Mulehorn 04-Apr-19
HEAD DOCTOR 23-Apr-19
BOHNTR 29-Apr-19
05-Jan-19

hunting dad's embedded Photo
Kawas Javelina
Kawas Javelina
My friend James from Hawaii did it again. New years pig. If I could shoot straighter, we would have doubled.

05-Jan-19

50lb. boar
50lb. boar
Well I finally got it done at 40yds.

05-Jan-19
Congratulations, Kevin. Those look like nice ones! I bounced an arrow off the shoulder blade of a nice one this afternoon....he turned as I released and the arrow just glanced off...

06-Jan-19
Keep at it Marvin. Took me 3 trys . Missed one the day before at 15ft.

10-Jan-19
WOW Kawa shot a monster!

10-Jan-19
Elkman, when we got home we forgot to weigh it before taking it apart. I'm still kicking myself for that. After the pack out, Kawa swears it was a 100 lbs. LOL

11-Jan-19
That is a big Javi for sure.

13-Jan-19
What is the problem fellas! Seriously that tough this year?

13-Jan-19
I agree, someones gotta be killing. Right? I'm sidelined this year after shoulder surgery and bicep reattachment, but hope to get the daughter out next weekend. I will be able to lift the binos after 6 weeks!

13-Jan-19
Dave, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Shouldn't have been shooting an 80+ LB bow all those years! Ha I've been a little hampered by a broken toe too, but I'm getting out a little when I can. I think the fact that it seems to rain/snow at least part of each weekend has probably kept some of the bowhunters out of the field this year.

13-Jan-19
I'll be chasing them with my bow in a few weeks during HAM hunt. I doubt they have much to worry about though as I have not killed one in quite a few years. At least I'm not HEAT.

14-Jan-19
I have the HAM hunt as well, but I think I may have been overly optimistic about shooting my .50 cal. on my repaired shoulder. Handgun? Sure, why not. I really dont want to actually hit and kill one, but I am dying to get outdoors after 5 weeks of being a one armed homebody. Depending on the recovery, or lack of, I may be going to the dark side with a cross bow next year.

15-Jan-19
NOOOO!

16-Jan-19

stykzz's embedded Photo
stykzz's embedded Photo
Tagged out opening day about two hours into the hunt. Spent the rest of the week trying to help my buddy get one. Two of the mornings it was 16 degrees when we left the house we were staying at. Brrrr!!! That was a little chilly for “Sunny Arizona”! Had a great time!

16-Jan-19
Nice job with the recurve, I started out with one, and remember how nice the simplicity was.

17-Jan-19

Carbon Chaos's embedded Photo
2018 Skunk Pig
2018 Skunk Pig
Skewered a pig in the December OTC hunt. These critters are fun to hunt. Now I'm working on my 2019 OTC tag. Good stuff!

17-Jan-19
Great photo

17-Jan-19
Did I miss something? December OTC javelina?

19-Jan-19
My bad. Evidently there is a December OTC urban archery javelina hunt. I must have been riding around in the ranger with my dogs when they approved this hunt. Learn something new everyday. Congratulations.

19-Jan-19
Thanks Knothead. Thanks Elkman. Yes there is an urban archery OTC hunt. Tag is valid in the Phoenix and Tucson metro units listed in the regs during the entire month of January and the last half of December each calendar year and you don't have to deal with the draw. Check it out.

19-Jan-19
Way to go stykzz..kick'n it old school, good for you!! Recurve with wood arrows and turkey wing fleth. Great picture. Congrats..

19-Jan-19

2019 Bring'n home the bacon
2019 Bring'n home the bacon
I schwacked this Javelina today using the same arrow and broad head as last month. Back-to-back months is pretty cool filling my 2018 and 2019 tags. It doesn't always happen that way but take if you can get it! I'm done for a year now until I can chase these things again. Been a lot of fun chasing these stinkers the last four weeks.

20-Jan-19
Dang.......... that looks a lot bigger than the 35-40 lb pigs I normally shoot. You still have some time left to chase deer and quail. Nice job.

20-Jan-19
Although I didn't weigh it, I estimate it was around 70 lbs. Yup the focus shifts to deer now.

21-Jan-19
Looks like a golf course pig.

22-Jan-19
It really does...

03-Feb-19
Are a lot of you guys seeing less Javelina/Javelina activity? I am kind of getting that feed back from A LOT of sources this year. I know we hunted 3 known areas hard this year and saw one sounder of 3 pigs. Was absolutely crazy. Hunted hard too, 8-10 hour days from dawn till dusk.(3 glassers) Everything was very green, but locals said it was a VERY dry year over all I guess? Just wondering what you guys think.

08-Feb-19

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

08-Feb-19
I will be chasing them with my bow this weekend on a HAM tag. Hopefully we can get on a herd.

08-Feb-19
Nice Pig Elkman!

11-Feb-19

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

16-Feb-19

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Wife's big ol' boar she arrowed Wednesday.

16-Feb-19
Awesome Roy! There's never been a Javelina taken in that unit that made the bowhunting record book, but as we discussed it looks like hers will. Congratulate Anne for me!

21-Feb-19
Stickflicker, I was thinking the other day about the javelina entries in the book. You know I’ve killed more than 10 Javelina with my bow and not a single one of them makes the book minimum! Some big pigs too! Does that seem odd?

21-Feb-19

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
And though not archery, have to share my daughter’s first big game kill! :-)

21-Feb-19
Chris,

The vast majority of record book Javelina come from Southern Arizona. My largest placed around 50th in the bowhunting book when I took it (just North of Phoenix) and, as I recall, it was the third largest ever taken/entered from a unit North of Casa Grande. I just glanced at the new book that will be released in a couple weeks, and there are still fewer than 5 out of the top 50 taken North of Casa Grande.

21-Feb-19
Wow! That’s pretty interesting!

21-Feb-19

HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
78 pounds field dressed.
78 pounds field dressed.
This is my hunting partners kill. I have been keeping records of Javelina weights for a long time and this is one of the largest boars I have ever seen. Usually the breeding sows are the largest in the herd. The boar weighed 90 pounds whole and 78 pounds field dressed. I have a full mount of a sow that weighed 81-3/4#'s. Skull measured, if I remember correctly, 14.6 inches. The skull measured (green) 15.6 inches. He was 41 inches long from nose to butt. He was guided by Ward's outfitters.

28-Feb-19
Casa Grande is not north of Phx. And a 78 lb.Javelina ?I would sh1t and eat it If you ever shot a Pig that big!????

28-Feb-19
I don't believe anyone said that Casa Grande was north of Phoenix.

28-Feb-19
Re-read his post. He didn’t say casa grande is north of Phoenix.

01-Mar-19

62# field dressed. Vortex 75 grain 2 inch cutting width.
62# field dressed. Vortex 75 grain 2 inch cutting width.
Here is a 62 pound field dressed one taken on the Ham Hunt. It was also a boar and taken with Ward's outfitters. He shot it at 10 yards. It took them 3 hours to get a shot at it.

04-Mar-19
There's a record book for Javelina? Like B&C? Or P&Y? What will they think of next... LMAO

17-Mar-19
I now have a new goal. I want to shoot an 80 pound pig to see if Dirtclod is a man of his word.LOL

02-Apr-19
ELKMAN:

The Bowhunting in Arizona (BIA) Records Program measures all species of animals in the state using the B&C / P&Y scoring system. They also measure turkeys (spur length) and javelina skulls (just like a bear-length and width). Obviously, P&Y and/or B&C does not measure those species, however the state does. It’s a great addition we have, IMO.......you never know, Javelina Just may be a measurable animal for the big Clubs as well someday.

03-Apr-19

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo

StickFlicker's Link
Since both Javelina and Turkey are classified as big game animals in Arizona (and Javelina is classified as big game in every state in which it's hunted), I'm not sure why it seems strange to include it in a records program for big game trophies of North America? Javelina is a native big game species of North America and occurs in good numbers across Arizona, New Mexico and Texas (and into Mexico). I definately think it should have its own record category in the state record programs of those states as well as P&Y and B&C. The skull is measured (length+width) just like a bear or lion. The only difference (in Arizona's records at least) is that the front teeth are not included in the length measurement like they are with bears and lions. There is a bony ridge that runs just above the top teeth, and the measurement is taken to the front of that ridge. In a state that produces a very large number of top ranking P&Y and B&C animals across a large number of species, Javelina is actually one of the most popularly entered animals in Arizona's bowhunting records program (that BOHNTR mentioned above). In the survey that P&Y recently sent to its members, they ask if Javelina should be included in the records, and I definitely think it should! Thousands are taken by bowhunters each year, which would generate large amounts of entry fees for P&Y. And it's a native big game species of NA, so what's the downside?

03-Apr-19
SCI includes Javelina's in their record book. They measure the skull a little different than the Bowhunting in Arizona. Length is measured from the back of the skull to the front of the teeth instead of the skull on top of the teeth. We are still waiting for the bugs to eat the 78# Javelina Boar skull pictured above. Will keep you all posted. dirtclod....I will send you some meat!

04-Apr-19
I like what SCI does for hunting.....but I do not support their ‘records program’ due to their stance in accepting high fence (pen raised) animals. One of the reasons I will not measure for them.

04-Apr-19
It would be nice to see those pigs in a normal photo without trying to make them look like monsters because of the camera angle. Hunters know a big big from a normal photo, no need for the weird angles. Nice Javis though for sure. Congrats!

23-Apr-19

Here is a natural picture of the 78#er. Mark is 6' 4" tall.

29-Apr-19
It’s a big one.....not sure about 78# but nice nonetheless

• Sitka Gear