Will 10-Jan-19
awalk228 10-Jan-19
1SG Ret 10-Jan-19
mattthehairy 10-Jan-19
awalk228 10-Jan-19
Public land hunter 11-Jan-19
1SG Ret 11-Jan-19
09-Jan-19
I realize that this happened in Texas and I never brought it up on here because for one, I was wicked embarrassed that I didn't think it through. Two I never thought he would be found. A little less than 4 weeks ago I was in Texas hunting and I was in a ground blind Bow hunting. The only chair I had to put in there had arm rests but I didnt think anything of it. On the last day with about 10 minutes of light left I had a beautiful 9 with a kicker come out. He got to about 15 yards broadside and I pulled back but he moved a bit to his left. I'm a righty. I moved with him and when he settled back down I released only to hear a super loud PING! I immediately knew that the string had struck the arm rest and I saw the arrow go all over and ended up hitting him between the hip and ribs and high. Which is probably the worst luck possible considering that arrow should have landed in California. I saw him run off and immediately started swearing. Looked for an hour that night before backing out and all day the next before we had to leave for back home. Thought i would never see him again and then a few days later I got a text from my friend who saw him, shot him in the neck with a .243 and dropped him. Went to get some help to load him and came back to where he dropped only to find a small puddle of blood and the deer gone. So now I'm thinking this deer is the toughest SOB and his will to live is unbelievable. I get a text today almost 4 weeks later with a picture of him dead. Couldn't have been dead for at most 3 days. The fact I can't get the meat and he suffered that long makes me feel like crap but the fact he was recovered is an unreal feeling. So lesson learned is no chairs with arm rests even though i know better, know where your string is coming through, and never give up hope on finding a deer mo matter how long.

09-Jan-19

awalk228's embedded Photo
awalk228's embedded Photo

09-Jan-19
Ouch nice buck sucks it ended that way!

10-Jan-19
Tough break. Good Buck.

10-Jan-19
Any word on where your arrow actually hit the deer?

10-Jan-19
Awalk where in Texas do you hunt? I hunt the hill country just outside of Fredericksburg. I go every year for a veterans hunt (minus this year). I got a 275lb axis last year.

10-Jan-19
Nice deer Awalk!

10-Jan-19
Awalk, he's a beauty. Sorry you had the experience you did... but glad to hear there was a conclusion to the story.

10-Jan-19
Thanks guys I appreciate it. MAbowhunter- he said pretty much right where I figured (i was using a lighted noc) which was high and in that space between the ribs and hip area. 1SG- my parents live in Ingram, TX but I hunt in Kerrville and also Mountain Home. Fredericksburg is a great town btw! And Axis in my opinion is the best meat around. Thats a boss at 275 haha

10-Jan-19
My axis mount was done in Kerrville at Heart of the Hills. I think we may have talked before about that. do you drive or fly when you go down there? I drive every year if you ever want to go

10-Jan-19
Glad it was recovered! That's a tough deer and a tough break for you.

10-Jan-19
I think we talked about this as well. I always fly just because of vacation time reasons. I appreciate the offer though! That's a hell of a drive. When do you usually go?

11-Jan-19
Great deer, great lesson, you will only be better. We will be better. Its not in vein

11-Jan-19
A walk I go around Veterans Day each year. About 5-6 of us sometimes more on about 115 acres

• Sitka Gear