Longcruise 11-Jan-19
PECO 11-Jan-19
Treeline 11-Jan-19
Glunt@work 12-Jan-19
goelk 14-Jan-19
Glunt@work 14-Jan-19
11-Jan-19

Grasshopper's Link
Guys, I need to use a lifeline with my trusted bowsite advisors, asking for your help.

I have drafted a CBA board survey, received what I have deemed adequate support board response, and am about ready to send it out.

Please take a look at the link, and be my beta testers. The survey is a copy, not the real survey I will use for vote tabulation. Please read it, take it, and let me know if I have errors. In the interest of time, I need to get this sent out and I am not willing to make significant changes that would require additional board approvals.

All questions are supposed to be mandatory. Please check that for me.

I am getting tired of looking at this thing, let me know if I have typos, left out words, blatant errors and other issues. I am struggling with what the language of the response options for the "bull only" questions should be to provide the respondent objective options.

Appreciate any help you can offer to improve the final survey. PM's are welcome.

11-Jan-19
Steve

Nice work

Just a couple minor thoughts

"Are you a resident or a nonresident" add a '?' at the end and maybe 'of Colorado'

"Are you a resident or a nonresident of Colorado?"

"According to CPW data, archery elk season participation has risen from approximately 24,000 to over 48000 in the last 15 years.

Add a comma to '48,000'

I also got the confirmation email that I took the survey

11-Jan-19
Good job, Steve. Thanks for your great work on this.

I still don't understand how having an earlier start to deer seasons will have any effect on elk crowding in OTC? Am I misinterpreting this? Almost seems like we're implying that people will hunt deer and go home instead of hunting elk when elk season starts.

11-Jan-19
Good question Lou. CPW has data has consistently shown average hunters hunt very few days. Rifle hunters are pitiful in days afield, bowhunters on average hunt more. CBA members hunt alot. Remember, we have alot of NR's, they have to make choices, and have vacation limitations. While one could argue the impact may be insignificant, I would argue we should try it and see if the data holds true, and what the hunters elect to do. Only time will tell, if nothing else it could be a really great deer hunt.

11-Jan-19
Looks pretty good Steve. Thanks for all the hard work!

Brad caught the comma and agree with the resident of Colorado comment.

There is no option to start elk season early with deer and extend the season dates? August 15 to September 30th?

The only options are to move elk to a later start and deer to an earlier start and only a 30 day archery season that we will continue to share with rifle cow elk, rifle early buck, rifle bear, rifle sheep, rifle goat, and then the muzzle loader deer, elk, and bear?

No options to reduce all the rifle hunters in archery season?

No option for an archery only bear season? Even a couple of days?

I know, I know wishful thinking. Just really trying to figure out this CPW concept of “fairness” with respect to bow hunting... As well as the CBA’s mission statement bullet #2 “to PROTECT, IMPROVE and INCREASE the opportunities for hunting with the hand held, hand drawn bow”

11-Jan-19
Steve, just submitted my responses. Overall good job. A few little errors that cnelk pointed out

11-Jan-19
Thanks Steve, one question or clarification.

Under: Under what circumstances do you support bull only licensing for archery? (check all that apply)

* Never, the basis for either sex licensing should be the difficult nature of the hunt.

I dont understand this option...

11-Jan-19
Done, Thanks for your work. Only Typo I found was this: "Bray has proposed a hard state date of September 1st" Think it should read "hard start date".

11-Jan-19
I took the survey, I have nothing to add to previous comments.

11-Jan-19
Tavis, BGSS scope has been set, defined and voted on by the commission. While your questions are valid, I don't believe we will have any influence to expand the BGSS scope beyond what is already defined based on our survey. The CBA board voted to have a narrow focus of requests, compared to other BGSS cycles where we had up to 10 change requests.

Commissioners could certainly push for and change the scope moving forward. Anything is possible on their end.

Thanks to all, will try to fix and clarify based on all feedback. Looking forward to getting this off my plate.

11-Jan-19
Took the survey as well.

With respect to bull only questions, I checked 3 boxes - 2, 3 follows from checking 2, and the last box because it will detrimentally impact bow hunting long term.

11-Jan-19
Thanks guys, no need to take this COPY anymore. I will post the real one shortly, which is the one I will use for vote tabulation.

11-Jan-19
Ok, I did the preliminary and it seemed to be closed but I was able to view the results. So, I guess we retake when notified?

11-Jan-19
Are you saying given the choice of deer or elk hunters for nonresidents, the nonresidents will choose deer and there will be less nonresidents then for elk hunting?

11-Jan-19
Nope, I am saying all hunters regardless of residency will make choices based on what they want to do. If adopted, there would be no deer hunters in the field after Sept 20th.

Some guys are high country deer fanatics, some are residetns some aren't. If the license total statewide is 11,000 - I would guess maybe 7 or 8,000 tags west of I-25 - but that is a guess. Shifting some of them may help, remains to be seen.

11-Jan-19
I'm for it. There are some Bowhunters who hunt deer only. Many of them may plan most or all of their hunting for the period preceding September 1st. Way back, archery season for deer and elk started on August 15th. That was lost to landowner pressure.

11-Jan-19
So, am I the only one who does not want to hunt deer when it is 90 degrees and the bucks are still in velvet? Aug 15th? No thanks. No problem, I'll use my bow and hunt rifle season, private land.

11-Jan-19
Hell Peco, I get snowed on in August where I hunt!

Doubt it has ever got up to 90 up in the high country.

I have hunted deer in the desert in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada when it was definitely above 90. Never had an issue with meat, capes or velvet antlers.

Heck, I would love to have elk season start the middle of August! Hell yea!

12-Jan-19
The only decent muley spot I have is one of the early high country rifle spots so the extra time would be a big plus. The basins I like empty out very quickly without carefully applied pressure. I realize there are plenty of decent spots to hunt muleys without competing with that rifle season, I just haven't nailed one down. I always concentrated on elk when Sept starts. Having a couple weeks of deer season by it's self could change that.

14-Jan-19
Looks good! Thanks for your hard work much appreciated.

14-Jan-19

• Sitka Gear