Mathews Inc.
Feedback of veterans of GMU's 2, 10 deer
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
OTC_Bowhunter 08-Jan-19
Jaquomo 08-Jan-19
Brun 10-Jan-19
08-Jan-19
I didn't want to hijack the other thread and ask about deer hunting. I am in a very similar situation but for deer. Should I put in for GMU 2, 10, 201? Should I pay a access fee or should I hunt public. I would love to hear any feedback. I am a NR, I have the PP's to draw and not a lot of time for scouting. Did anyone that was elk hunting these units see some good bucks? Thanks in advance for any advice, tactics and thoughts.

08-Jan-19
We saw a few whopper bucks on public in unit 2 while elk hunting. Then as soon as the velvet came off, by about September 5th, we didn't see any after that.

10-Jan-19
I went along on a rifle deer hunt in Unit 10 two seasons ago in the third season. Despite hearing from several sources that the deer populations were seriously depleted we saw lots of deer and had a good hunt. The hunter killed a nice buck [approx 180 inches] and several more in that category were sighted. I have spent a fair amount of time in those northwestern units and agree with above sentiment about archery season. The bucks seem to get harder to find once the velvet is off. Not sure which unit I would pick, they seem relatively equal and there is a lot of public land in all of them. I haven't really looked into the private land situation, so maybe you could find something I don't know about. I think it would be a fun hunt without much competition in any of those three units. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear