sitO 10-Jan-19
Does 10-Jan-19
sitO 10-Jan-19
Slate 10-Jan-19
sitO 10-Jan-19
Thornton 10-Jan-19
Slate 10-Jan-19
04-Jan-19
Curious to know if any of you NR's got a refund of your hunting license fee when you got rejected in last years lottery? The 97 dollar part.

07-Jan-19
I think the you lose the $97 but you get back the tag money if you don't get picked.

At least that how it was for me.

07-Jan-19
Did you get a preference point?

07-Jan-19
Yes, i got picked the next year. Saw alot of deer. A few nice bucks, but nothing over 4 years old. hoping i can make it out there next year!

09-Jan-19
I have never not drawn. It's awesome that they give out non res tags like water.

09-Jan-19
Awesome for now... pretty soon you won't even want one cause our deer quality will be similar to Pennsylvania's.

09-Jan-19
That's why people hate the NR's like you Eric...get used to it

09-Jan-19
And.....price will go up again. Every year we should raise the price by 7% until we get to an 85/15 split residents to non resident.

09-Jan-19
A nonresident pays 10 times what a resident does for a tag. Why would the state want more residents hunting versus nonresidents? Serious question.

09-Jan-19
Matte,

Raising the price 7% or basically a tank of gas isn't going to stop NR's from coming to end up at the 85%/15% split.

Just curious, what is the estimated percent of NR's to Residents deer tags issued now?

09-Jan-19
Sooo, NR tags cost 10x's more than a resident's tag.... Leasing and increased land prices associated with deer hunting has brought in more money and increased the state's tax revenue.... Where has this money gone? Has public land acreage been increased? Has public land habitat been improved (over pre-open boarders)? Are there more game wardens to help protect the resource? Or has the money....?

It's an honest question and I think there are people here that are involved enough to know the answer.

09-Jan-19

KB's Link
Table 4, Quinn. I find some of these numbers a little hard to believe, but it’s what we’ve got. Which is a lot more than anything Loyd gave us.

09-Jan-19
Quinn the 7% increase would be a yearly increase. If it's really all about the money then let's make it about the money. 15% at the right price may still be worth as much as 35% at the the wrong price. It wouldn't bother me if all states went 85/15 for resident/non resident access.

09-Jan-19
22% seems a little high.....1 in 4 for archery... all about the benjamins

09-Jan-19
Double the price and only allow them to draw every 2nd or 3rd year.

09-Jan-19
As a resident, who doesn't own land, I enjoy hunting, but you nonresidents do NOT pay 10x what I do. My hunting license is 27.50, yours 97.50. My deer permit is 42.50 yours 442.50. Doe tags 22.50 yours 52.50. So it costs me 92.50 to harvest what you pay 592.50 for. What would it cost me as a nonresident to come to your state and hunt? I have met some Great people from out of state, I have also met some jerks. People are the same everywhere, some good some bad. It is what it is. Enjoy hunting and life and the small things won't matter.

09-Jan-19
Don't forget all the sales, income, and property tax paid year around. It all adds up. I'm all for non resident hunters enjoying Kansas but their needs to be a substantial benefits to the residential hunters.

09-Jan-19
Sito, Just having some fun. Only selfish residents like yourself hate us non res guys. The landowner whos property we hunt on loves us. We don't pay a dime to hunt his 320 acres. He does not allow anyone else to hunt his land. Why is that? He won't let residents on it because of the lack of respect they have shown in the past. Not locking gates, not calling before coming over, rutting up his fields and so on. Why does he allow us on his land? Because we don't do any of those things. Hell, he even lets us stay at his place free of charge. I have no ill will toward anyone, even you. Hell i will even buy you a beer this spring when we come out for turkeys. We respect the resources in the great state of Kansas as much as any resident. Good luck in '19

09-Jan-19
Cherney12, you are correct. The quality of the bucks in our state sucks. I personally haven't killed a buck in PA in years. I do average 15+ does with my bow each season tho. I take people from all over the country out each year, hoping for a nice buck but usually only killing does. Had people from Michigan, Maine, Conn, Mass, Maryland, Ohio, Delaware and Oregon. All were successful. Hunting Kansas is just awesome and seeing the giants we see each season keep us coming back.

09-Jan-19
I actually like most NR's and have taken, and helped several...I just don't like pricks.

Look, nobody's ever going to go to PA to hunt deer on purpose, at least nobody would admit it. My Elk tag's are quite a bit more than a KS deer tag, so we're not much different and I say keep pushing up the cost to meet the "saturation point".

If they eliminate the failure piles the "lesser's" like Eric won't come anymore anyway.

09-Jan-19
Polly, in Texas it cost a NR $315 and I believe that comes with tags. Are you suggesting states reciprocate each others’s NR fees?

09-Jan-19
Poly, most NR just buy a license and an either sex permit so apples to apples, permit to permit, they're paying 10x your cost. It's $442 for a license and deer tag for a NR in Oklahoma and we welcome all comers. You're welcome to come as well.

09-Jan-19

09-Jan-19
You don't need to buy a license in OK, just the tags I believe?

09-Jan-19
Don't kid yourself Does. There is nothing you offer more than being different or a nonresident. I have local and nonresident landowners that do the same for me. Just had a two hour conversation and dinner with a local farmer that lets me bird hunt

10-Jan-19
That would be news to me Sito. I'm not sure honestly. I do know residents have to have both a license and a tag, just like Kansas. I'm not sure why it would be any different for nonresidents.

10-Jan-19
It’s amazing because all the years I hunted Kansas I never had a problem with anyone. All the locals are so welcoming and are great people. I have made some great friends there. I love Kansas and in 3 to 5 years I will build a house and retire there. Then you guys will really be stuck with me lol. Will be back in late April this year looking for sheds, checking cameras, checking stands and hanging with friends.

10-Jan-19
you have to buy a license in ok

10-Jan-19

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
NR's don't ;?)

You can call and check, but it's included in the cost of the tag.

10-Jan-19
Slate, I wonder if once you move there and become a resident will you still be bad cause you were once not a resident?

10-Jan-19
Being an NR doesn't make anyone good or bad...that's determined by other factors.

10-Jan-19
Yea no Joke people are great even the hunters I have met and became friends with. We share property try and help each other out etc. After I shot my buck last season I had 2 mature bucks on my camera still so I tried getting my friends daughter a resident set up on one. No luck so they are probably still around. Last week another resident was on my property with his rifle trying to shoot some doe. Some of the guys on this Kansas forum are a bit tough on NR but, I get it. Eric some of the old timers are set in their ways and will always look at me as a NR. I enjoy the hunting and I love and respect everything about it. I don’t know what the hunting was like before it was commercialized but I think that’s what residents bitch about mostly.

10-Jan-19
Thanks Todd, keep doing good!

10-Jan-19
That is why many properties are void of old bucks. NR leases it, shoots one and sees there are two left so he lets his friends shoot them. Moves on to another property the next year because there are no bucks left.

10-Jan-19
No Jason that’s not me the property is mine. I have no plans of getting rid of it. I saw over 20 bucks on my property in 2018 and think of the ones I didn’t see. Shooting 2 mature bucks off my property is perfectly fine but only one got killed that I know of anyway. One of the bucks looked Iike he was going backwards as far as antler growth. The deer are not meant to save. They meant to be shot and eaten. I like when they are mature other hunters don’t care. I have found 2 other properties to lease for 3 friends from PA and they have been leasing those same properties for 6 years. They don’t always practice shooting mature deer but that is their choice.

• Sitka Gear