let veterans hunt there. I know active military can as my niece is stationed there.

Welcome back to Michigan

I just googled it. It looks like they didn't allow hunting last year. They have a limited draw public hunt. Their site is full of info.

07-Jan-19
Welcome to the area i am from Kalamazoo. I was part of the group leaders at Fort Custer base and we did all the hunts inside the base. I still have the directors phone number so we should talk. I took veteran disabled hunters out on a special veterans hunt for years i successfully videotaped my hunter shooting a mature doe several years back. The web site to look at is Fortcusterhunt.com(one of my bucks is in the photo section) it is a lottery hunt during the regular fall seasons they have weekend hunts with specific dates. They have like 8 gun hunting units and 2 designated bowhunting units. Ive got two deer on my wall mounted from bowhunting units in there.

• Sitka Gear