Dthfrmabove 07-Mar-19
peterk1234 07-Mar-19
Passthrough 08-Mar-19
BQP 10-Mar-19
bowandspear 10-Mar-19
Dthfrmabove 10-Mar-19
08-Jan-19
Bow and Spear,.. (or anyone)

Can ya tell me/us noobs how ya make them venison pastrami's? I got lots of venison and now am looking to check out different ways to prepare it,.. I saw your post/pics on those in another thread and got very curious.

Thanks

08-Jan-19
There was a link to cabelas recipe. I just went on amazon bought all the spices and tender quick. Anyone know what other meat would be good? My smoker is huge might as well make a lot.

08-Jan-19
My guess is any meat could benefit from a Pastrami lesson!

I will check out that cabelas recipe,. thanks Arrow.

08-Jan-19
B&S recipe is amazing! Just sayin'

08-Jan-19

Dthfrmabove's Link
Here you go B.B. I highly recommend B&S recipe here. Only thing I do is substitute the rub recipe for a copy cat Katz deli one I googled on the internet. I have made a half dozen of these and they never seem to last long in the house and the nonhunters jaw hits the floor when they find out it’s venison. I have been told to shoot more deer next year because of this recipe!!!!!

09-Jan-19
Sweet thank you,.. I will give this a try this summer and report back!

09-Jan-19
didn't know the recipe was already posted on here, was going to ask about this as well. I will be trying it soon!

10-Jan-19

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
Arrownoob's embedded Photo

10-Jan-19
I’m in for that pastrami. I’m not happy there’s propylene glycol in tenderquick but you rinse it off anyway.

11-Jan-19

bowandspear's embedded Photo
Yah sorry I have not been on here in a few days. Thanks DFA, that is the recipe. In the final rub I add Caraway seeds and sometimes substitute the mixed black pepper corns I grind in spice grinder for the plain black ground pepper. You can experiment with adding different aromatic spices to the rub to try. I have 8 pastramis that today is the last day of curing. Tomorrow they go in to smoker, cool. Then go into my belly :)

11-Jan-19
Hey Bow,.. This spring when it warms up I will post my results and info,..

My smoker will not function in these temps,.. but I am very much looking forward to this.

Thanks for all the info!

11-Jan-19
I used cherry wood with excellent results... after smoking I wrapped them in foil with a little water, let them steam on the smoker for 15-30min, rest in the unopened foil for another 15minutes on the table, and it was a gift straight from God himself

12-Jan-19

Today was end if cure and smoker day. 8 beautious, wonderous, cured for 1 week, zone 11, acorn fed, rock n roll alchemy venison pastramis . And yes PLH, that's the shiz! You can also add a touch if beef broth to foil and then stick in oven to reheat.

12-Jan-19

8 venison pastramis
8 venison pastramis
One or two of these have "Bowsite ice fishing get together" written all over them.

23-Feb-19

Dan6310's embedded Photo
Dan6310's embedded Photo
BowandSpear, That recipe is awesome, Thank You for sharing. I finished one today. incredible!Best tasting pastrami in a long time. It didn't last long. Pared it with some homemade rye bread. I will be doing this again.

28-Feb-19
My Curing salt showed up yesterday. Project Pastrami has been executed. Pete

28-Feb-19
I'm going to try this soon. I have half a dozen roasts in the freezer. I'll have to share with my friend bc I don't have a smoker (yet).

05-Mar-19

peterk1234's embedded Photo
That recipe was awesome! Thank you guys. Made one out of venison and another is beef. I think I used too much of the curing mix on the venison because it is a bit over salted. Other than that, it is really good. The beef came out perfect. I cured the beef for one day less because it was thinner.

Tonight the pastrami will be served on toasted french bread, horseradish spread and melted Brie cheese. Pete

05-Mar-19
Dan6310, I find myself returning to this thread over and over just to look at that picture.

Problem is I keep drooling into my keyboard...

06-Mar-19
Wow - this thread makes me hungry!!! Amazing food prep folks!

06-Mar-19
Pete. I always rinse my pastrami first. Cold water dunk for 15 min then change the water and dunk again for another 15 min

06-Mar-19
The salt was actually ok. I soaked it in water overnight in the fridge.

It was a huge hit with family. Brought some to my parents this morning. They loved it and my dad is usually not a fan of wild game.

07-Mar-19
Peter yes after curing time I rinse off them soak in cold water overnight in fridge before drying, applying rub and smoking. Tasty stuff huh all? St Paddy's Day coming up, time to whip out some goodness. I swear now I try to one deer every year just to make a few Pastramis to get me through the off season.

07-Mar-19
This recipe might be the downfall of the deer population in Z11 this year !!!!!

07-Mar-19
B&S, that is stupid good tasting. After tonight it will be gone. I have to go online and figure out what else I can cure!

08-Mar-19
Drooling..... I just took out 2 roasts. Time to try this recipe. I did corned venison last year. This years its pastrami. I think I need to kill more deer.

10-Mar-19

BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
After all the pastrami talk it was time to try it out. Saved one roast for it this year, next year will have to be more. This sandwich was incredible

10-Mar-19
Love it! I have a friend who aged a venison prosciutto (entire back quarter with shank) for 6 months and said it was incredible. I may have to "surplus doe tag" a one-handed dragger this season just for this.

DFA right?!? From the time you make this you are no longer looking at the horns when they walk in... you are saying to yourself "Look at the Pastramis on that one!"

Almost St. Paddy's Day, time to thaw one out :) You all did this recipe proud. look at those beauties. I would be interested to here anyone's variations on the recipe, if you experimented with changing the rub or ? Like the Katz deli recipe? Do tell ?

10-Mar-19
B&S. I made venison Osso buco the other night. Between the pastrami recipe and that. There isn’t going to be a safe deer in the woods down here!!! I have started to look at things differently with that recipe and so have a few friends that have tried it. I am going to expand my hunting areas this year so when I seal the deal I won’t blow the place out for a couple weeks. 3 doe tags down here isn’t going to be enough

• Sitka Gear